Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-living..Shared kitchen for 42 ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Most of the co-living spaces have kitchenettes in each individual unit with a larger shared kitchen.

Is that not the case in this development?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Christ that's grim

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

1300 per room a month. Not exactly a massive saving.

You could just share a two bed apartment for less than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It doesn't go into details but if that 1300 a month included full time 24/7 cleaning/maintenance staff then the numbers would be around a large office canteen area scenario.

if it was a good faith, clean as you go setup then it would be a kip withing a half hour and unlivable within a day if the state of our canteen goes when the cleaner heads at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

42 rooms to a kitchen is a lot but the general idea has been around for a long time and is fine for a small amount of the market. There will always be people who just want somewhere to sleep, have breakfast and occasionally cook dinner.

Back in my mid 20s I spent about 8 months in a house like this (although only 9 rooms). It suited me at the time because I had lunch and dinner in work and was generally out most evenings and away most weekends.

Not everyone needs a 3 bed semi-d or apartment with dual aspect windows. A functional housing market should have room for both long and short term units.

Although at 1300 it does seem way overpriced.

• Advertisement

1300 per room a month. Not exactly a massive saving.

You could just share a two bed apartment for less than this.

I think that's pretty much the exact setup co-living is an alternative to, house/apartment sharing with randomers.

The current proposed batch of co-living developments certainly don't appear to be putting themselves forward as a budget alternative but (and I'm generalising here) the rates would include utilities, broadband, cleaning, gym, social areas/bar/restaurant, flexible rental terms etc etc etc.

It's not going to suit everyone obviously but for it does appear to appeal to a young/mobile/professional cohort and it could take (some) pressure off rental housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graham wrote: »
    I think that's pretty much the exact setup co-living is an alternative to, house/apartment sharing with randomers.

The current proposed batch of co-living developments certainly don't appear to be putting themselves forward as a budget alternative but (and I'm generalising here) the rates would include utilities, broadband, cleaning, gym, social areas/bar/restaurant, flexible rental terms etc etc etc.

It's not going to suit everyone obviously but for it does appear to appeal to a young/mobile/professional cohort and it could take (some) pressure off rental housing stock.

Reminded me of this

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/apartments-for-rent/killarney/abode-apartment-killarney-killarney-kerry-1923286/

But a huge difference in price and offers a lot more the Killarney one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reminded me of this

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/apartments-for-rent/killarney/abode-apartment-killarney-killarney-kerry-1923286/

But a huge difference in price and offers a lot more the Killarney one?

Reminds me of this...

That Killarney development looks like a halfway position between a traditional apartment share and a co-living space. Apartments to rent by the room with communal spaces available.

There's no current prices listed so it's hard to compare, I would expect it to be cheaper than a Dublin based alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That Killarney development looks like a halfway position between a traditional apartment share and a co-living space. Apartments to rent by the room with communal spaces available.

There's no current prices listed so it's hard to compare, I would expect it to be cheaper than a Dublin based alternative.

The Killarney one is €125 pw for an apartment with separate kitchen and living space plus shared services.

The Dublin one is €325 pw for pull down bed, kitchenette plus shared services.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The Killarney one is €125 pw for an apartment with separate kitchen and living space plus shared services.

The Dublin one is €325 pw for pull down bed, kitchenette plus shared services.

and Killarney has several services included like the gym etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

But there’s feck all jobs in Killarney.

This DunL building looks like a joke. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s turned into a hotel within 10 years of opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

1300 a month for that is nothing short of scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most of the co-living spaces have kitchenettes in each individual unit with a larger shared kitchen.

Is that not the case in this development?

It seems to say so...

still grim and at 1300 a month that's nothing short of larceny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

30 Rooms & 10 Bathrooms vs en-suit. Would rather the en-suit.

Had to live in a hotel for 2 months due to work, would rather this if price wasn't an issue as this was before just before things became scares.

But there’s feck all jobs in Killarney.

This DunL building looks like a joke. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s turned into a hotel within 10 years of opening.

a lot of tourism and summer jobs associated with that?

see

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/apartments-for-rent/killarney/abode-apartment-killarney-killarney-kerry-1923286/#img=2

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I read they will be for 2months – 12 months stays and will not have to be registered with the RTB perhaps let on a licensee basis.

While not cheap we need different solutions for private accommodation and move away from one type of tenancy the RTB demands on all rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ugh.. 100yrs after acheiving independence removed foreign, absentee landlords from our hair, after instituting a massive social housing build program and reforming of tenents rignts, we now have our current bunch of incompetent traitors in power turn around a century later and sell the population back to absentee landlords building the tennement housing of the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I don’t get it.

If people are happy to live like that leave them too it.

It’s another solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

conorhal wrote: »
    Ugh.. 100yrs after acheiving independence removed foreign, absentee landlords from our hair, after instituting a massive social housing build program and reforming of tenents rignts, we now have our current bunch of incompetent traitors in power turn around a century later and sell the population back to absentee landlords building the tennement housing of the future.

Keep ur baraclava might help you through future climate change :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I don’t get it.

If people are happy to live like that leave them too it.

It’s another solution.

Exactly, people will either pay 1300 for it or they won't. It's a private venture so good luck to them.

If it was the gov. building and paying I'd have an issue with it but if someone thinks they can make money and provide a solution for some people good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There was a good graphic on twitter at the weekend. A disabled parking space is 17.5m2, these rooms are 16.2m2!

No way should this get planning, they already have it for 48 apartments on the site. Pure greed

Caranica wrote: »
    There was a good graphic on twitter at the weekend. A disabled parking space is 17.5m2, these rooms are 16.2m2!

No way should this get planning, they already have it for 48 apartments on the site. Pure greed

Why? If people don't want them they'll sit empty until they hit the right price. If people want them then they can have them. Even if it ends up being student accommodation or airbnb or summer students coming over, it all alleviates the demand pressure from somewhere, any new supply is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

hots wrote: »
    Even if it ends up being student accommodation or airbnb or summer students coming over, it all alleviates the demand pressure from somewhere, any new supply is a good thing.

I'd disagree here. If they want it to be AirBnB or summer student accomidation that should be part of the original planning application so people know what to expect.

I doubt it will come to that, similar co-living spaces appear to have no issue filling the places.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd disagree here. If they want it to be AirBnB or summer student accomidation that should be part of the original planning application so people know what to expect.

Does it matter why someone rents it? Do folk seeking to rent there have to justify their reasons? That is so restrictive .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if there's demand for student type accommodation from non-students (probably still mostly young single people) then I don't see a problem, but 42 units sharing a kitchen is ridiculous, even if they have kitchenettes in their rooms. Student apartments tend to be 6-10 rooms with a shared living space.

matrim wrote: »

I don't think they plan on it, I was trying to illustrate it will either be used or it won't. Obviously if they change substantially they'd need to apply for a change of the planning at some point I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

These don't have kitchenettes in the rooms. The original plan had a two ring hob but they were removed after pre planning meetings with the council

Advertisement