Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia 2019 - General Thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

terrydel wrote: »
    Cant stand Yates, smug, arrogant, annoying Brit, the type you meet on ski holidays who loves to tell you how good they are.

First Grand Tour I've watched a bit of in years, its actually been enjoyable, probably mainly due to Sky/whatever they are called now being a non factor in it.

Ah, I think you're being a bit harsh on him. I think he was on the wind up at the start and it backfired. I don't mind a little bit of banter. I thought Nibali was funny inviting Roglic around to look at his trophies.
    Up til Yates fell apart within touching distance of the finish in the Giro last year he came across as one of the most humble, honest guys in the peleton. He was almost too nice. When he went for the Vuelta he put up a far tougher front and held his nerve to claim the win so I'd say he was just trying the same here. Tom Dumolin did almost the same after his mugging at the Vuelta and came back much more cynical.
    Amateur psychologist in me thinks he was the skinny lad who punched way above his weight and pulled the local stunner only to have his heart broken when she left him on his prom night to go off with the local jock. That's the kind of thing that'll change your outlook.

Just thinking it's been a shocking bad Giro for Dimension Data. Have they even been in a break???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just thinking it's been a shocking bad Giro for Dimension Data. Have they even been in a break???

Listening to the cycling podcast from yesterday and one caller mentioned how bad they were. You'd nearly forget they were in the race or even existed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Any chance we can just have another Giro in July instead of the Golly Gosh, G Wizz crap that i'm expecting to see and hear.
    Brilliant race and excellent stage again today and that's been with Yates been out of form and Tommy D out after stage 2.

• Advertisement

I think they mentioned him either today or Sunday and not being easy having to 90kg over the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Just caught the highlights of today's stage. The conditions on the Mortirolo looked fairly brutal. It's hard to see Roglic not losing more time over the next few days, although tomorrow's stage isn't that bad. Maybe he can recover in time for Friday and Saturdays stages. He'd need to take the most of a minute back off Carapaz before the TT, can't see it happening

Rumours going around last 2 days that Carapaz is off to the Man City of cycling next year. Going to be a very crowded GT roster when theres only 3 GTs and 5 or 6 GT leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Lots of stuff going round about a flotillas of motorbikes ahead of Nibali group, was surprised how the Roglic group made no inroads on them.

Dunbar is going well, 22nd overall.

You would wonder what he should do - sit up, lose 40 minutes and have an easy day with the sprinters then go up road next day, try win stage?

Or should he keep riding with the front group as long as he can, and stay up in the Top 25 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think his main job at present is to ride for Sivakov. He's always the last domestique standing when the GC battle kicks off

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any sign of Carlton Kirby?

Seems to be all Rob Hatch and Sean Kelly on commentary.

He's on the international stream and isn't available in UK or Ireland. That's what eurosport told me on the twitterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

SHUSH! Don't jinx it! :D

He was actually to be heard on some of the highlight clips shown. Kinda miss him.

Hatch and Kelly don't seem to be in Italy? Normally you'd hear them mention a bad drive between stages or the food etc.

Hatch and Kelly don't seem to be in Italy? Normally you'd hear them mention a bad drive between stages or the food etc.

I’ve noticed that. They seem to be filling that void with the life story of Pavel Sivakov.
    It seems the only thing I don’t know about him is his shoe size.
    Saying that I’d still much rather have Hatch that Kirby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You have to love the pure droll comments from Kelly. Yesterday one of the riders cut it very fine on a corner, Hatch mentioned him having the same coach as Carapaz and Kelly quick as a flash "they could do with teaching him how to descend" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I’ve noticed that. They seem to be filling that void with the life story of Pavel Sivakov.
    It seems the only thing I don’t know about him is his shoe size.
    Saying that I’d still much rather have Hatch that Kirby.

We've also been getting chapter and verse on Fausto Coppi.

They only thing Hatch fails to mention of course is that his hero Coppi is considered the godfather of doping in cycling.

I think his main job at present is to ride for Sivakov. He's always the last domestique standing when the GC battle kicks off

I was thinking that alright.

I'd say he is doing what he is told by the DS.

Great experience to be riding with the leaders in the mountains in week 3 of a Grand Tour.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You have to love the pure droll comments from Kelly. Yesterday one of the riders cut it very fine on a corner, Hatch mentioned him having the same coach as Carapaz and Kelly quick as a flash "they could do with teaching him how to descend" :D

new 1 today: Patrick Le Favour from quickstep

• Advertisement

Didn't Kelly say the Aussie sprinter Kay Balloon?

We've also been getting chapter and verse on Fausto Coppi.

They only thing Hatch fails to mention of course is that his hero Coppi is considered the godfather of doping in cycling.

Coppi said he only doped when necessary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Coppi said he only doped when necessary

Well, if it was only when it was necessary

Advertisement