Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hartunion wrote: »
    So heading to Limerick tomorrow with a stop in Birdhill - I'm just going to assume I'll be comfortable to get there. I'll add it obviously on the sat Nav and assume I'll get sufficent warnings if I need to re-think and go to Durrow?

Have to say regardless of conditions etc, if I can't make it to Birdhill, I'll be pissed.

I'll keep you posted.
    If you select the supercharger on the satnav (or any destination for that manner) you will get a projected % remaining for when you get there. This is generally accurate, assuming keeping to the speed limits 120 on motorway and running heat at 22 etc. You'll get plenty of warnings if the car thinks you wont make it

You also get alerts like "keep below X speed to reach destination" if it's touch and go. It's really hard to run out in a Tesla!

Maybe one of us does not understand English so well. The discrepance is between what the tesla claims in real world (400) and what the posters here are getting (200)

Well done on having X5, but it is not a badge of honour - I am not impressed with that.

A V8 X5 is a nice machine. But that's beside the point... have you ever compared claimed range (mpg) for fossil cars to real world range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you select the supercharger on the satnav (or any destination for that manner) you will get a projected % remaining for when you get there. This is generally accurate, assuming keeping to the speed limits 120 on motorway and running heat at 22 etc. You'll get plenty of warnings if the car thinks you wont make it

Also worth noting that there's lots of charging options in towns across the country (as long as you don't go North West, it seems!) but when you head towards a SuperCharger, the battery will "pre-condition" itself (i.e. heat up) to have optimal performance for charging as fast as it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Id like to think the 123 miles from Malenhide to Birdhill according to Google is very doable on 100 percent battery

Looking on a UK forum someone who did a trip with a very cold Model 3 at start - snowflake on battery - restricted regen for most of journey - got 89 miles on 56 percent.

That was at 75 mph when possible too apparently. They stopped to supercharge after the 89 miles and found efficiency improved after that.

Even with all the emerging news of winter efficiency being disappointing on Model 3 - id be taking it back to Tesla if if couldnt make a 123 mile journey.

Even Royale with Cheese got a figure that equates with 144 miles at 100 percent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I knew motorway range in winter would be decreased, a bit disappointed in just how much it's decreased though. I would view the SR+ as more of a city car now. It's fine for me as I rarely leave Dublin (or go further than Wicklow when I do), but I wouldn't be recommending it if you need to make regular long journeys.

Longer journeys even in winter should be ok because of where I live, Tesla have put the superchargers pretty much halfway between me and the major destinations. The ionity charger in Athlone covers me for the west for now until the Athenry supercharger is built. I'm thinking of heading to Dingle over new years but won't have enough charge to do a round trip from bird hill and also do some driving around Kerry when I'm down there. A few hours charging off the ESB chargers in Dingle should do it, as long as they're up and running and I'm not queuing too long for one. Failing that I can slow charge out the apartment window if absolutely necessary. The car should so everything I need it to, but the long range would do it a lot more comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it worth returning it and getting the long range. Not a huge amount in the bik and it doesn't sound like the standard rage is going to very desirable on the second hand market come trade up time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Tell me about it, my ESB bill averages €169 and the last one was €284 - i have my car 2 months today and done most of my charging at work!!

Quick switch to dual rate which was done yesterday. Funky new meter now installed.

That's the reason most won't move to EV's

My ESB bill went up €120 lol

Is it worth returning it and getting the long range. Not a huge amount in the bik and it doesn't sound like the standard rage is going to very desirable on the second hand market come trade up time.

I got the LR and have found it very easy to travel cross-country (using charging network to top it up to faff around at the destination, etc.) but Ireland is small, and the SR+ will suit most people easily. It has a WLTP range of 400km. Right now we're in winter so the cold is affecting the battery performance but driving style, speed, weather, tyre pressure and other consumers (A/C, etc.) affect range.

Has anyone had better performance from the battery by scheduling the departure time in v10?

For me, no. Added €10k purchase price, add another 12.5% in corporation tax onto that. Seai grant gone so another €3800 onto the purchase price and 12.5% on top of that again. Then the added BIK is the guts of €5000 over 3 years out of my pocket, not the company's.

It looks like regular 200 mile trips need 60 kwh or more battery size unless you don't mind more stops.

SR+ is just around the 50 to 52 kwh mark. :(.

Still not sure it's just a city car though - regardless of the Birdhill benchmark being met or not - it's almost certainly going to only need one stop for many Irish versions of a long trip.

So Dublin to Limerick is still a one stopper to get to Limerick even if that one stop ended up being an earlier stop then Birdhill.

Really its for a prospective buyer to weigh up how often they need to do the trip, look at time constraints and other concerns in terms of their own needs.

And decide whether they need a bigger battery or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Old diesel wrote: »
    It looks like regular 200 mile trips need 60 kwh or more battery size unless you don't mind more stops.

SR+ is just around the 50 to 52 kwh mark. :(.

Still not sure it's just a city car though - regardless of the Birdhill benchmark being met or not - it's almost certainly going to only need one stop for many Irish versions of a long trip.

So Dublin to Limerick is still a one stopper to get to Limerick even if that one stop ended up being an earlier stop then Birdhill.

Really its for a prospective buyer to weigh up how often they need to do the trip, look at time constraints and other concerns in terms of their own needs.

And decide whether they need a bigger battery or not.

I did a 350km trip a few weeks ago on a single trip in terrible weather conditions, started with 90% battery and returned home with 20kms left, so that's ok in a M3 LR car I think

• Advertisement

I knew motorway range in winter would be decreased, a bit disappointed in just how much it's decreased though. I would view the SR+ as more of a city car now. It's fine for me as I rarely leave Dublin (or go further than Wicklow when I do), but I wouldn't be recommending it if you need to make regular long journeys.

Longer journeys even in winter should be ok because of where I live, Tesla have put the superchargers pretty much halfway between me and the major destinations. The ionity charger in Athlone covers me for the west for now until the Athenry supercharger is built. I'm thinking of heading to Dingle over new years but won't have enough charge to do a round trip from bird hill and also do some driving around Kerry when I'm down there. A few hours charging off the ESB chargers in Dingle should do it, as long as they're up and running and I'm not queuing too long for one. Failing that I can slow charge out the apartment window if absolutely necessary. The car should so everything I need it to, but the long range would do it a lot more comfortably.

I'd be giving that SR+ back if it couldn't do 170km Birdhill to Dingle on a full charge

You won't be driving any faster than 100km/h for 130km of that journey

I'd expect it to do it's wltp range of 350km+ on that journey, it's handy driving, slow, plenty of regen past tralee

Mike9832 wrote: »
    I'd be giving that SR+ back if it couldn't do 170km Birdhill to Dingle on a full charge

You won't be driving any faster than 100km/h for 130km of that journey

I'd expect it to do it's wltp range of 350km+ on that journey, it's handy driving, slow, plenty of regen past tralee

The point is that the poster wants to drive around Dingle when he or she is there and then also return to Birdhill.

That will just need charging in Dingle.

Annoyingly I think the ESB chargers in Dingle are 22 kw AC I think.

For me, no. Added €10k purchase price, add another 12.5% in corporation tax onto that. Seai grant gone so another €3800 onto the purchase price and 12.5% on top of that again. Then the added BIK is the guts of €5000 over 3 years out of my pocket, not the company's.

Why are you adding corporation tax onto the purchase price? I'm concerned as I thought I had it all figured out financially.
    I was driving the price down with the ACC and 20% of the Vat Back to try and justify it.
    Really should be no bik on all electric cars until we hit 50% of the national fleet.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The point is that the poster wants to drive around Dingle when he or she is there and then also return to Birdhill.

That will just need charging in Dingle.

Annoyingly I think the ESB chargers in Dingle are 22 kw AC I think.

Yeah that side of the country is crap for charging, all Kerry is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I've done 4 220km+ trips so far in my SR+ from Dublin to Sligo and back. Drove at the speed limit and aircon was on at about 19 degrees the whole way. Left each time with about 90-95% and arrived each time with 15-18% left. No alerts to keep speed below 100km/h or anything like that.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Yeah that side of the country is crap for charging, all Kerry is awful

FWIW I was just around that part of the world in my car (we've been making excuses for roadtrips!) and found it easy because there's a pile of hotels with Destination Chargers in their carparks.

Why are you adding corporation tax onto the purchase price? I'm concerned as I thought I had it all figured out financially.
    I was driving the price down with the ACC and 20% of the Vat Back to try and justify it.
    Really should be no bik on all electric cars until we hit 50% of the national fleet.

The car is an asset, you can't deduct its value from your end of year profit/loss. If your company makes €100k and you pay yourself €50k and spend the rest on a Tesla, you've made €50k profit that year. You can use the accelerated capital allowances to write off €24k of its value immediately but that's still a €26k profit you owe corporation tax on. If you spend €60k on the long range version then you've made a €36k profit, and the purchase price of the car is actually €64k without that seai grant so your profit is then €40k. There is another, smaller corporation tax bill to pay when you sell the car if you sell it for more than the original purchase price less the €24k allowance you got.

It really depends on how you run your company and accounts though. I'm a one man company and never usually declare a profit, would pay into a pension and take the rest as salary.

You also need to be using the car for business purposes for a certain amount to be able to reclaim a portion of the VAT, which I'm not doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm thinking of heading to Dingle over new years .... A few hours charging off the ESB chargers in Dingle should do it, as long as they're up and running and I'm not queuing too long for one.

The Dingle AC charger is across the road from the aquarium. One of their employees uses it as their personal charger and car space! :rolleyes:

You might have to go in and ask her to move... she did for me no bother.

KCross wrote: »
    The Dingle AC charger is across the road from the aquarium. One of their employees uses it as their personal charger and car space! :rolleyes:

You might have to go in and ask her to move... she did for me no bother.

496730.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

496730.png

What's your point? He wants to charge in Dingle? :confused:

Destination chargers on the other peninsula are no use unless he plans to stop there anyway?

KCross wrote: »
    What's your point? He wants to charge in Dingle? :confused:

Destination chargers on the other peninsula are no use unless he plans to stop there anyway?

Similar to Ionity/SuperChargers. These are super handy to drop off to for a little while. Grab some lunch somewhere and charge the car up so you have loads of wiggle room in Dingle/surrounding area before you head home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe one of us does not understand English so well. The discrepance is between what the tesla claims in real world (400) and what the posters here are getting (200)
    Tesla does not claim "400km in real world", whatever that means. It states the tested WLTP range, and in-car a "rated" range which I think is based on EPA tests.

There is no such thing as an objective "real world range".

If you won't like the WLTP range methodology fine, but that's nothing to do with Tesla.

Lumen wrote: »
    Tesla does not claim "400km in real world", whatever that means. It states the tested WLTP range, and in-car a "rated" range which I think is based on EPA tests.

There is no such thing as an objective "real world range".

If you won't like the WLTP range methodology fine, but that's nothing to do with Tesla.
    +1
    The rated range (EU) is achievable in summer, and 90-95% achievable in winter if you preheat first.

+1
    The rated range (EU) is achievable in summer, and 90-95% achievable in winter if you preheat first.

It's seem to be 30/50% loss in winter. It's not winter, people seem to think we're in the throws of it, it was snowing Paddy's day last year iirc, there's possibly 5mts of winter to go yet.
    There's no other range mentioned on the Tesla website other than the WLTP, which I don't think we should be using here as it's not relative to our roads or climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

It's seem to be 30/50% loss in winter. It's not winter, people seem to think we're in the throws of it, it was snowing Paddy's day last year iirc, there's possibly 5mts of winter to go yet.
    There's no other range mentioned on the Tesla website other than the WLTP, which I don't think we should be using here as it's not relative to our roads or climate.

Where are you getting this info from? Im driving an EV (as are many of the other members on this forum for years). I have seen a max of about 20% range loss in the Ioniq, that was driving in cold weather (a few degrees above zero) heading to Cork, into wind/rain. I could still do 150km no problem, but was never above 110kph

The SR+ will do 200km no probs unless u are hammering.
    Bjorn has gone further in worse conditions!

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    Where are you getting this info from? Im driving an EV (as are many of the other members on this forum for years). I have seen a max of about 20% range loss in the Ioniq, that was driving in cold weather (a few degrees above zero) heading to Cork, into wind/rain. I could still do 150km no problem, but was never above 110kph

The SR+ will do 200km no probs unless u are hammering.
    Bjorn has gone further in worse conditions!

Never above 110kph

Thats the thing, not a fair comparison

Your not gonna sit into a 300bhp Tesla and never go above 110kph on the motorway to Cork

Set the Ioniq to normal 130kph and see range drop

Never above 110kph

Your not gonna sit into a 300bhp Tesla and never go above 110kph on the motorway to Cork

I agree, driving 110 on the motorway in a Tesla is ridiculous.
    That's why we buy Teslas, to not drive leafspeed.

I only drove to cork and back the other week. Stopped in ballacolla on the way down for 10 mins and cashel on the way back for 45 (wanted to get value for my 8 quid lol). 120 the whole way.

Never above 110kph

Is that not....against the law? :(
    If you want to not break the law, you can drive a tesla all the way to Cork on a single charge -> this makes more sense.
    Are electric horses the same as non electric ones...

Is that not....against the law? :(
    If you want to not break the law, you can drive a tesla all the way to Cork on a single charge -> this makes more sense.
    Are electric horses the same as non electric ones...
    130 indicated in the Ioniq is about 124 GPS speed (130 indicated in the Tesla is 129-130).
    You're technically breaking the law but I frequently drive 125 indicated in the Tesla and get overtaken more than I overtake.

You can drive to Cork without charging but you'd better have a charger at your destination!

Never above 110kph
    He did a "late winter" (Norway, so a fair bit of snow on the ground but dry roads) range test including driving at 120kph GPS speed on 20" wheels shod in Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 studless winter tyres and reported 218 Wh/km.

That's enough for about 340km of range.

https://insideevs.com/news/343128/tesla-model-3-performance-winter-range-test-video/

• Advertisement

We are consistently below 10 degrees. When the temperature drops close to freezing, (it was -2 on my way in today) the range plummets.

Tesla don't claim any ranges. The only claim is the WLTP and EPA ranges.
    The car will tell you the rated range, a nominal typical range based on a constant wh/km, and a predicted range.

He did a "late winter" (Norway, so a fair bit of snow on the ground but dry roads) range test including driving at 120kph GPS speed on 20" wheels shod in Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 studless winter tyres and reported 218 Wh/km.

That's enough for about 340km of range.

https://insideevs.com/news/343128/tesla-model-3-performance-winter-range-test-video/

Some of these posters are not actually interested in actual facts.
    If the car cannot drive <insert my previous ICE usage> on a single charge with <insert driving style> then they are bad and evil.

Don't buy it. I mean the car is really really difficult to buy...i've been trying to buy one for over 3 years with no success :)

You're technically breaking the law but I frequently drive 125 indicated in the Tesla and get overtaken more than I overtake.

ELM I wont tell anyone, secret = safe. ;)

I frequently drive 125 indicated in the Tesla and get overtaken more than I overtake.

I'm there or there abouts I tried jusmeig's 115km on the motorway home this evening just past portlaoise, everything was overtaking me and it nearly caused an accident where it branches off to the M7 as people were trying to race in ahead of me.
    It feels very close to the same speed but at the same time it's a rolling road block on Irish motorways.
    125km is the new taking it handy you'll still be overtaken but not as constantly.

I'm there or there abouts I tried jusmeig's 115km on the motorway home this evening just past portlaoise, everything was overtaking me and it nearly caused an accident where it branches off to the M7 as people were trying to race in ahead of me.
    It feels very close to the same speed but at the same time it's a rolling road block on Irish motorways.
    125km is the new taking it handy you'll still be overtaken but not as constantly.

Exactly

You need to be 140 on speedo to be not be overtaken frequently

Quiz time!

What's the motorway speed limit for

1. A car towing a trailer
    2. A heavy commercial vehicle towing a trailer
    3. HGV
    You need to be 140 on speedo to be not be overtaken frequently

What's the problem with being overtaken?

Not bothered if someone overtakes me in the correct manner, most people don't and then there is tailgating

I'll be driving along at 120 and some kn*b will be sitting 3" off my bumper.

I just prefer to drive car on and not get involved in all that crap that comes with doing 110/120 on motorway

Remember folks, it's not a "fast lane"...it's an overtaking lane.

Driving at 115kph is both dangerous an unacceptable, said no judge ever.

Masculinity thing, us EV elites have evolved past this.

But I digress, who is taking my delivery this week. And why have the maritime reports stopped?!

Quiz time!

What's the motorway speed limit for

1. A car towing a trailer
    2. A heavy commercial vehicle towing a trailer
    3. HGV

A about the same limit as an EV they always seem to be tailgating them.

I like to drive from the front not the rear, it's not that mad a concept.

• Advertisement

A about the same limit as an EV they always seem to be tailgating them.

I like to drive from the front not the rear, it's not that mad a concept.

Are you not buying a Model 3, why u be ripping on your new EV brethren?! Embrace the tailgating, learn to blindly defend The Elon, master of the great simulation.

I don't know why I bother with these ridiculous thread derailments, but I nonetheless feel the need to point out that whilst EV range drops a bit in cold weather, Bjorn's modest 218 Wh/km in snowy late-winter Norway suggests that the main impediment to range is actually driving over the motorway speed limit when it is both very cold and wet, which is unarguably stupid as well as illegal.

Either that or there's something magic about Irish road conditions, like a particularly rough road surface.

Are you not buying a Model 3, why u be ripping on your new EV brethren?! Embrace the tailgating, learn to blindly defend The Elon, master of the great simulation.

I'm buying a performance car coming from a long line of performance cars. I'm sure it'll be fine going by Elm.
    It's cool, I like it, it's bloddy expensive, I still find myself looking up S5's and thinking I'd be better staying in a bik free world though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Remember folks, it's not a "fast lane"...it's an overtaking lane.

Driving at 115kph is both dangerous an unacceptable, said no judge ever.

No, for EV owners it's apparently a fix my autopilot deficiencies lane.
    unkel wrote: »
    There's a workaround. Just drive in the overtaking lane at 140km/h, problem sorted :D

Just make sure that you monitor the traffic behind you and that in the unlikely event someone wants to overtake you, you temporarily switch back to the driving land. I have to do same in Ioniq for the same reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Today I drove from Donegal to Galway and am now on my way to Wexford- I am driving a 28 kilowatt hour Ioniq- no drama- all good - would love to have a model 3 to do the journey in-
    The painful part is reading posts lamenting the model 3 range- it would seem some people may not have fully researched their purchase.

mouthful wrote: »
    Today I drove from Donegal to Galway and am now on my way to Wexford- I am driving a 28 kilowatt hour Ioniq- no drama- all good - would love to have a model 3 to do the journey in-
    The painful part is reading posts lamenting the model 3 range- it would seem some people may not have fully researched their purchase.

Different expectations I suppose

Most people posting here who bought Model 3s are directors/executives etc from large companies

The working man in Ioniqs used own cash and researched

Most people posting here who bought Model 3s are directors/executives etc from large companies

Lol, I imagined you were sitting in front on a marble fireplace sloshing a Brandy saying that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I am not a director or executive (not sure what that even is)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not bothered if someone overtakes me in the correct manner, most people don't and then there is tailgating

I'll be driving along at 120 and some kn*b will be sitting 3" off my bumper.

I just prefer to drive car on and not get involved in all that crap that comes with doing 110/120 on motorway

Much safer to just let them pass and let them drive on.
    They are better in front of you than behind you.

• Advertisement

Don't generalise, there are several flavours of Model 3 owner.

image.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement