Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There in stock in the UK you can just walk in and buy one. Doubt you'll have any issues getting one in February pre order or not. I'd be demanding a 2020 model from January on not old stock as it looks like there going to have rust problems down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

There in stock in the UK you can just walk in and buy one. Doubt you'll have any issues getting one in February pre order or not. I'd be demanding a 2020 model from January on not old stock as it looks like there going to have rust problems down the road.

How would we know if 2020 model?

rduggy wrote: »
    How would we know if 2020 model?

The VIN number. If VIN is a "K", it's a 2019. If it's a "L", it's a 2020. I think, big thing for me would be the rust and sound deadning improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

The VIN number. If VIN is a "K", it's a 2019. If it's a "L", it's a 2020. I think, big thing for me would be the rust and sound deadning improvements.

Good to know - do we actually have any power really though to get a 2020 model - my gut would tell me that they will literally just dump me at bottom of waiting list again

Good to know - do we actually have any power really though to get a 2020 model - my gut would tell me that they will literally just dump me at bottom of waiting list again

There won't be any waiting list in a few weeks. This is where it gets interesting as they'll need to start acting like a car company and come out with attractive offers, only so long they can get away with acting like the apple of the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

I doubt they have any of the 2019 versions left to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Still cant believe they have not reached out to me about my order, i know they have enough demand but why lose sales when they could just get in contact and advise me on delivery in Jan/feb?

Like if i wasn't such a fanboy and obsessed with getting this car i would definitely be arranging another car in Jan.

Has anyone got any calls/emails recently about 2020 orders?

Me neither- I ordered on May 31st - although changed my order to white when the chance came to have that at no additional cost-

Wonder did that move me to the back of the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Not true according to the website and a friend over there who tried to get an early Christmas present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There won't be any waiting list in a few weeks. This is where it gets interesting as they'll need to start acting like a car company and come out with attractive offers, only so long they can get away with acting like the apple of the motor industry.

They’ll may slow down production and ramp up the Model Y

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

This was posted on the Tesla owners group on FB for those who may be interested....

FYI
    "not yet received the load manifest for vehicles destined to arrive in January just yet, so no new VINs have been matched with customers for the new year for the Irish market. I would expect the VIN matching to begin within the next week or two, at which point we'll be able to provide more indicative delivery dates for 2020 deliveries. In any case, I trust that an update will be shared shortly for all 2020 deliveries."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Are you not using juice the second you do something like drive or turn on the heating.
    I wouldn't worry about charging to 100%, let Elon and the guy who owns it in 5yrs time worry about that.

Regen can put something like 60kW or more out IIRC, so you probably need at least 5% + available for full regen.

Think about accelerating hard, in even the SR, the motor is putting out 300+kW. When you then lift off your foot, the motor then wants to put it back in the battery, the more it can do that, the faster you slow down. So if you get used to 1 pedal driving and then expect it to work but you have a full battery, you had better be ready to hit the brake.

Take a look at how many dots there are on the left of the screen (power bar), I think the more dots, the more the regen is limited, likwise dots on the right mean power is reduced (e.g. low or cold battery).

Compare the dots with 100% SoC and e.g. 90%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I'd be demanding a 2020 model from January on not old stock as it looks like there going to have rust problems down the road.

What rust problems are you aware of? What should I be looking out for on ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

INSURANCE HELP !!

I made an error on insuring myself instead of through the company and AXA have changed the quote from €700 to over €4k. I know they could do better 51 years of age no claims, SR+ model and they just won't budge. Do I have an alternative can anyone suggest? Do AXA have the thing wrapped up?
    Need this like a hole in the head before Christmas.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can you not just cancel the policy and get a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Allianz, 123?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can you not just cancel the policy and get a refund?

Yes but who else insures tesla ? Anyone else in Ireland? Have a feeling I've no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hartunion wrote: »
    Yes but who else insures tesla ? Anyone else in Ireland? Have a feeling I've no choice.
    There's a list in the Tesla Owners Ireland group on facebook. Don't pay 4k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

EVGuy wrote: »
    Regen can put something like 60kW or more out IIRC, so you probably need at least 5% + available for full regen.

Think about accelerating hard, in even the SR, the motor is putting out 300+kW. When you then lift off your foot, the motor then wants to put it back in the battery, the more it can do that, the faster you slow down. So if you get used to 1 pedal driving and then expect it to work but you have a full battery, you had better be ready to hit the brake.

Take a look at how many dots there are on the left of the screen (power bar), I think the more dots, the more the regen is limited, likwise dots on the right mean power is reduced (e.g. low or cold battery).

Compare the dots with 100% SoC and e.g. 90%.
    I don't get this. The regen system is far from 100% efficient so to get up to a speed from which you will be braking, you will have used up more battery than will be restored from regen? Unless you live at the top of a big hill, there doesn't seem to be any merit to this argument?

INSURANCE HELP !!

I made an error on insuring myself instead of through the company and AXA have changed the quote from €700 to over €4k. I know they could do better 51 years of age no claims, SR+ model and they just won't budge. Do I have an alternative can anyone suggest? Do AXA have the thing wrapped up?

Call these guys https://www.evinsurance.ie/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9EmhnpMu_bMG1pJExqeLfkXrnAD1pBvzTQQA_TlzReSP1DIXmEPYJAaAs_yEALw_wcB

Tell them what you want to do. Or drop into an axa office, if your on the phone or online you'll only get the official party line answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Have you access to the internet, I think they have one of those website thingamajigs...

I appreciate the humour (no offence taken) but the actual price isnt listed - you see a price that you will pay and they estimate savings etc etc
    The price on the docket is what i'm looking for - before discounts real, perceived or otherwise

I should have been clearer - I'm looking for the Government OMSP of the vehicle - thats for BIK figures - not estimates or guidelines... I know you roughly add 10k.

I'll ring the shop and find out - looking to order this week

INSURANCE HELP !!

I spoke to Alliance _ I currently have a personal policy - they informed me - that as long as I own 100% of my company, I can change the policy to company policy - they will give me insurance at circa 700.
    I forgot to ask about the better half as a named driver... better ring them again before I order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Alkers wrote: »
    I don't get this. The regen system is far from 100% efficient so to get up to a speed from which you will be braking, you will have used up more battery than will be restored from regen? Unless you live at the top of a big hill, there doesn't seem to be any merit to this argument?

It has to do with the charging curve of the battery.

As you charge the battery the rate it charges at slows down considerably towards the end... single digit kW's.

If you then pull out of your gate at 100% charged and drive for a few miles you have spare capacity in the battery to push some regen back in but not at the rate of 100kW+ which regen will want to do, so it has to revert to the friction brakes which will feel like a loss of braking to the driver.

My guess is that you were thinking that if you have a 75kWh battery and once you use 1kWh of that you have spare capacity to push full regen back into it.... you cant. The battery cant take those high charge rates at high state of charge without doing damage to the battery.

When you drive a few more miles the system will "open up" the battery to accept full regen again.

Partridge9 wrote: »
    I appreciate the humour (no offence taken) but the actual price isnt listed - you see a price that you will pay and they estimate savings etc etc
    The price on the docket is what i'm looking for - before discounts real, perceived or otherwise

I should have been clearer - I'm looking for the Government OMSP of the vehicle - thats for BIK figures - not estimates or guidelines... I know you roughly add 10k.

I'll ring the shop and find out - looking to order this week

When you get to the bit where it says Enter Account Details hit the business button then over at the design part select cash as price, you'll be then landed with some more codoligy figures, the one to look at is the cash purchase price, for the base model you'll see a figure of
    Purchase Price€ 52,840
    That's still not correct you need to add 5k (the vrt rebate that tesla have deducted from the price)
    So the base model is 57,840k before any rebates or incentives, If your a business you get to take 5k off that figure and if your a consumer you take 10k off it.

Either way it's 57840k starting price. For working out BIK you use the 57840k figure, less 980 delivery charge and 50k Bik temporary EV exemption.

The website is as clear as mud, I know you were only asking a simple question.

The range isn't the range either, it's based on american highway figures and californian weather, for a day like today, at least half the expected range if your driving into the wind and rain. On the base model, you'd be chancing it going more than 110 miles between charging stops.

When you get to the bit where it says Enter Account Details hit the business button then over at the design part select cash as price, you'll be then landed with some more codoligy figures, the one to look at is the cash purchase price, for the base model you'll see a figure of
    Purchase Price€ 52,840
    That's still not correct you need to add 5k (the vrt rebate that tesla have deducted from the price)
    So the base model is 57,840k before any rebates or incentives, If your a business you get to take 5k off that figure and if your a consumer you take 10k off it.

Either way it's 57840k starting price. For working out BIK you use the 57840k figure, less 980 delivery charge and 50k Bik temporary EV exemption.

The range isn't the range either, it's based on american highway figures and californian weather, for a day like today, at least half the expected range if your driving into the wind and rain. On the base model, you'd be chancing it going more than 110 miles between charging stops.

Can this nonsense be stopped please?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Can this nonsense be stopped please?

It's not nonsene, didn't someone see a 58% drop in range recently here. What's the true figure then as it's windy as hell outside, the rain is lashing and it's barely above freezing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

It's not nonsene, didn't someone see a 58% drop in range recently here. What's the true figure then as it's windy as hell outside, the rain is lashing and it's barely above freezing.

Who had a 58% drop in range?
    You don't own an EV right -> and you are not an EV driver, but are buying a Model 3...but complain bitterly about it...on this forum....all day long.

It absolutely is nonsense.
    Yesterday I lost 10% between rated and actual range over 200km on the motorway. I was driving 125km/h real speed.

This nonsense you continue to splurge is akin to the nonsense spouted by the healy-raes as regards EVs.

It absolutely is nonsense.
    Yesterday I lost 10% between rated and actual range over 200km on the motorway. I was driving 125km/h real speed.

You don't drive a base model 3, if your saying that todays weather will only have maybe a 10% effect I don't believe you. That's just misleading people.

Rather then get the hump why not just give an accurate answer as i'm not far off the mark when you work it out.

The poster couldn't even figure out the price it's that confusing, yet the range is to be taken as gospel, this is the only thread I can see in the world that makes a little thing of winter range in EV's.

You don't drive a base model 3, if your saying that todays weather will only have maybe a 10% effect I don't believe you. That's just misleading people.

Don't buy it, move on...find a different tree house to hang out in.
    It's all good.

jusmeig wrote: »
    It's all good.

That's just a stupid response, op couldn't even figure out the price how are they to know the quoted range is a bare faced lie at this time of year. Tesla will tell the truth when you talk to them, you don't seems to be able to handle known facts if you have to resort to childish behavior.

Wind, Rain, Cold all effect EV range to a quite a large degree. You need to get your head around that and stop defending corporations that present information incorrectly to the general public when making a purchasing decision, especially most peoples biggest one besides a house.

• Advertisement

Rather then get the hump why not just give an accurate answer as i'm not far off the mark when you work it out.

The poster couldn't even figure out the price it's that confusing, yet the range is to be taken as gospel, this is the only thread I can see in the world that makes a little thing of winter range in EV's.
    What EV do you drive?
    I drove the following:
    Leaf 24 - lost approx 10% between winter and summer.
    Ioniq - lost more, approx 20-25% and I drive flat out
    Tesla - I get 300-325km of flat out motorway driving and the current rated range of my car is 404km. Not quite 10% but not far off

Empirical evidence from an actual EV owner, instead of a typical internet know it all - like the barstool experts of the past, an opinion of everything and evidence and experience of nothing.

It's all good.
    +1
    Mr drunk healy rae is lost methinks

Leaf 24 - lost approx 10% between winter and summer.
    Ioniq - lost more, approx 20-25% and I drive flat out
    Tesla - I get 300-325km of flat out motorway driving and the current rated range of my car is 404km. Not quite 10% but not far off

Can we go back to why you had a pop and called bull on what I said when I said todays weather conditions.

There's no point trying to argue with figures that aren't relative to what you took issue with.

Are you saying you'll get 75% range in a Tesla model 3 today? I'm not sure what your saying to be honest you still haven't disputed my first statement with any figures.

Can we go back to why you had a pop and called bull on what I said when I said todays weather conditions.

There's no point trying to argue with figures that aren't relative to what you took issue with.

Are you saying you'll get 75% range in a Tesla model 3 today? I'm not sure what your saying to be honest you still haven't disputed my first statement with any figures.

You are 100% right. On this very day today, in the Model 3 SR+, you will get no more than 100km range MAX, while driving due west...at 25 knots.
    Here are you're figures...if you must.

But is this a laden or an unladen Model 3?

#1 I didnt have a "pop", I told you your post was nonsense. Which it is. You never mentioned 75%, you said " a 58% drop in range"

Rated range in a model 3 LR , the only one I drove, was 500km. I drove in windy rainy days and was getting 90-95% of rated range. Similar to the S loaner I had, it was rated at 588km on a 100% charge and I was having no issues getting over 525km.

My own S with degradation is at 400km rated range at 100% charge and as I say, I can drive 300km-325km on the motorway at 120 with the heating on at 24 and not think about it.

This nonsense that you often and repeatedly post that you see a 50% drop in winter is just that, nonsense, non-supported views from someone who doesnt own an EV.

You are 100% right. On this very day today, in the Model 3 SR+, you will get no more than 100km range MAX, while driving due west...at 25 knots.

Drunkmonkey:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Only if it’s laden with a coconut!

Don't give up the day job, you'll need the money for a tow truck. :D

I said miles, that's nearly 200km, it was a fair figure, your all mad. I'm still laughing at the lad flat out in a leaf.

Don't give up the day job, you'll need the money for a tow truck. :D

They can tow mine and yours right? We might get a deal if thats the case.
    You are not buying a Model 3 are you...are....you......a Tesla Short by any chance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nonsense based on my experience with driving EV's since 2012.

• Advertisement

You are not buying a Model 3 are you...

Nope got my deposit back into my account yesterday, I read enough on the Tesla forms and from posters on the EV forums here to make the decision it's not right for me, it's based on a good few factors but the thoughts of having to constantly plug the thing in got to me in the end after clocking up 4000k in a very short space of time. I'd rather just pay the money for petrol and have an easy life.

Still one of the brave ones holding my deposit on an ID3 so i'm not entirely out but that won't be my main car.

Still one of the brave ones holding my deposit on an ID3 so i'm not entirely out but that won't be my main car.

That's disappointing, having driven an EV for 2 years, the thoughts of going back would horrify me. Hope the ID3 works out for you, VW, unlike Tesla are not known for telling lies...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Nope got my deposit back into my account yesterday, I read enough on the Tesla forms and from posters on the EV forums here to make the decision it's not right for me, it's based on a good few factors but the thoughts of having to constantly plug the thing in got to me in the end after clocking up 4000k in a very short space of time. I'd rather just pay the money for petrol and have an easy life.

why the constant posting in here so? Maybe TRy pOst eLswhere paL?

Purchase Price€ 52,840

Thanks a mil for a most informative reply - now everything makes sense

That's disappointing, having driven an EV for 2 years, the thoughts of going back would horrify me. Hope the ID3 works out for you, VW, unlike Tesla are not known for telling lies...

None of them can lie straight in bed. The ID might work we'll see.

Partridge9 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for a most informative reply - now everything makes sense

Drunk the mob is forming, I'll hide you in my attic...say u love EVs

Ain't no mob like a Tesla mob.

kev22185 wrote: »
    why the constant posting in here so? Maybe TRy pOst eLswhere paL?

88 posts in 14yrs and you crawl out from under a rock to say that. Back under the stairs with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EV2020

Hope that was sarcasm. Dieselgate anyone?

Whilst 'expensive' in terms of up front cost (not total cost), the technology leadership that Tesla has right now means other EVs are hard to recommend. For example the ID3 has poor range and slow slow 1st gen charging.

Drunk the mob is forming, I'll hide you in my attic...say u love EVs

Ain't no mob like a Tesla mob.

I think he was being honest, he got the truth, not like all the fud that came after.

I love forklifts if they count:)

• Advertisement

I hear ya - I have been reading that the range difference on the 'Range Plus' and the 'Long Range' isn't as significant as Tesla say -
    You say 110 miles (roughly) - for the range plus
    whats the number on the Long range .. do you think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement