Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Sitting in the dark currently having the charger installed to the 3 phase in work. Probably should’ve thought a little more about it rather than leaving the business without power for an hour!

Give the electrician a pair of marigolds, he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

Give the electrician a pair of marigolds, he'll be grand.

Haha could see the blood drain from his face when he saw the rats nest of wires from previous electricians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

dbloke wrote: »
    They say it takes about 2 weeks to sort with AIB currently.

Jasus...that's crap. Someone said they got approved for finance in 2 days a few weeks back. Here was me getting excited.

I don't understand how u get the call to arrange finance when not VIN matched and I am VIN matched and need finance, and they wont call me??!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How do they know you need finance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How do they know you need finance?

When you order, they ask if you’ll be needing finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

dbloke wrote: »
    Still no VIN match, but got the call from Tesla this morning to arrange finance. They say it takes about 2 weeks to sort with AIB currently.

Need to sell current car, the quote from Tesla for trade-in was as bad as rumoured. Worse actually!

When did you order ? How long were you waiting ?
    Still no idea of what the average wait time is

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Keggers74

I did a test drive on the weekend and received a follow up email from this morning stating that the current expected time from order to delivery is 14 weeks. The guy in the store on Saturday said best guess was March, but I suspect the 14 weeks is closer to reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

jusmeig wrote: »
    Jasus...that's crap. Someone said they got approved for finance in 2 days a few weeks back. Here was me getting excited.

I don't understand how u get the call to arrange finance when not VIN matched and I am VIN matched and need finance, and they wont call me??!! :mad:

In store over xmas i filled in online application was approved instantly. Took Tesla few days to update my account though

rduggy wrote: »
    In store over xmas i filled in online application was approved instantly. Took Tesla few days to update my account though

How does it appear in the account? All I see now is the message that they are drafting my contract (since 24th of Dec)

• Advertisement

How does it appear in the account? All I see now is the message that they are drafting my contract (since 24th of Dec)

I saw the box get the black tick as my trade-in was still not sorted. Now thats sorted i only see the drafting contract page too

How long after placing the order are folks waiting for any sort of communication from Tesla? (Besides the order confirmation email that’s auto sent after placing the order).

Or is it just radio silence until the VIN email or a request for finance application?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

How long after placing the order are folks waiting for any sort of communication from Tesla? (Besides the order confirmation email that’s auto sent after placing the order).

Or is it just radio silence until the VIN email or a request for finance application?

Nothing from ordering on 18th October till I received the email confirming they had matched a car to me on the 16th Jan. I'm not financing though.

Seems to match up to the roughly 14 weeks I was told in the showroom last week. (with the additional 2-3 weeks for SEAI processing).

Fingers crossed there's a slowdown in U.K. demand over the next few months which might speed things up over here...

Has anyone considered stick on reg plates? Are they legal in Ireland?

Looks 100 times better than standard plates, and surely would help (even just a little) with the overall aerodynamics of the car (certainly the front one anyway).

QTGh1Nw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

once they met the font and size guides i wouldn't see why it would be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

diegowhite wrote: »
    How much were they offering to average market value?

A fraction over 50%. Probably penalised me for the Kerry reg too! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

(7) Subject to the provisions of subparagraph (8), the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited, in the case of a vehicle which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and, in the case of any other vehicle, on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

I just found a Vin in my source code after looking on in envy for the last week.

I think I'm the last of the May 2019 orders left to be allocted a Vin.

boards.ie Tesla Model 3 orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Looks 100 times better than standard plates, and surely would help (even just a little) with the overall aerodynamics of the car (certainly the front one anyway).

QTGh1Nw.jpg

From what I have seens the plate holders (the ones that say All Wheel Drive) are pre installed and drilled. They look grand. The stick on plate tend not to weather well.

Munurty wrote: »
    I just found a Vin in my source code after looking on in envy for the last week.

Where do you find your source code?

• Advertisement

I called them up and I got through straight away.
    I had choose Cash purchase (either by mistake or because i thought it might be quicker...)
    They are sending an application form now and updating my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

Kicha wrote: »
    Looks like this is how to check if Vin number is allocated or not

"Login to your Tesla Account
    Click "Manage"
    when that page loads, right click and choose "View Source"
    Hold CTRL and press F to search the page.
    Type 5YJ
    If you get a result then thats the VIN number that has been allocated to your account.
    Interestingly some of the people that recieved cars last week didn't have a VIN in the view source, so its not a solid method, but can give an idication of some movement on your account."

See above

Munurty wrote: »
    See above

tried that and got back loads of 5YJ results, but only ordered on Saturday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pickup delayed from next Tuesday till 4th Feb according to my account. Haven’t heard from Tesla or AIB though.

tried that and got back loads of 5YJ results, but only ordered on Saturday!!

You should be able to copy and paste the vin number out and got to this website to check it https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/

Someone in the UK who ordered on Saturday has reported finding a VIN in their source code today so who knows you could be in luck :)

I also got the attached SMS off them today, but would assume this is a fairly generic text they send out to new orders.

All boxes are ticked except for the finance one, but when I expand it, it says next step that they will contact me about the finance!

I’m thinking would it be worth calling them to get the finance ball rolling ASAP so as to minimise any future delays, just in case they are expecting a surplus of stock into Ireland!

I also got the attached SMS off them today, but would assume this is a fairly generic text they send out to new orders.

All boxes are ticked except for the finance one, but when I expand it, it says next step that they will contact me about the finance!

I’m thinking would it be worth calling them to get the finance ball rolling ASAP so as to minimise any future delays, just in case they are expecting a surplus of stock into Ireland!

I would if i was you, no need to have anything cause extra delays

When they have a car for you it will be 4-5 weeks so plenty of time for finance. Its only takes a couple of days so long as you have all the usual stuff available and ready to go...proof of address, PPS numbers, bank account statements, accounts etc etc.

Hope on amazon and get a wireless charger and a sentry mode USB and a music USB and a few other bits and bobs. Its all you can do to stay sane during the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

For what it's worth, when I check in chrome, no vin found. But in Firefox, its there. Slightly anomalous. It checks out on vin decoder. Check with different browsers.

Where does one find the cash price for application?
    The figure on the booking order is less the 2k or before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Where does one find the cash price for application?
    The figure on the booking order is less the 2k or before?

That’s the full figure, you can take your deposit off it.

That’s the full figure, you can take your deposit off it.

Kwel, I was right so.
    Another form filled out...the drafting continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lottyb

Where do you put in the referral code when ordering?

I am looking to order this week but I saw someone mention that you can't add it afterwards so want to make sure I do it upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

lottyb wrote: »
    Where do you put in the referral code when ordering?

I am looking to order this week but I saw someone mention that you can't add it afterwards so want to make sure I do it upfront.

You have to buy it via a referral link, I'll PM you one :)

You don't go to the website and add a referral code.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Was it one of you cruising in a white (SR+?) 3 along the "outer ring road" heading North yesterday about 19:20?

Lovely car, I was amazed how bright/distictive the tail lights are and the brake lights are face melting.

If so, I was the stalker on the large black motorcycle giving the thumbs up. ;)

In terms of the charger - is there any reason i shouldn't go with the Tesla one? Electrician was quoting me for Zappi he said its the most popular. But tbh i hate the look

In terms of the charger - is there any reason i shouldn't go with the Tesla one? Electrician was quoting me for Zappi he said its the most popular. But tbh i hate the look

No reason I know of not to. I have one almost 2 years now without issue. Some people go with Zappi if they have PV solar panels as it can be configured to charge the car from them (presumably as opposed to the hot water). I wonder if you install a battery PV system does that even matter though.

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    No reason I know of not to. I have one almost 2 years now without issue. Some people go with Zappi if they have PV solar panels as it can be configured to charge the car from them (presumably as opposed to the hot water). I wonder if you install a battery PV system does that even matter though.

I have solar panels - would be handy if that was possible. The electrician said that because he wont be supplying unit there wont be a warranty on it from him, sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

I stupidly didn't use a referral code when I ordered mine so i'd appreciate the free miles if someone is ordering one. Just PM me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its really down to what you want/need from the charge point and what else is running in your house in relation to high power devices.

The Zappi (and others) have some additional built in features that make it more flexible than the Tesla Wall Connector but if you are happy with the Tesla it will charge the car the very same as any other charge point.

The extra stuff that the Zappi has is Solar PV integration and whole house load sensing which gives the ability to add extra charge points later for 2 EV's and run electric showers alongside it without a priority switch.

Do you have an electric shower or heat pump or anything else high powered in your house?

KCross wrote: »
    Its really down to what you want/need from the charge point and what else is running in your house in relation to high power devices.

The Zappi (and others) have some additional built in features that make it more flexible than the Tesla Wall Connector but if you are happy with the Tesla it will charge the car the very same as any other charge point.

The extra stuff that the Zappi has is Solar PV integration and whole house load sensing which gives the ability to add extra charge points later for 2 EV's and run electric showers alongside it without a priority switch.

Do you have an electric shower or heat pump or anything else high powered in your house?

Just one electic shower which is never ever used (twice is 4 years) more of a backup incase we have issue with heating

Just one electic shower which is never ever used (twice is 4 years) more of a backup incase we have issue with heating

And chance you'd add Solar in the future?
    If not, the Tesla Wall Connector will do you fine.

If you get 2 EV's down the road you might have to adjust things a bit but the Tesla WC will do fine for now I'd say.

Do make sure that the shower never gets used while the car is charging... even if it is once in 4 years it will blow your fuse... if your lucky it will just be the switch on your board... if you're unlucky it could be the fuse at the meter which requires you to call out ESB and they will charge you for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

just on this topic lads...i'm not entirely sure whether I'd need a priority switch or not. Our house was built in 2016. We've a pump for our showers. How do I know if my setup would require a priority switch? Trying to keep costs down and I've heard stories on here of electricians installing priority switches where they weren't needed, bumping up the price.

KCross wrote: »
    And chance you'd add Solar in the future?
    If not, the Tesla Wall Connector will do you fine.

If you get 2 EV's down the road you might have to adjust things a bit but the Tesla WC will do fine for now I'd say.

Do make sure that the shower never gets used while the car is charging... even if it is once in 4 years it will blow your fuse... if your lucky it will just be the switch on your board... if you're unlucky it could be the fuse at the meter which requires you to call out ESB and they will charge you for that privilege.

I have solar atm - might ask electrician about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dropped my car into the service centre this morning, should have it back later today. Had to get the Luas into work, no model S performance loaner for me :-(

• Advertisement

kev22185 wrote: »
    just on this topic lads...i'm not entirely sure whether I'd need a priority switch or not. Our house was built in 2016. We've a pump for our showers. How do I know if my setup would require a priority switch? Trying to keep costs down and I've heard stories on here of electricians installing priority switches where they weren't needed, bumping up the price.

The distinction is, does the water come from your hot water tank or does the shower itself heat it?

If its from your hot water tank the pump is just boosting pressure and is only using a few hundred watts.
    If its a pumped electric shower the shower itself is heating the water and that can be as much as 9800 watts!!!!

If its the latter you need a priority switch. If its the former you dont.

FYI: The Model 3 will be pulling an additional 7000 watts or so and a typical house fuse max's out at ~14,000 watts...... 9800+7000>14000 -->fuse blows unless you have a priority switch to prevent it!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

kev22185 wrote: »

Here are my two cents as an existing owner of an EV for a few years. My house was also built in 2016 and I also have a pump for showers, however the heated water comes from a tank (gas powered), so there's no spikes in electricity usage and I don't have a priority switch.

I have a Zappi charger and set it up to charge at night, sometimes with a dishwasher and a washer running at the same time - no problems so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

One minor advantage of the Tesla charger is you can press a button on the charger to open your charge port.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    One minor advantage of the Tesla charger is you can press a button on the charger to open your charge port.

another is it looks better than most of the chargers, slick looking. Its out the front of my house and the wife didnt want anything funny looking out there.

another is it looks better than most of the chargers, slick looking. Its out the front of my house and the wife didnt want anything funny looking out there.

I feel stupid admitting it but i dont want to use a cheap looking charger for my new 50k car lol. Think ill just go woth Tesla charger even if zappi is meant to be better :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement