Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-living..Shared kitchen for 42 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Caranica wrote: »
    What's the obsession on this thread about the place in Killarney? It's palatial compared to what's proposed for Dun Laoghaire. The decision on planning permission for the application in Dun Laoghaire has the potential to shape development policy for the future. I so hope it's refused. The same developer has planning permission to build 48 apartments on that very site, the only problem being that an apartment will rent for about the same as they're looking for for each of these cells

They won't get planning permission.
    They will then 'alter' the plan and look for permission for a hotel (a bunch of en-suite single rooms with spaces for ammenities??) and they will get that. the permission for a hotel they were originally denied on the same spot.

Want a hotel - Get a hotel, game played and won.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Once lived in one of these co-living spaces for about 2 weeks in Finland. It was well run and pretty clean but still quite a grim place to live, 2 weeks was enough for me. That said most of the residents were 50+ years of age and definitely a good few alcos living there, it was basically like bedsits but with a communal kitchen. They do have a place in the market as there is lots of single older men who cant afford their own place but would prefer not share a house. But €1300 for 16sqm, someone is having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RPZ has created a 2 tier rental market.

People might complain about €1300 for 16sqm, but you're not going to get anything near €1300 for a new rental anymore. This will either get stopped and then no place for anyone, it'll be a hotel, or it'll go from ~200 odd people to less than 50 possible owner occupiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Anybody heard of the 'Mouse Utopia Experiment?

Calhoun’s experiment in high density living where all the wants and needs of the population were met ended on day 350 with total population extinction... every time..

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-mouse-utopias-1960s-led-grim-predictions-humans-180954423/
    "At the peak population, most mice spent every living second in the company of hundreds of other mice. They gathered in the main squares, waiting to be fed and occasionally attacking each other. Few females carried pregnancies to term, and the ones that did seemed to simply forget about their babies. They'd move half their litter away from danger and forget the rest. Sometimes they'd drop and abandon a baby while they were carrying it.

The few secluded spaces housed a population Calhoun called, "the beautiful ones." Generally guarded by one male, the females—and few males—inside the space didn't breed or fight or do anything but eat and groom and sleep. When the population started declining the beautiful ones were spared from violence and death, but had completely lost touch with social behaviors, including having sex or caring for their young."

Yes, I know mice are not people, but you look at Japan with it's declining population and growing number of Hikikomori (adolescents or adults who withdraw from society and seek extreme degrees of isolation and confinement.) that seem to mirror the mouse utopia's 'beautiful ones' and the parallels are stark.
    Human being are not built to live like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Graces7 wrote: »
    https://www.killarneytoday.com/killarneys-not-humble-abode/

So re the dublin manifestation? Concept good; overpriced in spades.
    The above has
    its own kitchen, dining area and living area.
    along with
    the shared kitchen or lounge area
    for less than half what the Dublin setup will cost. The Dun Laoghaire bedrooms doesn't even have their own hob! Also, it has no parking.
    Will you stop with the "tiny box" exaggeration please..
    They are but a bedroom. You're comparing one room with an apartment that has a living room and a kitchen.
    I guess you're not familiar with the tiny-house movement.
    The "tiny house" movement is about mobile houses. Any tiny apartment movement is by people who own the apartment, plan to live there long term, and have built space saving features because they need said features, but don't have the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

conorhal wrote: »
    Anybody heard of the 'Mouse Utopia Experiment?

Not many people put any weight behind that anymore. Not to mention it get's used to explain Feminism, homosexuality, mass killings, and the breakup of family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'd probably manage living there okay, if the price was right. I.e. much lower than €1,300! I'd prefer it to a houseshare anyways.

I'm in an apartment at the moment and a typical day's menu (if I'm eating my meals at home) would be cereal for breakfast, microwaved veg and rice for lunch, waffles done in the toaster for dinner. I have used the hob and oven only once or twice since I moved in here, and then only when I had visitors. Would easily do without so long as I'd have access to a kettle and microwave.

Have lived in hotels for long stints for work in the past, would definitely choose a setup like this over a hotel, if it were for several weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

1300 a month for a glorified youth hostel?

**** that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

**** that.

Its a regular youth hostel- you get these facilities in many regular youth hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

**** that.

The rental crisis is so severe that I'm pretty sure these will not stay unoccupied for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

voluntary wrote: »

**** that.

The rental crisis is so severe that I'm pretty sure these will not stay unoccupied for long.

The point is - you need a better solution then 1300 euros a month for a small room in a place you share with 42 others.

I'm at a loss as to why people would object to sharing with 3 others at less per month but then consider sharing with 40 others at higher rent.

Madness

Old diesel wrote: »
    The point is - you need a better solution then 1300 euros a month for a small room in a place you share with 42 others.

I'm at a loss as to why people would object to sharing with 3 others at less per month but then consider sharing with 40 others at higher rent.

Madness

Wouldn't that be a personal choice? Different people - different motivations and drivers. One prefers this another will chose that. We should try to avoid making decisions for others and forcing our own point of view on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

It won't suit some people.
    It will suit some people short-term.
    It will suit some people longer term.

Comments on thread so far suggest the same.

Its a regular youth hostel- you get these facilities in many regular youth hostels.

Whoop dee doo.. All its short are bunk beds to fit more per room.

That's even happening already.

Desperation is a terrible thing.

Personally, I'd rather emigrate than consider this. It's almost former USSR style living.

Personally, I'd rather emigrate than consider this. It's almost former USSR style living.

Yes. Desperation is the right word. If there were better options available nobody would chose to pay such money for a shared accomodation, that's quite obvious.

At the other hand these could really suit lonely singles. It reminds me student accomodation in old days, it was really cool. I do miss it sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If it were €600 p/m sure. It's aimed at 20 somethings, their average take home pay would only be about €1,700 p/m so yeah, still not an affordable way too live. Better idea: we could elect a genuine left wing county council who will want to build a reasonable supply of social housing and stop selling units off.

They'll drop the prices whenever the supply of rental accomodation kicks in.

They'll drop the prices whenever the supply of rental accomodation kicks.

Yeah I guess that they plan for that when making the initial investment. When student accommodation started popping up everywhere it was very pricey, over €1000 a month, with more and more units becoming available, rents for this september have dropped quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They'll drop the prices whenever the supply of rental accomodation kicks.

Pity someone couldnt just start off with the proper cost effective rate from day 1 - and shake up the market.

Bit like O Leary with airline flights.

• Advertisement

Pity someone couldnt just start off with the proper cost effective rate from day 1 - and shake up the market.

Imagine FG landlords sh!tting themselves if a large company operating thousands of units start offering rents for studios at €600 p/m. Their little HAP scam would be bust.

A business oprotunity which is just screaming - fill me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

cgcsb wrote: »
    Imagine FG landlords sh!tting themselves if a large company operating thousands of units start offering rents for studios at €600 p/m. Their little HAP scam would be bust.

Havent we been over this here several times.

Many LLs dont want hap. They had to be legally forced to accept them. :P

Havent we been over this here several times.

Many LLs dont want hap. They had to be legally forced to accept them. :P

HAP artificially inflates the market though, thus benefiting all landlords.

There are actually 100’s of bedrooms available for rent in the Dublin area at a much smaller rent. Crisis? What crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

cgcsb wrote: »
    If it were €600 p/m sure. It's aimed at 20 somethings, their average take home pay would only be about €1,700 p/m so yeah, still not an affordable way too live. Better idea: we could elect a genuine left wing county council who will want to build a reasonable supply of social housing and stop selling units off.

Left wing? Which council are you talking about?

DCC is overwhelmingly Sinn Fein.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Left wing? Which council are you talking about?

DCC is overwhelmingly Sinn Fein.

I meant genuinely left wing, not people like SF who vote against developing homes or against wealth taxes or for bank bailouts and what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A business oprotunity which is just screaming - fill me up!

There's a few operators such as EasyHotel, but likely only cater for short-term.

You could likely open a hugh cubicle hotel and see ROI within the year, so long as plenty of communical facilities are provided.

Maybe Ryanair could open 'ryanapartments' (standing room only, and charge for tap water).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Suits many, and their freedom to choose. People throw up their hands in horror at how others live far too much. They do it about any way that does not suit them personally .... USSR indeed! lol

My idea of //// would be most of the houses others live in.. being forced as an only option to live in a semi etc would be anathema but that is free choice as is mine to live as I do.

Good luck to them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Suits many, and their freedom to choose. People throw up their hands in horror at how others live far too much. They do it about any way that does not suit them personally .... USSR indeed! lol

My idea of //// would be most of the houses others live in.. being forced as an only option to live in a semi etc would be anathema but that is free choice as is mine to live as I do.

Good luck to them!

Its not a freedom to choose though- if you have no other options.
    The current proposal is this hostel- or 42 apartments.
    They already have the planning for the apartments- but would rather go with the hostel option instead- as aside from any other reason- its an incredible income stream- and the residents do not have any protections whatsoever under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Its a no brainer for the developer- its all about the money.

Advertisement