Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rg_lv wrote: »
    What do people think in the Irish context- is the Long range P worth the 12k?

The performance is relatively good value in Ireland. In other EU countries the price difference between SR+ and performance seems to be higher

It will keep its value better. It depends a bit on how much you value the insane acceleration and if you are a (very) keen driver. And if you need the range. You only really need the range if you have neither work nor home charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    The performance is relatively good value in Ireland. In other EU countries the price difference between SR+ and performance seems to be higher

It will keep its value better. It depends a bit on how much you value the insane acceleration and if you are a (very) keen driver. And if you need the range. You only really need the range if you have neither work nor home charging

I agree - a spec’ed Performance is about €70/75k, which when compared with an M3 (which is what Tesla target), is a massive €40k saving.
    In Ireland it’s targeting the s4 (now a diesel) and the 440i in terms of price, both of which are depreciation monsters. I have a 420d and even that’s down €30k in 4 years.
    If you can afford it, the 3-4 year residual value on a model 3 Performance will make all the difference, especially when you factor in that the battery range on future EVs will be improved from current level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As a keen driver myself, if I could afford it, the performance would be very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Good to see this thread back on track after a few pages of Tesla vs Other manufacturers and people going on about share prices. it's impossible to create a Tesla thread on here which doesn't attract the same cohort of posters looking to make snarky comments about the company. Really hope this thread can become a place where people who actually own a Model 3 can talk about their experiences / provide advice to those considering a purchase.

Looks like I'll need to hold off till Q4 to make my purchase as the finances just don't work at the mo. I want to buy in cash so it'll require a bit more saving. Hoping this thread is a useful place to hear stories of how Irish Model 3 owners are getting on / see pics of peoples setup etc...

Edit to actually add some useful information (for those who care about this type of thing) the video game Cuphead will be playable on the model 3 in the coming months it seems. The first island is being ported. Musk confirmed in an interview with a Tesla podcast that you'll be able to download the game directly to the car. Absolutely wild tbh.

I’ve been waiting for an EV to replace my current car and the model 3 would be it if they can get that LR spec right in the €50-55k range.
    Absolutely no offense to those with firm orders, but for €49k I need more than just black on black, standard range and hubcaps. it still feels a bit like I’m a beta tester.

Beepbeep updated the May registrations this morning - just 2 Tesla’s registered, one S, one X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

placed an order last night, reservations up to 120 now on the invoice, any one got a link to the tesla owners FB group?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

jordan191 wrote: »
    placed an order last night, reservations up to 120 now on the invoice, any one got a link to the tesla owners FB group?

Thanks for update on invoice number.

If you search Tesla Owners Ireland on Facebook you’ll find it easily enough, not sure how to share the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Banned a user from forum for uncivilness and post removed.

Stay on topic, please report any post not directly linked to Tesla model 3.
    Poster may get post removed and repeat offenders gets banned from forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

What was the comment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

I took delivery of my Model 3 this morning. It's a little smaller than anticipated.

tessie.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Has anyone got a call from Tesla about there order yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I took delivery of my Model 3 this morning. It's a little smaller than anticipated.

tessie.jpg

Hope you complained about the panel gaps:D

backlashs wrote: »
    Has anyone got a call from Tesla about there order yet?

No, should we expect one? I wouldn't have thought we'll hear anything until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

No, should we expect one? I wouldn't have thought we'll hear anything until July.

I was under the impression that they call you to get details for payment and to arrange Trade in,

Might be misinformed though,

Maybe I'm just getting impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

For those who have plonked down their cash for the Model 3, take heart from some reviews from Model 3 owners ... quite a few saying it's the best car they've ever owned. :)

backlashs wrote: »
    I was under the impression that they call you to get details for payment and to arrange Trade in,

Might be misinformed though,

Maybe I'm just getting impatient

I think all that happens a couple of weeks before delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

s8n wrote: »
    What was the comment ?

Damn, I was writing a nice reply at the same time it was getting removed. Let's see if this works
    what kind of clown are you, you copy part of my post and exclude tge detail of the share price! .... Your investment will be wiped out,

Does anyone look at a company's share price before buying a car. GM and Chrysler went bust a few years back and people still bought their cars. A car is not an 'investment' it's mostly a depreciating transport tool and partly a status badge. EVs are batteries and motors, they are now lasting a decade without any maintenance. For the rest, braking systems and tyres - we have plenty of shops for those.

If, IF, Tesla went bust in the morning, another company would pick up its IP and tools for cheap and keep on going with that tech. The ICE business model is dead, Tesla, whatever its future, is a major part in that change now. Now, back to Model 3 - what are you driving or buying - is there any EV in there for you? User banned so prob not an EV advocate

To keep this thread on track- the 120-ish of us that have put an order in so far will surely follow the same path as our European brethren, and start compulsively watching marinetraffic.com from mid June. There will be a large car transporter, slowly making its way east, filled with thousands of Teslas for Europe and it will briefly dock in one of the Branch Roads to offload a few percent of its cargo for us before heading to Plymouth and Zeebrugge...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    There will be a large car transporter, slowly making its way east, filled with thousands of Teslas for Europe and it will briefly dock in one of the Branch Roads to offload a few percent of its cargo for us before heading to Plymouth and Zeebrugge...

What do you mean by Branch Road? An Irish Port?
    I guessed we would be getting deliveries on car transporters from the UK ports.

A detailed tracker of ships loading at Tesla's pier in San Francisco
    http://bit.ly/TeslaCarriers

Munurty wrote: »
    What do you mean by Branch Road?

1, 2 and 3 Branch road are the quays in Dublin port that connect to Alexandra Road. Last time I was at a car transporter offload, there were ~20 stevedores driving cars further inland to a big carpark and then coming back on a small bus.

I'm sure some Logistics person in Tesla has already done the maths to see which is cheaper: docking a GLOVIS for a few hours in Dublin vs 20? car transport trailers driving across England and getting the ferry to Dublin, place your bets! I'm guessing (hoping?) they will drop off the first big delivery directly and then reply on the UK for steady state top ups after that.

Thx for the tracker link, I was looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

Can we get a vote on which colour suites the model 3 best?
    I know it depends on individual taste, but would be interesting to see what colour is popular specially not many of us have seen it in real life (apart from the red in the show room)
    I like the white but after seeing a few videos, the wife says the white does not show the curves as much.
    Black makes everything too dark.
    Red is probably the best but thinking about resale and fading after few 5+ years
    What did everyone else order and why?

• Advertisement

I know it depends on individual taste, but would be interesting to see what colour is popular specially not many of us have seen it in real life (apart from the red in the show room)
    I like the white but after seeing a few videos, the wife says the white does not show the curves as much.
    Red is probably the best but thinking about resale and fading after few 5+ years

I think the blue looks great on the model 3. The red is simply too expensive, but is the best colour. For €2,200 it won’t be fading any time soon. The Californian sun would have shown that up on the model S long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Not seen the car in person yet, but for me Red is the nicest but not worth the money.

1. Red
    2. Deep Blue Metallic / Pearly White
    3. Solid Black
    4. Midnight Silver (Not a fan of this one)

How easy is it to change out the Alloy's on the 18" wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Red with chrome delete is nicest colour but any red Teslas I’ve seen in Ireland don’t look great as the red needs to be polished constantly.

Went for blue myself. Had been hoping for blue with white interior but can’t wait any longer.

Anyone looking at getting chrome delete and window tint? Any places in Dublin you’d recommend?

I've seen them all, my thoughts are:

Red is beautiful when well polished and the sun is shining, but it does get very dull, very quickly. It was my original choice, but the cost tipped me over the edge and I went for...

White. The white just looks classy. White is a very personal taste though, a lot of people hate it. The pearlessence is great, it's not a flat white.

Midnight Silver Metallic is the most popular colour in the US. It's fine, but to me it's bland, and under our grey Irish skies, it's just gonna look... grey.

Blue. I'm a United fan, so f*** blue.

Black. Looks great, but scratches SO easily. It's single coat, where as all others are multi-coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Black. Looks great, but scratches SO easily. It's single coat, where as all others are multi-coat.

Did not know that - Blue or white it'll be so at the time of ordering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Red looks fantastic in the showroom but a bit dull outdoors on an overcast day.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Did not know that - Blue or white it'll be so at the time of ordering :)

Didn’t know single coat also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I personally don't like the blue or red, they look a bit dull when not perfectly clean.

White probably shows the car to it's best IMO (But probably not in pics). I am only going by what I have seen in other models, yet to see a Model 3.

If we got the white interior then I think the silver (Discontinued) or grey would look well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

smokybacon wrote: »
    Didn’t know single coat also.

We have mineral grey bmer. So no to grey. Too same same. When clean looks well, when dirty looks like a trabant anyway.

Red too expensive.

Sorry defo not white, cannot understand obsession with it. Any regular car. Unless Lambo or Koenigsegg or the likes.

Leaves blue or black.

Has to be black. Cool any day and coordinates with the furry dice. Will not be dechromed, like the chrome.

Besides paying enough already so not blue.

Can black not be minded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eagerv wrote: »
    White probably shows the car to it's best IMO (But probably not in pics). I am only going by what I have seen in other models, yet to see a Model 3.

The white in person really does stand out compared to photos. While the blue looks nice in photos, but I didn't like it up close.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

White
    Performance pack
    Not too bothered about FSD. I would add that later if ever required.

Please guys, one of you lot buy this spec so I can buy it second hand in 2 years :)

One thing I’ve noticed, no option for privacy glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

damn I wanted to go for either red outside black inside or black outside and white inside.

Since for some reason they don’t give us the white interior option I wanted to go for the red outside with the black interior but reading these comments is making myself want to go for something else now...

If I put a paint protection layer + ceramic coating on it then the colour should remain vibrant for years?

Yurple wrote: »

If I put a paint protection layer + ceramic coating on it then the colour should remain vibrant for years?

Certainly protected, yep. Just don’t expect the gorgeous red you see in all the pics on a dull grey day. It’s still great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

damn I wanted to go for either red outside black inside or black outside and white inside.

Since for some reason they don’t give us the white interior option I wanted to go for the red outside with the black interior but reading these comments is making myself want to go for something else now...

Any idea how much the clear paint protection wrap and ceramic coating will cost?

• Advertisement

damn I wanted to go for either red outside black inside

I came around to this when I realised it was the same price as blue outside/white inside.

Then reality slapped me upside the head, you can't have a white interior if a) you have kids and/or b) you wear denim because that inevitable staining will slowly eat away your soul. So white interior on the next one/for when the kids leave home

Then I considered just black with a wrap, but that's silly money too and we're not the US where detailers are on every corner. So really, it's the protection/cleanliness that stands out so it's gonna be coated, by me with the best performance/value product from this lot:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Like the grey. Was initially set on blue, but watched a few YouTube videos of the blue one and I was not as impressed as pics.

The red is far too flashy for Ireland, it's not SoCal lads :)
    Is nice tho...

jusmeig wrote: »
    The red is far too flashy for Ireland, it's not SoCal lads :)
    Is nice tho...

Speak for yourself, I’m in Roscommon, it’s practically LA.

Speak for yourself, I’m in Roscommon, it’s practically LA.

Lol - I'll put red covers on my areos, go fast red covers...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

White interior is back as an option !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

BobbyBingo wrote: »

Elon is a man of his word. :cool:

The red is a multi layer paint, hence the €2,200.

On the most recent 2 new cars in our house we got ceramic coating applied on the day of delivery. Most have a 3 year warranty and I think it’s well worth the €350-400 personally, if you just want to wash your own car (in the correct way, obviously) and not worry about swirls for a few years.
    My car is almost 4 years old and has no swirls.

I’d do the same with next new car for sure.

the almost universal consensus on Tesla’s seems to be that the paint doesn’t come from factory to the same standard as other cars at that price. A quick detail and coating finishes the job right.

Any idea how much the clear paint protection wrap and ceramic coating will cost?

Hmmm I haven’t really looked into many options yet but did find ceramic pro only with different packages.

I need to research exactly what is needed like how many layers is enough so paying for more layers becomes pointless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

€1,050 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

I have exactly the same idea, going for red and adding PPF + ceramic coaring on top. Any experiences of both would be awesome

Wow I love this thread because of people like you! :) thanks for update!!! I will now go with the black exterior and white interior :)

Going to research what protection to put on the paint because read many stories that their black paint isn’t the best.

Ya noticed that.
    Where are people seeing the order number in the hundreds btw, email?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

jusmeig wrote: »
    Ya noticed that.
    Where are people seeing the order number in the hundreds btw, email?

On their own order invoices I believe.

137 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Wow I love this thread because of people like you! :) thanks for update!!! I will now go with the black exterior and white interior :)

Going to research what protection to put on the paint because read many stories that their black paint isn’t the best.

You can thank me by using my referral code!

I've noticed that a few people on this thread are opting for the Full Self-Driving Capability. Granted it's pretty amazing tech but it's a lot of money for what it offers. Here's my take on each of the options it offers based on my own Model S :

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from motorway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
    - it's brilliant and works pretty well (and will only improve with time), but we only have a handful of motorways.. I use it on the M50 (because I can) and the odd run to Cork (again because I can). But in reality, it just makes the one turn really for me (turning off at my exit). We don't have a complex network of motorways like the states or even the UK, where you merge from one motorway to the next etc.

Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the motorway.
    - this is only in the most recent update so I havent really used it in anger. Could be useful on the motorway.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
    - this is flat out cool. BUT, I've only used it a handful of times really just to show it to someone as to how it works..

Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a car park. Really.
    - this is cool too, but the latest update has made it less useful. Your phone needs to be connected to the car via bluetooth for it to now work, so you need to be standing practically on top of the car.

Traffic Light and Stop Sign recognition would be cool, but they aren't quite there with it yet.

So for me, if I spent the €5.4k, I think I'd only really get value out of the Auto Lane Change and the Traffic Light recognition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement