Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

ELM327 wrote: »
    So you are not, in fact, a long standing reservation holder then?

What, at this stage, does it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

s8n wrote: »
    What, at this stage, does it matter.

It gives the rest of us hopeless hanger-oners something to talk about...

Perhaps we need a "Model 3 Owners" Thread and rename this one to
    "Random BIK questions with occasional speculation as to the content of car carriers, related to the Model 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Odauto

jusmeig wrote: »
    "Random BIK questions with occasional speculation as to the content of car carriers, related to the Model 3"

I like it, it’s snappy.

Anyway, finally took delivery of my SR+ on Saturday. It’s excellent (but not without its faults).
    If anyone who has ordered, or is thinking of ordering or is just a hopeless hanger on has any questions about the car ask away.

Oh, and I am a business customer so if you have any random BIK questions PM me and I do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Odauto wrote: »
    I like it, it’s snappy.

Anyway, finally took delivery of my SR+ on Saturday. It’s excellent (but not without its faults).
    If anyone who has ordered, or is thinking of ordering or is just a hopeless hanger on has any questions about the car ask away.

Oh, and I am a business customer so if you have any random BIK questions PM me and I do my best to answer.

Good luck with your new car-

Are you aware if there are many more business orders to fill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I like it, it’s snappy.

Congrats Odauto. A couple of questions...

What's your plan for if you get a puncture?

What faults would you say the car has that will likely be annoying after a couple of years when the newness wears off and you get more used to it?

• Advertisement

I like it, it’s snappy.

Would like to hear if it's anything more than has been reported here (which thankfully has been mostly paint defects and some small alignment issues!?)

There must be some backlog with the SEAI if business customers are collecting now and getting the grant this long after it was removed.

mouthful wrote: »
    Good luck with your new car-

Are you aware if there are many more business orders to fill?

No exactly sure how many but I know they have to deliver all SEAI business orders before 2020.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Congrats Odauto. A couple of questions...

What's your plan for if you get a puncture?

What faults would you say the car has that will likely be annoying after a couple of years when the newness wears off and you get more used to it?

Tyre plug kit, Tyre puncture foam, small car Jack and compressor. I've only ever had 2 punctures in 18 years of driving a car with a spare but Murphy laws says I will definitely get a puncture in a car without a spare!

I'd say the door handles, explaining to everyone how to get out of the car, opening the front boot via the app, auto wipers that don't work and phantom drain will remain annoying. That said my phantom drain is only 1 or 2% per day so. Visibility out the back window will take some getting used to as well.

jusmeig wrote: »
    Would like to hear if it's anything more than has been reported here (which thankfully has been mostly paint defects and some small alignment issues!?)

There must be some backlog with the SEAI if business customers are collecting now and getting the grant this long after it was removed.

Nothing too unusual. Front boot is misaligned, there are some fairly deep scuff marks on the back of one of the seats, a few paint defects and condensation in both rear lights. Anyone collecting should look out for the condensation in the lights. Its easily missed.

My understanding about the grant is that if you completed the application before the October cutoff you have to take delivery of your car before the year end to get the grant. The grant cannot be applied to cars collected in the new year even if the application was made before the October cutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

Hi All,

I'm curious about EVs in general and if anyone has experience in being a first-time buyer with buying and insuring a Tesla Model 3 - SR.

How expensive would it be to insure a driver who's over 25 on a full license starting from 1st January 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MagicTesla

I received my LR Tesla model 3 almost four weeks ago. The updates and advice on the boards forum was really excellent and I wanted to share some of my experiences as a new owner. In short, The car has blown me away (figuratively). It really is incredible to drive. But you all know this by now. I have the standard autopilot, as opposed to the FSD version, and I am really taken aback by how comfortable it has made my commute.

So a little about myself. I live in ennis and have a regular commute to Galway - a distance of approximately 140 km return. Previous to the Tesla M3, I have owned two BMW's - first a 3 series coupe, followed by a 320d saloon. I have three kids and my wife drives a seven seater Touran.

I received my M3 about three weeks ago from Sandyford. I had never test driven the M3 and based my decision on online reviews and the comments of boardies. Picking up the new car was a daunting experience. I was worried that the two boosters and single car seat would not fit across the back. To my relief, they just about did. The crew in Sandyford are really nice, but I left feeling a little anxious because it was such a big change from my trusty 2008 318D.

On the journey back we stopped overnight to visit santa at clonard court hotel- happily it had an easygo charger (Which I had not known about in advance). We popped into kildare village and then all the way back to birdhill. Stopped for about 20 minutes for a supercharge and then continued to Ennis. It turned out, I could not stay in Ennis, for work reasons, so kept going to Galway, had a meeting the following morning and then drove back to Ennis and topped up using the trickle charger. Really impressed how I could do this journey without too much range anxiety and I doubt I'll be doing such a length into the future.

On my normal everyday commute, I tend to start my journey in the morning with about 410 km of range, commuting back and forth to Galway (about 130 km). The battery power estimate is really useful I find it accurate even in the current wet and windy weather. I have an electric charging point but I'm waiting on an electrician - so I've been charging up everynight using a external 3 pin plug socket. Hard to believe this works - but it does.

The thing that surprised me most about my purchase is the standard autopilot feature. I find it incredible for the boring motorway drive that I do, plus sitting in the usual Galway traffic. I did not consider how important it would be when buying the car - but it is incredible. Such a big step up from the cruise control of the 2008 BMW 3 series.

I don't ever see myself going back to purchasing a "conventional" car again.

Some advice if you are considering purchasing - I went for the white based on cost. I had a white CX5 once before, but I do think the tesla does shows up dirt and marks more than the mazda. If I could purchase again, and if I could afford it, which I still cant, I would consider a darker colour.

In summary - amazing vehicle. I hope many more people will buy one so that we get more Superchargers etc into the future. The tech is so advanced.

Be braced if purchasing this car in begrudging Ireland for a whole range of negativity. The holier than thou types give out about the carbon footprint required to produce the battery, while driving in supersized SUVs. On the other hand, younger people give you waves and thumbs up at lights etc. I am aware that I may have electrical troubles in years to come but here is hoping I don't. The car has not caught fire. The paint is fine - no issues - and I have three kids anyways who will do there best to destroy it. I don't treat it like a drive on the weekends ferrari. Water does not spill into the boot as some earlier videos showed.

It was a brave decision to buy - if you are sitting on the fence - my advice would be to go for it. If you want my referral link, I'm happy to share by PM but I don't do this for referral reasons. It is to give genuine feedback from an owner based in Co.Clare Any questions feel free to ask, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Best post of 2020 (the one above).
    Delighted for u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That's quite a first post, MagicTesla!

Well wear and fcuk the begrudgers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

MagicTesla wrote: »
    Be braced if purchasing this car in begrudging Ireland for a whole range of negativity. The holier than thou types give out about the carbon footprint required to produce the battery, while driving in supersized SUVs."

The usual rubbish spouted by a TESLAQ short 'analyst' or fossil-funded study that gets regurgitated by a motoring journalist to Joe Public without any fact or bias checking.

Congrats on the car and thanks for the post - many kilometres of happy motoring!

Anyone else get VIN's this week? Still nothing for me.

bdogg wrote: »
    Anyone else get VIN's this week? Still nothing for me.

Nada...I did have a Model 3 parked outside my house last night charging if that is worth of sharing.

Friend of a friend was a business order and got fast tracked (He took deliver last Saturday), so much so that his home charger was not ready, and he had some issue getting a public charger going. I helped him out with some electrons, and also got another spin :D

He's delighted with his car. No issues reported since collecting.
    Grey SR+ (same as my order)...I was tempted to keep it...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Got my update to 2019.40.2 last night. Hold mode and departure time are big changes, brings the Tesla up to nearly the same spec as the leaf. :) I haven't done an autopilot run yet. It also shows traffic cones in the display, never knew how many traffic cones I pass on the way to work!

Can anyone comment on how Autopilot performs on national roads during busy periods or bumper to bumper traffic?

A 100km/h dual road may have a lot of deceleration events, rapidly down to 80 or 60 before going back up again to 100, and then cruising at 100.
    As we know, most people drive too close to the car in front because if you leave a gap, someone will invariably squeeze in.
    While I know you can reduce the gap in Autopilot, realistically, can you drive safely with the gap at say 1 or 2 on a 100km/h road, or is it even worth using Autopilot in these situations because you would make more progress driving yourself?

Also, on a road like the M50 on a Friday evening, traffic is averaging 10km/h in stop start. Do you trust Autopilot enough to close your eyes, sit back while keeping you hand on the wheel and let the car drive for a period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CAs we know, most people drive too close to the car in front because if you leave a gap, someone will invariably squeeze in.
    While I know you can reduce the gap in Autopilot, realistically, can you drive safely with the gap at say 1 or 2 on a 100km/h road, or is it even worth using Autopilot in these situations because you would make more progress driving yourself?
    What you are proposing (to reduce the gap to the car in front to stop people squeezing in) is dangerous, regardless of whether autopilot is being used.

If people want to squeeze in, let them. Then back off until you have proper safe following distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Man the model 3 is ugly and appears to be quite small in the flesh saw one in blanch last week and was taken aback. It's not as near pretty as a model s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can anyone comment on how Autopilot performs on national roads during busy periods or bumper to bumper traffic?

A 100km/h dual road may have a lot of deceleration events, rapidly down to 80 or 60 before going back up again to 100, and then cruising at 100.
    As we know, most people drive too close to the car in front because if you leave a gap, someone will invariably squeeze in.

Also, on a road like the M50 on a Friday evening, traffic is averaging 10km/h in stop start. Do you trust Autopilot enough to close your eyes, sit back while keeping you hand on the wheel and let the car drive for a period?

Yes I would trust it as much as that.
    The only time AP doesnt work is when lanes split into two without correct lane markings demarcation.
    To drive along on the motorway I would absolutely trust it, hands off eyes closed.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Man the model 3 is ugly and appears to be quite small in the flesh saw one in blanch last week and was taken aback. It's not as near pretty as a model s
    You know, I agree. Although I'm biased as an S owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What kind of wait is there time wise from placing an order until delivery?

Burn the unbeliever!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Jim McDee - When you say model 3 - Is that code for your wife??

;)

Lumen wrote: »
    What you are proposing (to reduce the gap to the car in front to stop people squeezing in) is dangerous, regardless of whether autopilot is being used.

If people want to squeeze in, let them. Then back off until you have proper safe following distance.

I was going to let this reply slide as it doesn't even try to answer the question I asked, but it leads to another Autopilot question.

Under your advice, what would happen is that if I was to set Autopilot to be (let's say) 10 car lengths (2 second rule) between me and the car in front, and I was driving in the middle lane, overtaking cars in the inside lane, and if a car pulled between me and the car 10 lengths in front, Autopilot would "brake" until the gap was back to 10 cars. I don't know how aggressive that braking would be, but if it was significant, it would cause cars behind to also brake.
    As I experience on the N7 every day, drivers changing lanes is constant which would probably mean that Autopilot would be constantly braking and accelerating and anyone driving behind me would get annoyed and likely undertake or overtake me.
    So, if Autopilot is set to maximum distance, and a car pulls directly in front at 100km/h, how does Autopilot behave?

So, while of course your point is valid, it just doesn't apply in the real world because very few people drive at a safe distance, so I'd be curious if Autopilot was to drive in this very safe fashion, how would that be perceived by other drivers...

I was going to let this reply slide as it doesn't even try to answer the question I asked, but it leads to another Autopilot question.

Under your advice, what would happen is that if I was to set Autopilot to be (let's say) 10 car lengths (2 second rule) between me and the car in front, and I was driving in the middle lane, overtaking cars in the inside lane, and if a car pulled between me and the car 10 lengths in front, Autopilot would "brake" until the gap was back to 10 cars. I don't know how aggressive that braking would be, but if it was significant, it would cause cars behind to also brake.
    As I experience on the N7 every day, drivers changing lanes is constant which would probably mean that Autopilot would be constantly braking and accelerating and anyone driving behind me would get annoyed and likely undertake or overtake me.
    So, if Autopilot is set to maximum distance, and a car pulls directly in front at 100km/h, how does Autopilot behave?

So, while of course your point is valid, it just doesn't apply in the real world because very few people drive at a safe distance, so I'd be curious if Autopilot was to drive in this very safe fashion, how would that be perceived by other drivers...
    I generally leave the gap at "2".
    This is enough that people don't cut in as described above.. or at least not without having to force themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

hi guys, this has probably been asked before, and I have trawled this thread for an answer: would it be a lot cheaper or worth my while to buy and drive a model 3 in Norway and import it to Ireland. I've included VRT, travel costs and tax rebate, but maybe i'm missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you just need to test it for yourself.
    I used it going home in heavy traffic on the N4 one evening, was set to 80, cars came into the lane and it slowed down to keep distance, then we all slowed to a halt, sure people were zipping in and out but i was doing nothing.
    It then started again when the truck in front of me moved and back up to 80.
    Its not braking dramatically but more of a gradual thing.

eddhorse wrote: »
    I think you just need to test it for yourself.
    I used it going home in heavy traffic on the N4 one evening, was set to 80, cars came into the lane and it slowed down to keep distance, then we all slowed to a halt, sure people were zipping in and out but i was doing nothing.
    It then started again when the truck in front of me moved and back up to 80.
    Its not braking dramatically but more of a gradual thing.
    The only dramatic braking I saw was phantom braking (a funny tesla issue on AP2 and above)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Have you over looked the fact that Norway cars are left hand drive?
    boars wrote: »
    hi guys, this has probably been asked before, and I have trawled this thread for an answer: would it be a lot cheaper or worth my while to buy and drive a model 3 in Norway and import it to Ireland. I've included VRT, travel costs and tax rebate, but maybe i'm missing something?

CFC007 wrote: »
    Have you over looked the fact that Norway cars are left hand drive?
    Unless it's a twizy :D

Your restraint is admirable since I essentially accused you of unsafe driving, so thanks for that. :D

I haven't managed to use AP much in the situation you describe as the S I hired didn't seem to want to go into AP, and I only had the M3 on test for an hour. In the test I did on the M50, it just gently eased back to regain the space, there wasn't any sudden braking.

As for my point not applying in the real world, that's how I drive all the time. When someone compromises my safety I gently ease off and re-establish the 2 second gap.

Are you seriously advocating tailgating as a safety strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

I've driven with AP1 for almost 2 years (supposedly out outperforms AP2 at present) and I can tell you do not trust Autopilot. It's still BETA and if you hear different it's only because someone has not used it long enough.
    You get an update and it screws AP for weeks at a time. To be fair they will fix it with another one after a period of time. These inconsistencies make it scary but it is part of the development out of Beta. Dont ever trust it even when its FSD is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

I've driven the M3 on autopilot on US 5-lane highways without any issues. It's absolutely terrifying at first because we're so conditioned to driving a certain way. Once you learn to (figuratively) let go and trust it, it's phenomenal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What kind of wait is there time wise from placing an order until delivery?

Go to Tesla.ie and input your spec.
    It gives you a delivery date.(or thereabouts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

kceire wrote: »
    Go to Tesla.ie and input your spec.
    It gives you a delivery date.(or thereabouts).

Around March now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I have used the AP (without FSD) extensively over about 3000km, both in UK and in Ireland. I like it with the car spacing setting of 7, which is the maximum possible. This leads to an approx 2-3.5 second gap, which considering wet conditions is quite appropriate—when dry, and when I trust it more, I might reduce to setting 5-6. Bear in mind, this means the actual gap length varies depending on your speed, and at slow speeds or stopped traffic it is fairly small.

Setting of 7, when travelling faster, lets the AP brake relatively early and smoothly even if cars weave in. So, if someone is trying to pull into your gap, the car notices this and allows them the manoeuvre. For the record, on a journey from gridlocked Belfast this meant only 2 cars moving into my gap over an hour’s worth of travel. In no way did it inconvenience me, while it made me feel good about the car’s ability to take over driving duties in stop-go traffic.

When it can speed up, it does it energetically enough for what I am prepared to trust from a piece of early 21st century neural network.

When it all goes potty is if lanes split without clear road markings. As other noted, Tesla will also randomly brake hard, at speed, for no reason known to me—maybe it sees a mouse? :) Traffic in oncoming lanes, on a bend, at speed at night is more likely to confuse it. Overall, I experienced 6 or so phantom brakes over the 3000 km.

I do not feel I can trust it, however, to steer at motorways speeds on sharper bends like on older motorways or some Irish dual carriageways that do not conform to current EU/TII specs. The reason is that it does not take the longer, farther view of the curve and instead it makes a myriad of small but noticeable corrections as it navigates the bend. Assuming you have the skill to drive by making a single or only a low number of steering inputs per curve, the AP way is more akin to someone still learning to drive.

It also does not make extra provisions for passing trucks or wide loads—it slavishly keeps to the middle of the lane, while a human driver would adjust the gap accordingly. I prefer to use it for cruising, in lane 1 of a motorway, or in any lane when slow moving.

At slow, or stop-go traffic, however, AP is very good and delays tiredness, esp. at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Which s/w version? Didn't 36.x.x add lane position adjustment for passing wider vehicles?

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    I've driven with AP1 for almost 2 years (supposedly out outperforms AP2 at present) and I can tell you do not trust Autopilot. It's still BETA and if you hear different it's only because someone has not used it long enough.
    You get an update and it screws AP for weeks at a time. To be fair they will fix it with another one after a period of time. These inconsistencies make it scary but it is part of the development out of Beta. Dont ever trust it even when its FSD is my advice

It outperforms not only AP2 but AP3 which I had in a recent loaner.

I drive 60k a year so in the month I have my car I have done 5k km + 750km in a AP3 loaner.
    AP1 is the better system hands down right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

EVGuy wrote: »
    Which s/w version? Didn't 36.x.x add lane position adjustment for passing wider vehicles?

36.2.4. There was nothing in the release notes about lane position adjustment. Adjacent lane speed adjustment and lane change improvement were included, but nothing that I have seen changes the “stick to the centre of the lane” behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

ELM327 wrote: »
    It outperforms not only AP2 but AP3 which I had in a recent loaner.

I drive 60k a year so in the month I have my car I have done 5k km + 750km in a AP3 loaner.
    AP1 is the better system hands down right now.

You probably know AP1 wasn't developed by Tesla and that's why their FSD scares the hell out of me when they haven't yet really improved upon AP1 other than exit ramps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

And then this happened

Cameras skip 1 second right at the moment of impact.

I live less than 7km away from a 50kw charger, what's the best way to warm up the battery before charging? Within city speed limits...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ahh no way, that would drive me nuts.

rocky wrote: »
    And then this happened

Cameras skip 1 second right at the moment of impact.

Oh no! Much damage? I see it was a 191D BMW wot did it. I bet they felt stupid.

Only a few very small scratches, if it wasn't such a new car I wouldn't bother fixing them.

Seemed the driver was not used to the car, you can see in the video he moved forward a little bit when trying to reverse ...

Talking about ham fisted driving in the ultimate driving machine. Hope you'll get it sorted soon. You have all the evidence needed anyway thanks to the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Did he skid or just not stop in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

I'm sure there are a few sensors behind that bumper. It might be worth checking just in case. The SC may be able to advise/check the logs to see if anything has been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

this 1s glitch at the moment of impact is most likely when "black box" data gathering kicked in:
    https://edr.tesla.com/help

Definitely get it checked by SC as there are known examples of tesla refusing warranty claims based on the "crash data" captured by the car.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement