Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

EV2020 wrote: »
    Hope that was sarcasm. Dieselgate anyone?

Whilst 'expensive' in terms of up front cost (not total cost), the technology leadership that Tesla has right now means other EVs are hard to recommend. For example the ID3 has poor range and slow slow 1st gen charging.

Oh here we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

EV2020 wrote: »
    Hope that was sarcasm. Dieselgate anyone?

100% they are monkey gassing lying swine's, who are not getting a red dime off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kicha

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's a list in the Tesla Owners Ireland group on facebook. Don't pay 4k

Ev insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Hey tis almost the season to be nice to each other FFS.

Graph Re speed and temperature impact upon range- https://www.google.ie/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2018/07/15/tesla-range-plotted-relative-to-speed-temperature-graphs/amp/

Pass the turkey please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Saw a white Model 3 SR+ a few times during the week (I think) on the Farranlea road in Cork City. Have to say, the white is growing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

https://electrek.co/2019/12/18/tesla-acceleration-boost-upgrade-leaks-model-3/

Seems like it’s for LR AWD versions to bring them up to performance without track mode.

Seems like it’s for for LR AWD versions to bring them up to performance without track mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

CFC007 wrote: »

Seems like it’s for for LR AWD versions to bring them up to performance without track mode.

So this could be a charge to upgrade to a sleeper you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It definitely adds value even if you don't get it, just by having the potential there. It'll be a big seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    So this could be a charge to upgrade to a sleeper you think?

I read the whole thread under that article and it seems like the upgrade is advertised to knock off half a second to 60mph, probably by boosting power to the front motor. It doesn't close the gap to the M3P.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Alkers wrote: »
    I don't get this. The regen system is far from 100% efficient

As I said, probably the battery puts out 300+kw when accelerating and takes in 60+ kW for regen.

As I also said, look at the power bar and the dots. Maybe check out some videos showing that.

Seems like it’s for LR AWD versions to bring them up to performance without track mode.

Apparently, as Lumen says, it's not "Performance" level, it brings the 0-60MPH from 4.6s down to 3.9s (actually less than a second improvement).

Not the 3.2 or less of the Perfromance -/+ variants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nope
    Brings the 0-60 time down half a second to 3.9s

I think it's nice to have the option. The recently increased gap in Irish pricing between AWD and P makes space for it.

Much more useful than bigger brakes and, LOL, a spoiler.

I guess one remaining question is how much people value the ability to disable TC. What price doughnuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Saw one of these in Dundrum SC, looked the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

What's the story with all these in inventory in UK? Can we just call them up and go and buy one?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/inventory/new/m3?arrangeby=plh&zip=&range=0

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

bdogg wrote: »
    What's the story with all these in inventory in UK? Can we just call them up and go and buy one?

I know, frustrating to see your exact spec sitting in inventory over there

You can but they are less than 6 months old you'll have to pay VAT when importing. VRT would be very expensive too.

Assuming they are already UK registered. If they are showroom inventory (ie just sitting in the showroom but not registered on UK plates) then you won't realistically be able - it's very very onerous to import a new unregistered car from outside the ROI

DC motors can get you one with a short lead time. They can bring them over and rereg them here via a leasing company set up. You have to be a bit lucky and hope they have your exact spec though. They do charge about 2k over retail though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellticwarrior

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.
    I reserved back in March 2017 and finally ordered 3 weeks ago (SR+).
    Has anyone ordered a Red multi-coat Model 3, it's my personal preference, but from what I'm reading, not may are ordering it.
    Is there an issue with the colour/paint that I may be unaware of?
    I've read that it's more difficult to get right and also more should repairs be required down the line it could be an issue getting the colour to match.
    Are these the only reasons?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.
    I reserved back in March 2017 and finally ordered 3 weeks ago (SR+).
    Has anyone ordered a Red multi-coat Model 3, it's my personal preference, but from what I'm reading, not may are ordering it.
    Is there an issue with the colour/paint that I may be unaware of?
    I've read that it's more difficult to get right and also more should repairs be required down the line it could be an issue getting the colour to match.
    Are these the only reasons?

I was big into ordering a Red one until I saw some at Sandyford. I just felt it looked very dull. I'm not great at keeping a car spotless and the red really needs to be sparkling to look well.

I was big into ordering a Red one until I saw some at Sandyford. I just felt it looked very dull. I'm not great at keeping a car spotless and the red really needs to be sparkling to look well.

Yeah, me too. That car looked awful!

Also, I think red paint needs off white interior like the biscuity one available on the S, not black or panda. The S also had pronounced haunches that somehow work better with the red.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/19/tesla-model-3-acceleration-boost-tested-0-60-in-3-8-more-power-and-torque/
    Now, with the new “Acceleration Boost” upgrade, Wugz measured peak power of 371kW (497hp), for a boost of 50 horsepower from the update. This is about 11% more power and resulted in a quicker 0-60 time, just under 3.8 seconds.

I don't think this is good value for money. It's analogous to chipping a turbo ICE car, and that typically costs under €500.

https://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=2&model=184&fueltype=4&variant=2970

I would probably buy it for one thousand though.

I don't think Tesla need the cash, I understand the desire to avoid pissing off P owners, but the P has another 20% power again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

eddhorse wrote: »

Free? It's says sneak peak, like a video I presume?

Delivery appointment now showing in my account for mid January.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

I have to say, Red looks fabulous. Every time I see a Red one (S/X/3), I drool and wish I was 20 years younger! Would I buy a Red one, honestly no - not for me, a bit too flash (grey suits my hair and personality!)

Do it so I can be jealous!
    B

Delivery appointment now showing in my account for mid January.

Presume you got VIN matched before this?

Ordered 27th June and still have an edit button and no account activity.

My car must be in the factory in berlin they haven't built yet. Roll on 2023.

I’ve updated the online goggle doc with the details. Are you waiting on an SR plus? Priority looks to be to the higher margin cars. I don’t think anybody can make any sense of how Tesla match cars.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16VDzPNuhW5i1k3qEM9JLOD5ZUNq0RHeROZReoUjT5oQ
    Presume you got VIN matched before this?

Ordered 27th June and still have an edit button and no account activity.

My car must be in the factory in berlin they haven't built yet. Roll on 2023.

• Advertisement

I’ve updated the online goggle doc with the details. Are you waiting on an SR plus? Priority looks to be to the higher margin cars. I don’t think anybody can make any sense of how Tesla match cars.

Waiting on a P3D grey, black int, no FSD.

Something wrong there, hope you get sorted soon. I found the Tesla HQ good to deal with on the phone with updates.
    Waiting on a P3D grey, black int, no FSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

My patience is wearing thin now. Was very close to pulling the trigger on another 5 series last week as I sold my last one a month ago and there is till no confirmation that I will have one in mid January as have been told a few times over the last several months.

Also reading far too many problems with chargers including the ionity ones which is really putting me off as well.

Something wrong there, hope you get sorted soon. I found the Tesla HQ good to deal with on the phone with updates.

Cheers. I emailed tesla Sandyford and rang deliveries number. Got a fella in the UK who was quite pleasant. Said expecting big deliveries in Jan 20 and to keep an eye on email etc. Same thing I've been hearing for past 6 months... so several pinches of salt etc.

Hope springs eternal.

Re: charger woes. I think it's gonna be remedied a lot quicker than we think. The more EV drivers who are ringing up and annoying Ionity and ESB the more uptime and quicker repairs they will see. I think lack of use of their infrastructure over past 3-4 years is the reason why they are left broken or not maintained. That will hopefully change as model 3 invades.

In California for my 2 weeks and 2k miles with our model 3, we didn't have a single problem finding a charger and they all worked. Even most hotels had one that was free. It was easier find a charger in Yosemite than a station to fuel your ice car. That's a future that isn't impossible here in this country. We just need more EV troops on the roads.

In California for my 2 weeks and 2k miles with our model 3, we didn't have a single problem finding a charger and they all worked. Even most hotels had one that was free. It was easier find a charger in Yosemite than a station to fuel your ice car. That's a future that isn't impossible here in this country. We just need more EV troops on the roads.

On the charger front, once Tesla finish the supercharger/destination rollout (in our tiny country), don't expect to be using Ionity or ESB at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Cheers. I emailed tesla Sandyford and rang deliveries number. Got a fella in the UK who was quite pleasant. Said expecting big deliveries in Jan 20 and to keep an eye on email etc. Same thing I've been hearing for past 6 months... so several pinches of salt etc.

Hope springs eternal.

Re: charger woes. I think it's gonna be remedied a lot quicker than we think. The more EV drivers who are ringing up and annoying Ionity and ESB the more uptime and quicker repairs they will see. I think lack of use of their infrastructure over past 3-4 years is the reason why they are left broken or not maintained. That will hopefully change as model 3 invades.

It's been fairly obvious for a while that other countries have made progress with making EV infrastructure work well. Even to the point where you don't even need home charging because the public network is good enough.

The problem for new EV drivers taking a leap of faith is that we are used to a LOT of things been better in other countries.

Trains.

Housing.

Health systems.

Yet poor in Ireland.

EV sceptics will assume EV charging network will be similar.

Unfortunately although Ionity aren't exactly the HSE and ditto Tesla - they aren't exactly helping the cause as they should.

Would be nice to see if the Ionity Athlone issue is down to specific cars or an Ionity failure.

The charging thing IS fixable - but needs proper processes.

• Advertisement

Guy on uTube saying/swearing he saw 8+ Tesla stalls being built in Cashel?
    This is not the case is it? Maybe he saw the Ionity ones?

jusmeig wrote: »
    Guy on uTube saying/swearing he saw 8+ Tesla stalls being built in Cashel?
    This is not the case is it? Maybe he saw the Ionity ones?
    Who is it?
    I havent seen any Tesla ones there and I was down there last month using Ionity

ELM327 wrote: »
    Who is it?
    I havent seen any Tesla ones there and I was down there last month using Ionity

My comment is misleading, guy commented on a uTube video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

jusmeig wrote: »
    My comment is misleading, guy commented on a uTube video :)

Theres already tesla superchargers on that road so I doubt it.

Upcoming and existing chargers.
    https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/findus/list/superchargers/Ireland

Enfield, Athenry, Cork

Edit button disappeared today and we are drafting up your contract message now so hopefully some movement in January....not holding my breath though!

• Advertisement

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Edit button disappeared today and we are drafting up your contract message now so hopefully some movement in January....not holding my breath though!

Still nothing for me. Rang DC motor company today and they tell me they can get me one for definite early to mid Jan. So if nothing happens this weekend I'm cancelling with Tesla and going with them. Can't handle the Tesla process any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

For anyone who is still waiting or anyone who is frustrated, please be patient as the greatest gadget on wheels is coming you way.

It is a unbelievable experience to drive and use the model 3 Lr, I have never been a car guy until the model 3 was released and after a long wait have had the joy of being part of the Tesla evolution.

There have been three software updates in the last month that have increased range, improved auto wipers and added caraoke and Netflix while adjusting the positions of apps on the screen to make it easier to use while driving and also one foot driving which is a joy and unlike others marquees the software updates will continue to update.

Whenever you reach the date of purchase the wait will be worth it.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of Model 3’s in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Chaz76 wrote: »

We have ordered exact same cars but I ordered 3 months before you get you appear to be making more progress than me. I guess yours cost a bit more though as you ordered later than me? Mines is showing as 65.5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

M3P ordered 15th August....no progress so far. Still patiently awaiting news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellticwarrior

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    I have to say, Red looks fabulous. Every time I see a Red one (S/X/3), I drool and wish I was 20 years younger! Would I buy a Red one, honestly no - not for me, a bit too flash (grey suits my hair and personality!)

Do it so I can be jealous!
    B

Many thanks for the replies.
    The red is by far my favourite also, was just worried when I didn't see anyone else ordering it

eddhorse wrote: »

Straight question. Is letting the car drive not illegal in Ireland? I know in Italy you have to be in control

digiman wrote: »
    We have ordered exact same cars but I ordered 3 months before you get you appear to be making more progress than me. I guess yours cost a bit more though as you ordered later than me? Mines is showing as 65.5k.

I gave Tesla a call yesterday just to see if there was any news. Guy was very pleasant on the phone and ran through all my details and got me to send a picture of my drivers license. Also confirmed how I was paying for the car etc. He said I hadn't been matched yet but to expect some news mid January. The change in screen could be only because he confirmed some details. No harm giving them a shout just to ask where you are in the process

Also when I placed the order in October it was the same price as yours 65.5K M3P Blue White interior

digiman wrote: »

My edit design button is also still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My mate with the LR AWD says there's an offer from Tesla to make the car 0.5s faster 0-100km/h for €1,800. So what would that be then, about 3.7s? Smoke a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis away from the lights in your €55k car :D

Tesla milking it there :p

Anyone any link to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    My mate with the LR AWD says there's an offer from Tesla to make the car 0.5s faster 0-100km/h for €1,800. So what would that be then, about 3.7s? Smoke a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis away from the lights in your €55k car :D

Tesla milking it there :p

Anyone any link to this?

Pay €68k

Smoke a Bugatti to 60 in P3D in 2.66secs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement