Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So I've finally been flat to the Matt in a model 3. Phenomenal uptake

And presumably that was the slowest base model 3 (SR+) that is used for test drives out of Sandyford? (0-60 in 5s)

Now imagine how fast a S 90/100D is or a 3 LR AWD (4s), a 3 P (3s), or an S ludicrous (2s) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

sln852 wrote: »
    uyers over the last few months.

Speaking of 20" wheels. Has anyone with a MP3+ (received or on order) looked into sourcing 18 rims that'll fit over the performance brakes? Find anything interesting out there?

I did see some nice looking 19" ones on Opponeo, I think 19" will definitely fit.

I couldn't find any all-season tyres listed for the 20" wheels. :(

I think FastWheels in Canada have some 18s that fit on the P+ too.

Now the bidding for the grey wheels with barely used sports tyres begins. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    And presumably that was the slowest base model 3 (SR+) that is used for test drives out of Sandyford? (0-60 in 5s)

Now imagine how fast a S 90/100D is or a 3 LR AWD (4s), a 3 P (3s), or an S ludicrous (2s) :)
    They have a LR AWD for test drives now. I saw it when I was in with my S.
    I never get tired of showing off the S90D to new people, extended family etc

They are all curious about EVs now (as opposed to laughing at me in the leaf!) and describe the acceleration as like a rollercoaster. I love telling them after that its not even the performance model. Changes some perceptions about EVs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

EVGuy wrote: »
    I did see some nice looking 19" ones on Opponeo, I think 19" will definitely fit.

I couldn't find any all-season tyres listed for the 20" wheels. :(

I think FastWheels in Canada have some 18s that fit on the P+ too.

Now the bidding for the grey wheels with barely used sports tyres begins. ;)

Some nice options on the FastWheels site.

Bola wheels might be another option which may be easier to source. The 18x8.5" FLB wheel is supposed to fit but haven't been able to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

sln852 wrote: »
    Some nice options on the FastWheels site.

Bola wheels might be another option which may be easier to source. The 18x8.5" FLB wheel is supposed to fit but haven't been able to confirm that.

I presume there are more options available for the performance stealth as they have the standard brake calipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

jordan191 wrote: »
    I presume there are more options available for the performance stealth as they have the standard brake calipers.

Yeah there would be many more options available to you with the P-.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Got this email today....the end is in sight...happy days

Hi fitzgeme,

I am delighted to confirm that you have now been matched with a Model 3 Performance with VIN 5xxxxxxxxxx for delivery over the coming weeks.

In order for us to finalize your order and submit an application for your SEAI Electric Vehicle Grant, could you kindly follow the steps below and return the required information at your earliest convenience. The SEAI grant process typically takes ~15 working days and grant approval will be communicated to you prior to confirming your delivery appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

I actively move away from a Tesla on the road if I see it. I want no part of some idiot’s lack of training in handling its speed and don’t trust its wonky vapourware

I actively block idiots/trolls on Boards if I see them post as I want no part of some fool looking for a meaning in life- and do not trust their wonky toxic opinions!

Hope life gets a little more meaning for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

Left the car with Quickpark in Dublin Airport, free premium parking today. Will be back in 3 days, got there with 120km of rated range, they plugged it in 1hr after I left... quick to the Tesla app and limited charge to 90% (was set to 100%). Car is now charged and waiting with 450km of range.

Should make it back to Galway with that :)

I actively move away from a Tesla on the road if I see it. I want no part of some idiot’s lack of training in handling its speed and don’t trust its wonky vapourware

Where are you driving? I almost never see one that isn't parked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hi Seth Orange Springboard,

I am delighted to confirm that you have now been matched with a Model 3 Performance with VIN 5xxxxxxxxxx for delivery over the coming weeks.

In order for us to finalize your order and submit an application for your SEAI Electric Vehicle Grant, could you kindly follow the steps below and return the required information at your earliest convenience. The SEAI grant process typically takes ~15 working days and grant approval will be communicated to you prior to confirming your delivery appointment.

Congrats, looking forward to seeing more on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Hi Seth Orange Springboard,

Same, got email today too! Looks like end may almost be in sight!🙂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

They are working in Sandyford, been getting emails all day and filling in the paperwork and providing them with the documentation, very smooth process so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Has anyone tried Smart Summon yet? Didn’t work at all in EU for first few days but now appears to work in extremely limited scenarios.

I must say, as expected, FSD has been a tremendous waste of money so far. I find the auto lane change to be practically useless and I nearly always knock it off by accident when I’m changing lanes. I also find when I’m sitting in the left lane it will sometimes suggest I switch to the right lane even though there are now cars anywhere around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

hatrack wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Smart Summon yet? Didn’t work at all in EU for first few days but now appears to work in extremely limited scenarios.

I must say, as expected, FSD has been a tremendous waste of money so far. I find the auto lane change to be practically useless and I nearly always knock it off by accident when I’m changing lanes. I also find when I’m sitting in the left lane it will sometimes suggest I switch to the right lane even though there are now cars anywhere around.

Seems like it, all gone very quiet on FSD

From what I've read Elon has to figure out human sight for FSD to work, so it'll be a waste of money till we are all dead, he's never gonna figure that out, we really over rate our intelligence

He couldn't afford to use lidar that Google use on Waymo cars as that would cost 100k+ per car and though that is FSD, it needs perfect maps and on a global scale it would never keep up with road changes, road works, new roads etc

With that option out Elon had 2 choices, give up on FSD and give out refunds or continue with this FSD by sight only, no fancy sensors like lidar, it's a dead end imo

Look up roborace if you want to see that state of FSD tech

They can't even get a racecar with every sensor and computer in the world to go around a race track at even half human driver speed without crashing

I can't understand how it's not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Seems like it, all gone very quiet on FSD

From what I've read Elon has to figure out human sight for FSD to work, so it'll be a waste of money till we are all dead, he's never gonna figure that out, we really over rate our intelligence

He couldn't afford to use lidar that Google use on Waymo cars as that would cost 100k+ per car and though that is FSD, it needs perfect maps and on a global scale it would never keep up with road changes, road works, new roads etc

With that option out Elon had 2 choices, give up on FSD and give out refunds or continue with this FSD by sight only, no fancy sensors like lidar, it's a dead end imo

Look up roborace if you want to see that state of FSD tech

They can't even get a racecar with every sensor and computer in the world to go around a race track at even half human driver speed without crashing

I can't understand how it's not possible

It is possible, and has been done and demonstrated numerous times. Regulation and edge cases are the issues now, ie computers deciding when someone is gonna die.

All the major players have lvl 4 cars driving around cities, where u getting this from. He is claiming feature complete in 2020, so I'm guessing he knows something u don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Personally i think Tesla / Elon will make it work. It is already looking really good in the USA.

The only thing holding a lot of it back now is EU regulation.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2019/10/28/steve-wozniak-autonomous-vehicles-avs-level-5-cars/amp/

Level 4 is here and now Level 5 is still a long way off no matter what Musk says the software may be feature complete but actually using it without lidar equipped cars is a long way off but I am sure Musk will keep charging for it to keep money coming in.

I agree with the OP having used the supposed FSD in a Model 3 and S it’s a con and a complete waste of money.

jusmeig wrote: »
    It is possible, and has been done and demonstrated numerous times. Regulation and edge cases are the issues now, ie computers deciding when someone is gonna die.

All the major players have lvl 4 cars driving around cities, where u getting this from. He is claiming feature complete in 2020, so I'm guessing he knows something u don't.

Guys with expensive lidar/sensors are close on perfectly mapped courses alright, that's what I said earlier

It works in that situation, they are city circuits, not real world though, they can't map every road in the world and keep it up to date, they'll always be playing catch up, too many changes

They are doing well though

Like TCP/IP has pointed out

On Teslas tech, they are not anywhere near the stuff from Google etc, it's a money grab, tech needed will cost way more than cars themselves

What Tesla have is a monkey driving that can see and follow basic commands and Elon is hoping that monkey turns into a very intelligent human with updates

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Guys with expensive lidar/sensors are close on perfectly mapped courses alright, that's what I said earlier

It works in that situation, they are city circuits, not real world though, they can't map every road in the world and keep it up to date, they'll always be playing catch up, too many changes

They are doing well though

Like TCP/IP has pointed out

On Teslas tech, they are not anywhere near the stuff from Google etc, it's a money grab, tech needed will cost way more than cars themselves

What Tesla have is a monkey driving that can see and follow basic commands and Elon is hoping that monkey turns into a very intelligent human with updates

I disagree. If you believe vision alone can do it, then tech is cheap as chips. Lidar will always be expensive and as you point out, mapping and simulation is the wrong way to go. Massive overhead to maintaining them gigantic lidar maps.

They either have figured it out or are so close that in the US at least they think they will pass regulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Ordered black , black interior SR+ today, 1000 euro deposit, (was 2000 only a few weeks back)

my referral code is:
    https://ts.la/eric59739
    if anyone would like to use it

cheers

I disagree. If you believe vision alone can do it, then tech is cheap as chips. Lidar will always be expensive and as you point out, mapping and simulation is the wrong way to go. Massive overhead to maintaining them gigantic lidar maps.

They either have figured it out or are so close that in the US at least they think they will pass regulators.

True on Lidar

We will see with Elon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Latest update has support for text messages with a few minor issues (turn on your audio, don't play in front of your Ma)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Same, got email today too! Looks like end may almost be in sight!🙂
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of information were they looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Ordered black , black interior SR+ today, 1000 euro deposit, (was 2000 only a few weeks back)

my referral code is:
    https://ts.la/eric59739
    if anyone would like to use it

cheers

What is the current lead time .. like weeks, months .. ??

Even roughly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

February on the website, in Sandyford the other day they said March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I ordered mid-November (Performance, white) -- website indicated a December delivery at the time. I was vin-matched last week and told to expect the SEAI application to take 15 working days so realistically looking end of January or early February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

I ordered mid-November... I was vin-matched last week

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Just out of curiosity, what kind of information were they looking for?

ESB bill, sign the seai form and answer questionnaire on home charging stuff for grant application. Also a few bits and pieces about finance. After that just a message to say we’ll be in touch with exact delivery date for second half of the month once grant approval comes back with final invoice sent a week before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Partridge9 wrote: »
    What is the current lead time .. like weeks, months .. ??

Even roughly ?

It said February on the website as I was ordering.
    But it said that in November also the last time I looked

Chaz76 wrote: »
    ESB bill, sign the seai form and answer questionnaire on home charging stuff for grant application. Also a few bits and pieces about finance. After that just a message to say we’ll be in touch with exact delivery date for second half of the month once grant approval comes back with final invoice sent a week before
    Cool stuff. Thanks for confirming! Will make sure to have all those details ready. Got VIN matched just over a week ago so hoping for an email soon!

Cool stuff. Thanks for confirming! Will make sure to have all those details ready. Got VIN matched just over a week ago so hoping for an email soon!

Are you waiting for a performance?

Good to finally see a June buyer get a VIN!

• Advertisement

mouthful wrote: »
    Are you waiting for a performance?
    Yeah, waiting on a White Performance with the updated grey 20 inch wheels. Black interior with no FSD. Just got the email from Tesla there asking for the details for the SEAI grant. Finally some progress!

Good to finally see a June buyer get a VIN!
    Tell me about it haha!

At bleedin long last.

At bleedin long last.

You??

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭PaulRyan97

So how many people in this thread are due to take delivery in January?

• Advertisement

You??
    Nah...just things moving in general.
    Me and you are last dude...its all this dissenting on boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

I'm still waiting too.

I'm still waiting too.
    The Tesla Three

And don’t forget Mouthful.

And don’t forget Mouthful.

The Fremont Four?

The For F***s Sake (where’s me car) Four.

I'm still waiting too.

I am still waiting 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I turned down a late 192, I suspect I they will keep me waiting a while.

On the plus side I fly to Munich to pick up a I3 120 with the wife for her new ride on the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

krissovo wrote: »
    On the plus side I fly to Munich to pick up a I3 120 with the wife for her new ride on the 2nd.

Sweet car and reasonably priced for what it is too. I presume it will be an Irish reg car and you are flying over to do the "owner picks up new car from the factory in Germany" thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lottyb

Anyone order a Blue Model 3?

Does the colour stand up in person versus the website?

Looking to order in the new year but still deciding on a colour. Either thinking of Blue or White as I will be doing Chrome Delete and adding Black Rims.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement