Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-living..Shared kitchen for 42 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Do you need someone to clean up after you in your home? Most people have the ability and cop on to clean up their own mess.

Ha ! Yes in Japan, but this is Ireland look at our streets, we can't even put our rubbish in bins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Just on a practical level, can you imagine how messy the kitchen and living areas would be?

I'm assuming they have provisions made for this.

The provisions they have made is that a cleaner will spend a day doing a deep clean in the property once a forthnight (yes, once every 2 weeks).

There is no provision for regular cleaning other than the forthnightly big clean. He was quite emphatic about this in the interview- cleaner comes in once a forthnight, the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Graham wrote: »
    Some of the comments here actually are making me lol.

This type of co-living setup has worked quite well under the title 'student accommodation' for some time now without issue.

It is another option that will suit/appeal to a certain cohort.

Did the Indo finally get something spot-on?

Student accommodation has security men on the door and a full time receptionist along with restrictive rules about house guests and accepting the ability of the management to change rooms about.

The provisions they have made is that a cleaner will spend a day doing a deep clean in the property once a forthnight (yes, once every 2 weeks).

There is no provision for regular cleaning other than the forthnightly big clean. He was quite emphatic about this in the interview- cleaner comes in once a forthnight, the end.

Seems about right. Very few households employ a cleaner. They are well able to clean up after themselves.

As for 42 people all being in the kitchen 24/7, gee. When do they sleep, work, study etc.....?
    There are hundreds of rooms available in houseshares. Crisis? What crises?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

riemann wrote: »
    Student accommodation has 4-8 ppl max per kitchen.

8 is less than 42, considerably so.

Each of the communal kitchens appears to contain 2 - 4 cooking stations and is significantly larger with much more seating than you'd typically find in a shared student accommodation kitchen.

The overall design appears to be less kitchens but larger, more communal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems about right. Very few households employ a cleaner. They are well able to clean up after themselves.

As for 42 people all being in the kitchen 24/7, gee. When do they sleep, work, study etc.....?

There is the capacity for 8 people to use the kitchen at any given time- there are to be 4 'terminals' which its safe for two people to share the concurrent use of. There is no provision for all 42 people to use the kitchen at the same time- its a max of 8 at any given time.

As for cleaners- its the fastest growing service sector job out there- its not a sexy job- but it suits many people to do a few hours a week. In many apartment blocks- management companies have contract cleaners who owners/occupiers can subscribe to their services- the most common service would be 2-3 hours a week where a quick clean of the kitchen, bathroom and a hoovering of the property would be included. They do have deepclean packages too- however, they tend to be left to end of tenancies etc- as they are expensive- but they are also tax deductible.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Student accommodation has security men on the door and a full time receptionist along with restrictive rules about house guests and accepting the ability of the management to change rooms about.

Typically co-living properties have receptionists/concierge and allow overnight guests up-to certain limits.

There is the capacity for 8 people to use the kitchen at any given time- there are to be 4 'terminals' which its safe for two people to share the concurrent use of. There is no provision for all 42 people to use the kitchen at the same time- its a max of 8 at any given time.

I don't see why that's an issue. The chances of all 42 residents deciding to prepare food simultaneously are pretty slim.

I would guess most smaller shared kitchens that you'd typically find in dedicated student developments spend most of their time empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It's not the fact that they will 'all be in there at the same time'. Of course they won't! But you can bet your ass that unless every single person cleans up every single crumb and dish immediately after using it that the kitchen will become dirty quite quickly. You can be absolutely sure that there will be jokers who, if by chance alone in the kitchen, will simply leave their dirty dishes behind because nobody saw them. (unless there's CCTV?). Can you imagine the state of the fridges and cupboards after a couple of months? Will the cleaners have the power to throw out out of date, forgotten or spoiled food?

And as for 'well able to clean up after themselves' - I ask you again Maryanne, have you ever actually LIVED in a shared house???

Listen, I don't want to catastrophise it - I'm sure it won't go completely Lord of The Flies - but it will certainly be a mission to keep the communal areas at an acceptable level of cleanliness, by the sheer number of people using them at varying times.

Existing co-living developments appear to manage with basic house rules.

When you've finished with it, clean it and put it away. Some levy a charge where this is not done.

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    It's not the fact that they will 'all be in there at the same time'. Of course they won't! But you can bet your ass that unless every single person cleans up every single crumb and dish immediately after using it that the kitchen will become dirty quite quickly. You can be absolutely sure that there will be jokers who, if by chance alone in the kitchen, will simply leave their dirty dishes behind because nobody saw them. (unless there's CCTV?). Can you imagine the state of the fridges and cupboards after a couple of months? Will the cleaners have the power to throw out out of date, forgotten or spoiled food?

And as for 'well able to clean up after themselves' - I ask you again Maryanne, have you ever actually LIVED in a shared house???

Listen, I don't want to catastrophise it - I'm sure it won't go completely Lord of The Flies - but it will certainly be a mission to keep the communal areas at an acceptable level of cleanliness, by the sheer number of people using them at varying times.

Maybe I’ve got more faith in my fellow citizens. I don’t see them all as dirty slobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Maybe I’ve got more faith in my fellow citizens. I don’t see them all as dirty slobs.

Take a look around you ? We throw our McDonalds out of car windows on Motorways, we put our chewing gum under seats on buses / trains, fling coffee cups into bushes and allow our dogs sh*t all over the roads. I'm sorry, but I can't share your optimism in our fellow citizens.

In any type of communal living arrangement you are likely to have someone that doesn't pull their weight.

In a house share this is something you'd deal with collectively.

In a co-living arrangement, this is something you would expect the local management to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm an aul one and I'm embarrassed by the aul ones on here claiming that this is anywhere close to what we had to live with when we were young.

Yes, I rented a kip of a bedsit but it had it's own bedroom and living room, shared kitchen with one other person who left potatoes in a pot until mold was growing on them and I threw them out. Shared bathroom and he used imperial leather soap which to this day I have to throw out if I see it.

BUT, the huge difference was, I paid 28 pound per week and that was late 80's, early 90's.

I actually think there is a need to provide types of bedsits again but only as budget accommodation which someone who is unable or incapable of affording anything else can afford.

To Graces and Maryanne, cop the fcuk on. You haven't provided any justification whatsoever for these boxes costing 1300 per month.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I'm an aul one and I'm embarrassed by the aul ones on here claiming that this is anywhere close to what we had to live with when we were young.

Yes, I rented a kip of a bedsit but it had it's own bedroom and living room, shared kitchen with one other person who left potatoes in a pot until mold was growing on them and I threw them out. Shared bathroom and he used imperial leather soap which to this day I have to throw out if I see it.

BUT, the huge difference was, I paid 28 pound per week and that was late 80's, early 90's.

I actually think there is a need to provide types of bedsits again but only as budget accommodation which someone who is unable or incapable of affording anything else can afford.

To Graces and Maryanne, cop the fcuk on. You haven't provided any justification whatsoever for these boxes costing 1300 per month.

Jeez. That’s a bit harsh!

Jeez. That’s a bit harsh!

Answer the question then and stop dismissing the concerns of young hard working Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ok 28 pound a week, what was your income ? these things are targetted at single professionals pulling in 3-4k a month, for which full service rental income in dublin will be less 40% or less of their income.

Mod Note

pinkyeye keep it civil. Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This type of co-living setup has worked quite well under the title 'student accommodation' for some time now without issue.
    I can't think of any student accommodation in Ireland at €1,300 a month?

Is that deep clean for the common areas, or the rooms?

If the common areas, it's 7 floors with a kitchen and a common area on each floor, thus how deep a clean can they get in the one day?

If it's the rooms, it's 208 rooms divided by 10 weekdays would mean 20 rooms per day getting a "deep clean"...
    There are 100's of houses where you get to live with the owner occupier and thus have no rights. This building will probably house 204 people with very little, if any, rights.
    42 rooms. 8 people cooking at any one time. If they all want to cook, that'll mean they'll all have a set amount of time, over an hour each split it over 5 hours. Sounds horrendous. Luckily very people know how to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the_syco wrote: »

Is that deep clean for the common areas, or the rooms?

If the common areas, it's 7 floors with a kitchen and a common area on each floor, thus how deep a clean can they get in the one day?

If it's the rooms, it's 208 rooms divided by 10 weekdays would mean 20 rooms per day getting a "deep clean"...

There are 100's of houses where you get to live with the owner occupier and thus have no rights. This building will probably house 204 people with very little, if any, rights.

42 rooms. 8 people cooking at any one time. If they all want to cook, that'll mean they'll all have a set amount of time, over an hour each split it over 5 hours. Sounds horrendous. Luckily very people know how to cook.

I would say the odds of even 24 people wanting to use that kitchen in a day are low, itll be a hell of a lot of takeaway ordered or restaurant eating.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

New Mill was reported up to €1640/month

Luxury' student accommodation with bowling alleys, gyms and cinemas - but it'll cost €410 a week

ok 28 pound a week, what was your income ? these things are targetted at single professionals pulling in 3-4k a month, for which full service rental income in dublin will be less 40% or less of their income.

My income at the time was 168.50 per week so the rent was 1/6th of that or 16%.

So yeah, totally ridiculous.

In fact, stats on living above the POVERTY line suggest that your rent should be no more than 1/3rd of your income.

So you believe that young professionals should be living below the poverty line?

someone with only 2700 month left to live on after accommodation is on the poverty line?

I'm guessing the facts are getting confused there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Genuine question - are there really that many people earning 4k per month after tax??

And where can I get me a job like that! :D

someone with only 2700 month left to live on after accommodation is on the poverty line?

I'm guessing the facts are getting confused there.

I guess you're getting confused now if you think that someone coming out with 4k net AFTER TAX would be in any way interested in living like this.

Total BS, you need to be earning almost 100k gross to be coming out with that. If you're earning that, you're either way up the ladder in your career or a genius. Either way, you don't want to live in a hostel.

And yet the existing co-living schemes appear to be doing quite alright and property development companies are prepared to invest millions.

Answer the question then and stop dismissing the concerns of young hard working Irish people.

As the proud mother of young, educated hard working Irish people, I am speaking from experience and know only too well of their concerns.

Now, to save me going back through the thread, what question would you like me to answer?

And yet the existing co-living schemes appear to be doing quite alright and property development companies are prepared to invest millions.

Which existing ones are doing quite alright? Link please?

Roam, The Collective, Node, We Live, all expanding at the moment before you even begin to look at new entrants to the market.

• Advertisement

Roam, The Collective, Node, We Live, all expanding at the moment before you even begin to look at new entrants to the market.

Are these all charging 1300 per month in a suburb of Dublin?

Advertisement