Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new house electricity and gas

Options
  • 08-05-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi there,

Moving into new house shortly and am wondering about a couple things.

1. Do I need to call to get electricity switched on and bills switched over - if so who / how does it work?
    2. What about gas? Do i need call on that?

I am moving into an oldish house and trying to pre-empt any issues or sort them now if possible...

would anyone have any advice... can anything be done before i move....

would solicitor / EA have details of whom the electricity / gas provider was previously so can continue that service with them perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Take a photo of both meters the minute you walk in the door and make sure they are timestamped. When I moved into our current home it turned out the previous owner had been submitting low meter readings for years meaning there was a €800 gap between their last bill and the handover meter reading I submitted. Bord Gais asked me to pay it and all sorts of nonsense ensued.

Decide who you want to supply your heat and electricity with and phone them up with the numbers from both meters & your address. Gas = GPRN, Elec = MPRN. Bonkers.ie does a good comparison and referral system (I have no affiliation, I just used them a couple of times).

You do all of this when you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Take a photo of both meters the minute you walk in the door and make sure they are timestamped. When I moved into our current home it turned out the previous owner had been submitting low meter readings for years meaning there was a €800 gap between their last bill and the handover meter reading I submitted. Bord Gais asked me to pay it and all sorts of nonsense ensued.

Decide who you want to supply your heat and electricity with and phone them up with the numbers from both meters & your address. Gas = GPRN, Elec = MPRN. Bonkers.ie does a good comparison and referral system (I have no affiliation, I just used them a couple of times).

You do all of this when you move in.

wow that is shocking

who can provide the previous providers details?
    will they nit turn on the electricity and gas until all Bill's are paid if any outstanding by previous owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

mkdon wrote: »
    wow that is shocking

who can provide the previous providers details?
    will they nit turn on the electricity and gas until all Bill's are paid if any outstanding by previous owner?

Its not necessary to know who the previous (current) provider is.

Just take a meter reading and contact which ever supplier you want. As an earlier poster said though, make sure you take dated photos of the meters and retain them in case of any issue with when the previous account holder closed their account.

If there are any substantial debts relating to the previous account holder, then the supplier may request a copy of proof of ownership, showing the dates that you took occupancy of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

If you dont know the MPRN number, ESB Networks can find this for you. The number is 1850 372 757. You can change supplier to whomever you wish once you have the MPRN number.

Advertisement