Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Manuel Diana Olaso was Uruguays best player at the World Cup. Whats that got to do with World-Class?

You're completely disregarding his performances, which were excellent, in order to have a go at the fact that some commentator said he was world class. Over the last three seasons Ringrose has proven that he's one of the best 13's in world rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

It really depends on what people’s description of world class is.. is it any form player in their position that plays for a Tier 1 nation? Is it a player in the top 10 in the world in their position? Is it a player who is in the top 3/4 in their position over a period of time.

For me, it’s the latter. Is Ringrose in the top 3/4 centres in the world? At 13 alone, I’d have Radrada, Tuilagi, Davies, Goodhue, you could argue Am too, and then probably Ringrose. Does being 5th in the world in your position make you world class?

Hate the term world class being banged about so often but then again it was Nugent:)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a worthless title and it's hilarious that it upsets some people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It's a worthless title and it's hilarious that it upsets some people
    And it's managed to derail threads for days at a time. Let's just not go down that rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

How did Larmour play?

& any more news on Dorris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

How did Larmour play?

Felt Larmour was quiet enough on a day our centres made serious hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

troyzer wrote: »
    First time in the posh seats in the RDS, I'm normally in the south stand.

Lads.

For **** sake.

Stop taking your seats ten minutes after kickoff. It's maddening, I missed Ringer's try because of arseholes streaming in and blocking my view.

Are you very short?....or are they tall fans.:D

How did Larmour play?

Dorris will be a week or two at least id imagine.

Back three had little involvement today. Forwards were hungry for work and ball rarely got beyond the cenres.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I thought Porter was deadly today. I know it's small (and I know Furlong can do it) but taking the Ball from McGrath and transferring to Sexton smoothly locks their forwards down and allowed for Ringrose first try. He's up skilling fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

troyzer wrote: »
    First time in the posh seats in the RDS, I'm normally in the south stand.

Lads.

For **** sake.

Stop taking your seats ten minutes after kickoff. It's maddening, I missed Ringer's try because of arseholes streaming in and blocking my view.
    jacothelad wrote: »
    Are you very short?....or are they tall fans.:D

In fairness, the queues in to the seats were ridiculous. We were there trying to enter the stadium (as in the entrance to Block L) seven minutes ish before kick off and just got to our seats as it kicked off. Security were painfully slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Speaking of the world class one, his brother Jack also scored a hat trick today for UCD against Terenure. Tough family to belong to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

What are people’s thoughts on McGrath v JGP?

Personally I think McG has been poor, and hasn’t been good enough for either Leinster let alone Ireland. Slow delivery again tonight. Think JVP is a far superior player.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

acer911 wrote: »
    What are people’s thoughts on McGrath v JGP?

Personally I think McG has been poor, and hasn’t been good enough for either Leinster let alone Ireland. Slow delivery again tonight. Think JVP is a far superior player.

I honestly think you were watching a different game. I thought McGrath played really well today.

I get the want for JGP to play, but a few people are guilty of letting it cloud their judgement of McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They would be the first names in on the Irish team sheet if that was the case. I do think Ringrose can still become our world class player.

As far as I'm concerned, Ringrose is one of the first names on the Irish team sheet.

It's an awful shame what happened to Doris. After 15 minutes he was down for 22 metres made off 5 carries. He was putting in a lot of hard work. But Deegan was excellent when he came on as his replacement. He made 12 carries for 48 metres and did a lot of good work at the ruck. Leinster have a lot of strength in depth at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fair play to Benetton today. Thought they played really well. Their pack in particular were excellent. Acted the bollocks a lot on the first half though when we had possession. Constant foul play and I felt the ref should have warned them a lot earlier. But that aside they were really good.

Leinster weren't at their best, but still never looked like not securing 5 points. We'll get better over the next few weeks. Hopefully there'll he enough between this week and next to ensure a win on the road.

Really liked what I saw from ROL in the first half. Sexton was superb and Ringrose hit the ground running. Didnt get to see as much from our back 3 as I'd have liked, but otherwise we were clinical and dominant enough for the most part. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

errlloyd wrote: »
    I thought Porter was deadly today. I know it's small (and I know Furlong can do it) but taking the Ball from McGrath and transferring to Sexton smoothly locks their forwards down and allowed for Ringrose first try. He's up skilling fast.

I thought Porter was extremely quiet, he had a chance today to put pressure on Tadhg today and the game passed him by, for all his size and power he doesnt make anymore yards then Bent does in contact and I actually thought Bent looked better in the loose then Porter today,

Hes done great to get to the level he has but with his potential I think hes stagnated a bit in his development,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thought that was pretty average a and a fair old step back from the control and pressure of the Connacht game.

Thought that was pretty average a and a fair old step back from the control and pressure of the Connacht game.

Benneton played well yesterday and were far more competitive than Connacht. They made a mess of the breakdown and Leinsters maul on a number of occasions.

Leinsters performance was pretty average, but a lot of individuals played well. Ringrose was obviously quality, but VdF and Sexton had quality games as well. There were a lot of handling errors which need to be cut out, but overall it was an ok performance. For 7 of those players starting it was their first game of the season. It'll take a bit more time to settle in.

One concern I'd have though is the amount of times Benneton worked their way into our 22. They could've scored a lot more than they did. We defended well, but invited a lot of pressure onto ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Benneton played well yesterday and were far more competitive than Connacht. They made a mess of the breakdown and Leinsters maul on a number of occasions.

Leinsters performance was pretty average, but a lot of individuals played well. Ringrose was obviously quality, but VdF and Sexton had quality games as well. There were a lot of handling errors which need to be cut out, but overall it was an ok performance. For 7 of those players starting it was their first game of the season. It'll take a bit more time to settle in.

One concern I'd have though is the amount of times Benneton worked their way into our 22. They could've scored a lot more than they did. We defended well, but invited a lot of pressure onto ourselves.

First game back for a lot of the guys

Remember after the last WC what happened in the first game after the WC.....now I know this is a settled management team but still

Even in 2011 away from home we had a messy draw, I think a Sexton last min kick drew it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

It really depends on what people’s description of world class is.. is it any form player in their position that plays for a Tier 1 nation? Is it a player in the top 10 in the world in their position? Is it a player who is in the top 3/4 in their position over a period of time.

For me, it’s the latter. Is Ringrose in the top 3/4 centres in the world? At 13 alone, I’d have Radrada, Tuilagi, Davies, Goodhue, you could argue Am too, and then probably Ringrose. Does being 5th in the world in your position make you world class?

Hate the term world class being banged about so often but then again it was Nugent:)

Don’t think you could say Ringrose is behind half those lads. A few flavors of the months there ahead of him you’ve picked. radradra as good a talent as he is has played less than 50 top class games. Goodhue? Am? Tualagi and Davies sure

He just needs to really back himself. I’d imagine joe got in his head and we haven’t seen half of his true ability. Rarely do we see the footwork for ireland that we saw yesterday. Just needs to cut loose. He seems so diligent, that he would’ve done whatever joe told him include reigning in his attacking tendencies so as to secure ruck positions for joes phase play. You can see that with half the Leinster team. Vdf another one. A lower level sure but Stu sure let’s the lads play. A joy to watch

Hopefully the culture of fear is gone from Irish rugby and the healing can start with some real Leinster quality. Look at Conway yesterday as well

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Don’t think you could say Ringrose is behind half those lads. A few flavors of the months there ahead of him you’ve picked. radradra as good a talent as he is has played less than 50 top class games. Goodhue? Am? Tualagi and Davies sure

He just needs to really back himself. I’d imagine joe got in his head and we haven’t seen half of his true ability. Rarely do we see the footwork for ireland that we saw yesterday. Just needs to cut loose. He seems so diligent, that he would’ve done whatever joe told him include reigning in his attacking tendencies so as to secure ruck positions for joes phase play. You can see that with half the Leinster team. Vdf another one. A lower level sure but Stu sure let’s the lads play. A joy to watch

Hopefully the culture of fear is gone from Irish rugby and the healing can start with some real Leinster quality. Look at Conway yesterday as well

If you want to discuss Conway and Ireland then leave it to the Ireland thread......also slagging off Joe has nothing to do with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know French teams home and away are very different but Lyon have been incredibly poor today. Northampton look good though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

stephen_n wrote: »
    I know French teams home and away are very different but Lyon have been incredibly poor today. Northampton look good though.

I don't think either of them look particularly good.

Lyon at home against Leinster will be a huge game for Lyon, they will be lining this game since the draw and Leinster is a huge scalp....I think Leinster will win but that will be about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think either of them look particularly good.

Saints aren’t spectacular but pretty efficient and organized. Will be tough to beat over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

No BPs in that game suits us nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

AdamD wrote: »
    No BPs in that game suits us nicely

Would do. Only following the score online but why in Gods name were Northampton kicking 3 points when 19-0 ahead!? Staggering lack of ambition. Looks like with a few mins to go Lyon could snatch a LBP.

Watched the game on TV. Yesterday I didn't catch quite how many times Benneton hit Sexton late. I know the referee warned them about it, but it was after the third such hit. Should've been done earlier. That Benneton turnover where the lock was clearly on his knees was also a shocker too.

Looking back on the game I think VDF and Deegan were our best players after Ringrose. VDF played wider than he does with Ireland, was son the shoulder to receive the pass after a break, and then acted as a link man to the next runner. Great athlete. Deegan played extremely well in the tighter areas. Hit a lot of rucks and carried exceptionally hard.

Another thing I didn't notice yesterday was Larmour playing as a second receiver and passing wide. Did it a few times and sucked defenders in who expected him to run with the ball.

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50453217

That’ll pay for the new stand I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement