Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've put about 400km on mine and am getting about 220 wh/km, is that normal? I'm barely running the heating now because of the reduced range. This is a mixture of city and motorway driving but moreso city. Any of the different range predictions the car is giving me say I'll get about 220-240km out of the 81% charge I have currently.

Also there is no auto lane change for me on autopilot, you pull the indicator down and nothing happens. Autopark doesn't appear to be working either. Have these been removed from the SR+ or is something wrong here?

Did you purchase FSD? If not you don't get those features

rg_lv wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I am a reservation holder since early 2019 and placed an order on the 8th of June- Order number in 170's (was contemplating between SR + and P- which took a week) switched the Order to LR AWD White the day it became available. I am a private buyer
    I have been patiently waiting but have heard absolutely nothing from Tesla. And when i called i was told it would be Jan/Feb. But now Feb looks more likely than Jan.
    I am seriously considering cancelling the order and waiting a few months and buying a used one when it become available in the 2nd hand market in UK or Ireland.
    Also looks like for the next year or 2 its going to be safe to continue with a diesel with the current Gov policy.

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? or do u think the used market for them will be not much cheaper in the short/long term?
    The used market won't be any cheaper for some time until the queues are fulfilled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

ELM327 wrote: »
    Did you purchase FSD? If not you don't get those features

Ah. Thought they were part of autopilot, makes sense that they're not I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rg_lv wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I am a reservation holder since early 2019 and placed an order on the 8th of June- Order number in 170's (was contemplating between SR + and P- which took a week) switched the Order to LR AWD White the day it became available. I am a private buyer
    I have been patiently waiting but have heard absolutely nothing from Tesla. And when i called i was told it would be Jan/Feb. But now Feb looks more likely than Jan.
    I am seriously considering cancelling the order and waiting a few months and buying a used one when it become available in the 2nd hand market in UK or Ireland.
    Also looks like for the next year or 2 its going to be safe to continue with a diesel with the current Gov policy.

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? or do u think the used market for them will be not much cheaper in the short/long term?

Why would you bother cancelling? You can always drop out when they offer you a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

I've put about 400km on mine and am getting about 220 wh/km, is that normal? I'm barely running the heating now because of the reduced range. This is a mixture of city and motorway driving but moreso city. Any of the different range predictions the car is giving me say I'll get about 220-240km out of the 81% charge I have currently.

Also there is no auto lane change for me on autopilot, you pull the indicator down and nothing happens. Autopark doesn't appear to be working either. Have these been removed from the SR+ or is something wrong here?

Lane change and autopark both working fine for me with SR+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ok just did a 6.8km drive at 93 wh/km, much happier with that. It's 13 degrees out now so probably helps.

I happen to be parked up right next to the Tesla destination chargers on pottery road, except they're in a private car park (signs up saying don't park here) that is entirely full of ice cars. Not really sure what the point of those is?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Anyone know what happened to the Tesla supperchager that was in Lidl, Swords?

Anyone know what happened to the Tesla supperchager that was in Lidl, Swords?
    There was never a supercharger there

Moved to breakfast service?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    There was never a supercharger there
    Yes there was, it is gone a good while now.

Tesla shows it in their locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes there was, it is gone a good while now.

Tesla shows it in their locations

Do you mean a destination charger as opposed to a supercharger? Very different things!

KCross wrote: »
    Do you mean a destination charger as opposed to a supercharger? Very different things!
    I think there was a 7kW destination charger there, is it not still?

Not sure what the difference is.

But, it used to be a designated/branded Tesla charger. Looked exactly like the supercharger to me.

It was replaced for Lidl branded charger

Not sure what the difference is.

But, it used to be a designated/branded Tesla charger. Looked exactly like the supercharger to me.

It was replaced for Lidl branded charger

A supercharger is a "man sized" thing. Gives 100kw+ charge rate.
    A destination charger is about the size of a shoe box and typically gives 7kW

How big was it?

A supercharger is a "man sized" thing. Gives 100kw+ charge rate.
    A destination charger is about the size of a shoe box and typically gives 7kW

How big was it?
    Defo "man sized"

I used to goggle at it

• Advertisement

This is a supercharger
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109973871&postcount=3799

This is the destination charger
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/where-you-park

That Lidl in Swords shows up as a destination charger, not as a supercharger. I havent been there so I dont know whats there.

It was 100% the supercharger

It has been taken out and replaced by Lidl branded one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

Lumen wrote: »
    Source? Do you mean factory delete?

Tesla?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtoOmcQV-Yw

I remember this from months ago.

If you believe the guy with the masked voice in this video is a Tesla engineer :) it'll be done around the same time they release the Model Y. I wouldn't be holding out for it but ya never know.

Jump to 1:35 in the video. It's an RHD first look posted April 1st!

I've watched too many of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

It was 100% the supercharger

It has been taken out and replaced by Lidl branded one.

It 100% was not a supercharger.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/findus/location/charger/dc33610

https://twitter.com/brian_dowling/status/978238155785691136

It 100% was not a supercharger.

I was doing my best by posting the pics. Nothing like a bit of photographic evidence.

Not sure how that could be confused with a supercharger when shown the pics. Clearly a destination charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sln852 wrote: »
    If you believe the guy with the masked voice in this video is a Tesla engineer :) it'll be done around the same time they release the Model Y. I wouldn't be holding out for it but ya never know.

Just read it on the Tesla forms the other day, nothing about hooded men, i'd bet it'll become standard as it's cheaper manufacturer than the chrome, or else there'll be a black edition like Audi, BMW etc do for extra. They'll be buying them in for the model y anyway so makes sense from a cost saving perspective.

a year ago

01/12/2018 20:14

whacker00
    Interesting as the Tesla station in the new swords Lidl was removed last week - probably replacing it with these guys units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone got any good solutions for when you get a puncture?

I see you can get this : https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s_x_3-tire-repair-kit
    1133009-00-A_0.jpg

Any good alternatives? Like a smaller rescue wheel?

Yep first puncture this morning :(

That would have been handy this morning thanks.
    Pretty cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

If you use that it will destroy your tyre. These wheels have the foam inside.
    eddhorse wrote: »
    That would have been handy this morning thanks.
    Pretty cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The lads in Sandyford told me before that if you get a puncture, just call them and they will be out to fix it.
    I challenged that as it could take hours or days, so they suggested a "bottle of sealant for a tenner".

What foam is inside, and what should people do if they get a puncture?

I'm not sure that squirty sealant with work with Tesla tyres, since the belt is covered on the inside with acoustic foam, and even if it does work you might struggle to find someone to replace the gooed up acoustic foam.

But...plugs will work, probably! I carry these on the motorbike but fortunately have never needed to use them.

How much noise deadining does the foam actually add, can see a lot of people not paying the extra when it's new shoes time.

How much noise deadining does the foam actually add, can see a lot of people not paying the extra when it's new shoes time.

Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15345724/tested-do-acoustically-insulated-tires-really-hush-road-noise/
    If the effect appears small by our sound-meter measurements, it seemed even smaller when measured with our eardrums. We struggled to discern any significant improvement

image.png

• Advertisement

So called Tesla's emergency callout line. Reroutes to UK call centre.
    Last 6 digits of VIN needed.
    Some issues spelling my address, post code would have been easier.
    So they are sending a tow truck to bring the car 2km to a local tyre company.
    Will see how long this takes.
    They asked did I want to go with the car or wait at home for them to return the car with tyre fixed.
    Also just noticed that's theres no tyre changing tools in the SR+ anyways.

Last 6 digits of VIN needed.
    You should get a tattoo of those digits, for future expediency.

So called Tesla's emergency callout line.

For a flat tire, oh Lord, is this service covered under warranty?

You should get a tattoo of those digits, for future expediency.

Hopefully I wont need it and will have other options :)

EDIT :
    Called Tesla originally at 9:16am
    Another call back from them at 10:08 confirming the tow truck would be another hour.
    Glad I'm not on the motorway behind the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

So I called Tesla today-

I wanted to know where the car I ordered on the 31st May was? I was asked for my reservation number - but am not convinced he found me on the system- however I am unsure.

I was told it would be January or February- I explained I had initially been advised that July was the estimated date, then a text stating near year end, and I asked what confidence might I have that the delivery might be January or February?

He then advised that it was likely to be the tail end of February.

He declined to say which year.

Thank goodness I love my Ioniq- l

mouthful wrote: »
    So I called Tesla today-

I wanted to know where the car I ordered on the 31st May was? I was asked for my reservation number - but am not convinced he found me on the system- however I am unsure.

I was told it would be January or February- I explained I had initially been advised that July was the estimated date, then a text stating near year end, and I asked what confidence might I have that the delivery might be January or February?

He then advised that it was likely to be the tail end of February.

He declined to say which year.

Thank goodness I love my Ioniq- l

The delivery order got altered because of the business deliveries I'd guess
    I was in the SC in Sandyford yesterday for less than 30 minutes and saw 2 handovers in that time of white model 3s. They are flat out down there I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Hopefully I wont need it and will have other options :)

EDIT :
    Called Tesla originally at 9:16am
    Another call back from them at 10:08 confirming the tow truck would be another hour.
    Glad I'm not on the motorway behind the barrier.

I had a puncture 2 weeks ago. It was around 11pm so I just called the insurance, who sent a tow to get me home on a flatbed. Next morning Tesla advised that I find somewhere that can supply a tyre and they’d supply the tow truck to bring the car (and me) to the garage.

All sorted fairly quickly but not ideal, obviously. Would have been much less hassle if Tesla supplied a spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Friend of a friend ordered in October -> Non Reservation Holder / Business order who apparently just snook in for the grant.
    Taking delivery tomorrow.....SIGH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I bought a small kit in Aldi a few months ago that you can plug into a socket in your car and inflate your tyre, which is handy as a temporary solution if the puncture isn't too severe.

• Advertisement

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I bought a small kit in Aldi a few months ago that you can plug into a socket in your car and inflate your tyre, which is handy as a temporary solution if the puncture isn't too severe.

Interesting thanks, might get you to a tyre place anyways.

For a flat tire, oh Lord, is this service covered under warranty?

Not sure yet, will let you know.

The idea of needing to call someone when you get a puncture is incredible. Sorry, but it is.
    It sounds like there is no other option though that getting it lifted on a flatbed to a local repair center.
    What do we do if we are on the way somewhere important and can't wait?
    What if all local repair centers are closed?

Has to be a DIY solution???

I had a puncture 2 weeks ago. It was around 11pm so I just called the insurance, who sent a tow to get me home on a flatbed. Next morning Tesla advised that I find somewhere that can supply a tyre and they’d supply the tow truck to bring the car (and me) to the garage.

All sorted fairly quickly but not ideal, obviously. Would have been much less hassle if Tesla supplied a spare!

Yeah not ideal. I might look into a small spare just in case.
    https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Tesla-Complete-Spare-Carrying/dp/B07FWVWQCY
    Of course the weight of that will then affect battery lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MaceFace wrote: »
    The idea of needing to call someone when you get a puncture is incredible. Sorry, but it is.
    It sounds like there is no other option though that getting it lifted on a flatbed to a local repair center.
    What do we do if we are on the way somewhere important and can't wait?
    What if all local repair centers are closed?

Same solution as every other high end car.
    Carry a space saver or a spare wheel.

Our 2 F10 5 Series don't come with any spares and no space for a space saver either.

E
    kceire wrote: »
    Same solution as every other high end car.
    Carry a space saver or a spare wheel.

Our 2 F10 5 Series don't come with any spares and no space for a space saver either.

Do you have runflats? I do on my 3 series and was planning on using a sealant.

I honestly can't believe the only option is to carry a spare in the boot or rely upon a call out service. Seriously?

EDIT: Actually, some questioning as to whether you can use a spare as you may also need a special jack?

• Advertisement

The DIY solution is tyre plugs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

E

Do you have runflats? I do on my 3 series and was planning on using a sealant.

I honestly can't believe the only option is to carry a spare in the boot or rely upon a call out service. Seriously?

EDIT: Actually, some questioning as to whether you can use a spare as you may also need a special jack?

No, I replaced the the runflats and placed a space saver in the boot.
    Have it tied down and also have the insert that holds the jack, tyre iron etc

No special jack required.

Did you not know this before you bought the 3 series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

kceire wrote: »
    No, I replaced the the runflats and placed a space saver in the boot.
    Have it tied down and also have the insert that holds the jack, tyre iron etc

No special jack required.

Did you not know this before you bought the 3 series?

He's probably talking about the Model 3, being so low to the ground you may need a low profile jack and a special jack pad adapter for changing the tyre

https://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+model+3+jack+pad+adapter&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE752IE758&sxsrf=ACYBGNSILbNUC59a6BrUocVsveXwWjKLqA:1575639667037&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU9JaVk6HmAhVQiOAKHVJqCNkQ_AUoAXoECAkQAw&biw=1964&bih=1016&dpr=0.94

rocky wrote: »

Yeah, sorry - I was talking about the M3 possibly needing a special jack and rigmarole to change a wheel.

My current 3 series has run flats which are fine, and I have an M3 LR on order, but the thought of relying upon a call out service for a puncture (especially Tesla) scares me. I've never used plugs, so will take a look.

Honestly, it's just one in a long line of little annoyances (paint, panels, wipers, winter range, no indies or service centers beside Sandyford) which is swaying me to take a serious think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The DIY solution is tyre plugs.

I find it hard to keep the rubber solution usable, frequently replacing the tube in the kit. Am I missing a trick here? Is there a solution that will remain usable for years?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement