Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Faugheen wrote: »
    In big games VDF always started at 7 even at the beginning of last season.

Only time we saw both was when Leavy started at 6 against Wasps (then dropped out because of injury), which would be right. Leavy isn’t quick enough to play 7 especially when you look at what we use our 7s for.

Leavy at 6 and VDF at 7 is what we should be looking at, but I’ll honestly be surprised if we see Leavy anywhere near the same shape again.

Have you forgotten most of 2018? When Leavy was a key player and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've tickets for the game on Saturday. My first visit to the Rds for a rugby game. Any advice on parking. We are coming on the N4 from the west. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

OldRio wrote: »
    I've tickets for the game on Saturday. My first visit to the Rds for a rugby game. Any advice on parking. We are coming on the N4 from the west. Thanks.

Suggest that you take the M50 southbound, take exit 14, then head to RDS and use free street parking on Ailesbury Road / Nutley Road or many other roads around the area. Most street parking in the area is free on Saturdays, but check the signpost just to be sure. You will get lots of free street parking with a 10-minute walk to the ground.

Belvedere rugby club leave their grounds available for parking - 10€ or so.

There is roadside around the grounds but you would want to be there 2 hours before the game or you'll be walking a fair distance. Pay and display mon - sat if I recall correctly.

RDS is a 20 minute walk from Merrion square of Fitzwilliam Square - loads of weekend parking at either.

There is underground parking in the Clayton also.

Just to note - depending on how far West you are coming in from - you need a licence to operate a horse in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There is always parking on or just off the Clyde Rd. Even on match days, never had an issue. All the residential streets in behind the US embassy have on street parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm just glad OldRio has given up on all that Connacht nonsense and finally got with the programme.

I'm just glad OldRio has given up on all that Connacht nonsense and finally got with the programme.
    Haha. No chance. I actually won the tickets via Newstalk on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Haha. No chance. I actually won the tickets via Newstalk on Twitter.

Hes a fraud. Get him!

Just checking but I suppose wax jackets and hats are de rigueur.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bernard Jackman was on the 42 podcast and discussed Robin McBryde's appointment as Leinsters forwards coach. Jackman knew him from his time coaching the Dragons.

He described McBryde as someone who is very detail oriented and goes into great depth analysing his team and ways to improve them. But his main strength is creating a mentality amongst the pack that will make them run through walls for each other. He's also very good at working with younger players and developing their game.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just checking but I suppose wax jackets and hats are de rigueur.

Wax coat and let people overhear you talking about the state of the market or your horse and they'll think you're a local.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Wax coat and let people overhear you talking about the state of the market or your horse and they'll think you're a local.

Sounds very much like the ballinasloe mart!! :D

Well we do have horses and wax jackets. But like myself and Mrs OldRio they are all a bit old and worn and frayed around the edges. (Horses and Jackets)
    Anyway looking forward to it.
    Note to self...... Must check hip flask for whiskey, purely medicinal of course. Wife can drive back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just make sure that when you are talking about your horse, you mention that its for show-jumping or racing and not transport to the shops.

Well we do have horses and wax jackets. But like myself and Mrs OldRio they are all a bit old and worn and frayed around the edges. (Horses and Jackets)
    Anyway looking forward to it.
    Note to self...... Must check hip flask for whiskey, purely medicinal of course. Wife can drive back.

Whatever about wax jackets and horses, your own booze is a must. Where are the tickets for in the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't think there's any chance Curry would be as far along in his career if he was Irish as opposed to being English. We wouldn't have capped him as an 18 year old for sure, and we'd be here trotting out nonsense like 'oh he's not ready yet'.

We wouldn't have capped him at 18 because he wouldn't have been ready at 18.

The Elite player development program has gotten players ready for pro rugby much earlier in the last few years but ultimately the schooling system here is always going to hinder a players ability to be feasibly ready for pro rugby that young (unless they're underage and do the LC at 17)

It's not nonsense to say they're not ready. They're not. And until the Leaving Cert cycle changes they wont be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

We wouldn't have capped him at 18 because he wouldn't have been ready at 18.

The Elite player development program has gotten players ready for pro rugby much earlier in the last few years but ultimately the schooling system here is always going to hinder a players ability to be feasibly ready for pro rugby that young (unless they're underage and do the LC at 17)

It's not nonsense to say they're not ready. They're not. And until the Leaving Cert cycle changes they wont be

eh but he was ready? :confused:

What age is Scott Penny, Larmour on his cap. What age was James Ryan on his cap? Aaoron Sexton was 18 playing for Ulster A. His point stands in a way in a general sense. we are already seeing it with Kelleher. Even though James Ryan was younger and had played no big games when he was capped in Japan.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Whatever about wax jackets and horses, your own booze is a must. Where are the tickets for in the ground?

North Stand. It'll be cold. Am I right in thinking that the seats are unreserved?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

North Stand. It'll be cold. Am I right in thinking that the seats are unreserved?

Yeah, if you get to the seats 15 minutes early you’ll have a big choice but it gets tight before kick off for big games, it’s hard to judge this one though.

My season ticket is for the North Stand. For European games and Irish derbys get there 25-30 mins before kickoff I'd you want a decent seat or a row of them to sit together. For regular League fixtures 10-15 mins is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

D4 auld lads have always tried to dress like farmers from the west anyway. It’s like a giant continuum where you pop off one end of the spectrum of urban fashion and start right back at the other side.

Doris beats out Deegan for the 8 jersey. Although Deegan's versatility could see him come on at 6,7 or 8. Absolutely delighted to see Kelleher straight in to start at hooker too.

15. Jordan Larmour (39)
    14. Dave Kearney (139)
    13. Garry Ringrose (65)
    12. Joe Tomane (18)
    11. James Lowe (34)
    10. Johhny Sexton (160) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (114)
    1. Cian Healy (209)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (7)
    3. Andrew Porter (54)
    4. Devin Toner (236)
    5. James Ryan (31)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (162)
    7. Josh van der Flier (73)
    8. Caelan Doris (21)

16. James Tracy (98)
    17. Peter Dooley (66)
    18. Michael Bent (130)
    19. Scott Fardy (48)
    20. Max Deegan (52)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (76)
    22. Ross Byrne (76)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (66)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clegg wrote: »
    Doris beats out Deegan for the 8 jersey. Although Deegan's versatility could see him come on at 6,7 or 8. Absolutely delighted to see Kelleher straight in to start at hooker too.

15. Jordan Larmour (39)
    14. Dave Kearney (139)
    13. Garry Ringrose (65)
    12. Joe Tomane (18)
    11. James Lowe (34)
    10. Johhny Sexton (160) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (114)
    1. Cian Healy (209)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (7)
    3. Andrew Porter (54)
    4. Devin Toner (236)
    5. James Ryan (31)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (162)
    7. Josh van der Flier (73)
    8. Caelan Doris (21)

16. James Tracy (98)
    17. Peter Dooley (66)
    18. Michael Bent (130)
    19. Scott Fardy (48)
    20. Max Deegan (52)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (76)
    22. Ross Byrne (76)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (66)

Really happy with this team. Larmour at FB with Dave and Lowe on the wings is exciting. And Kelleher at hooker as you’ve already outlined.

Is Furlong injured or is he just getting more rest?

Very happy with that XV overall. The back 3 could prove lethal of Sexton and Ringrose hit the ground running. Fair but of mobility and grunt in the pack too.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Really happy with this team. Larmour at FB with Dave and Lowe on the wings is exciting. And Kelleher at hooker as you’ve already outlined.

Is Furlong injured or is he just getting more rest?

Not sure about Furlong. He wasn't mentioned at all in the press release. Porter is in great form so hopefully we won't miss him too much. Ringrose and Tomane isn't a pairing we've seen much of before. Interested to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Benetton Rugby:
    15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Ignacio Brex, 12 Alberto Sgarbi (C), 11 Luca Sperandio, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage,
    8 Nasi Manu, 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Giovanni Pettinelli, 5 Dean Budd, 4 Irné Herbst, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Hame Faiva, 1 Nicola Quaglio.

A disposizione:
    16 Engjel Makelara, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Marco Fuser, 20 Marco Lazzaroni, 21 Toa Halafihi, 22 Tito Tebaldi, 23 Tommaso Allan

Not sure about Furlong. He wasn't mentioned at all in the press release. Porter is in great form so hopefully we won't miss him too much. Ringrose and Tomane isn't a pairing we've seen much of before. Interested to see how it goes.

Tomane looks fit and focused. Big year ahead I hope.

I'm going to say it. Porter looks in better form than Furlong. His try against Connacht showed immense power.

10 Ian Keatley,

Hope he gets an absolutely brilliant reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes, especially if you talk about taking the horse up and down in the lift.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Furlong played a lot of mins so far this season, I would guess more rest after the guys done the job last week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement