Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

jusmeig wrote: »
    Can someone who has gone through the next steps comment on:

-> Who/How to starts the conversation around finance?

I replied to the Guy I got the Email from, and he sent me the finance application form,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Chaz76 wrote: »
    I have a strange habit of never test driving a car before i buy it. I base my purchase totally on reviews and love the feeling when i pick the car up of seeing whether i was correct. Thankfully so far the system hasn't let me down!

Well we are all in the same boat, as they only had a SR+ to drive as a tester for the longest time.

Great to hear so many people getting matched, feel sorry for the chap who cancelled so close to the big deliveries. We really need to sort out some sort of cars and coffee in the summer for the boards.ie Tesla model 3 faithful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm slightly amazed that I got "matched" with everyone else despite ordering a factory tow hitch.

The cynic in me believes it won't turn up with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭teslad

Did you get the new Gen 3 home charger

Only recently released

I got Gen 2 but have enquired as to the arrival date of Gen 3! Keeping the box unopened!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

teslad wrote: »
    I got Gen 2 but have enquired as to the arrival date of Gen 3! Keeping the box unopened!!
    Any idea when they are available from sandyford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭teslad

Any idea when they are available from sandyford

Waiting to hear...will post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Maybe we were jinxed, but our M3 had a good few factory defects, some of which we noticed during the collection, the rest in the following few days. The good news is that they have been (mostly) fixed and the car is now better than it was when new. Of course, Tesla should have better QA in the first place, but considering everything else about this car, I did not mind having it fixed after the fact. So, check it well out and take photos. Make sure to have it noted down during the collection—do not take "this is within tolerance" talk unless you don't care. Spend another couple of days at home checking it out. Take more photos. Then make a service appointment in your app with a short description. You will get an email from Tesla. Reply to the email with the detail of what needs fixing and your photos. Turn up on the day of the appointment and remind them you sent an email. Enjoy the loaner car (Ludicrous if lucky) to realise that you made the the right choice by buying the M3 (yay) and to test FSD (meh) to realise that saving money on it was the right decision.

Here were our issues—open the attached composite photo and zoom-in to see the detail.
    • Misaligned boot door causing a dent in the rear bumper assembly and making closing it harder
    • Misaligned front bumper vs frunk
    • Bent door seal (the new one is better but still slightly bendy, I hope it settles)
    • Incompletely attached wing mirror exterior "skull-cap" cover
    • Internal cabling sticking out over the inside of a rear window

Let me repeat that the service we got was exemplary: polite, careful, and effective. I am very happy with the car. :) The ordering process and everything up to the delivery, on the other hand: yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

jusmeig wrote: »
    #meFour

#me 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm slightly amazed that I got "matched" with everyone else despite ordering a factory tow hitch.

The cynic in me believes it won't turn up with one.

I asked for a hitch as well. Apparently the hitch is thrown in the boot on collection from "stock", I was asked if I wanted it fitted but the installation is not that clean by removing under panels so I declined

krissovo wrote: »
    I asked for a hitch as well. Apparently the hitch is thrown in the boot on collection from "stock", I was asked if I wanted it fitted but the installation is not that clean by removing under panels so I declined

WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rafal wrote: »
    Maybe we were jinxed, but our M3 had a good few factory defects, some of which we noticed during the collection, the rest in the following few days. The good news is that they have been (mostly) fixed and the car is now better than it was when new. Of course, Tesla should have better QA in the first place, but considering everything else about this car, I did not mind having it fixed after the fact. So, check it well out and take photos. Make sure to have it noted down during the collection—do not take "this is within tolerance" talk unless you don't care. Spend another couple of days at home checking it out. Take more photos. Then make a service appointment in your app with a short description. You will get an email from Tesla. Reply to the email with the detail of what needs fixing and your photos. Turn up on the day of the appointment and remind them you sent an email. Enjoy the loaner car (Ludicrous if lucky) to realise that you made the the right choice by buying the M3 (yay) and to test FSD (meh) to realise that saving money on it was the right decision.

Here were our issues—open the attached composite photo and zoom-in to see the detail.
    • Misaligned boot door causing a dent in the rear bumper assembly and making closing it harder
    • Bent door seal (the new one is better but still slightly bendy, I hope it settles)

Let me repeat that the service we got was exemplary: polite, careful, and effective. I am very happy with the car. :) The ordering process and everything up to the delivery, on the other hand: yuck.

Mine is going in for it's service next week. Apart from the rear door panels being misaligned, there is a loose screw rolling around under the drivers seat that is driving me nuts. When I enquired as to whether I should be worried about that or not (surely it was holding something in place) they just said nah. I've a squeaky steering wheel too.

Didn't realise they gave a loaner, was expecting to be without it for a day or more (could be a lot of work involved in getting that screw back in place but they're ****ing doing it). Wouldn't mind a performance or long range for a day or two :-)

Didn't realise they gave a loaner, was expecting to be without it for a day or more (could be a lot of work involved in getting that screw back in place but they're ****ing doing it). Wouldn't mind a performance or long range for a day or two :-)

Ours needed a full week because of the bodyshop work on the gouged boot closure. I have thoroughly enjoyed having the 2020 Model S Performance loaner for the week, but I could not wait for the M3 to be back!

Apart from the insane acceleration of the 2020 Ludicrous/Ludicrous+ (yes, 0-100 in just under 3s), the heated steering wheel, and selectable softer suspension, Model S feels now like an old car: you are seated on a sofa in front of a piece of furniture in your granny’s flat. And it is very heavy...feels a bit like a Lincoln Towncar, but not as comfy—until you floor it, and then it goes Oh f&^% OMG!

When you get back to the M3, you feel the future has arrived: airy, spacious, great visibility front and sides, nimble for its acceleration with still a good bit of OMG, but not the surprise factor of the S.

Enjoy the loaner!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Got the same email as others....color me skeptical for a delivery in line with others who received this email in dribs and drabs. I'd be surprised if we ALL have our cars in the 3-4 weeks others have gotten theirs.

Did people just reply to the email with their documentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Yikes. Pretty bad to get that many defects. Is it a 2020 or 2019 version?

kev22185 wrote: »
    Got the same email as others....color me skeptical for a delivery in line with others who received this email in dribs and drabs. I'd be surprised if we ALL have our cars in the 3-4 weeks others have gotten theirs.

Did people just reply to the email with their documentation?

I did - received an automated response - they got plenty of pre Christmas practice I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

rduggy wrote: »
    Just got email that i have been matched with a car... finally

MeSix - I guess that's one more transporter filled for ferry from the UK (Blue SR+, ordered May 2019, reserved 2017) - paperwork returned by me today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Has anyone here ever rented a model 3 from Turo? I have a upcoming trip to America and tempted to rent one for a a few days to have a extended test drive.
    Working out around $135 a day with insurance from a reliable profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

krissovo wrote: »

Hol Up. Is someone getting confused with the two-part US hitch? The actual hitch bar can be stored in the boot, when needed it just slots into a special square hole on the chassis. I'm querying this because on the hitch ordering page, it stated that it can't be OEM fitted after market. I'm not sure if this because there's a software switch setting (towing? grip?) or if the exiting aftermarket process (removing panels and bumper) is too invasive and would affect warranty?

I decided to the spend my money on a tesle roof rack instead (in stock in Sandford today) and I'll get the guys there to fit it.

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    I decided to the spend my money on a tesle roof rack instead (in stock in Sandford today) and I'll get the guys there to fit it.

Have you seen Bjorn's recent video on this where they cracked the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

I have a VIN number now in the source code, no word directly from Tesla yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

finneys13 wrote: »
    I have a VIN number now in the source code, no word directly from Tesla yet

Congrats. When did you last check and when do think the vin arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

Munurty wrote: »
    Congrats. When did you last check and when do think the vin arrived?

Last checked it 2 or 3 days ago, not yesterday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Has anyone here ever rented a model 3 from Turo? I have a upcoming trip to America and tempted to rent one for a a few days to have a extended test drive.

Yep, I got one last month, and taking the same one when I'm over there in 2 weeks. A single motor LR - they don't make 'em anymore.

Yikes. Pretty bad to get that many defects. Is it a 2020 or 2019 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Hopefully they’ve made some improvements with the 2020. At least they fixed the issues fairly promptly anyway if we do run into trouble. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Got the email today that I've been matched to a VIN

22days after ordering

Is that a record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

wow - I know you love the Tesla, but for €48-65k I would be pretty disappointed by that boot and bonnet in particular. Coupled with that carwow LR 100-0% test of 440km (versus 560 claimed), and I’m keeping my money in my pocket for another while yet and not risk getting that quality and real world range.

One person above said they’re getting just 370km from their LR in normal driving, at a stretch and just 320km with comfort.
    SR+ real Irish ranges must be far lower, a usable 250-275km in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

sk8board wrote: »
    wow - I know you love the Tesla, but for €48-65k I would be pretty disappointed by that boot and bonnet in particular. Coupled with that carwow LR 100-0% test of 440km (versus 560 claimed), and I’m keeping my money in my pocket for another while yet and not risk getting that quality and real world range.

One person above said they’re getting just 370km from their LR in normal driving, at a stretch and just 320km with comfort.

When I visited Sandyford and enquired about the real world range of a LR they were very honest and said 400km to 450km. Everyone looking at any EV should know by now that the wltp is something that is forced on car companies to publish.

Got the email today that I've been matched to a VIN

22days after ordering

Is that a record?

Keep that one to yourself, you could get lynched round these parts....:D

• Advertisement

Range is dependent upon so many factors
    Wind speed and direction
    External Temp
    Rain
    Preconditioned or not
    Speed

And others

Only the ill informed would expect electric car range to be consistent irrespective of variables in the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

mouthful wrote: »
    Wind speed and direction
    External Temp
    Rain
    Preconditioned or not
    Speed

And others

Only the ill informed would expect electric car range to be consistent irrespective of variables in the above

i think carwow made a comment that most of them delivered 70-80% of the stated wltp range (the Niro was 90%), but that “its the same as you get from a diesel or petrol car” with their wltp mpg versus reality - except it’s not really - my cars stated mpg is 60mpg, and I’m getting 48-50 mpg - but that’s still 1,000km of comfortable usable range to a tank, (versus the 1,250/300 I should be getting?!).

€48k for an SR+ to get 250/275km of real usable range is not what people signed up for, unless people are really valuing the acceleration and the big screen.

i think carwow made a comment that most of them delivered 70-80% of the stated wltp range (the Niro was 90%), but that “its the same as you get from a diesel or petrol car” with their wltp mpg versus reality - except it’s not really - my cars stated mpg is 60mpg, and I’m getting 48-50 mpg - but that’s still 1,000km of comfortable usable range to a tank, (versus the 1,250/300 I should be getting?!).

€48k for an SR+ to get 250/275km of real usable range is not what people signed up for, unless people are really valuing the acceleration and the big screen.

Your not ready to drive electric or a tesla. These cars are not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Panel gaps and loose screws and wiring is totally unacceptable in a car that costs nearly 50k. From reading reviews online you'd think Tesla had gotten rid of these quality issues for 2020 but thats obviously not the case. They'll improve this stuff over the next few years like most new tech it's better to wait than to be an early adopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Yep, I got one last month, and taking the same one when I'm over there in 2 weeks. A single motor LR - they don't make 'em anymore.

Just booked a LR model 3 , no doubt I'll be placing an order when I get back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

That's enough range to get anywhere in the country with 1 short stop, that you'd be making anyway . Don't see any issue with that range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

We rented one from San Bruno (just outside SFO) for about 3 weeks in August/September 2019 and loved it. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

mouthful wrote: »
    Wind speed and direction
    External Temp
    Rain
    Preconditioned or not
    Speed

And others

For new to EV drivers - they expect to be able to trust the range to a degree.

The Tesla is a headwreck in this regard as they can do well in summer. You get a shock in winter.

Wouldn't stop me wanting one though as I now know the deal.

If I bought one not knowing the situation I'd be annoyed.

Especially as in this house the Tesla would be used for all the distance work.

You think I'm going to sit into an old diesel for a trip to Galway or Waterford and leave a Model 3 with white interior and THAT roof behind.

Not a (swear word) chance :):):)

Will be having to buy on 2nd hand market - so if someone can get an LR with white paint and white seats that would be awesome.

The SR+ does look tight on range and the issue is that the 50 kwh battery is looking small.

Compare to the Korean 64 kwh machines - 14 kwh extra battery.

That's 42 extra miles if both the Korean 64 kwh and the Model 3 do 3 miles per kwh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Panel gaps and loose screws and wiring is totally unacceptable in a car that costs nearly 50k. From reading reviews online you'd think Tesla had gotten rid of these quality issues for 2020 but thats obviously not the case. They'll improve this stuff over the next few years like most new tech it's better to wait than to be an early adopter.

I would suspect that the Chinese would produce a better car than an American factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To me my two preferred EVs on the Market right now is....

Kia if you want to buy for sensible reasons and a sensible purchase. eNiro and eSoul are both nice cars.

Tesla Model 3 if you want epic cool/wow factor.

eNiro is nice but it's the Tesla that left a real impression for me and the car I think of daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xCiaránx

No email here, nor do I have a VIN. The edit button is gone at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

on the order details page we were all directed to on Christmas eve, i have ticks on 3 of the 4 sections:

Delivery Location (Ticked)
    Payment Method (not ticked)
    Trade-in (Ticked)
    Registration (Ticked)

i cant seem to get it to tick on the "payment method" when i go through the options to chose Tesla arranged load. Also, the AIB picture doesn't load on the button - not sure if that means anything but its not encouraging!

did anyone else have this happen?

thanks!

Those are my numbers, 320-370 km, Irish winter time, LR AWD. There is a very simple reason for them being lower than the CarWow test: no one wants to run empty and have to push the car. This range is comfortable, ie. no need to start full (95-98%) and no need to go below 10%. This way I am not relying on excessively long charging, and I have a good buffer in case things go wrong. I expect SR+ to be much lower, but I have no first-hand data to share.

Would I consider buying another car? No way. M3 LR is by far the best car for me. By far—but I have driven a Leaf 30 kWh for 4 years prior to that.

MadYaker wrote: »

That is your perspective. For many here, and definitely for I, being a reasonably early adopter brings many advantages, not to mention the pleasure of driving this car and doing my bit for the environment. Early adopters pave the path for those who will follow, and the mass market eventually. I enjoy that.

I would not hesitate to buy it again, even though I wish the quality assurance was better. When I was ordering it I did my research and I was well aware of issues arising that get fixed in service. I was not aware of the shoddy order process and the delays, though.

Besides, my previous cars (and not just the Leaf) came with all sorts of issues that garages would not want to fix at all. Some of Leaf’s in-car software never worked at all! Tesla’s take was on another level, and I am very pleased with their service level—and happy to share my experience, so that others are informed to make a conscious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How much is a reasonable spec (say Bmw 3 series Sport spec) Model 3 new?
    How do we compare with the rest of Europe? With lower VRT we should be in line with other countries more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Lumen wrote: »
    Have you seen Bjorn's recent video on this where they cracked the roof?

Was that not a Bosch roof rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

on the order details page we were all directed to on Christmas eve, i have ticks on 3 of the 4 sections:

Delivery Location (Ticked)
    Payment Method (not ticked)
    Trade-in (Ticked)
    Registration (Ticked)

i cant seem to get it to tick on the "payment method" when i go through the options to chose Tesla arranged load. Also, the AIB picture doesn't load on the button - not sure if that means anything but its not encouraging!

did anyone else have this happen?

thanks!

I am the same. Don't think it matters. No email yet but told over phone I have been vin matched. Finance form completed but still not ticked on account page.

Another transporter with 8 model 3 early this morning....coming thick and fast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I cancelled on the 4th of January and I still don’t have my deposit back. Calling just puts me on hold and emailing them results in no response.

Anyone else have experience if the deposit refund takes 2 weeks? Is that normal? It does continue the trend of a terrible customer experience even after cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

Reag wrote: »
    Finance form completed but still not ticked on account page.

When you say finance form, do you just mean you have selected the options or is there some separate form i missed :eek:

Yurple wrote: »
    I cancelled on the 4th of January and I still don’t have my deposit back. Calling just puts me on hold and emailing them results in no response.

Anyone else have experience if the deposit refund takes 2 weeks? Is that normal? It does continue the trend of a terrible customer experience even after cancelling.

I had to cancel and re-order as I had forgotten to use a referral code. The refund was supposed to take up to a month but I had it within a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement