Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

A VIN appeared in my source code today. Ordered 18th October. Long Range.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Same here, LR, vin appeared, ordered on Oct 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

sk8board wrote: »
    yeh, include me in that cohort - that the Niro was the real winner, albeit my money would be still spent on the M3 LR.

Saying that the large additional cost (€14k+ after grants?) is justified by quicker charge times is fanciful man-math I would think, especially with the dominance of home charging.

Both cars are different beasts, however in a straight shoot test of range, the Niro was too close to the M3 for comfort, indeed they both hit 0% battery at the same mileage, and the main difference was that the M3 drove most of those gap miles on '0%'

I would switch to the e Niro if it had lumbar support- can’t believe they decided to sell a long range car without it-

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

VIN appeared in source, SR+. September reservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mouthful wrote: »
    I would switch to the e Niro if it had lumbar support- can’t believe they decided to sell a long range car without it-
    For me I think the Niro is the best of the triplets, let down only by slow CCS speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ELM327 wrote: »
    For me I think the Niro is the best of the triplets, let down only by slow CCS speeds.

and the fact it's a cross over and not everyone likes a crossover despite the general population gravitating towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

Hi guys - how do you know if the VIN assigned is real? I ordered SR+ in April

I have one when i checked today: 5YJ3F7EA0LF653XXX (hiding last 3 digits incase seen people do that.)

Before i get excited is this a holding VIN?

Checked on https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/ and looks real .....

Position Description Value
    1-3 Manufacturer 5YJ = Tesla Motors, Inc.
    4 Make 3 = Model 3
    5 Body Type F = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
    6 Restraint System 7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
    7 Battery Type E = Lithium Ion Battery - Electric
    8 Motor/Drive Unit A = Single Motor - Standard
    9 Check Character 0
    10 Model Year L = 2020
    11 Location of Manufacture F = Fremont, CA, USA
    12 Serial #, 100,000s digit 6
    13-17 Serial Number Digits 53XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

Not to jinx it, but usually a VIN corresponds to a real physical car, probably on the ship on its way here. So if you've been matched with a car - it's a matter of days/weeks to arrange a delivery. However I don't know how long does it take from finding VIN in the source to a confirmed email/call from Tesla staff.

Having said that, me and others on this thread, have had VINs in source code back in November, which later disappeared. I assume those cars got redirected to business customers due to grant expiration

rduggy wrote: »
    Hi guys - how do you know if the VIN assigned is real? I ordered SR+ in April

I have one when i checked today: 5YJ3F7EA0LF653XXX (hiding last 3 digits incase seen people do that.)

Before i get excited is this a holding VIN?

Checked on https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/ and looks real .....

Position Description Value
    1-3 Manufacturer 5YJ = Tesla Motors, Inc.
    4 Make 3 = Model 3
    5 Body Type F = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
    6 Restraint System 7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
    7 Battery Type E = Lithium Ion Battery - Electric
    8 Motor/Drive Unit A = Single Motor - Standard
    9 Check Character 0
    10 Model Year L = 2020
    11 Location of Manufacture F = Fremont, CA, USA
    12 Serial #, 100,000s digit 6
    13-17 Serial Number Digits 53XXX

Single Motor so this is the VIN for a SR+ car

phoenix49 wrote: »
    Not to jinx it, but usually a VIN corresponds to a real physical car, probably on the ship on its way here. So if you've been matched with a car - it's a matter of days/weeks to arrange a delivery. However I don't know how long does it take from finding VIN in the source to a confirmed email/call from Tesla staff.

Having said that, me and others on this thread, have had VINs in source code back in November, which later disappeared. I assume those cars got redirected to business customers due to grant expiration

I really hope so - called into them a few weeks back and filled in all the paperwork in advance etc just so they have no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

I see VIN in source code too.

November order SR+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

:) reminds me of a bmw 4 series i wouldn't buy at a garage a few years ago because it didn't have the tilt & slide arm rest. I'm tall and drive long distances - it mattered at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

My account is still down, getting the error people reported yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Sigh. I'm never getting this car, am I...I've no idea why orders aren't being prioritized based on order date.

kev22185 wrote: »
    Sigh. I'm never getting this car, am I...I've no idea why orders aren't being prioritized based on order date.

When did you order ? I ordered as an existing owner although there is no conclusive evidence to support the preferential treatment they promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Has anyone who has deliveries scheduled for the next few days/weeks got SEAI grant approval yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Has anyone who has deliveries scheduled for the next few days/weeks got SEAI grant approval yet?

I did not get any word, but I didnt know I was to get any notice of the grant, assumed its more of a dealer issue as my payment is all complete as they requested. I assume the delivery date (same as your) stands unless told otherwise. I will confirm with them, as driving around in a rental car ATM and scheduled to hand it back the day of delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

You don’t get direct notice of the grant being approved, Sandyford will get that & then let you know about collection. Anyone who has a delivery date in their account, I’d be contacting them a few days before to make payment & then day before to confirm collection.

The guys in Sandyford are very helpful

I did not get any word, but I didnt know I was to get any notice of the grant, assumed its more of a dealer issue as my payment is all complete as they requested. I assume the delivery date (same as your) stands unless told otherwise. I will confirm with them, as driving around in a rental car ATM and scheduled to hand it back the day of delivery.

Got this off them yesterday so we’ll see...

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately nothing is back yet for any of the grants The typical timeline for approval is ~15 working days, however, we are currently waiting on a handful of grants to be approved that are already past this time frame. We had scheduled all delivery appointments based on this 15 working day approval timeline, so our Delivery team is chasing up the SEAI to see if this can be accelerated to avoid any inconvenient delivery delays.

We'll be sure to let you know just as soon as we hear back from the SEAI with approvals, and I'll aim to get your new registration number over right away once it comes through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭teslad

VIN appeared here in Source Code today and Tesla emailed to say I've been matched with a car...still wondering if that means anything and is it for real?

Do we think this is finally happening?

Would love to know from those here who have received an M3, how long between the "you've been matched" email and actual delivery?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

teslad wrote: »
    VIN appeared here in Source Code today and Tesla emailed to say I've been matched with a car...still wondering if that means anything and is it for real?

Do we think this is finally happening?

Would love to know from those here who have received an M3, how long between the "you've been matched" email and actual delivery?

Cheers.

Seems about 4 weeks from match to delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Just over 4 weeks for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Odauto

A little less that 4 week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Have most here ordered the SR + model?

I don’t see too many Performance models being delivered among those which have.

I guess the price of the SR is a lot more sensible, even though the Performance is a bargain for what it is.

AidenL wrote: »

I don’t see too many Performance models being delivered among those which have.

I guess the price of the SR is a lot more sensible, even though the Performance is a bargain for what it is.

I would estimate deliveries to date are about 70% performance. Most business purchasers seem to have opted for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    I would estimate deliveries to date are about 70% performance. Most business purchasers seem to have opted for them.

I would have thought it is the opposite just based on anytime I’ve been out there I’ve rarely seen a performance version and most I see on FB or on here are non performance

digiman wrote: »
    I would have thought it is the opposite just based on anytime I’ve been out there I’ve rarely seen a performance version and most I see on FB or on here are non performance

You could be right, I haven't kept any data on what I have seen people posting here and on facebook. Mine is just an impression.

AidenL wrote: »

Neither in my case. LR AWD, which I thought a good few have ordered based on the earlier discussions. However, I think the less expensive SR+ is likely to be more popular overall.

Weren’t there some car registration statistics for Ireland that listed the breakdown?

Seems about 4 weeks from match to delivery.
    How long does it take after VIN match for business purchase, since no seai interference

Rafal wrote: »
    Neither in my case. LR AWD, which I thought a good few have ordered based on the earlier discussions. However, I think the less expensive SR+ is likely to be more popular overall.

Weren’t there some car registration statistics for Ireland that listed the breakdown?

I also have LRAWD on order-
    No call yet
    Ordered on 31/05/19

7 months
    16 days ago
    10 hours
    48 minutes
    5 seconds
    ago, to be precise ;-)

Or - 230 days and counting

But sure it does not bother me a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I also have LRAWD on order-
    No call yet
    Ordered on 31/05/19 - 230 days and counting

Snap, LR AWD ticks all my boxes. I have changed the order twice though and I did turn down a 192 delivery. I am just waiting on the grant to come through now:confused:

krissovo wrote: »
    Snap, LR AWD ticks all my boxes. I have changed the order twice though and I did turn down a 192 delivery. I am just waiting on the grant to come through now:confused:

I also changed the order twice once to LRAWD and once to white

But was never offered anything - not even a spin in one

I also changed the order twice once to LRAWD and once to white

But was never offered anything - not even a spin in one

I have a strange habit of never test driving a car before i buy it. I base my purchase totally on reviews and love the feeling when i pick the car up of seeing whether i was correct. Thankfully so far the system hasn't let me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

SR+ ordered 8th June 2019. Updated on 17th July from silver to white paint when they changed the prices.

Edit button disappeared yesterday, no VIN yet.

Chaz76 wrote: »
    I have a strange habit of never test driving a car before i buy it. I base my purchase totally on reviews and love the feeling when i pick the car up of seeing whether i was correct. Thankfully so far the system hasn't let me down!

In truth I place very little store by test drives myself.
    The main test of a car for me is a journey of around 400 km, and few garages allow it. One of the reasons I opted for the model 3 was this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

kev22185 wrote: »

Because Tesla...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

I have decided to buy a model 3
    The dream will soon be a reality
    I have lurked forever in the boards but now have set up an account here to share my news with you all! This is my virgin post!

Now the fun part
    Which version
    Which colour
    Fsd or Diy
    So many questions for me to consider- any advice for this newbie
    I am so very excited

Tesla3 wrote: »
    The dream will soon be a reality
    I have lurked forever in the boards but now have set up an account here to share my news with you all! This is my virgin post!

Now the fun part
    Which version
    Which colour
    Fsd or Diy
    So many questions for me to consider- any advice for this newbie
    I am so very excited

Only advice I would give is not to bother with the FSD as you probably won't keep the car long enough to ever fully use it. The Autopilot it comes with is pretty advanced anyway. With electric cars it's all about the range so if you can afford it go for the Long Range to protect your future resale value as best as possible. Good luck with it and PM me if you want a referral code :)

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Only advice I would give is not to bother with the FSD as you probably won't keep the car long enough to ever fully use it.

While our M3 (sans FSD) was in service (more about that later) we had a loaner 2020 Model S Performance with Ludicrous Mode (fun!) and FSD (meh). To cut short: if FSD, in the current version, was a €1k max option I would buy it. If I had cash to throw away, I would also buy it. But in *my* opinion it is definitely not worth €6.5k. Not only it does not do what it claims (“Full Self-driving”), but what it actually does do, it does not very well. It is nice to have automatic lane changes, but only if you can rely they will happen—it aborts too often, causing confusion to cars behind. Or it silently ignores the request, again, causing confusion because of a short-duration turn signal given without an action. When it is empty, it works, but then again you do not need lane changes. It does not deal with exits/entrances or non-motorway roads.

It gets inactivated by tiny bit of muck on one of the cameras—had to clean them way too often. When it is inactive, but in auto-steer mode, it does not cancel autosteer when you put the turn signal on. That means you have to either cancel it, which also cancels cruise control, or override it by turning the wheel past the resistance point, which jerks the car.

Overall, it is far too immature to warrant that price, in my own, very personal opinion. I find the included autopilot very useful, though also a bit immature—eg., autosteer feels like someone learning to drive, inexperienced. But if you have the cash and want to get it, consider getting it after the purchase, as the taxation of that will save you money, as no VRT will be due on the 6.5k.

Tesla3 wrote: »
    [...]Which version

I strongly recommend LR, which I have, or Performance. The increase in battery capacity over SR+ is huge. Do not think that WLTP range represents real-world driving in Ireland, see CarWow test thread.

In my “normal” driving that includes plenty of motorway you should expect to easily make 320 km in LR, and you could push it to 370 km. That is Irish winter, summer range will be longer. SR+ will be significantly less, perhaps an owner can share their real-world experience.

PS. Also happy to share my referral code—PM me, please, or pick the code from the top of this page and then add yourself at the bottom to get your extra credit when your turn comes round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Getting a promotion in July which includes a company car, so I'm seriously considering the M3 LR. Obviously have to pay BIK over the €50,000 threshold, but it won't work out as too much for a pretty spectacular car!!

Just 2 queries though if anyone could help:
    - Does the VRT rebate come off the bottom line price that's on their design page, or is it already factored in?
    - What are the chances of getting this car by July if I order in the next few weeks (possibly a 'how long is a piece of string' question)?

Have myself tormented reading/watching reviews for this darn car already....I'll be a wreck by July!!

Was up in Sandyford today - got a home charger and chatted with the folks there. It seems there are lots and lots on their way, and for those of us lucky enough to have been contacted, or seen VINs in source code, looks like the cars will be in the UK first week of Feb and estimating mid-end Feb for delivery here.

Nearly there...

Would be great if future buyers used some referral codes (Please DM me if you like...) so we can all get some free supercharger miles! I had ordered mine before I realised you were required to order 'through' a referral code and couldn't add afterwards.

:-)

- What are the chances of getting this car by July if I order in the next few weeks (possibly a 'how long is a piece of string' question)?

I reckon good chance. The guys were saying today once they get the backlog dealt with they can just keep deliveries up non-stop. I reckon you would be safe enough to estimate c.3 months max once the year goes on.

Was up in Sandyford today - got a home charger and chatted with the folks there. It seems there are lots and lots on their way, and for those of us lucky enough to have been contacted, or seen VINs in source code, looks like the cars will be in the UK first week of Feb and estimating mid-end Feb for delivery here.

Nearly there...

Would be great if future buyers used some referral codes (Please DM me if you like...) so we can all get some free supercharger miles! I had ordered mine before I realised you were required to order 'through' a referral code and couldn't add afterwards.

:-)
    Did you get the new Gen 3 home charger

Only recently released

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I reckon good chance. The guys were saying today once they get the backlog dealt with they can just keep deliveries up non-stop. I reckon you would be safe enough to estimate c.3 months max once the year goes on.

This is tremendous news. Gives me time to convince my employers to up my car budget a wee bit, which shouldn't be an issue what with all the fuel savings/tax/toll/re-sale value/saving the earth arguments!

I shall be sure to tap someone up for a referral code once the decision is made.

Just got email that i have been matched with a car... finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

#metoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

#methree

#meFour

• Advertisement

Can someone who has gone through the next steps comment on:

-> Who/How to starts the conversation around finance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement