Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC

Options
  • 08-05-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

My son almost (14) is looking at building a pc for gaming, Would a budget of €600 get him some decent parts to build? I wouldn't have a clue where to start...

I know he bought a tower a few weeks back, but his birthday is coming along soon and I was going to help out financially just looking for a guide on what to get

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Well first things first get details of the games he wants to play and let us know here. Each game has different hardware requirements and parts range in price but to get a better picture of the hardware required vrs your budget will all depend on the games they want to play. Also if you require a screen for a complete setup. You say they have a tower (computer case) what make and model is case have they any other parts have they got a list they want to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

€600 is a good budget. CPU wise, look at either Ryzen 2600 or Intel 9400F. 8GB ram is fine, 16GB ideal, but make sure either way it's in a set of two sticks, not a single stick, as this causes performance issues - eg 2x4GB, or 2x8Gb. GPU wise, Radeon RX590 or GTX1660, latter is more expensive/better, so if it fits into your budget, go for that. But RX590 is still a great card.

Power supply wise, any decent 80+ 500W will be fine. Corsair, Kolink or EVGA do decent budget PSUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

jhud wrote: »
    Well first things first get details of the games he wants to play and let us know here. Each game has different hardware requirements and parts range in price but to get a better picture of the hardware required vrs your budget will all depend on the games they want to play. Also if you require a screen for a complete setup. You say they have a tower (computer case) what make and model is case have they any other parts have they got a list they want to get?

Thanks for the response guys, I asked him what sort of games he plays and it's a mix of call of duty,day of defeat source and counter strike

As for the case I'm not sure what he has, I won't be home until Monday. He has a TV in his room that he is going to use as a monitor

Would elara.ie be the best site to buy the parts from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Might be best posting here...
    https://touch.boards.ie/forum/842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

pm. wrote: »
    Thanks for the response guys, I asked him what sort of games he plays and it's a mix of call of duty,day of defeat source and counter strike

As for the case I'm not sure what he has, I won't be home until Monday. He has a TV in his room that he is going to use as a monitor

Would elara.ie be the best site to buy the parts from?

Best would be OCUK or Amazon really, Elara are terribly noncompetitive most of the time so definitely check around.

Amazon probably slightly cheaper but OCUK have very fast delivery and generally good service, great website too, very easy to navigate.

AWD also do very reasonable pre-builts. Something like this will run all the latest games at ultra settings just fine.

You wouldn't build it much cheaper to be honest. Would upgrade the 240GB SSD to a 480GB one for an extra 25 pounds.

Also comes with free World War Z and Division 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

to be fair id say give your son the cash, definitely dont buy any parts yourself, he prob has idea what he wants in a case, no harm in letting him know theres forums to double check but dont make any purchases yourself, rather let him pick the parts he wants with your given budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

scamalert wrote: »
    to be fair id say give your son the cash, definitely dont buy any parts yourself, he prob has idea what he wants in a case, no harm in letting him know theres forums to double check but dont make any purchases yourself, rather let him pick the parts he wants with your given budget.

Good advice, I will probably have him post in the building form, I'm sure you guys will give him good advice

Advertisement