Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster already developed this player and by all accounts the IRFU were integral in ensuring they are now starting for Munster.

If Leinster don't strike lightning again I think a NIQ should be made available. I don't think this is unreasonable, Carbery was a loss not of Leinster's making.

Leinster developed this player by playing him in very few high level games at 10? Unlikely.

Carberry and Byrne are both great young players. It's not clear at all who is the better 10 or who will become the better 10 or even who would be starting at 10 if both were at Leinster today.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Absolutely true.

But Sexton was/is quicker than Byrne.....it helps.

Not really. If he ever was, it was marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Not really. If he ever was, it was marginal.

Not going to pretend I have both their running stats on hand, Sexton seems to make a lot more breaks/ground in open play though. IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not going to pretend I have both their running stats on hand, Sexton seems to make a lot more breaks/ground in open play though. IMO of course.

I'd say Sexton was easily quicker than Byrne, though at his age now who knows. In his youth certainly, far more of a threat with the ball.

I'd say Sexton was easily quicker than Byrne, though at his age now who knows. In his youth certainly, far more of a threat with the ball.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement

Ah he definitely does. But it's a smaller part of his game. He might make one of those breaks a game.

What's important, if they're not going to be creating scoring opportunities off their own breaks, is that they're attacking with ball in hand enough to make sure the opposition defense holds until they release the ball. Everything after that is a bonus (unless you're Beauden Barrett).

Sexton makes the choice to run with the ball slightly more often, but it's not a huge amount more. Byrne is also closing that gap. If you look at their last three games for Leinster each, both ran with the ball ~4 times (on average). Sexton made 1 clean break in those 3 games, that's the difference. To be fair Sexton was also probably playing much better opposition and minding himself for a world cup.

I think Byrne has potential to close that gap further. He'll never be a game breaking runner but he never needs to be so long as we can keep surrounding him with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Robin McBryde has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

he always looks like he should have a fag end and a bottle of Old Cellar in his hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Absolutely true.

But Sexton was/is quicker than Byrne.....it helps.

Sexton won the World Player of the Year.

He is the most successful 10 for Ireland and for Leinster and in Irish club rugby

Instead of trying to compare to the younger players coming up and then marking them down......should we not just look at these players and see their good points?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Perhaps but he also started a HEC final at 23 and was trusted enough to be the starting flyhalf the following season at 24 regardless of contepomi’s injury accelerating the plan by a few matches.

He was a slow burner but he was also further along at this stage of his career then Byrne. And was, to be blunt, just a better player.

Byrne is grand and all but he isn’t going to become a stellar player at this stage.

The only reason Sexton started that HEC final was because Contepomi was injured.

If Sexton was injured for a HEC final, you can guarantee Leo and Lancaster would have no problem starting Byrne in that game. He’s played in every other round to date and won them all.

• Advertisement

Leinster were in talks with Glen Jackson to come in as a replacement for Contepomi until the very last minute. They were certainly not convinced that Sexton was the answer. Although he was playing extremely well at times coming on for Contepomi (the back line moved so much better imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Every outhalf who plays for Leinster gets to play with a lot more go forward ball behind some amazing forwards. Trust me it is a huge difference. This applies to underage as well. I looked at Carty during the Last game where His pack was going backwards, it is tough. Forwards make 10’s look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leinster were in talks with Glen Jackson to come in as a replacement for Contepomi until the very last minute. They were certainly not convinced that Sexton was the answer. Although he was playing extremely well at times coming on for Contepomi (the back line moved so much better imo)
    That was what struck me back then. I think it was a match against the Dragons early in 2009 or perhaps late 2008 when he came on and the whole pace of the game went up a notch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Glen Jackson would have been 35 the season following Contepomi's departure and ended up retiring at the end of it. Being in talks for him to come in (and they were only pretty vague rumours seemingly) wouldn't necessarily indicate anything about their view on Sexton. By the time the semi final rolled around Sexton should have been starting ahead of Contepomi anyway. I believe the plan was still always to have Sexton as the primary flyhalf the following season, regardless of the semi and final in the HEC and how they turned out.

Nonetheless, I stand by the view that despite being a so-called late starter, Sexton had shown a lot more than Byrne has at the same age (which is not exactly unsurprising given the former is our greatest ever 10).

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Glen Jackson would have been 35 the season following Contepomi's departure and ended up retiring at the end of it. Being in talks for him to come in (and they were only pretty vague rumours seemingly) wouldn't necessarily indicate anything about their view on Sexton. By the time the semi final rolled around Sexton should have been starting ahead of Contepomi anyway. I believe the plan was still always to have Sexton as the primary flyhalf the following season, regardless of the semi and final in the HEC and how they turned out.

Nonetheless, I stand by the view that despite being a so-called late starter, Sexton had shown a lot more than Byrne has at the same age (which is not exactly unsurprising given the former is our greatest ever 10).

Sexton had shown more, certainly. But he had also been dropped down to play AIL due to his form falling off a cliff. He was far from the heir apparent until very late in that season. The plan was certainly not for him to inherit when they were sending him back to Mary's.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sexton won the World Player of the Year.

He is the most successful 10 for Ireland and for Leinster and in Irish club rugby

Instead of trying to compare to the younger players coming up and then marking them down......should we not just look at these players and see their good points?

I wasn't the one that compared him to Sexton initially, it was another poster. I was responding to the comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I just watched the match from Friday. Leinster were superb. The defense and tackling was superb. Especially Will Connors, who looks in fine form.
    I thought motm was Josh Murphy. He was great. The back row was astounding.
    Ross Byrne was very, very good. He is under rated by many here on the boards. Luke was great too. He just ups the tempo so well and is fearless.
    Once again J.O.B impressed me. He's developing very nicely, as is Keenan.
    Leinster were so dominant in the 1st half. It really is stunning how much depth there is. Tomane was very, very good.
    This weeks selection will be interesting. Obviously, Ringrose and VDF will most likely come back into the squad. Will Leo rest Furlong and James Ryan?
    Should be a heavy aspirin week for Leo!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Every outhalf who plays for Leinster gets to play with a lot more go forward ball behind some amazing forwards. Trust me it is a huge difference. This applies to underage as well. I looked at Carty during the Last game where His pack was going backwards, it is tough. Forwards make 10’s look good.

Absolutely - The best way to tell if your half-backs are really any good is to put them behind a pack getting beaten.

That's when you get a true measure of their decision making etc.

Lots of players can look great behind a dominant pack - Lima Sopoaga as a case in point.

Looked the biz in NZ behind a great pack , beyond mediocre though when behind a very average Wasps pack.

My guestimation of the team for the weekend. Have gone with the 'get best players on the pitch' approach to selection:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Toner
    Fardy
    VDF
    Ruddock
    JGP
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Henshaw (Tomane if Henshaw injured)
    Ringrose
    Kearney D
    Larmour

I reckon Larmour is going to be selected as first choice 15 for the remainder of the season.

I think Cronin is still injured.

JGP is playing great stuff atm.

Dave Kearney probably the most overall impressive of the remaining back three options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My guestimation of the team for the weekend. Have gone with the 'get best players on the pitch' approach to selection:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Toner
    Fardy
    VDF
    Ruddock
    JGP
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Ringrose
    Kearney D
    Larmour

I reckon Larmour is going to be selected as first choice 15 for the remainder of the season.

Dave Kearney probably the most overall impressive of the remaining back three options.

Has Super Rob been put out to grass? His selection in the RWC couldn't have been the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am not sure if JGP will get the start, McGrath got a run last week and that looks like it was to give him some time to get up to speed. I think you might see him start.....he needs to perform as JGP is playing well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Toner
    Fardy
    VDF
    Ruddock
    JGP
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Ringrose
    Kearney D
    Larmour

It’s a great opportunity to play someone less experienced in the back row I think, I think one of Doris, Deegan or even Penny might get a start, probably Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Toner
    Fardy
    VDF
    Ruddock
    JGP
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Ringrose
    Kearney D
    Larmour

i could see ryan furlong and sexton on bench
    focus on the away game the week after

it might be europe but it is Benneton who have lost 4 from 6 this season so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s a great opportunity to play someone less experienced in the back row I think, I think one of Doris, Deegan or even Penny might get a start, probably Doris.

agree
    i reckon dorris at 8 with vdf and ruddock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am not sure if JGP will get the start, McGrath got a run last week and that looks like it was to give him some time to get up to speed. I think you might see him start.....he needs to perform as JGP is playing well

Thought his passing was rubbish. Lots of high ones. Was I seeing things?

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

Nah his passing was solid. Leinster were playing very expansive rugby so some of his longer efforts were high.

For Porters try his pass to Tomane was high but his inside dink to Kelleher was pure filth.

I just think Gibson Park is in top form and our phase play seems to have a bit more zip with him at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

I didn't think his passing was great either, being high isn't fatal but he kept making the receiver check their run I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I didn't think his passing was great either, being high isn't fatal but he kept making the receiver check their run I thought.

Yep always underwhelmed with mCgraths passing..always thought marmions pass allowed the ball carrier to run on to it more

I prefer JGP he picks from the base which means the defensive line cant just shoot up and must hols their ground similar to Ben Youngs

Him picking from the base also adds momentum because hes moving forward , speeds up ruck ball and allows our outside ball carriers to hit the line running

Its why our attack can look static sometimes when Mcgraths playing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Scott Penny, Ryan Baird, Cian Kelleher, Bryan Byrne and Ciaran Frawley added to the Champions Cup squad, replacing
    Dan Leavy, Jack Conan, Fergus McFadden, Vakh Abdaladze and Barry Daly.

Ben Healy added to Munster's squad, which probably puts paid to the Harry Byrne rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Serbian wrote: »
    ...Ben Healy added to Munster's squad, which probably puts paid to the Harry Byrne rumours.

Cummisky scored twice there. Annoying Leinster fans, and getting a lot of clicks.

He's a fool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement