Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

mouthful wrote: »
    Today I drove from Donegal to Galway and am now on my way to Wexford- I am driving a 28 kilowatt hour Ioniq- no drama- all good - would love to have a model 3 to do the journey in-
    The painful part is reading posts lamenting the model 3 range- it would seem some people may not have fully researched their purchase.

It's actually a wider EV issue where you have summer range and winter range.

Winter range isnt hitting expectations - ie the winter range drop is higher then anticipated.

Part of problem is how cars are sold - Tesla dont tell you that an SR+ driven on motorway in winter could be down to 140 miles. That's an industry wide issue not just Tesla.

You buy one of these expecting 200ish miles range.

It's a tricky mess because there's a number of issues at play.

1) Tesla's heating is heavy on energy - no heat pump afaik.. I've also seen Model 3 users who own other EVs say they reckon the Tesla is slower to warm up - ie battery wise.

2) SR+ is actually a relatively small battery so range is somewhat limited. If you need 200ish miles miles range all year then it looks like you need 64 kwh and higher.

3) people expect Tesla to be long distance flying machines - so extra stops are annoying if unexpected. Credit Tesla for showing that fuss free EV travel over long distances is DOABLE. But that perception was built on 60 kwh plus cars.

4) to be clear I STILL want one :).

It's a wider issue in EV land but Model 3 is an expensive car to buy and expectations of Tesla are higher.

It's a real learning curve for everyone - experiences across EV drivers varies.

And on smaller 20 to 40 Kwh batteries the mileage loss is less because battery smaller and summer range is smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The problem seems to be turning into a crisis..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

The fools, they could be at one of several gas stations buying gas.

jusmeig wrote: »

Beats waiting on a diesel truck hauling a megapack to save the day. It's funny when you realise how daft the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

And on smaller 20 to 40 Kwh batteries the mileage loss is less because battery smaller and summer range is smaller.[/quote]

Hyundai Ioniq

Summer 250 kmrange
    Winter 170 km
    Currently 200 km

Buckle up buttercups winter is coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, am I the last person in the world to realise that the Tesla logo looks like a uterus? Cannot unsee.]

It also looks like a cat's nose or a Tesla coil tower if those give you a better mental image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Read the comments, there was a closure of an interstate during to snow which helped this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

In fairness that's half way between San Francisco and LA on the scenic road. Both have huge populations. If they'd gone I5 they'd have a lot more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm buying a performance car coming from a long line of performance cars. I'm sure it'll be fine going by Elm.
    It's cool, I like it, it's bloddy expensive, I still find myself looking up S5's and thinking I'd be better staying in a bik free world though.

Unsure if this is a serious comment or not but treating it as such.
    I've owned several "fast" cars in my time, from 2 e60 535d, to a z32 300zx TT, to a 68 plymouth with a big block v8 6BBl carb and supercharger, a rolls and everything in between.
    Nothing, and I repeat, nothing, matches the kick in the stomach you get the first time you floor it in the MS. And mine isn't the performance spec. Just a bog standard S90D.

To quote Elon: Tesla don't make slow cars.

I'm no ecomentalist... the choices for me before getting the MS included v10 and v12 petrol cars.

I know your not Ms Daisy. I've had 2 x 530's, STI, GTi's etc, S90 is nice I like it, hence when you comment on range I take it seriously. A s90 or 100 pops up at the right money I could be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know your not Ms Daisy. I've had 2 x 530's, STI, GTi's etc, S90 is nice I like it, hence when you comment on range I take it seriously. A s90 or 100 pops up at the right money I could be tempted.
    I would seriously consider switching to an S when the Ravens start hitting the used market but until then I think the 3 has the edge on efficiency.

I would seriously consider switching to an S when the Ravens start hitting the used market but until then I think the 3 has the edge on efficiency.
    The 3 will always have the edge on efficiency.
    Raven doesnt make that much difference.

I'd make MCU 1 vs MCU2, or AP2 vs 2.5 vs HW3 a better breakpoint tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

In reference to the previous 3 or 4 pages of discussion about range and NEDC v WLTP range conversions this is interesting.

5-1024x515.jpg

Link with full study here:

https://www.jato.com/jato-study-bev-average-range-decreases-under-wltp/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Has anybody waiting in November 19 seen any changes in their account pages or had any VIN matching since we hit December?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

bdogg wrote: »
    Has anybody waiting in November 19 seen any changes in their account pages or had any VIN matching since we hit December?
    Orederd 20 Nov. No change in mine

No changes. Only once did I have #VINGATE

I'm relly confused now. If there were almost 150 delivered in Nov, the reservation/order date meant/mean nothing at all.
    They def prioritized business orders, but after this it's a random mess from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Edit button disappeared a few days ago but no update in account. I checked the source code and there’s no VIN in that.

[/B][/B]
    bdogg wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I never had a vin in my source code, and a vin only appeared on my account page about a week before I got the car. And they would have had to have had a vin assigned to me in order to apply for my seai grant, which they did about 6 weeks before I got the car. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

No changes for me either. Ordered P3D 27th June 2019 (business order) and declined a SR+LR for the grant.

It was saying December 19 for performance deliveries up until last months end on the configurator. LOL. Was told by Anton at Tesla Sandyford no Performance until new year back in October.

You get the cooler wheels on your performance so not all bad.

• Advertisement

You get the cooler wheels on your performance so not all bad.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see any videos doing the rounds with the new performance wheels. Tesla mustn't be shipping any of the the new ones yet. Must still be working off old performance inventory.

Seems to be getting them going by the Tesla forums doesn't sound like there landing here until February. You'll be missing some frunk hooks as well : )

Also, am I the last person in the world to realise that the Tesla logo looks like a uterus? Cannot unsee.

I think it's a pretty cool emblem. Almost like the nail in the feet of jesus......

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

Seems to be getting them going by the Tesla forums doesn't sound like there landing here until February. You'll be missing some frunk hooks as well : )
    I thought they all had the hooks. I'm cancelling my order. :)

I think it's a pretty cool emblem. Almost like the nail in the feet of jesus......

Is the T logo not a nod to the induction motor?

https://ww.electrek.co/2017/01/24/tesla-logo-cross-section-electric-motor/

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

CFC007 wrote: »
    Edit button disappeared a few days ago but no update in account. I checked the source code and there’s no VIN in that.

[/B][/B]

Can I ask when did you order please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

17th October M3P
    hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Can I ask when did you order please?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

Performance models with grey wheels are getting delivered to the UK:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-m3-photo-thread.161944/page-12

One guy on that thread is reporting some paint issues with the wheels that he got after he took them off to swap them for winter wheels/tyres.

I actually preferred the white/silver wheels

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I actually preferred the white/silver wheels

I think dark wheels really bring out the need for a chrome delete.

I think dark wheels really bring out the need for a chrome delete.

Chrome is going anyway by the looks of it. I think those wheels look best on the grey performance. Don't really suit the black.

the more I think about it the more I like chrome delete.
    (I know it's an X not a 3 but still) if you saw the video Bjorn did on his X before selling, you see the before and after chrome delete. Usually I'm opposed to visual mods (its not Max Power anymore!) but in this instance I will make an exception

Chrome is going anyway by the looks of it.
    Source? Do you mean factory delete?

CFC007 wrote: »
    17th October M3P

I ordered 1 day after you on the 18th, a LR as an existing owner and I still have my edit button. Your doing well !

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Trip from Malahide to Limerick. SR+

Certainly had a touch of range anxiety starting the journey with varying views posted prior to the trip.

Started on a full battery (100%), warmed up the car for 10mins prior to starting off which probably isn’t enough.
    Adjusted the heat down, fans barely on, clubs and electric caddy car removed, no phone plugged in.
    The range at the start said 360km’s – Distance was 193kms from Malahide to Birdhill.
    Drove very sensibly down sticking to the limits etc etc and arrived in Birdhill with 99km’s to spare Circa 24% left.
    Charged up and went for a coffee – went up to 303kms in no time at all and off I went to Limerick for the day.
    On the way back I stopped again in Birdhill and charged to 85% circa 320km’s.
    Feeling a lot more comfortable about the range I drove the car harder, plugged in phone, turned up heat Air con etc etc and arrived back to Malahide with 90kms to spare 23% battery.

So for me it made little or no difference on driving it harder and having everything on, heated seats, spotify, phone charging etc.
    Perhaps the car never really cooled down and when I started it wasn’t fully warmed up. It’s hard not to find yourself doing the maths all the way down knowing that you’re not going to get the full range that it says.

Anyway ballpark – on a full charge on a road trip according to my calculations you should expect to do 75% of what it says.
    360km will actually do circa 270km’s. I wonder is that a good rule of thumb to expect the car to do ¾ of what it says on the range? I know everyone is different but a ballpark??

Hartunion wrote: »
    360km will actually do circa 270km’s. I wonder is that a good rule of thumb to expect the car to do ¾ of what it says on the range? I know everyone is different but a ballpark??
    Did it tell you what the predicted % at Birdhill was going to be? That's a better guide than the rated range, because the RR only takes into account temperature, not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 actionmo

Just in case anyone else gets caught out, I had a Tesla wall charger installed at my house and applied for the SEAI grant to get €600 back. Because the car was bought through the company I didn't qualify for the grant, even though I paid for the charger myself rather than through the business. May be obvious to others but I didn't think it would matter.

actionmo wrote: »
    Just in case anyone else gets caught out, I had a Tesla wall charger installed at my house and applied for the SEAI grant to get €600 back. Because the car was bought through the company I didn't qualify for the grant, even though I paid for the charger myself rather than through the business. May be obvious to others but I didn't think it would matter.

Get the invoice reissued in the name of your company and repay yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 actionmo

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Get the invoice reissued in the name of your company and repay yourself :)

Just did that, they refunded the original payment and invoiced the business instead.

• Advertisement

Certainly had a touch of range anxiety starting the journey with varying views posted prior to the trip.

Started on a full battery (100%), warmed up the car for 10mins prior to starting off which probably isn’t enough.
    Adjusted the heat down, fans barely on, clubs and electric caddy car removed, no phone plugged in.
    The range at the start said 360km’s – Distance was 193kms from Malahide to Birdhill.
    Drove very sensibly down sticking to the limits etc etc and arrived in Birdhill with 99km’s to spare Circa 24% left.
    Charged up and went for a coffee – went up to 303kms in no time at all and off I went to Limerick for the day.
    Feeling a lot more comfortable about the range I drove the car harder, plugged in phone, turned up heat Air con etc etc and arrived back to Malahide with 90kms to spare 23% battery.

So for me it made little or no difference on driving it harder and having everything on, heated seats, spotify, phone charging etc.
    Perhaps the car never really cooled down and when I started it wasn’t fully warmed up. It’s hard not to find yourself doing the maths all the way down knowing that you’re not going to get the full range that it says.

Anyway ballpark – on a full charge on a road trip according to my calculations you should expect to do 75% of what it says.

Your phone uses about 12 Watts and the heated seats about 50 Watts compared to up to 200000 Watts for the motor so you can keep things plugged without a worry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

So you probably could have made it to Limerick and back to Birdhill without charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You would likely have had a warmer battery on the return Birdhill to Malahide leg.

Id say that accounts for the no difference when driving hard on the return.

As I think I alluded to on this thread - another SR+ user noted better efficiency after the supercharger session when they did a trip in Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Yes could have made it to Limerick alright. On the way home it stated I would arrive in Malahide with 4% - that would have been too close for my liking.

To answer a previous question - Only noticed by dragging down something on the Sat nav on the way home. It told me I would arrive back in Malahide with 24% battery and I arrived with 23% so pretty good (after the charge in Birdhill). I didn't see this feature on the way to Birdhill.

Anyway the key point, in an SR+, you can drive the bejaysus out of it and still make Birdhill comfortably.

It told me I would arrive back in Malahide with 24% battery and I arrived with 23% so pretty good (after the charge in Birdhill)..
    That is fairly amazing accuracy of prediction. Did you drive at around the speed limit?

edit: oh, I see you wrote:
    Drove very sensibly down sticking to the limits etc etc ...On the way back I stopped again in Birdhil...Feeling a lot more comfortable about the range I drove the car harder, plugged in phone, turned up heat Air con etc etc

Anyway the key point, in an SR+, you can drive the bejaysus out of it and still make Birdhill comfortably.

This appears to be the most important part of your post that everyone who wanted to miss missed.

I've put about 400km on mine and am getting about 220 wh/km, is that normal? I'm barely running the heating now because of the reduced range. This is a mixture of city and motorway driving but moreso city. Any of the different range predictions the car is giving me say I'll get about 220-240km out of the 81% charge I have currently.

Also there is no auto lane change for me on autopilot, you pull the indicator down and nothing happens. Autopark doesn't appear to be working either. Have these been removed from the SR+ or is something wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

Hi everyone.
    I am a reservation holder since early 2019 and placed an order on the 8th of June- Order number in 170's (was contemplating between SR + and P- which took a week) switched the Order to LR AWD White the day it became available. I am a private buyer
    I have been patiently waiting but have heard absolutely nothing from Tesla. And when i called i was told it would be Jan/Feb. But now Feb looks more likely than Jan.
    I am seriously considering cancelling the order and waiting a few months and buying a used one when it become available in the 2nd hand market in UK or Ireland.
    Also looks like for the next year or 2 its going to be safe to continue with a diesel with the current Gov policy.

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? or do u think the used market for them will be not much cheaper in the short/long term?

I've put about 400km on mine and am getting about 220 wh/km, is that normal? I'm barely running the heating now because of the reduced range. This is a mixture of city and motorway driving but moreso city. Any of the different range predictions the car is giving me say I'll get about 220-240km out of the 81% charge I have currently.

Also there is no auto lane change for me on autopilot, you pull the indicator down and nothing happens. Autopark doesn't appear to be working either. Have these been removed from the SR+ or is something wrong here?

That consumption seems high. Do you drive at or above the speed limit the whole time? Are you hammering it off the line when you can? Heat on, heated seat on?

That consumption seems high. Do you drive at or above the speed limit the whole time? Are you hammering it off the line when you can? Heat on, heated seat on?

Mostly follow the speed limit but might do 70-80 in a 50 zone sometimes, wouldn't be speeding on motorways. Heated seat on but I'm leaving the heating mostly off now, don't hammer it off the line (as much as I'd like to).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement