Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That sucks, defo looks like he cant drive his car at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rocky wrote: »
    Only a few very small scratches, if it wasn't such a new car I wouldn't bother fixing them.

Seemed the driver was not used to the car, you can see in the video he moved forward a little bit when trying to reverse ...

Also very slow at getting out of the car, and looks like he may have been looking dune at his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ted1 wrote: »
    Also very slow at getting out of the car, and looks like he may have been looking dune at his phone.

...Googling "do tesla model 3s have rear dashcams"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And then this happened

Cameras skip 1 second right at the moment of impact.

Feck!
    Was there much damage?
    Were the other drivers ok about it? They seemed to take an eternity to get out of the car! Maybe sussing you out to see if you felt it!

Also, might be worth reporting to Tesla as they may not be aware of the jump between files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

kceire wrote: »
    Feck!
    Was there much damage?
    Were the other drivers ok about it? They seemed to take an eternity to get out of the car! Maybe sussing you out to see if you felt it!

Also, might be worth reporting to Tesla as they may not be aware of the jump between files.
    ted1 wrote: »

He first said "I didn't think I bumped into you"

ACE autobody here in Galway (approved Tesla) estimated 1050 euro repair costs, trying to work out replacement car costs now...

These things happen, what can you do, it's just a piece of (pretty and fast ) metal :cool:

The driver and passenger wanted to find out more about my car, I said "I've 500 bhp but couldn't get away from you " ;)

He first said "I didn't think I bumped into you"

ACE autobody here in Galway (approved Tesla) estimated 1050 euro repair costs, trying to work out replacement car costs now...

These things happen, what can you do, it's just a piece of (pretty and fast ) metal :cool:

The driver and passenger wanted to find out more about my car, I said "I've 500 bhp but couldn't get away from you " ;)

Ace should be able to arrange all of that for you. Just get them to include the cost in their quote.

If going through the insurance then its a provisional price anyway, and on opening up of the works, if there's more damage, ACE deal directly with the Insurance company. Also, if there's a delay etc, the loan car stays with you and the costs stay with ACE, who in turn bill the insurance.

A lot handier than you arranging it all, as you have to book the days, then arrange for a extending it etc

Ha!
    Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the damage properly on the pictures nor assess if I am responsible for it.

We discussed the incident with my colleagues afterwards and were pretty sure that the cars had not touched.

He agrees to pay for the damage though...

I replied:

"The car’s dashcameras and the pictures I took of the cars disagree, and you also went forward into my bumper another 2-3cm when trying to reverse, almost running over your passenger. I suggest familiarizing yourself with the car’s controls before becoming an ad-hoc insurance damage estimator.
    "

I replied:

"The car’s dashcameras and the pictures I took of the cars disagree, and you also went forward into my bumper another 2-3cm when trying to reverse, almost running over your passenger. I suggest familiarizing yourself with the car’s controls before becoming an ad-hoc insurance damage estimator.
    "

:D

Pr1ck trying to get out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Time to call a solicitor methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Absolutely no need for a solicitor or to ever speak to the other party.
    Go to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

Last post on this in the thread, he seems to think he's doing me a favour. Driver wasn't local, maybe a familiarity with insurance claims in Ireland in case of rear ending would be helpful right about now.

This whole saga is giving me a pain in the neck... :eek:

just kidding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't see him hit the car in the video...

Do the repair guys know it's multi layer finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

A warning to anyone travelling between Dublin and Galway, the ESB CCS chargers at Kilbeggan and in Athlone are not working and neither are the Ionitys. I was supposed to be in Galway today from Dublin but had to charge for over an hour at a standard ESB and now I'm using a standard in Kilbeggan after trying Ionity again. I've been on the phone to both multiple times and neither were able to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the_pod wrote: »
    A warning to anyone travelling between Dublin and Galway, the ESB CCS chargers at Kilbeggan and in Athlone are not working and neither are the Ionitys. I was supposed to be in Galway today from Dublin but had to charge for over an hour at a standard ESB and now I'm using a standard in Kilbeggan after trying Ionity again. I've been on the phone to both multiple times and neither were able to help
    Very unusual for 2 sites and for Ionity to be out of order all together
    Are you experienced in using these chargers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the_pod wrote: »

There’s a FCP in Athlone town you could use? Traffic in town is horrendous busy this evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I have used all of them before, it wasn't me or the car. Definitely the chargers, confirmed by the phone calls and couldn’t be fixed remotely. The Circle K CCS beside the Ionitys is permanently out of order but Nissan cable works.
    Home now with 4% SOC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

So with the company orders now complete, and a clear extended softer Brexit plan in place- might we now aspire to see our edit design buttons disappear for the last time in January?

Ha!

He agrees to pay for the damage though...

Suggest you retain the old bumper - could be sold on eBay or retained for a day when the error might be yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

mouthful wrote: »
    So with the company orders now complete, and a clear extended softer Brexit plan in place- might we now aspire to see our edit design buttons disappear for the last time in January?

I hope so buddy! One plus side from the delay is I've had an extra 6 months to save...at this rate I might push the boat out and go LR...decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

jusmeig wrote: »
    I hope so buddy! One plus side from the delay is I've had an extra 6 months to save...at this rate I might push the boat out and go LR...decisions.

Do it. I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Even if it means having to save a little more, go for LR.

SR+ battery is 54 kWh (according to specs here—if I am wrong, please correct me). LR is 75 kWh (as per spec and seems so in my use). Considering that you never want to arrive empty, your realistic, anxiety-free long drive range is about 90% of the capacity. That makes SR+ just under 48.6 kWh and LR 67.5 kWh. In other words, LR has 40% more range than SR+ in real use.

From my own use of the LR over the last few weeks any realistic, *long* journey (60% motorway + 40% R/L roads, full speed, passenger and luggage) below 320-370 km requires little thought or planning in current (cool/wet) conditions—worst average of 210 Wh/km. Anything above that you should check your route, chargers etc (abetterrouteplanner.com is great).

Assuming charging available at the destination, 400 km is the max that I have achieved in our LR AWD both in Ireland and UK in current weather driving as above.

If I went for SR+ those numbers would scale down to 230-260 km without having to plan, and perhaps 280 km running till empty—bear in mind, this is only a calculation, but it seems to mirror comments made by others who bought SR+, like user RWC.

Finally, with the larger battery you can afford to charge it less for daily use. We charge to 60% every night unless planning a bigger trip. Based on the current consensus this should mean a longer and simpler battery life.

Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rafal wrote: »
    with the larger battery you can afford to charge it less for daily use. We charge to 60% every night unless planning a bigger trip. Based on the current consensus this should mean a longer and simpler battery life.

I wish people stopped posting this. It will make no material difference to the battery life by only partially charging the car every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

minor scuff on one of my aero wheels earlier today (just barely brushed the kerb). Just enough to nick some of the paint off the rim. Any one suggest good alloy repair in Dublin which wont cost an arm and a leg ?

s8n wrote: »
    minor scuff on one of my aero wheels earlier today (just barely brushed the kerb). Just enough to nick some of the paint off the rim. Any one suggest good alloy repair in Dublin which wont cost an arm and a leg ?

Wheelwizards in Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

kceire wrote: »
    Wheelwizards in Finglas.

Thanks, you used them before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

unkel wrote: »
    I wish people stopped posting this. It will make no material difference to the battery life by only partially charging the car every day.

Not like any actual owners who have ruined battery packs would disagree with you... /s

I am going by Tesla’s own, strong recommendation to definitely not charge fully every day. Their recommendation, as well as the app, and the in-car display, they all suggests a charge up to 50-90% on a daily basis, while charging to 100% is only recommended by them prior to longer trips.

This is corroborated by the tests discussed by Bjorn Nyland, aka Tesla Bjorn, who suggests a charge of 60%.

May I ask you what is your source and is it Tesla-specific? In your opinion: why should I be charging to 100% every night if I definitely do not need that full capacity every day and the manufacturer recommends that I do not charge to 100%? Apologies if I am missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

As an aside, if you charge to 100% you have no regen until you use up a bit of juice to make space.

• Advertisement

EVGuy wrote: »
    As an aside, if you charge to 100% you have no regen until you use up a bit of juice to make space.

Are you not using juice the second you do something like drive or turn on the heating.
    I wouldn't worry about charging to 100%, let Elon and the guy who owns it in 5yrs time worry about that.

Except for Tesla, which gives you access to nearly true 100%, conversely to all other BEVs

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Hi - Acceleration mode on SR+ has chill and normal settings. It's defaulting to chill and greyed out so I can't select normal. Any ideas?

Hartunion wrote: »
    Hi - Acceleration mode on SR+ has chill and normal settings. It's defaulting to chill and greyed out so I can't select normal. Any ideas?

It's cold outside, battery needs to warm up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Not that I have a clue about these things but when I rented a Model S it had valet mode enabled which seriously gimped performance and I couldn't turn it off without a pin or the app.

Edit: or what drunkmonkey said :)

EVGuy wrote: »

This is an interesting point and discussed in a few articles out there, even mentioned by Elon. Apparently the lack of regen when completely full means lowered efficiency, slightly reducing the range. If I understand that correctly, there is a point when the range growth stops as charge nears 100% but I have not seen any numbers to back it up yet. I do not know how significant it could be, although the lack of regen braking is profound.

On another note, several widely published articles that detail why a Tesla should not be charged to 100% usually highlight that the larger and not software-limited batteries give you more access to the top safety buffer than other manufacturers offer, like ELM327 pointed out. The other point often made is that the issue is less with charging to 100% and more with keeping the battery at that level for a prolonged time.

Bjorn Nyland makes a few good points about the speed of charging vs initial charge level, also suggesting levels that optimise his travel+charge times, specifically 60% being ideal in his use case.

I am not a battery expert. I base my understanding mainly on the stuff I read online, like: Jeff Dahn, leader of Tesla’s research partnership on why not charge to 100%, another Electrek battery article, often quoted Elon’s explanations why not charge to 100% every day, and interesting articles from Battery University (what a name...)

I expect Tesla must have a good reason for the in-app and in-car UI suggestion to charge to no more than 50%–90% unless planning a trip that needs more. I am aware of much research suggesting batteries last longer than expected, and I know that Nissan changed their recommendation in 2016—which is why I always charged the Leaf to 100% losing only 9% of SoH over 4 years of ownership.

Above all, I have no qualms about charging Model 3 LR to 100% when travelling further. I have done it several times already and I will do again. However, for my day-to-day needs I am more than happy charging to 60%—your mileage may vary. :)

Always happy to learn more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Rafal wrote: »
    This is an interesting point and discussed in a few articles out there, even mentioned by Elon. Apparently the lack of regen when completely full means lowered efficiency, slightly reducing the range. If I understand that correctly, there is a point when the range growth stops as charge nears 100% but I have not seen any numbers to back it up yet. I do not know how significant it could be, although the lack of regen braking is profound.

It would have very little effect on efficiency over the full cycle of the battery. For those first few miles when you have no regen it means all your braking is done via your friction brakes and so lost energy, but it wont take long for the regen to re-enable and it may even be the case that you dont use the brakes for those first few miles in which case it wouldnt have affected your overall efficiency at all.

Whatever drop in efficiency is there its small enough not to worry about it, but I would be taking the manufacturers recommendations seriously.

s8n wrote: »
    Thanks, you used them before ?

Yes. A few times now. Along with many main dealers in the area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

my Edit Design link disappeared over the weekend. Does searching the source for EncodedVIN still work? I don't see anything with this tag.

• Advertisement

It's cold outside, battery needs to warm up.

Turns out it shouldn't happen so I need to bring it in for them to have a look at.

Turns out it shouldn't happen so I need to bring it in for them to have a look at.

Have you the speed limiter on that puts it in chill.

Have you the speed limiter on that puts it in chill.

I'll try that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

dec2000 wrote: »
    my Edit Design link disappeared over the weekend. Does searching the source for EncodedVIN still work? I don't see anything with this tag.

Some people have reported that this doesn't always work. I think someone else lost their edit button recently and phoned Sandyford who confirmed a car had been allocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

My edit button was gone for a week so I mailed the lads in Dublin who confirmed I had been allocated a VIN. I still don’t see the VIN in the source code. My car is in Belgium I was told so I guess it will ready for sometime in January.
    dec2000 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Great - how long are you waiting ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Also - what is the actual OMSP (on the paperwork) of the base model 3 ? (no frills.) .. I know I could ring the shop ..

Partridge9 wrote: »
    Also - what is the actual OMSP (on the paperwork) of the base model 3 ? (no frills.) .. I know I could ring the shop ..

Have you access to the internet, I think they have one of those website thingamajigs...

Have you access to the internet, I think they have one of those website thingamajigs...
    Smartarse, the base model is not advertised online. And afaik is not offered in RHD

ELM327 wrote: »
    Smartarse, the base model is not advertised online. And afaik is not offered in RHD

So he's looking for the price of a car they don't sell here or anywhere else on the planet, should have just said so, that ones 200 magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

Still cant believe they have not reached out to me about my order, i know they have enough demand but why lose sales when they could just get in contact and advise me on delivery in Jan/feb?

Like if i wasn't such a fanboy and obsessed with getting this car i would definitely be arranging another car in Jan.

Has anyone got any calls/emails recently about 2020 orders?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement