Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Odauto

I’m also going to order a Model 3 today.

I know someone sent me a referral code. Week or 2 back, so if that’s still valid, please advise, otherwise if anyone else has a code....

Home Charging options;

What’s the best suited for a Model 3?

Is the Electric Ireland offering sufficient, or is there a more Tesla suited option available?

Here you go

https://ts.la/jim97710

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Tesla3 wrote: »
    Ok am ordering tomorrow at 8 pm-

Anyone who wants to share their referal code with me should do so before then- you will be assigned a number according to when received and siri will pick a random number for the winner

Notions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭sk8board

MrBongo your car do what you wish with your own car. The model 3 can use some individuality, would not be to my taste, or the tast of most sighted people, but YOLO.

Love carwow. Drag races are a nonsense beyond 120kmph for 99% of owners really, so the m3p is (yet again), a complete and utter bargain if you are in that price market.
    It’ll be very interesting to see how much it affects sales of the upcoming bmw M3, which is going to struggle to justify its €110k price versus the €65k m3p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Having never seen a model 3 out in the open until yesterday, I’ve now seen three in the last 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Having never seen a model 3 out in the open until yesterday, I’ve now seen three in the last 24 hours!
    Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

I know someone sent me a referral code. Week or 2 back, so if that’s still valid, please advise, otherwise if anyone else has a code....

Home Charging options;

Is the Electric Ireland offering sufficient, or is there a more Tesla suited option available?
    Electric Ireland offer charger + installation for 749€. Apparently they’re booked out with installations until the end of Feb though. Also, the charger they have in stock does not come with its own cable to connect to the car (unlike the Tesla Wall Charger).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Electric Ireland offer charger + installation for 749€. Apparently they’re booked out with installations until the end of Feb though. Also, the charger they have in stock does not come with its own cable to connect to the car (unlike the Tesla Wall Charger).
    Any idea what make / type they fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How much are the Tesla wall chargers? And who would install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

€550 I think and any Electrician registered with RECI can install it and sign off on paperwork for your €600 grant

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

The tesla approved folks seem to be quite expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sk8board wrote: »
    Love carwow. Drag races are a nonsense beyond 120kmph for 99% of owners really, so the m3p is (yet again), a complete and utter bargain if you are in that price market.
    It’ll be very interesting to see how much it affects sales of the upcoming bmw M3, which is going to struggle to justify its €110k price versus the €65k m3p. Throw in a few years worth of petrol and tax, and it’s effectively half the price.
    Bmw m3 owners are also already used to poor range too!

I have to keep checking my decision to go with the LR AWD version over the P (for the tow hitch, the cheapness and the smaller wheels).

I have read that the AWD accelerates "the same" at "highway speed" as the P, but a little digging shows that to be false:

Specifically from Sep 2018
    30-50mph:
    LR AWD: 1.5, P: 1.2

50-70mph:
    LR AWD: 2.1, P: 1.7

Now things have probably changed a bit since then but it'll do.

Note that the AWD is 0.4 seconds slower 50-70mph! I've made a terrible mistake!

So I look up some in-gear acceleration times for quick cars and find that a 2008 BMW M3 does

IN-GEAR TIMES (3RD)
    30-50mph 3.1
    50-70mph 3.0

So the Model 3 AWD takes 0.9 seconds less to get from 50-70mph than a 2008 BMW M3 in more or less the right gear. I guess you could probably put the BMW in second but nobody drives up to 110kph in second gear, do they?

These cars are mental.

Sources:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/performance-vs-dual-motor-highway-speed.128974/

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/3-series/14170/mercedes-benz-c63-amg-v-bmw-m3-saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭teslad

donogh5 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about when the new Wall Connector is going to be available here, please?

Want to get it installed before delivery, but not much point ordering the old one, especially when it's the same price.

Tesla told me there are no plans to bring into non-US territories at the moment. So we are Gen 2 all the way here for foreseeable future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It’ll be very interesting to see how much it affects sales of the upcoming bmw M3, which is going to struggle to justify its €110k price versus the €65k m3p. Throw in a few years worth of petrol and tax, and it’s effectively half the price.

Totally this, I realized this about 6 months ago. I am on the waiting list for the new M3 and have the old (current) one. The M3p just walks all over it on all metrics except sound and that old perennial """feel""". However once you get over yourself and stop trying to sound like a EVO reviewer you realize that in the real world, nice quick steering, great traction and acceleration are all that really matter. The practically free running costs are a added bonus.

The new bmw m3 will be 4wd and more like 120k starting meaning 130k by the time you put the comp pack on etc. There is very little talk about it. The big grill has not gone down well, and I would say the performance figures are nowhere near the M3p. At twice the price this is going to be a glaring fault. They will likely go down the "true drivers car" marketing road. Last of the ICE gems and all that.

Dont get me wrong the BMW is a fantastic car, but that entire segment of car (the attainable daily performance car) has been redefined by the tesla. If only the tesla looked more dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭teslad

EVGuy wrote: »
    The tesla approved folks seem to be quite expensive.

Totally agree. My electrician who’s registered reckoned he will do it in a couple hours. The expensive bit may be getting the cable out.

Home Charging options;

My code is still valid

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

teslad wrote: »
    Tesla told me there are no plans to bring into non-US territories at the moment. So we are Gen 2 all the way here for foreseeable future!

Can someone explain the advantage of the new one being WiFi enabled? I mean the car is WiFi enabled, so you’ll see charging info that way, so what’s the benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The M3P would give an M5 a run for its money tbh. From 0 - 100 kph anyway. M5s are 150k now. Though I suspect most people who are looking at buying an new M3 or M5 wouldn't be interested in an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Can someone explain the advantage of the new one being WiFi enabled? I mean the car is WiFi enabled, so you’ll see charging info that way, so what’s the benefit?

You can get the lowdown between Gen 2 and Gen 3 in this video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I saw one in rural Waterford today. Wonder was it collected today.

I think it was red, but looked almost wine.

• Advertisement

Any idea what make / type they fit.
    The one they had in stock was basically a CCS Type 2 socket by the sounds of it. You’d just have to use the supplied cables that come with the car to plug into it then.

The Tesla chargers are €530 on the Online Tesla store. Ordered mine from there and got delivered within 5 days. Just getting the local electrician to install. Anyone who’s registered with the SEAI will do. Doesn’t have to be Tesla recommended as those guys are only around the Dublin area anyway.

The Tesla chargers are €530 on the Online Tesla store. Ordered mine from there and got delivered within 5 days. Just getting the local electrician to install. Anyone who’s registered with the SEAI will do. Doesn’t have to be Tesla recommended as those guys are only around the Dublin area anyway.

Is there any benefit of the Tesla charger over the Electric Ireland charger? Does it charge a Tesla faster/better?

I’m thinking about the future if we ever add a 2nd non Tesla EV or in the future if we replaced the Model 3 with a non Tesla.

Or have I got it all wrong and a Tesla charger would also charge a non Tesla EV? (I’m aware of the Tesla Supercharger only working with a Tesla, does this also apply to their home charger?)

Is there any benefit of the Tesla charger over the Electric Ireland charger? Does it charge a Tesla faster/better?

I’m thinking about the future if we ever add a 2nd non Tesla EV or in the future if we replaced the Model 3 with a non Tesla.

Or have I got it all wrong and a Tesla charger would also charge a non Tesla EV? (I’m aware of the Tesla Supercharger only working with a Tesla, does this also apply to their home charger?)

"The wall connector uses a standard Type 2 plug so if the dip switches are set correctly any car with Type 2 socket should be able to charge with one."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The Tesla charger is type 2 but you can buy an adapter if you want to use it with a Leaf. It works without an adapter on cars with a CCS charger.

Here's a video that explains how it works:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Collection postponed from Tuesday till Monday week to give the SEAI time to get their finger out. Don’t mind waiting a few days more and have to give it to the lads in Sandyford, since vin was assigned they’ve been very good at staying in touch and keeping me informed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

The one they had in stock was basically a CCS Type 2 socket by the sounds of it. You’d just have to use the supplied cables that come with the car to plug into it then.

Do yourself a favour and install a tethered charger, so you don’t have to plug and unplug the charger end of the cable repeatedly. Much nicer when you come home to just plug one end.

If you don’t get the Tesla one, that is you use any Type 2 one, you’ll need to unlock the chargeport first. Tesla plug has a button that uses RF to signal to the car to open the port. You can get non-Tesla plugs with that button, that’s what I have at the moment. Like this one: https://www.evchargeking.com/en/tesla-charging-cable-pigtail-single-phase-32a

There’s no difference in charging speeds as long as you install a 32A charger, meaning 7.2 kW power. Don’t get a 16A unit.

Well,

I've just ordered a SR+ Model 3 (in White)

Thanks for all the referal codes, but it was Fitzgeme who sent me a code 2 weeks ago that gets the nod.

Hopefully it's a good time to buy with the potential slow in demand in the U.K. due to the end of their current registration period.

What sort of trade in options do Tesla offer? Do they offer a scrapple allowance?

have a 2006 320d (probably fit for scrapple at this stage), and thinking the Tesla will probably replace it, though happy to keep it til September when teh tax runs out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

What sort of trade in options do Tesla offer? Do they offer a scrapple allowance?

have a 2006 320d (probably fit for scrapple at this stage), and thinking the Tesla will probably replace it, though happy to keep it til September when teh tax runs out...

Fill out this form and they give you a trade in price

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/tradein

they’ll be a huge BIK fleet car, you’ll soon see them up and down every motorway in Ireland with their samples in the boot :p

• Advertisement

Totally this, I realized this about 6 months ago. I am on the waiting list for the new M3 and have the old (current) one. The M3p just walks all over it on all metrics except sound and that old perennial """feel""". However once you get over yourself and stop trying to sound like a EVO reviewer you realize that in the real world, nice quick steering, great traction and acceleration are all that really matter. The practically free running costs are a added bonus.

The new bmw m3 will be 4wd and more like 120k starting meaning 130k by the time you put the comp pack on etc. There is very little talk about it. The big grill has not gone down well, and I would say the performance figures are nowhere near the M3p. At twice the price this is going to be a glaring fault. They will likely go down the "true drivers car" marketing road. Last of the ICE gems and all that.

Dont get me wrong the BMW is a fantastic car, but that entire segment of car (the attainable daily performance car) has been redefined by the tesla. If only the tesla looked more dramatic.

There’s definitely better ways of dropping €60k on feel

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

How does car registration work? I see from pictures on here that the reg’s seem to be for different counties. I always thought it was based on where car was bought? So in Teslas case though would be Dublin

rduggy wrote: »
    How does car registration work? I see from pictures on here that the reg’s seem to be for different counties. I always thought it was based on where car was bought? So in Teslas case though would be Dublin

I think cars are registered online with the owners name and address and allocated a county reg appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Lumen wrote: »
    I think cars are registered online with the owners name and address and allocated a county reg appropriately.

Correct, at least in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yes, it's the registered owners registered address.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

Lumen wrote: »

Makes sense thanks - was something hersf asked about . Had never crossed my mind

rduggy wrote: »

I only ordered about 2 hours ago, and it asks you to provide registration address as well as a scan of drivers licence. It also mentioned once registration details are added, they cannot be changed by Tesla afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

There’s definitely better ways of dropping €60k on feel

Stick to the Golf so.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

June 9th order. Was told over phone I had been vin matched. But no email and no vin in source code. Whatever about reliability of latter, did everyone else who were told verbally they had a vin. get an email?

Based on experiences to date, I struggle to trust Tesla sales be they in Dublin, UK or Netherlands.

Reag wrote: »
    June 9th order. Was told over phone I had been vin matched. But no email and no vin in source code. Whatever about reliability of latter, did everyone else who were told verbally they had a vin. get an email?

Based on experiences to date, I struggle to trust Tesla sales be they in Dublin, UK or Netherlands.

I have Vin in source but no call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Never got a call just an email to sign and return grant form. People are saying a month delay because of SEAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

jusmeig wrote: »
    Never got a call just an email to sign and return grant form. People are saying a month delay because of SEAI?

I am the same. Did they call you?

mouthful wrote: »
    I am the same. Did they call you?

Nah no call, but in fairness I only returned email Thursday. I need them to call...ain't got no bleedin money to pay for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Nah no call, but in fairness I only returned email Thursday. I need them to call...ain't got no bleedin money to pay for it :)

Welcome to my world!

Definitely allow 3 weeks for SEAI at the moment. My delivery postponed a week due them. Grants only started getting processed again 6th Jan so there’s a back log

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

I rang them. They said vin matched. Said expect about a month until delivery. Sorted finance form. But no email about seai grant so that's not started.

Reag wrote: »
    I rang them. They said vin matched. Said expect about a month until delivery. Sorted finance form. But no email about seai grant so that's not started.

Arg...I was on hold for half the day last time I tried that. What's their email response time like?

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Definitely allow 3 weeks for SEAI at the moment. My delivery postponed a week due them. Grants only started getting processed again 6th Jan so there’s a back log

Did you kick it out or did they kick the date out. 15 days of 15 working days?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

So the winner is Mouthful he/she was number 23

Pity teslà do not allow entry of multiple referral codes and everyone could have gotten a few free charges!

• Advertisement

Did you kick it out or did they kick the date out. 15 days of 15 working days?

I got a very apologetic email from Cillian yesterday asking me to check my order page for an amended delivery date due to grant not being back. He said they were leaving a little buffer and if the grant was in earlier they may amend it a little earlier but tbh 6 day delay doesn’t really bother me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement