Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Darce makes a similar point today. Sending one of Frawley or Harry out on a season long loan to another Pro 14 team makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Darce makes a similar point today. Sending one of Frawley or Harry out on a season long loan to another Pro 14 team makes a lot of sense.

Didn’t both Roux and Cooney leave on loan? Not sure Leinster would be happy to loan out a quality youngster if they might not get them back. I think Nucifora should be setting up a system for loan players and the parents club getting some benefit/assurances over what happens after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Serbian wrote: »
    Ben Healy added to Munster's squad, which probably puts paid to the Harry Byrne rumours.

There was no such rumour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Unless they send him down to SA I wouldn't bother with pro14

Send him to Oz or NZ or some other country to get some different experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭PMC83

There was no such rumour

But there was though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

PMC83 wrote: »
    But there was though!

There wasn't, there was the musings of a journalist about ways Munster might fill a gap. There was no suggestion that anyone was actually pursuing it but it was taken up wrong on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Didn’t both Roux and Cooney leave on loan? Not sure Leinster would be happy to loan out a quality youngster if they might not get them back. I think Nucifora should be setting up a system for loan players and the parents club getting some benefit/assurances over what happens after.

Jeremy Loughman as well, went down to Munster on a short term loan spell and signed a contract extension.

I can't think of any examples of players going on loan and actually returning to their home province at the end of their original loan period.

Jeremy Loughman as well, went down to Munster on a short term loan spell and signed a contract extension.

I can't think of any examples of players going on loan and actually returning to their home province at the end of their original loan period.

I’ve no issue with any of them really, the players all benefited but I’d say the clubs themselves aren’t likely to see it as a chance for someone to develop a bit then come back better.

but it was taken up wrong on boards.

It was discussed as speculation. Few if any took it as anything more so not sure what your trying to suggest here.

That said, sometimes journalists post speculation because they've heard something that goes a bit further than speculation, some times it's guess work. Wouldn't be the first time a move like that has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

There wasn't, there was the musings of a journalist about ways Munster might fill a gap. There was no suggestion that anyone was actually pursuing it but it was taken up wrong on boards.

By the literal definition of rumour, it was a rumour.

I think blaming Boards (and various other places) of misinterpreting this is nonsense. Cummiskey wasn't musing, he knew what he was up to and was after the clickbait / outraged reactions.

• Advertisement

Serbian wrote: »
    By the literal definition of rumour, it was a rumour.

I think blaming Boards (and various other places) of misinterpreting this is nonsense. Cummiskey wasn't musing, he knew what he was up to and was after the clickbait / outraged reactions.

Was there outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Was there outrage?

Not here maybe, but elsewhere yes. It is the internet after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anyone else impressed with Connors? I think he's really been good. With VDF, Penny and Connors we're loaded.
    Connors tackling technique is awesome. In around the ankles! I'm so happy he didn't head west to Connacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Yep Connors has been exceptional, love seeing this talent at Leinster but the thing that annoys me is all of these guys should be in Ireland contention in the coming years: VDF, Penny, Leavy, Connors

....But because they are all in leinster less talented alternatives in other provinces who are getting more gametime due to less competition for spaces may get in ahead of some of them for ireland spots..

It'll be an interesting dilema for Farrell

Yep Connors has been exceptional, love seeing this talent at Leinster but the thing that annoys me is all of these guys should be in Ireland contention in the coming years: VDF, Penny, Leavy, Connors

....But because they are all in leinster less talented alternatives in other provinces who are getting more gametime due to less competition for spaces may get in ahead of some of them for ireland spots..

It'll be an interesting dilema for Farrell

Vdf Leavy and SOB all play the same position for Leinster and Ireland and seemed to all get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The sad thing is that playing openside flanker is such a physically demanding job, we most likely will never see a scenario where all 7's are for at the same time.

VDF was first choice openside for Ireland in 2018, was injured in the first 6 Nations game and missed the rest of the season. Leavy missed most of last season and will miss all of this one too. Connors missed all of last season as well. SOB spent the best part of 5 years broken too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Leavy and VdF have been, and will continue to be in contention when they are not injured, don't really understand why you've included them. They both have more caps for Ireland than Penny and Connors do for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

aloooof wrote: »
    Leavy and VdF have been, and will continue to be in contention when they are not injured, don't really understand why you've included them. They both have more caps for Ireland than Penny and Connors do for Leinster.

Your missing the point, now there are four competing for the spot as opposed to 2

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

VDF is still undisputed first choice. Connors, Penny are great but VDF is an athletic freak.

Your missing the point, now there are four competing for the spot as opposed to 2

There were 3 internationals for the last few years and penny and Connors still got a bit of game time at 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

salmocab wrote: »
    There were 3 internationals for the last few years and penny and Connors still got a bit of game time at 7

I guess the problem is that Will Connors is 23 and he has 5 Leinster caps. Tom Curry is more than 2 years younger has 17 England caps and 48 Sale caps.

I respect Leinster not rushing young players. I also find it problematic that we wait so long to test players properly because from a career point of view some players are pretty old by the time they realise they're not going to make it.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I guess the problem is that Will Connors is 23 and he has 5 Leinster caps. Tom Curry is more than 2 years younger has 17 England caps and 48 Sale caps.

I respect Leinster not rushing young players. I also find it problematic that we wait so long to test players properly because from a career point of view some players are pretty old by the time they realise they're not going to make it.

Not to be knocking Connors who I really rate but if he was Tom curry he’d have forced his way through.
    I’m not really arguing for the system more that with the attrition in the back row these days there are always jerseys up for grabs. Players are likely very often to want to be in the mix at a top club rather than starting at a mid table club. Especially one with a top coaching ticket and a reputation for using homegrown talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Faugheen wrote: »
    VDF is still undisputed first choice. Connors, Penny are great but VDF is an athletic freak.

He's only holding the jersey warm till Leavy returns

Would Tom Curry have broken through in a four province set up? its not comparing like with like. Connors like a few other lads will have to move to make a career.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    He's only holding the jersey warm till Leavy returns

Leavy couldn’t get in ahead of VDF when they were both fit so I don’t know how he’ll be able to manage after a near two-year lay-off.

Leavy was clearly first choice i think. The better player, but yeah who knows with the injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would Tom Curry have broken through in a four province set up?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leavy was clearly first choice i think. The better player, but yeah who knows with the injury

Leavy was absolutely exceptional in 2018. Was a key player for the Slam and Euro Cup win. For me he easily kept his place for both Leinster and Ireland but even before the knee he just couldn't stop getting injured. Came on for SOB against Argentina in 2018 AIs, was a massive improvement and showed he really should have started, but then wasn't fit for the NZ game so missed out to VdF.

Just musing to myself here but Marmion started both those tests against Argentina and NZ, showed he was up to the task, but his stock has really dropped since. I honestly don't watch a huge amount of Connacht so what is it, has his form dipped significantly?

On topic - hopefully the management stay relatively true to the players who've started so well for them this season. Backrow and back three in particular I'm thinking. Porter has really made a case for himself, Kelleher should 100% start at hooker, he's not a young Irish player but Tomane has been excellent and deserves a go.
    Would Tom Curry have broken through in a four province set up?
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes

I don't think there's any chance Curry would be as far along in his career if he was Irish as opposed to being English. We wouldn't have capped him as an 18 year old for sure, and we'd be here trotting out nonsense like 'oh he's not ready yet'.

In big games VDF always started at 7 even at the beginning of last season.

Only time we saw both was when Leavy started at 6 against Wasps (then dropped out because of injury), which would be right. Leavy isn’t quick enough to play 7 especially when you look at what we use our 7s for.

Leavy at 6 and VDF at 7 is what we should be looking at, but I’ll honestly be surprised if we see Leavy anywhere near the same shape again.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    In big games VDF always started at 7 even at the beginning of last season.

Only time we saw both was when Leavy started at 6 against Wasps (then dropped out because of injury), which would be right. Leavy isn’t quick enough to play 7 especially when you look at what we use our 7s for.

Leavy at 6 and VDF at 7 is what we should be looking at, but I’ll honestly be surprised if we see Leavy anywhere near the same shape again.

He’s clearly the 7 for Leinster going forward with ruddock at 6. Sob was clinging on before. Leavy has far more in his armory than vdf who is a worthy bench option behind him. VDF is a machine, but a so so link man and carrier. Has yet to really grab a game by the scruff of the neck consistently. Leavy had terrible luck with injury but was slowly becoming one of the best flankers in Europe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement