Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-living..Shared kitchen for 42 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Caranica wrote: »
    These don't have kitchenettes in the rooms. The original plan had a two ring hob but they were removed after pre planning meetings with the council

f**k that then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don’t get it.

If people are happy to live like that leave them too it.

It’s another solution.

People are being pushed into accepting it as a solution- because the alternates that most people would rather- quite simply are unavailable.

There is no inherent demand for this sort of living arrangement- there is for 1-2 bed apartments- however in the absence of 1-2 bed apartments- people who have no alternate options- will evaluate what other arrangements are available to them.

I wouldn't see any issue with this sort arrangement at a university or somewhere with lots of young people who aren't going to cook and don't have any issue with sharing even with large groups like this (at the right price)- however, this is being priced as some sort of superior accommodation- and a few services tossed into the mix to justify the eye watering prices they are suggesting.

I don't see how or why people should put up with this- other than as a short term solution- while they find accommodation that actually suits their needs.

We need to build large numbers of apartments, of reasonable size, properly serviced and close to pertinent amenities and facilities- ideally in high density developments- and ideally in fairly central Dublin locations.

We need to get off our high horses- and get over our lack of enthusiasm for highrise- or eventually- most of the country will turn into an urban sprawl of one type or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

1,300 for 16.25 square meters per month? That's absolutely wrong. Then to share a kitchen with at least 41 other people? And the living room? WTF is that about?

An absolute joke of a building with a joke of a price tag and absolutely zero vision. Oh some fuker somewhere is getting rich out of this, big time.

"If people are happy to live like that, then let them" - absolute bollocks. People are desperate for a play to live and this is taking serious advantage of this. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I thought this co living thing was commonplace elsewhere. seems to be quite few In london

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I thought this co living thing was commonplace elsewhere. seems to be quite few In london

That's my understanding too.
    I really don't get all the outrage. I would much prefer to live in a co-living type arrangement than sharing an apartment with someone. My guess is that it will do well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

What C3PO said.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I hope they build more for people on social welfare

Can have their foreva room then and all live in harmony ... or not

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

C3PO wrote: »
    I really don't get all the outrage. I would much prefer to live in a co-living type arrangement than sharing an apartment with someone. My guess is that it will do well!

the outrage is the outrageous price. which really is.... outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Graces7 wrote: »

If the price is just for the room then yes, it is.

If it includes cleaners, maintenance, bins, electricity, water, internet, tv etc then its probably not as bad as it seems on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

As others have pointed out the price is offensive.

But I'm just trying to follow the logic. You would rather live in a property where you have your own bedroom but all other mod cons are shared with 41 other people over a property where you have your own bedroom but all other mod cons are shared with one other person? For less money.

Prison is a cheaper way to achieve the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭downtheroad

These could be a great option for those working in the likes of Facebook or Google where all meals are available at their office, so people might just want a bed for the night.

There's complaints that all that is being built in Dublin are 3 bed semi ds, but when somebody attempts to build something different along come more complainers.

Maybe if people stopped complaining things might get built and then we can see what happens.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm just trying to follow the logic.

Off the top of my head:

Own room
    Own en-suite bathroom
    No long-term commitments
    Management on site
    Maintenance on site
    Good standard of fit/finish.
    No other bills
    Gym and/or social facilities on site
    Restaurant/bar on site
    Generally closer to (or in) town/city centres
    No convincing 4 other people you'd be the be best housemate out of the 475 other applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Speaking from personal experience, where I lived for a year in an extremely similar set up albeit 1 kitchen to only 38 rooms it is perfectly fine. Actually is a lot more enjoyable and dignified living than house/room sharing as you have your own substantial private space and en-suite. While I would appreciate the price to be a bit lower, the market dictates this and I hope that planning for this goes through and opens up space for more of these buildings to be built closer to Dublin city.

They’re intended as short term lets. Each will have a kitchenette and bathroom. Not a bad idea for someone finding their feet.

Graham wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:

Own room
    Own en-suite bathroom
    No long-term commitments
    Management on site
    Maintenance on site
    No other bills
    Restaurant/bar on site
    No convincing 4 other people you'd be the be best housemate out of the 475 other applicants

Sharing an apartment can have all of those things already though. Literally the only difference is you don't have to share your kitchen with 40 other people :confused::confused::confused:

Gym / bar on site is a bit pointless anyway when you're paying €1300 a month for essentially a bedroom in a hostel, you will need all the money you have left.

The price is dictated by the market - if it is too expensive then people will not rent them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

While that may be, I doubt it's an arrangement that's appealing to the vast majority of people.
    The question becomes, will living like this be an option for people amenable to this kind or arrangement or a will it become a situation forced on people by circumstances who would ordinarily rather not live like?

It seems to me that this is nothing but a proposal to re-build the tenements that were the blight of the working poor in 18th and 19th century Dublin.

conorhal wrote: »
    While that may be, I doubt it's an arrangement that's appealing to the vast majority of people.
    The question becomes, will living like this be an option for people amenable to this kind or arrangement or a will it become a situation forced on people by circumstances who would ordinarily rather not live like?

It seems to me that this is nothing but a proposal to re-build the tenements that were the blight of the working poor in 18th and 19th century Dublin.

Oh for God sake!!!
    These units are clearly aimed at young, probably single, employed, reasonably well to do tenants who are looking for short to medium term accommodation!

Here's an example:
    https://www.thecollective.com/co-living?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GKrIPOWJ1p0x4pV0YZd0Bgf8MeIXUvYtNydctRdZXf5PCxA24VXgiMaAjPfEALw_wcB

Sharing an apartment can have all of those things already though. Literally the only difference is you don't have to share your kitchen with 40 other people :confused::confused::confused:

Any apartment that has all those things is likely to be significantly more than €1300pps.
    Gym / bar on site is a bit pointless anyway when you're paying €1300 a month for essentially a bedroom in a hostel, you will need all the money you have left.
    I suspect you're making some particularly whopping assumptions about the income level of the target market here.

Oh for God sake!!!
    These units are clearly aimed at young, probably single, employed, reasonably well to do tenants who are looking for short to medium term accommodation!

Here's an example:
    https://www.thecollective.com/co-living?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GKrIPOWJ1p0x4pV0YZd0Bgf8MeIXUvYtNydctRdZXf5PCxA24VXgiMaAjPfEALw_wcB

What they aim to be and what they'll look like in 20 years are two very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Being a bit dramatic, tenements had whole families of maybe 8-10 living in a room, no running water and a shared bucket for a toilet out in the yard.

We’d all love to live in a newly built passive 4 bed bungalow on an acre of ground, next to a bus route, close to schools, hospitals etc, but we cannot.

We’d all love to live in a newly built passive 4 bed bungalow on an acre of ground, next to a bus route, close to schools, hospitals etc, but we cannot.

So the ONLY option is 'direct provision living' for Irish workers?
    This is a bad option to permit and it needs a rethink, there are certiantly better solutions to the housing crisis then this kind of lowest common denominator thinking.

Wouldn't we all!! ;)

This is a bad option to permit and it needs a rethink, there are certiantly better solutions to the housing crisis then this kind of lowest common denominator thinking.

I think you've made it clear it's not for you.

You'll be pleased to hear it's not mandatory and despite your deliberate choice of inflammatory phrases, similar developments appear to suggest there is demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If I was 20 something again and working full time Id actually love this arrangement. its hugly social and commitment and hassle free in terms of bills and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How is this development comparable with direct provision, this is aimed at single professional, employed people who want short term accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

The idea is fine...as an idea. Some people just need a temporary place for a while, while they find their feet. That's fine, and it would actually be a great option for many people, myself included.

What's not fine is the tiny rooms. They seem quite horrible! People say that the market knows best, and that people won't rent them out if they don't want to. But, that is simply a load of rubbish. We're in the midst of a housing crisis, and people do all sort of stuff they don't want to do during a crisis. Like f***ing hell, even google defines a crisis as "a time when a difficult or important decision must be made".

Bottom line; it's a grand idea, but the size and price are scandalous.

EDIT: They're proposing a very similar development of 200-odd beds in Tallaght, but nothing has been said about that at all.

Any apartment that has all those things is likely to be significantly more than €1300pps.

I suspect you're making some particularly whopping assumptions about the income level of the target market here.

What do you mean? You included 'own room'. That's a pretty fundamental requirement of any letting I would have thought. You would get an apartment share in Smithfield or similar that would cover the vast majority of your list for less than 1300pm.

This is student accommodation at best and overpriced student accommodation at that. If you were a high flying young tech graduate on enormous money why on earth would I want to live all the way out in kippy Dun Laoghaire anyway?

The target market is all wrong. Only young, single high earners could possibly be suited by this type of development but they have enough disposable income to just get their own flat or share a luxury one for a couple of grand a month. In town. Short term they could just stay in a hotel. The only way this becomes viable at the prices mentioned is if ordinary rents double the already astronomical rate they're at now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lower Ground Floor
    Ground Floor
    1st Floor
    2nd Floor
    3rd Floor
    4th Floor
    5th Floor
    Six floors (including a lower level ground floor). Seems the 5th floor only has 12 rooms, so I'm sure they'll be rented at a higher premium? Possibly a higher building will be built if this goes well.
    IMO, it's an old idea. They're legal bedsits.
    I read they will be for 2months – 12 months stays and will not have to be registered with the RTB perhaps let on a licensee basis.
    Well, they're only renting a room, so most likely licensees. So absolutely no rights. So I doubt HAP people will get in.
    If the price is just for the room then yes, it is.

If it includes cleaners, maintenance, bins, electricity, water, internet, tv etc then its probably not as bad as it seems on the surface.
    It's a hostel. Everyone eats together. They have no rights to stay. If anyone is deemed disruptive, they could be kicked out with ease.
    Own room
    Yes. I hope there'll be concrete between each room. Better sound insulation.
    Own en-suite bathroom
    From looking at the drawings, it's less of an ensuite, and more a shower in same room. Hello mould.
    No long-term commitments
    But no rights.
    Management on site
    I wonder until what time?
    Maintenance on site
    Either a jack of all trades, or out-sourced.
    Usually, yes, but possibly furnished by Ikea.
    No other bills
    Did they say this? Having everyone on the one fuse box is a recipe to trouble, but if each person has their own fuse box, then each person can be charged. Sadly, I find what is done elsewhere is not always done in Ireland.
    This will be one of the main draws, imo. I see the gym will be in the lower ground floor area, in a separate area. This is great, as the impact noises shouldn't affect many people.
    Restaurant/bar on site
    I can't see a bar being on site. It'll be cheaper if the food is cooked off site, and bought in to be served warm in the restaurants.
    I hope there's a LUAS stop nearby it.
    The 4 people will be management. They'll be the same 4 people who'll decide if you're being disruptive.
    Oh for God sake!!!

Here's an example:
    Due to the current landscape, people will be looking at this more long term. Rents are about the same, but I do not know the geography of London; would that area be an expensive part of London, or not?
    there are certiantly better solutions to the housing crisis then this kind of lowest common denominator thinking.
    As long as we limit apartment blocks to only a few stories, that will be what you'll get. We need 60 story apartment blocks.

=-=

I welcome this building, and hope it does well.

Advertisement