Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I know if I tripped and say broke a leg off a charging cable it would be the owner of the vehicle I would be actioning against as it was their cable that caused the accident. Now I do agree people need to be careful where they walk but from a legal perspective, it was the owner of the cable I would be going after.

This attitude is disgusting. Could you not just look where you're going and if you do happen to trip up just get up and get on with your life instead immediately looking to sue someone? People like you are why I'm still paying 1000e plus for car insurance. What happened to personal responsibility?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

MadYaker wrote: »
    This attitude is disgusting. Could you not just look where you're going and if you do happen to trip up just get up and get on with your life instead immediately looking to sue someone? People like you are why I'm still paying 1000e plus for car insurance. What happened to personal responsibility?

Ok, thanks for the response and I guess you missed the piece in my post where I said "Now I do agree people need to be careful where they walk" but that's ok you rant away.

As for the reason you pay €1000+ is because you are in a certain risk category I currently insure a tuned and declared M4 with over 500bhp for under €680 because I am lower risk than you from the insurance companies perspective.

This is an interesting topic and if the mods feel its right may be best to move to general EV talk as it might take away from actual M3 conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

CFC007 wrote: »
    Yes this happened to me went from 11.5 down to 9k. Tesla sorted it. If you send a copy of your acceptance of the 8k offer to deliveryie@tesla.com it will be updated. My final invoice reflects 11.5k.

I emailed them thanks - nothing back yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

I wouldn’t expect a mail back but when you call them in a few days it should be updated. Good luck!!
    rduggy wrote: »
    I emailed them thanks - nothing back yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lumen wrote: »
    I see your Elon Musk and raise a Carlos Ghosn. :pac:

And you posted that before his Houdini act :p

Looks like he had a Gregorian ensemble performing a show at his house in Japan over Christmas. He arranged to be illegally taken out of his house in a box used to carry instruments and then illegally removed from the country and transported to the Lebanon, where he is also a citizen and safe from extradition.

There will be a Hollywood movie about this in a few years time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I know this might be a bit of a touchy subject as rare people like talking about money but how much are people financing this car percentage wise?

I’m still in two minds about buying one. I’ll have about 25k cash in the aim to buy something in March/April. Do I buy a model 3 and finance the rest leaving me with a €700~ a month payment (since I’ve never financed a car is that high). Or do I buy a fossil at the €25k mark for one-two years and try again then with similar cash + some trade-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I know this might be a bit of a touchy subject as rare people like talking about money but how much are people financing this car percentage wise?

I’m still in two minds about buying one. I’ll have about 25k cash in the aim to buy something in March/April. Do I buy a model 3 and finance the rest leaving me with a €700~ a month payment (since I’ve never financed a car is that high). Or do I buy a fossil at the €25k mark for one-two years and try again then with similar cash + some trade-in?

You could buy a different electric car for 25k rather than the ICE car? If u don't fancy finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

You are the only person who can answer that as there are too many variables;
    How secure is your job and/or your partner’s job?
    How much is left on the mortgage or could your rent increase?
    How much do you think you will save on fuel?
    How long do you intend to keep the car?
    Is having the car worth the extra financial load?

Do not feel you need to answer the questions here because you will get conflicting advice from people who lack a full understanding of your circumstances.

With the delay with Tesla filling orders you might have loads of time to save as my own is almost 6 months late at this stage.

Good luck with what ever you decide- they say irrespective of whether or not you get married at some point in your life you will regret it. I think the same is true when buying a Tesla!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mouthful wrote: »
    you will get conflicting advice from people who lack a full understanding of your circumstances.

Totally this 100%. Some on here think that if you have to finance a car you cannot afford it. Some finance a very large percentage, some finance small amounts. A lot somewhere in the middle. I have bought cars every way, big finance all the way to 100% cash, both have their pros and cons. TBH I dont like having a large amounts of cash tied up in cars.

Tesla are offering 4.9% money from AIB which is very cheap. Some people can write off portions of their financing and car expenses and depreciation. There are so many permutations its impossible to say.

25k is a good chunk to put down, and you will likely have that left in 3 or 4 years, meaning the car has only cost you the repayments and running costs. If 700 euro a month is a reasonable ammount for you to run a car for a month then fire ahead. Buying a holding car will generally kill you in depreciation.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Totally this 100%. Some on here think that if you have to finance a car you cannot afford it. Some finance a very large percentage, some finance small amounts. A lot somewhere in the middle. I have bought cars every way, big finance all the way to 100% cash, both have their pros and cons. TBH I dont like having a large amounts of cash tied up in cars.

Tesla are offering 4.9% money from AIB which is very cheap. Some people can write off portions of their financing and car expenses and depreciation. There are so many permutations its impossible to say.

25k is a good chunk to put down, and you will likely have that left in 3 or 4 years, meaning the car has only cost you the repayments and running costs. If 700 euro a month is a reasonable ammount for you to run a car for a month then fire ahead. Buying a holding car will generally kill you in depreciation.

4.9% is very good from a financing perspective.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    You could buy a different electric car for 25k rather than the ICE car? If u don't fancy finance.

This may sound cocky but the only electric cars that I’d be seen in are Tesla’s or an ID3 or if Audi came out with something in the saloon range. The rest are either:
    A) ugly exterior
    B) ugly interior
    C) a SUV that would cry if it met a puddle.
    D) designed to look electric e.g. blue accents everywhere etc.
    You are the only person who can answer that as there are too many variables;
    How secure is your job and/or your partner’s job?
    How much is left on the mortgage or could your rent increase?
    How much do you think you will save on fuel?
    How long do you intend to keep the car?
    Is having the car worth the extra financial load?

Do not feel you need to answer the questions here because you will get conflicting advice from people who lack a full understanding of your circumstances.

With the delay with Tesla filling orders you might have loads of time to save as my own is almost 6 months late at this stage.

Good luck with what ever you decide- they say irrespective of whether or not you get married at some point in your life you will regret it. I think the same is true when buying a Tesla!

My job is super secure, well anything can happen but you know yourself. Partner’s is a little bit insecure but we’re thinking of her stopping anyways to have kids in 1-2 years.

There’s about 78% left to pay on the mortgage, payments are fairly low compared to rent standards and I’m going to fix at 2.5% next month.

I spend about €150 in fuel a month and €20 on oil (car burns it at about a 1l/month it’s a banger 05 BMW).

I’d ideally keep the car 4-5 years and try to pay off the finance early so that there would be more equity in the car to trade-in but whatever would be more financially sound would be what I’d do I guess I’d have some time to figure that out.

Though decision hmm. Thanks for the input though very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This may sound cocky but the only electric cars that I’d be seen in are Tesla’s or an ID3 or if Audi came out with something in the saloon range. The rest are either:
    A) ugly exterior
    B) ugly interior
    C) a SUV that would cry if it met a puddle.
    D) designed to look electric e.g. blue accents everywhere etc.

My job is super secure, well anything can happen but you know yourself. Partner’s is a little bit insecure but we’re thinking of her stopping anyways to have kids in 1-2 years.

There’s about 78% left to pay on the mortgage, payments are fairly low compared to rent standards and I’m going to fix at 2.5% next month.

I spend about €150 in fuel a month and €20 on oil (car burns it at about a 1l/month it’s a banger 05 BMW).

I’d ideally keep the car 4-5 years and try to pay off the finance early so that there would be more equity in the car to trade-in but whatever would be more financially sound would be what I’d do I guess I’d have some time to figure that out.

Though decision hmm. Thanks for the input though very helpful.

Side note....where is offering 2.5% mortgage (its not a tracker if your fixing) at 78% LTV....thats a cracking rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭vicM

Side note....where is offering 2.5% mortgage (its not a tracker if your fixing) at 78% LTV....thats a cracking rate.

Think he is talking about the AIB green house 2.5% offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I’m on 2.3% with UB at 2 years fixed.

My own feeling on this is not to tie up cash in cars.

The last car we bought was with VW on 0% PCP and we put in the minimum deposit and were happy to leave cash in the bank Incase of unforeseen circumstances and just pay more every month as it’s not costing us anything in interest rates.

For mine I will put in around 10-20% and finance the rest with the AIB offer. The cheapest car loan out there I’ve seen is just over 6% with the banks so 4.9% as people have said is good.

I don’t mind paying a bit more in interest over 5-6 years and have the cash in the bank now.

vicM wrote: »
    Think he is talking about the AIB green house 2.5% offer

Yup that’s the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Can a model 3 windscreen withstand a flying hammer?

Spoiler no it can’t

https://insideevs.com/news/390769/video-hammer-hits-tesla-model-3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can a model 3 windscreen withstand a flying hammer?

Spoiler no it can’t

:eek:

A couple of decades ago I drove around in a windscreenless car, usually wearing sunglasses.

It was much safer then because we didn't have dashcams. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Sorry for my ignorance, but does the SR+ come with Sentry Mode and Dash cam stuff or is it only on the Long Range and Performance models ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

It comes with all specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

unkel wrote: »
    The UK is still pretty pathetic. Model 3 was the best selling car in the likes of the Netherlands and Norway last year.

Model 3 was the 8th best selling car in the UK in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Schelde Highway in Dublin port currently having docked from Zeebrugge. Wonder if this was carrying Model 3 stock into Ireland? Anyone in dublin port know?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

RedorDead wrote: »
    Schelde Highway in Dublin port currently having docked from Zeebrugge. Wonder if this was carrying Model 3 stock into Ireland? Anyone in dublin port know?

This ship seems to be on a regular Zeebrugge- Dublin route. The model 3s seem to arrive into Sandyford on UK registered trucks.

Munurty wrote: »
    This ship seems to be on a regular Zeebrugge- Dublin route. The model 3s seem to arrive into Sandyford on UK registered trucks.

Can someone crack one of the containers open? We need to be sure...I...need to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Got my RN number and submitted documents... not sure if thats something automatic or a sign that something is happening

Partridge9 wrote: »
    Got my RN number and submitted documents... not sure if thats something automatic or a sign that something is happening

You get your RN number when you first place your order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Hello everyone,

First time posting in this thread. I picked up my Model 3 standard range a couple of weeks ago. Pretty happy with the car itself so far and the driving experience.

I'm living in Belgium by the way.

Just a question, does anyone else notice that the battery seems to deplete much quicker than expected? The guy in the showroom told me that the actual range is close to 300km rather than official 390km so I didn't expect it to be exact. But this morning a journey of roughly 15km registered as taking approximately 36 km. Could be something to do with starting the car on a cold morning?

I'm a bit concerned to be honest. I'm using a supercharger relatively close to my house but don't want to be going there every 2nd day and don't want to get caught out running out of power in middle of the motorway.

I've only used the supercharger once but noticed speeds weren't what I expected. When the stall beside me was free, I was getting speeds of 45kW per hour, but when it was occupied I was getting half that. And then when the car was towards a full charge it seemed to be limiting me to very low speeds, was getting about 6kW per hour.

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong because this isn't the start that I was expecting with the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

First time posting in this thread. I picked up my Model 3 standard range a couple of weeks ago. Pretty happy with the car itself so far and the driving experience.

Just a question, does anyone else notice that the battery seems to deplete much quicker than expected? The guy in the showroom told me that the actual range is close to 300km rather than official 390km so I didn't expect it to be exact. But this morning a journey of roughly 15km registered as taking approximately 36 km. Could be something to do with starting the car on a cold morning?

I'm a bit concerned to be honest. I'm using a supercharger relatively close to my house but don't want to be going there every 2nd day and don't want to get caught out running out of power in middle of the motorway.

I've only used the supercharger once but noticed speeds weren't what I expected. When the stall beside me was free, I was getting speeds of 45kW per hour, but when it was occupied I was getting half that. And then when the car was towards a full charge it seemed to be limiting me to very low speeds, was getting about 6kW per hour.

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong because this isn't the start that I was expecting with the car.

Congratulations! You’ve been “Musked”, enjoy!!! #teslaserviceissues on reddit or twitter is your friend here.

Supercharger will slow down as your battery approaches capacity. It’s to stop you dying in a ball of fire.

And yeah, cold weather and aggressive driving are the two main factors in not getting expected range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hello everyone,

The SR+ charges at a peak of 170kW but will taper off, at 60% SOC and above you should expect below 100kW. I think from your figures you probably were at 70% SOC?

On a cold morning if you havent preheated you will use a lot of energy to run the resistive heater, always preheat by the app or by schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

ELM327 wrote: »
    The SR+ charges at a peak of 170kW but will taper off, at 60% SOC and above you should expect below 100kW. I think from your figures you probably were at 70% SOC?

On a cold morning if you havent preheated you will use a lot of energy to run the resistive heater, always preheat by the app or by schedule.
    If you use the preheater will you still have the same range drop anyway

How much energy will preheating use versus starting from cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you use the preheater will you still have the same range drop anyway

How much energy will preheating use versus starting from cold
    You wont, as you'll be plugged in it uses the energy from the mains.
    The heater in a 3 is 7kW, so if you run it for 1 hour, it will use up to 7kWh, or ~13% of a SR+ battery

The max I've seen in an S/X is 12kW being used for heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ELM327 wrote: »
    You wont, as you'll be plugged in it uses the energy from the mains.
    The heater in a 3 is 7kW, so if you run it for 1 hour, it will use up to 7kWh, or ~13% of a SR+ battery

The max I've seen in an S/X is 12kW being used for heating.

The poster says he uses a supercharger so may not have a home connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Congratulations! You’ve been “Musked”, enjoy!!! #teslaserviceissues on reddit or twitter is your friend here.

I've no idea why you're constantly in here sh*tting all over the thread. there's literally a Tesla Talk thread where you can take out your weird frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Maybe "the big log" can go and watch this and be more entertained than in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDblwKPSXpo&feature=em-uploademail

"You've been musk-rolled". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Rang Tesla today to see if any update on my order (M3 LR), was transferred to Tesla HQ before speaking to anyone, the guy there was very helpful, he told me due to the way Ireland operates (people like to buy/register cars in Jan due to number plate etc) they are allocating a lot of the cars that are arriving in UK in 2 weeks time to Ireland in an attempt to fill as many orders as possible. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

tw0nk wrote: »
    Rang Tesla today to see if any update on my order (M3 LR), was transferred to Tesla HQ before speaking to anyone, the guy there was very helpful, he told me due to the way Ireland operates (people like to buy/register cars in Jan due to number plate etc) they are allocating a lot of the cars that are arriving in UK in 2 weeks time to Ireland in an attempt to fill as many orders as possible. Fingers crossed.

Twonk did u get an email or a txt msg to say you were matched to a VIN yet?
    I thought this would be happening while the cars were in transit, and the guy said once this happens its usually about 3 weeks after this you get the car, so early / mid Feb.

The Reddit discussions are actually very helpful, thanks.
    Supercharger will slow down as your battery approaches capacity. It’s to stop you dying in a ball of fire.

And yeah, cold weather and aggressive driving are the two main factors in not getting expected range.

Thanks for feedback.
    kev22185 wrote: »
    I've no idea why you're constantly in here sh*tting all over the thread. there's literally a Tesla Talk thread where you can take out your weird frustrations.

I know it wasn't his intention, but his pointing me in the direction of the Reddit threads was good because it contained exactly the information I was looking for.

Overall I'm disappointed with the state of play regarding battery depletion. I probably should have done more research beforehand myself.

The other night I parked the car with 95 km left. Roughly 30 km disappeared overnight because of the cold. Then a 15km journey took more than twice as many kms out of the battery, leaving my wife just enough to get to work and home in one piece.

I understand the physics involved in cold depleting a battery, but surely this is something entirely foreseeable that people drive their cars when it's a bit cold and this should be taken into account for estimated range. As I mentioned, I live in Belgium where it doesn't get any colder than Ireland, it's not Antartica.

Although I have a supercharger 10 minutes drive from my house, it seems to be now that home charging is really the only viable option with an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Did you have sentry mode on when you lost 30 km overnight?

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Did you have sentry mode on when you lost 30 km overnight?

No.

But from reading different people's accounts, I will be careful from now on with heating to stop the battery running down.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

Although I have a supercharger 10 minutes drive from my house, it seems to be now that home charging is really the only viable option with an EV.

100% correct. You are only asking for headaches without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

30km vampire drain overnight sounds like a lot. Not that i have any real world experience with any of it yet.

Could there be another setting other than sentry mode preventing the car from going into sleep mode? I've seen enhanced summon default setting mentioned as an issue preventing the car from sleeping.

And here's a video Bjørn made a few weeks back where he parked at an airport for 22 days.

He left the car with 82.6% SOC (400KM) and returned to find it had dropped to 72% SOC (331KM) and he didn't preheat before checking it. Temperatures shown on the display were 0C and 1C and it snowed while he was away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFQQFS3XEKM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Twonk did u get an email or a txt msg to say you were matched to a VIN yet?
    I thought this would be happening while the cars were in transit, and the guy said once this happens its usually about 3 weeks after this you get the car, so early / mid Feb.

No I didn't get matched yet, from what he said on phone I got impression the delivery coming to UK was a selection of lots of cars and the matching would happen at that stage, but I could well be wrong on that.

I got this on my tesla account page today:

Next Steps

We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment. We will register your vehicle once final payment is received and once your SEAI Grant is approved (applicable to new vehicle personal purchase only).

Who must be present at delivery?

The registrant of the new vehicle must be present at delivery. If you are trading in a vehicle, the registered owner must be present at delivery. You will need Power of Attorney if you are delegating someone to accept your Tesla on your behalf.

What do I need to bring with me to delivery?

Your driver’s license
    Proof of final payment
    Title If trading in, please bring 2 x keys, logbook, copy of service history and valid tax & NCT discs
    By trading in your vehicle, you agree to these terms.
    SEAI Grant

If you have made a personal purchase of a new vehicle, Tesla will apply for your SEAI grant on your behalf once your VIN is available. The SLA from the SEAI is up to 15 working days for EV grant approval and letter of offer.

Does this mean anything? Or is it just because i sorted all the items they asked for?

rduggy wrote: »
    I got this on my tesla account page today:

Does this mean anything? Or is it just because i sorted all the items they asked for?

Think we all got this dude. They made a change on the 24th Dec.

Think we all got this dude. They made a change on the 24th Dec.

Yeah hadnt got my hopes up mine only appeared now as they didnt update my trade in and purchase options on their side....

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Means nothing. Some lad in Sandyford tasked with a Christmas eve mail merge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

This is all in the manual - the car will pull the max from the DC chargers

The AC Charger in the car is max 3x16A 400V - so 11kW.

I have maxed it at 11.7 kW, which shows with rounding as 12 kW on the in-car display. I have seen that in my M3 when using those 3-phase chargers in UK, where they often give more than 240 V/415 V (phase or line-to-neutral voltage/line-to-line voltage). The in-car display was showing “12 kW (3) 16A 243V”. Makes sense, considering that 3 * 16 A * 243 V = 11664 W.

PS as an aside: UK and Ireland used to run 240 V AC. The transition to EU-wide 230 V back in 2003 allowed for tolerance of -6%/+10%, hence 240 V there falls within the 230 V norm, while my single-phase home supply here in Ireland drops below the norm, getting as low as 208 V (under load) but 232 V otherwise. More V means faster charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

I rang 1800 817 354 this morning for the first time.

i haven't heard anything about my May 19 ordered car in months.

on the call I was told I was down for delivery late January/early February.
    I asked was there a vin assigned. I was told that there wasn't
    He said a lot of vins are being assigned this week and I should expect a delivery date in the next two weeks.

I asked are all my details up to date. He said they had been waiting on my driving license but he see's it on the system and will tick it off as received now. For this reason i think it's worth making the call just in case my order was waiting on this "ticking off".

Sadly I don't believe his timeline.

Munurty wrote: »
    Sadly I don't believe his timeline.

+1 on this. They have said this to everyone it seems.
    They wont manage them volumes if that is the case, they were flat out delivering 120 in a month, this would be 10X on that in the shorter timeframe.
    FAILTOWN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep you gotta ring them, dont wait around hoping.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement