Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Don’t bite

I think D Kearney played well in the limited time he got in Ireland warm up matchs and has continued that run of form. The fact he has got a decent run of games without an injury has helped

Could we see him and Lowe start on wings in Europe?

Meh, if anyone waltzed into the Connacht thread with that attitude we’d all be carded so I’ll entertain it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He hasn't played 15 for Leinster? I can't remember seeing him play 15? could be wrong of course. Did he play 15 in NZ?

Lancaster has mentioned a few times Larmour is a quality 15, when he got his chance during WC he was very good. He has never got a run of games at 15 for Leinster. Give him 10 starts in a row and see how he goes. He had some decent games last season, just everyone remembers the Toulouse game when he was out of position but that was his ?? start at 15?

I'd much prefer Larmour receiving the ball in space from a strong creative distributor (maybe the answer is O'Brien) than another of our wingers relying on him to put them in space. He's a world class open field runner and finisher, he's nowhere near that in any other area of his game. So seems completely obvious to me you'd put him in a position where you can take advantage of his talents.

It's not because I have any problem with him as a 15, I think he's decent there. I just think he's potentially world class (right now) as a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'd much prefer Larmour receiving the ball in space from a strong creative distributor (maybe the answer is O'Brien) than another of our wingers relying on him to put them in space. He's a world class open field runner and finisher, he's nowhere near that in any other area of his game. So seems completely obvious to me you'd put him in a position where you can take advantage of his talents.

It's not because I have any problem with him as a 15, I think he's decent there. I just think he's potentially world class (right now) as a winger.

people throw around the world class phrase too easily, just been thinking which of our current players would make into arguably the top 3 teams in the world, South Africa, England and New Zealand. the only one I can think of his Tadgh Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

typhoony wrote: »
    people throw around the world class phrase too easily, just been thinking which of our current players would make into arguably the top 3 teams in the world, South Africa, England and New Zealand. the only one I can think of his Tadgh Furlong.

I said potentially world class.

We've all seen what Larmour is capable of when given a bit of space. If he can do that regularly against top opposition (requires actually being put in a position to do that) then I could easily see him being considered a world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Toner was excellent last night btw. Really made a mess of the Dragons lineouts. I also liked that he called our opening throws to go to Baird. Really settled the younger player into the game in what was his first start. Fardy and Ryan contribute more around the pitch, but Toner still had a pivotal role to play in this team.

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten that Robin McBryde, the Wales forwards coach, is due to join Leinster soon. It's always important to get fresh voices into the coaching set up. And certainly nobody can doubt the trophies he's won in his time as Wales forward coach. After what happened in the Champions Cup final it's important to get a fresh perspective about where we can improve.

I'm not sure what to think of this appointment though. Will it actually improve Leinster? At times Wales have functioned far better as a unit than they really should have. Individually, they've had no standout forwards other than AWJ and Warburton, but they always have years when they completely outperform expectations. But at other times they've looked absolutely clueless and lightweight. Gatland is such a huge figure that it's hard to say how much influence his coaches other than Edwards actually have.

I'm cautiously positive over this appointment. But nothing more for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's always hard to tell what a coach will do and how well they'll go outside of the setup they're coming from.

I mean look at how Lancaster finished up in England and how successful his appointment has been.

The Welsh pack has arguably been their strong point over the last two years, they don't have many standouts but their games are always won through that sort of Welsh arm wrestling style were grown accustomed to.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,580 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd forgotten that Robin McBryde, the Wales forwards coach, is due to join Leinster soon. It's always important to get fresh voices into the coaching set up. And certainly nobody can doubt the trophies he's won in the his as Wales forward coach. After what happened in the Champions Cup final it's important to get a fresh perspective about where we can improve.

I'm not sure what to think of this appointment though. Will it actually improve Leinster? At times Wales have functioned far better as a unit than they really should have. Individually, they've had no standout forwards other than AWJ and Warburton, but they always have years when they completely outperform expectations. But at other times they've looked absolutely clueless and lightweight. Gatland is such a huge figure that it's hard to say how much influence his coaches other than Edwards actually have.

I'm hoping that robyn Mcbride is now where John fogarty will be about three years time. He can bring vast test level experience with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'd forgotten that Robin McBryde, the Wales forwards coach, is due to join Leinster soon. It's always important to get fresh voices into the coaching set up. And certainly nobody can doubt the trophies he's won in the his as Wales forward coach. After what happened in the Champions Cup final it's important to get a fresh perspective about where we can improve.

If ever there was a reminder that test rugby is won up front it was the world cup final.

Mcbryde been in the test arena for 13 years (pretty sure he was in situ before gatland) and I feel Wales usually did better up front than I expected.

Is he guaranteed to work out with leinster? No. But it's a real coup of an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

FrannoFan wrote: »
    If ever there was a reminder that test rugby is won up front it was the world cup final.

Mcbryde been in the test arena for 13 years (pretty sure he was in situ before gatland) and I feel Wales usually did better up front than I expected.

Is he guaranteed to work out with leinster? No. But it's a real coup of an appointment.

I’d tend to agree, although not sure I’d call it a coup of an appointment, I’d imagine Leinster especially as far as club rugby goes is a much sought after place currently, getting to work with a lot of test quality forwards and a pile of up and coming ones too is surely an attractive proposition especially with the rest of the ticket seems to be so highly thought of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I know Jackman has a personal connection with Dragons players given his time coaching there but he could do with relaxing about their ability, has described around half the team as being outstanding players at this stage.

Maybe he's hoping Dragons fans will say something nice about him.

With Munster signing Damian De Allende I reckon Leinster should go for Big Brodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

With Munster signing Damian De Allende I reckon Leinster should go for Big Brodie.

Don’t you know, it’s different rules for them and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Don’t you know, it’s different rules for them and us.

Wait, do we not have a RWC finalist on our payroll?

We certainly can't complain about the standard of NIQs/Projects over the last few years we've been allowed sign.

Snyman to Munster as well, according to Cian Tracey on the Indo. It'll be interesting to see how the other provinces build their squads in the future. Ulster are crying out for a brute of a forward far more than Munster are.

I can see Leinster holding off signing any foreign players and using the academy instead, unless a huge name becomes available like Fardy did a few years ago. At the minute we're churning out a lot of quality and I've high hopes for Baird, Dunne, Kelleher and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

With Lowe, Fardy and Tomane Leinster have a full quota. I expect Fardy to leave at end of season and Lowe to be Irish qualified which means we would have two spots open. I hope Tomane stays for another few seasons.

I still think we need a Fardy type second row player to teach the young second rows the dark arts. Give them a view of the World outside Ireland, Toner should be still knocking around.

Will be interesting to see who they sign

Leone Nakarawa please Santy.

A month ago we'd have killed for a decent NIQ hooker, but with Kelleher's performances so far I'm more than happy to keep things the way they are with Cronin on the bench and give Kelleher a good few more starts.

Second row we currently have Ryan, Toner, Molony, Baird, Dunne and Charlie Ryan in the academy. Dev's contract is up this summer, if he doesn't renew and Fardy isn't extended or retires, then I think we'll have to go NIQ as we need that experience. The young lads show great potential and could be the real deal, but Molony being the most experienced lock in the side at 25 would be a concern.

Fardy not on his 3rd contract now? its the rule he cant get another after 3?

Fardy not on his 3rd contract now? its the rule he cant get another after 3?

Nah he signed a 2 year deal originally and a one year extension.

Besides we all know that rule only applies to Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leone Nakarawa please Santy.

A month ago we'd have killed for a decent NIQ hooker, but with Kelleher's performances so far I'm more than happy to keep things the way they are with Cronin on the bench and give Kelleher a good few more starts.

Second row we currently have Ryan, Toner, Molony, Baird, Dunne and Charlie Ryan in the academy. Dev's contract is up this summer, if he doesn't renew and Fardy isn't extended or retires, then I think we'll have to go NIQ as we need that experience. The young lads show great potential and could be the real deal, but Molony being the most experienced lock in the side at 25 would be a concern.

That'll be 3 NIQ locks in a row for Leinster...

Nah he signed a 2 year deal originally and a one year extension.

Besides we all know that rule only applies to Ulster.

Another year woudnt be a terrible signing for Leinster

awec wrote: »

Yeah. I mean in the same vein that it's now going to be 3 NIQ centres for Munster with De Allende (after Saili and Taute) or Ulster with Williams, Coetzee and Deysel (albeit the last is a weak example).

Yeah. I mean in the same vein that it's now going to be 3 NIQ centres for Munster with De Allende (after Saili and Taute) or Ulster with Williams, Coetzee and Deysel (albeit the last is a weak example).

Ahh but it’s not fair because........well it’s just not fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

With Lowe, Fardy and Tomane Leinster have a full quota. I expect Fardy to leave at end of season and Lowe to be Irish qualified which means we would have two spots open. I hope Tomane stays for another few seasons.

I still think we need a Fardy type second row player to teach the young second rows the dark arts. Give them a view of the World outside Ireland, Toner should be still knocking around.

If they do extend on Tomane, I'd say Conor O'Brien should look for the exit door. If he went down to New Zealand and the Crusaders, he could be qualified for a black shirt in little more than 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Snyman to Munster as well, according to Cian Tracey on the Indo. It'll be interesting to see how the other provinces build their squads in the future. Ulster are crying out for a brute of a forward far more than Munster are.

I can see Leinster holding off signing any foreign players and using the academy instead, unless a huge name becomes available like Fardy did a few years ago. At the minute we're churning out a lot of quality and I've high hopes for Baird, Dunne, Kelleher and the like.

Yeah Coetzee is just too light and soft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hope we trust our areas of strength in the next year or two. We've a glut of highly rated locks coming through alongside the already established figures of Molony, Toner and Ryan. Absolutely no need for a NIQ lock to replace Fardy. Toner will be stepping back from test rugby so Ryan will be the only one unavailable.

We continue to be relatively comfortable at centre and halfback looks solid enough for the next couple of seasons. There's a case for a back three player, arguably. Kearney and McFadden are close to retirement, Daly and Byrne are injured a significant portion of each season it would seem and I don't think Kelleher is near the required standard. We're likely to lose Lowe and Larmour to test duty next season also.

Prop is the other position that is potentially going to require support (assuming Kelleher continues the way he's going at hooker). Healy is 33 next season. Furlong and Porter are embedded within the Irish 23. Bent will be 34. I wasn't surprised to see guys like Milne and Aungier getting game time so far this season as Cullen is probably keenly aware of the need to develop some props now.

I really don't want us to sign guys for the sake of it though. If players come through and are going well, I'd rather go with them and keep a NIQ spot in our pocket (although there is undoubtedly a sense of use it or lose it about the NIQ spots).

awec wrote: »

While at the same time providing Toner and Ryan to the national team and developing guys like Baird, Charlie Ryan and Dowling. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Agree with keeping Fardy but Tomane is surplus to requirements - doesnt offer anything that O'brien doesnt...would prefer to see O'Brien getting the gametime he deserves it.

Would use Tomanes spot to be filled with a brute of a ball carrier for when we inevitably meet Sarancens this season would love: A.Savea, Squire, S.Cane, Vermuelen (basically anyione in the springboks or All blacks) wont happen but can dream lol

• Advertisement

Agree with keeping Fardy but Tomane is surplus to requirements - doesnt offer anything that O'brien doesnt...would prefer to see O'Brien getting the gametime he deserves it.

Would use Tomanes spot to be filled with a brute of a ball carrier for when we inevitably meet Sarancens this season would love: A.Savea, Squire, S.Cane, Vermuelen (basically anyione in the springboks or All blacks) wont happen but can dream lol

Have you missed every game this season then? Because Tomane has been excellent. COB went fairly well against Dragons but nowhere near good enough to trouble Tomane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement