Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Another transporter with 8 cars early this morning all performance model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Another transporter with 8 cars early this morning all performance model 3.

The year is 2022...a lone transporter pulls into sandyford....with 8 SR+ model 3's.
    But i've bought a Polestar 2.

jusmeig wrote: »
    The year is 2022...a lone transporter pulls into sandyford....with 8 SR+ model 3's.
    But i've bought a Polestar 2.

To be fair I saw nothing by SR+ deliveries in December seem to come in waves

To be fair I saw nothing by SR+ deliveries in December seem to come in waves

Ya thats what im hoping with these 3rd week in Jan magic boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭WattsUp

A couple of questions on model 3 that somebody here might answer.

If I ordered today I pay €1000 refundable deposit ? When/what is next stage of payment and when does it become "non-refundable" ?

The model3 LR has 11kW on board charger. I know that that can take 16ax3 phase but can it take 48a single phase or is it limited to 11kW single phase ?

I understand it does not have android auto. What is phone integration like ? What type of apps etc can run on the car itself if they cannot be run under android auto ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

20rothmans wrote: »
    A couple of questions on model 3 that somebody here might answer.

If I ordered today I pay €1000 refundable deposit ? When/what is next stage of payment and when does it become "non-refundable" ?

The model3 LR has 11kW on board charger. I know that that can take 16ax3 phase but can it take 48a single phase or is it limited to 11kW single phase ?

I understand it does not have android auto. What is phone integration like ? What type of apps etc can run on the car itself if they cannot be run under android auto ?

We don't generally have 48a single phase in Ireland.
    It is limited to 32a single phase or 16a three phase.
    Deposit is refundable until it's converted to "order payment".

No AA/Carplay integration. Not needed, car has native spotify, google maps, and netflix, youtube etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ELM327 wrote: »
    No AA/Carplay integration. Not needed, car has native spotify, google maps, and netflix, youtube etc

I listen to podcasts on the native iPhone podcast app, and I listen to audiobooks through BorrowBox (if you're not familiar with it, it's like your local library's version of the Audible app).

Could I get those apps to work with the Model 3? For example, can you just get it to play the audio from your phone via Bluetooth?

fricatus wrote: »
    I listen to podcasts on the native iPhone podcast app, and I listen to audiobooks through BorrowBox (if you're not familiar with it, it's like your local library's version of the Audible app).

Could I get those apps to work with the Model 3? For example, can you just get it to play the audio from your phone via Bluetooth?
    Yes , there is a native client for this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yes you just play on your phone and it will Bluetooth the audio to your car.

The Podcast section missing from Spotify app in car really grinds my gears.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yes you just play on your phone and it will Bluetooth the audio to your car.

There are other small bits missing too, like the Duo mix on spotify, and the ability to add waypoints in the nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

eddhorse wrote: »

Whhaaaaat?? ****, I did not know this.

Whhaaaaat?? ****, I did not know this.

Bluetooth them from your phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have any folks experienced driving in areas with poor to no cellular coverage?

What happens the google maps app when you have no coverage? Is there an option to download maps for offline use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There is a TuneIn radio app on the car that has podcasts. I don't bother with it however as it doesn't save where you last left off, so if you got 15 minutes into a podcast on your phone and then got into the car you'd have to manually navigate to 15 minutes in. And the same again if you start a podcast in your car and then want to continue listening on your phone later.

It would be easy to add podcasts to the Spotify app and fix the above, but until they it's just easier to listen to them via the phone on Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

Anyone else getting this?

• Advertisement

What happens the google maps app when you have no coverage? Is there an option to download maps for offline use?

the data cover in the car is better than mine with eir/gomo, there are very few blackspots

It seems to work fine once a destination is already selected

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

CFC007 wrote: »
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

Website login has been down all afternoon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get HERE WeGo for your phone and download the map for Ireland, or whatever countries you need. Works entirely offline with no need for a data connection unless you want satellite imagery and the full suite of points of interest, in which case it will fetch those over WiFi or data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

offline googlemaps will also work

• Advertisement

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    offline googlemaps will also work

Not without a data connection it won't. Sure, if you know beforehand you won't be able to get a signal somewhere you can download the map for the area of interest, but that is nowhere near equivalent to having the entire country on your phone, always and at all times, as a backup for when you discover you can't get a signal.

It's the difference between always having a spare tyre, jack and tools in the car and putting them in the boot because you think the next trip might be the one when you get a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Was on to Sandyford asking whether grant was back yet. They said they haven’t had any back and several are over the 15 days. Said they’ve contacted them to pull their finger out. Crazy system that it takes so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

It’s farcical, should be registered and Tesla claim the rebate back. I initially had pick up tomorrow but changed it to Saturday as wasn’t taking time off work. Now who knows if it will be ready to take.
    Chaz76 wrote: »
    Was on to Sandyford asking whether grant was back yet. They said they haven’t had any back and several are over the 15 days. Said they’ve contacted them to pull their finger out. Crazy system that it takes so long

It’s farcical, should be registered and Tesla claim the rebate back. I initially had pick up tomorrow but changed it to Saturday as wasn’t taking time off work. Now who knows if it will be ready to take.

Get on to your local TD. Will be in election mode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

As long as his TD is not a Healy Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Watched this earlier, guess which car won?
    Love Reading this thread, but can't afford it.

I'm living my dreams through you guys, hope you get your cars soon.

Notdeco wrote: »
    Watched this earlier, guess which car won?
    Love Reading this thread, but can't afford it.

I'm living my dreams through you guys, hope you get your cars soon.

I haven't watched it, but judging by the comments, the Kia e-niro won the mindshare.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I haven't watched it, but judging by the comments, the Kia e-niro won the mindshare.

20k less than a LR I can see why. Just as hard to buy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    20k less than a LR I can see why. Just as hard to buy though.

The tesla won but only by about 5 miles over the e-niro. M3 easily beat the other luxury brands.

Interestingly not all of them allowed the cars to be pushed in neutral. M3 okay. Never occurred to me that a car might be completely immobilized if ran out of juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Reag wrote: »
    The tesla won but only by about 5 miles over the e-niro. M3 easily beat the other luxury brands.

Interestingly not all of them allowed the cars to be pushed in neutral. M3 okay. Never occurred to me that a car might be completely immobilized if ran out of juice.
    Yeah! Apparently pushing is ok but towing with all 4 wheels on the ground is not due to potential overheating of the regen system in the motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Cars needed someone in driver's seat in order for the system to allow them to be pushed.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Cars needed someone in driver's seat in order for the system to allow them to be pushed.

The Merc EQC wouldn't move at all. Had to get an extension lead from pub to give a bit of juice so could get to charger 30 yds away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xCiaránx

The Tesla won by 14.7 miles, or 23.66 km. I'd call that pretty significant. The Kia's a compelling car for the price but add in the Model 3 charging speeds and the Tesla really starts to separate itself, even without V3 superchargers around yet.

434.04 km in total before the Tesla conked out, and there had been some vampire drain the night before. The fact it wasn't plugged in at the start of the trip means there was no pre-conditioning either.

I know it's short of the advertised range by some distance and the loop at the end is always going to eke out more range than if you just push it on the motorway for the whole test. I've got to say though, that's pretty impressive for a winter's day in this part of the world.

xCiaránx wrote: »
    The Tesla won by 14.7 miles, or 23.66 km. I'd call that pretty significant. The Kia's a compelling car for the price but add in the Model 3 charging speeds and the Tesla really starts to separate itself, even without V3 superchargers around yet.

434.04 km in total before the Tesla conked out, and there had been some vampire drain the night before. The fact it wasn't plugged in at the start of the trip means there was no pre-conditioning either.

I know it's short of the advertised range by some distance and the loop at the end is always going to eke out more range than if you just push it on the motorway for the whole test. I've got to say though, that's pretty impressive for a winter's day in this part of the world.

It's the charging speeds that make the extra cost worthwhile. How much time would you lose over the lifetime of a car charging at a slow pace

U did not watch to the very end. There was a snippet which explained that the driver needed to be in the seat before the car could be pushed, for safety.

If you go on the website and start ordering a car, an indicative HP quote will appear. Gives you an idea only. Ignore the "savings" figure- wildly optimistic

So is the figure for the Standard Range of €526 per month not realistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

So is the figure for the Standard Range of €526 per month not realistic?

it is as long as you want to factor in petrol savings and you drive 20k km's and you buy petrol at 1.49 a litre. if you're on a desktop browser tap "Estimate Payment" beside the €526. Tap "Gas Savings" input your annual mileage and an estimate of price per litre and then tap "finance options" you'll see the savings amount but more importantly you'll see the actual cost of the finance without the savings, this is the figure that'll come out of your account each month for the loan and not the lower savings figure which can - depending on your driving - be wildy inaccurate.

That’s what I’m interested in.... what will I be actually paying each month for the 60 months of the finance?

• Advertisement

That’s what I’m interested in.... what will I be actually paying each month for the 60 months of the finance?

yup same here, but that price doesn't look quite attractive enough

yup same here, but that price doesn't look quite attractive enough

So €674 would be the actual monthly payments?

Depending on deposit, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Yes, If you put a downpayment of 11,960

Yes, assuming bog standard standard range car with no options selected and you putting down the minimum downpayment of €11,960.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Depending on deposit, yes.

Can you pay a larger deposit if you want to reduce the amount of credit required, thus reducing the monthly payments?

Who is the finance with? Tesla themselves or have they a few lenders to set you up with?

• Advertisement

Can you pay a larger deposit if you want to reduce the amount of credit required, thus reducing the monthly payments?

Who is the finance with? Tesla themselves or have they a few lenders to set you up with?
    Yes you can pay up to 80% deposit I believe
    Lending is with AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

Also a 6 year option too just as FYI with AIB through Tesla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭sk8board

cnocbui wrote: »

yeh, include me in that cohort - that the Niro was the real winner, albeit my money would be still spent on the M3 LR.

Saying that the large additional cost (€14k+ after grants?) is justified by quicker charge times is fanciful man-math I would think, especially with the dominance of home charging.

Both cars are different beasts, however in a straight shoot test of range, the Niro was too close to the M3 for comfort, indeed they both hit 0% battery at the same mileage, and the main difference was that the M3 drove most of those gap miles on '0%'

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

An Austrian company has created a Model 3 hybrid to showcase the powertrain they've developed.

They've stuck a petrol engine in the frunk and replaced the battery with a 17.3 kWh pack. The engine kicks in at 65 km/h and they're claiming a range of up to 1,000 km.

They're supplying the powertrain to manufacturers and expect a production car with it on the road in 2023.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/06/tesla-model-3-hybrid/

Found this video. It's in German and the auto-translated subtitles are crap but it shows a lot of pictures of the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vVUNeNM5Lg

Might be a bit late to the market in 2023 and it would be a very expensive hybrid to do that for a Model 3.

sk8board wrote: »
    yeh, include me in that cohort - that the Niro was the real winner, albeit my money would be still spent on the M3 LR.

Saying that the large additional cost (€14k+ after grants?) is justified by quicker charge times is fanciful man-math I would think, especially with the dominance of home charging.

Both cars are different beasts, however in a straight shoot test of range, the Niro was too close to the M3 for comfort, indeed they both hit 0% battery at the same mileage, and the main difference was that the M3 drove most of those gap miles on '0%'
    Agree - the kona is almost identical but more available

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement