Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-living..Shared kitchen for 42 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

There should absolutely be a minimum standard these types of projects should have to meet. If they end up being something literally nobody would choose to live in unless they have zero choice then you end up with a building full of all of the poorest people who have literally no choice and you get all of the anti-social behaviour that comes along with that.

That's not to say these things are always going to be somewhere nobody would ever choose to live, the example of one on daft linked on the first page of the thread looks decent. The plans for this yoke look a far cry from that tho, the lack of space and in particular the lack of a kitchenette mean people are forced into the communal areas which with 40 odd people competing for shared space is only ever going to be intolerable. They will not get 1300 a month for it, not a chance, the whole development would be old Ballymun on steroids within 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They’re intended as short term lets. Each will have a kitchenette and bathroom. Not a bad idea for someone finding their feet.

Again I tell you they don't have a kitchenette! Original plans had hobs but they had to remove them after pre planning meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This is kind of shocking. 6 years ago I was renting a 3 bed duplex apartment, more like a townhouse, with an attic room in ballsbridge for 2k a month. Now people are expected to pay 1300 for a tiny room and the privilege of sharing facilities with over 40 other people! How things have changed in a relatively short period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This is kind of shocking. 6 years ago I was renting a 3 bed duplex apartment, more like a townhouse, with an attic room in ballsbridge for 2k a month. Now people are expected to pay 1300 for a tiny room and the privilege of sharing facilities with over 40 other people! How things have changed in a relatively short period of time

...and we’re still a far cry from a general election 🀢

Caranica wrote: »
    Again I tell you they don't have a kitchenette! Original plans had hobs but they had to remove them after pre planning meetings.

This is from the link quoted by OP “Each en-suite bedroom will include a pull-down bed and kitchenette.
    The co-living scheme will provide occupants with their own bathroom, but they will have to share a communal kitchen and living area.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

£246 a week in willsden london in the collective

This is from the link quoted by OP “Each en-suite bedroom will include a pull-down bed and kitchenette.
    The co-living scheme will provide occupants with their own bathroom, but they will have to share a communal kitchen and living area.”

I spent hours going through the details on the website when the application was published almost two weeks ago. There's a fridge and a sink! That is not a kitchenette

Also a toilet on one side of the door and a shower on the other is not a bathroom.

Edit: the link on the op is from a newspaper with a history of poor attention to detail. If you want to see the actuality check out www.bartraeblanashd.com

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

C3PO wrote: »
    I would much prefer to live in a co-living type arrangement than sharing an apartment with someone. My guess is that it will do well!

Why? Is it not basically the same thing?

Instead of 2 of you sharing a 2 bed apartment , you're in a 42 bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Just by looking at the plans and comparing with the links to the London proposition, well, the latter look like decent hotel rooms, the Dun Laoghaire ones have the hallmarks of jail cells with the pushdown bed and the in-room shower and toilette. And yes, the toilette has a separator but still you can't call that "ensuite".

Done right and in the right environment, there could indeed be a market segment for something like this - it could be a better proposition than an "house share" for, say, somebody who's in Dublin for a contract position. It's not sustainable long-term as having no respite from being forced to share space with strangers ALL THE TIME will wear anyone down eventually.

And that's where the big issue comes - it's not the right ENVIRONMENT for something like that; Having something like this in Dublin, with the dire need for proper accommodation, will mean that plenty of couples will look at this as a way of getting at least a bit of stability - so problem #1, the 42 rooms will host way more than 42 people - putting a strain on the shared facilities that they were not designed for; Problem #2 - if successful (and it will be if it gets built), this sets a precedent; Why the hell build proper apartments when we can get away with jail cells / barracks, with a rent-to-cost return that is probably multiple times that of even a single bedroom flat?

People in Ireland need to come out of the 3-bed-semi-detached-house delusion, it's not a sustainable model as shown by just about every city in the west, but this is basically the polar opposite idea. There's middle ground to be had...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Washing/drying facilities? Can’t see any on links to plans.

In rooms possibly?

Yup. Laundry Located in lower GF..... with gym, cinema etc.

www.bartraeblanashd.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Could you imagine how noisy the rooms directly opposite and beside the communal areas would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

2ndcoming wrote: »
    What do you mean? You included 'own room'. That's a pretty fundamental requirement of any letting I would have thought

You would be wrong. Sharing bedrooms - and sometimes even beds - is now a happening thing.

Re the market: As well as youngsters (and not-so-youngsters) who don't want to commit to a tenancy because they don't have stable work) there are also workers going into Dublin Mon-Fri, and going home at the weekend. Most of these currently take rooms in house shares - which would be better left to people who want them 7 days a week. There are people who don't have the ability to manage a household, or the interpersonal skills to handle a houseshare (that weird guy who you'd never choose as a housemate ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

C3PO wrote: »
    That's my understanding too.
    I really don't get all the outrage. I would much prefer to live in a co-living type arrangement than sharing an apartment with someone. My guess is that it will do well!

It could do very well and I hope it does. My issue wouldn't be with the actual set up. I think it's very good if it's managed correctly. My issue is the price per square meter. What's the average price per square meter in Dublin?
    DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Could you imagine how noisy the rooms directly opposite and beside the communal areas would be?

Ah yea, but they would go for a special price of €1,250 per month :P

You would be wrong. Sharing bedrooms - and sometimes even beds - is now a happening thing.

Re the market: As well as youngsters (and not-so-youngsters) who don't want to commit to a tenancy because they don't have stable work) there are also workers going into Dublin Mon-Fri, and going home at the weekend. Most of these currently take rooms in house shares - which would be better left to people who want them 7 days a week. There are people who don't have the ability to manage a household, or the interpersonal skills to handle a houseshare (that weird guy who you'd never choose as a housemate ...)

Doubt those people are paying anything near €1,300 a month for those rooms in houseshares!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, the location will be the school; https://goo.gl/maps/NjaF1WREevgv7nFNA
    Five minutes to the train station. Not a bad location, but not great for the money advertised elsewhere in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

In my opinion, this should be the route that certain social housing recipients should receive, the ones without children maybe.

In my opinion, this should be the route that certain social housing recipients should receive, the ones without children maybe.
    Nope. History has shown us that funding will get cut, and the place goes to hell shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats pretty bleak.
    potential for 84 residents sharing a kitchen with just three hobs and two sinks. Only enough seating for 24 people at full capacity.
    The living room is worse. A normal house size living room for a property with potentially 84 residents. wtf.

I lived in a shared house with 7 people before and we had two kitchens. Not much smaller than this shared kitchen. It was still crowded.

However this is exactly the sort of property the government should be building to deal with those in need of temporary accommodation instead of putting people up in hotels/B&B's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

the_syco wrote: »
    Nope. History has shown us that funding will get cut, and the place goes to hell shortly afterwards.

Now that it’s mentioned, the whole thing sounds a lot like those family “hubs”...

the_syco wrote: »

Let it

• Advertisement

Let it
    Letting it is a waste of money. Ballymun flats was were public money was spent before. Great idea, but when funding was cut, they eventually had to spend more money rehousing them into houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If the price is just for the room then yes, it is.

If it includes cleaners, maintenance, bins, electricity, water, internet, tv etc then its probably not as bad as it seems on the surface.

The Killarney ABODE gives all that for E130 a week....https://abodekillarney.com/co-living/

Anyone can buy a kettle/microwave

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone can buy a kettle/microwave

The room has a mini fridge and a sink. Neither a kettle or a microwave makes it a kitchenette. That's if there was even room for them. Have you even looked at the architectural report on the website? These rooms are smaller than a disabled parking space!

The room has a mini fridge and a sink. Neither a kettle or a microwave makes it a kitchenette. That's if there was even room for them. Have you even looked at the architectural report on the website? These rooms are smaller than a disabled parking space!

So disabled spaces not vary in size ?

So disabled spaces not vary in size ?

Minimum area is 17.5m2

conorhal wrote: »
    Ugh.. 100yrs after acheiving independence removed foreign, absentee landlords from our hair, after instituting a massive social housing build program and reforming of tenents rignts, we now have our current bunch of incompetent traitors in power turn around a century later and sell the population back to absentee landlords building the tennement housing of the future.

I take it that you’ve got a better idea?

Personally, I think that it’s a great idea for young singles setting out in life.

Personally, I think that it’s a great idea for young singles setting out in life.

To pay €1,300 a month for what's not much more than a very nice cell? I've looked at the plans and the drawings, you'd lose the will to live after a few weeks

To pay €1,300 a month for what's not much more than a very nice cell? I've looked at the plans and the drawings, you'd lose the will to live after a few weeks

I have lived in bedsits that size. No worries. and really the room is only for sleeping in? Not living 24/7 in. Not a cell as not locked in!

• Advertisement

Folk here are being subjective? rather then objective

Advertisement