Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorbike not been started in well over 10 years.

Options
  • 09-05-2019 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭

hi all i,ve a yamaha virago 125cc thats been in the garage for over 10 years and not been started,so im wondering what i should do before attempting to start it?.

i was told to push it in gear to get the piston moving etc and to go down a hill with clutch pulled in then released and bike in gear with of course ignition off.was told it would get the oil moving about in the engine and would help lube the piston etc.

any taughts ideas or advice greatly welcomed thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

As far as I recall the virago is a vtwin. Take out the spark plugs
    and drop a bit of diesel onto the piston tops and let it sit for 24 hours. Fresh juice in the tank with a good dash of dipthene and a new battery, new plugs. Make sure there's enough oil in the sump. Try kicking her over then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it seized?
    Use the kick start first to see if it is seized.
    If its turning over, drain the old oil out and replace with fresh oil, drain fuel and replace with fresh.
    Drain carb bowl and let the new fuel in, the float valve might have gone hard and not seal so be ready to turn the petrol tap off.
    I would think that the carb would need a rebuild after sitting that length of time.

Check air filter and make sure nothing has nested in the airbox.
    Check Tyre pressures, you will need new tyres but to start it they will be OK.

Check brake function, do the brakes work? You will need to replace the fluid at the very least and they may be seized up after this length of time.

Pull the valve covers and check the valves/rockers are not corroded, if they are rusty they will destroy themselves very quickly when started.
    If they are still OK then put a bit of fresh oil on the valve train to lube them up.

Once you have done all that then try starting it and if it does start let it run for a while to warm up and get the oil flowing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it seized?
    Use the kick start first to see if it is seized.
    If its turning over, drain the old oil out and replace with fresh oil, drain fuel and replace with fresh.
    Drain carb bowl and let the new fuel in, the float valve might have gone hard and not seal so be ready to turn the petrol tap off.
    I would think that the carb would need a rebuild after sitting that length of time.

Check air filter and make sure nothing has nested in the airbox.
    Check Tyre pressures, you will need new tyres but to start it they will be OK.

Check brake function, do the brakes work? You will need to replace the fluid at the very least and they may be seized up after this length of time.

Pull the valve covers and check the valves/rockers are not corroded, if they are rusty they will destroy themselves very quickly when started.
    If they are still OK then put a bit of fresh oil on the valve train to lube them up.

Once you have done all that then try starting it and if it does start let it run for a while to warm up and get the oil flowing around.

It doesn't have a kickstart. So, I'd take out the plugs, put it in gear and get the rear wheel off the ground and turn the engine over by hand that way.
    If it turns over, you're half way there.

If you do pull the rocker covers, get out the oil can and liberally coat all the valve springs/rockers/cams (not sure what system that bike has).

Check the oil level and with the plugs removed, I'd hook up a battery - even with jump leads, and turn the bike over for some short bursts (just a few seconds at a time) to circulate oil around the engine. Eventually the oil light will go out and the system is primed.

Put the plugs back in/covers on, and refresh the fuel as above and give it a go.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Before attempting to start it or turn it over I would suggest first thing to do is change the engine oil and the filter if there is one fitted.
    Take out the battery and see will it take a charge, after 10 years it may need replacing.
    I would suggest draining any old fuel from the tank and fitting a fuel line filter in case of rust flakes in the petrol tank.
    And while you are at it maybe change / clean the air filter.
    Then remove the spark plugs and get a few small squirts of oil into the barrels to help lube the pistons and rings after sitting for so long.
    Leave overnight then with the spark plugs still out, try to slowly turn the engine over a few times by pushing it a little while in first or second gear.
    When you are happy that the engine is turning over freely put a new set of spark plugs in and if the battery is charged try start it.
    If it starts keep the engine revs low for the first 5 mins or so, just to let the oil get around the engine.
    It might be a little smokey from the squirts of oil in the barrels, but that should clear.
    Do not be tempted to ride the bike until you have had the brakes thoroughly checked and maybe pads and shoes replaced.
    Fun to get it going, much less fun if it doesn't stop!
    Also check the tyres for wear or age deterioration / cracks, sitting for that long probably best to change them.
    Check the chain for tight spots and get some chain lube onto it, or maybe better to change that as well.
    Make sure suspension is operating correctly, no leaks or rusting on front forks or rear shocks.

Advertisement