Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Anyone heard about a 3k price drop!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Anyone heard about a 3k price drop!!?

No because there hasn’t been one.

hatrack wrote:
    No because there hasn’t been one.

Brother in law bought top model up north and just txt me to see if he should cancel and reorder to get the new 3k discount!??

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Brother in law bought top model up north and just txt me to see if he should cancel and reorder to get the new 3k discount!??

That’s the UK. They adjusted UK prices when they launched in the remaining RHD markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

jimmyging wrote: »
    I think I am going to take the plunge and go for basic config ,theres lots of great information on here ,keep it going .referral code please anyone ?
    Not allowed publicly post referral codes apparently, according to Tesla so PM sent instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Yurple wrote: »
    550 per month ???

The Tesla quotes various companies not that dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

unkel wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with that. A lot of Tesla Model 3 buyers will have contemplated buying a G20 BMW 3-series. In any form. Petrol / diesel or PHEV.

I'd definitely agree with you. I've got two cars at the moment. A 2 series Gran Tourer (diesel) and a Leaf I've had for over 8.5 years now. So a long time EV driver but do appreciate the practical benefits of an ICE engine and a good family car!

I've been thinking what to replace the Gran Tourer with next year when PCP is up. For me it's a 50/50 toss up between a Model 3 and the new BMW 330e with 12 kWh battery & xtraboost :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No referral links in thread please
    Use PM

• Advertisement

I see the Model 3 has an 11kW on board charger.

Can it pull the full 11kW DC from a 22kW AC unit does anyone know?

I presume it would right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed it has 16A 3 phase AC charging so it can pull 11kW AC from a 22kW AC 32A unit ;)

unkel wrote:
    Indeed it has 16A 3 phase AC charging so it can pull 11kW AC from a 22kW AC 32A unit

Ah didn't know that, thanks. Would that make it slightly more efficient than say an Ioniq which would lose some energy via the DC inverter?

No it's the same thing, both cars have to rectify the AC from the charger into DC going into the battery

Slow charging: AC from slow AC charger rectified to DC of battery. All new EVs now have at least 32A single phase (7.2kW) or 16A three phase (11kW), some have 32A three phase (22kW)

Fast charging: DC from fast DC charger to DC of battery. CHAdeMO, CCS or Tesla Supercharger protocols

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Zenith74 wrote: »
    What are we looking for in the two articles?

Ireland invests 6 times more into EV charging than much larger UK. I think point it that UK is getting some token network while Ireland is pretty serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

September1 wrote: »
    Ireland invests 6 times more into EV charging than much larger UK. I think point it that UK is getting some token network while Ireland is pretty serious.

I got that the U.K. are spending 2.8m for 50 points where as Ireland’s spending 20m for “more than” 50. Which we all know will be 51 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I got that the U.K. are spending 2.8m for 50 points where as Ireland’s spending 20m for “more than” 50. Which we all know will be 51 ;)

Ah now that would make sense! Early morning haze there :rolleyes:

To be fair £2.8m sounds quite cheap for installation and maintenance of 50 fast chargers? Wonder if that's 50 new locations, or 50 chargers in say 15-20 new locations.

To be fair to the ESB, they are upgrading 50 existing locations to multi-charger sites (2-8 vehicles) and another 50 AC chargers are to have DC fast chargers added (so 100 locations, maybe 200-250 chargers?) and provide the electricity free-of-charge at quite a few slow charge locations which all seem to be pretty busy these days. So not exactly apples and apples.

Correcto. It’s actually for the same number of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dagryl

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Ah now that would make sense! Early morning haze there :rolleyes:

To be fair £2.8m sounds quite cheap for installation and maintenance of 50 fast chargers? Wonder if that's 50 new locations, or 50 chargers in say 15-20 new locations.

To be fair to the ESB, they are upgrading 50 existing locations to multi-charger sites (2-8 vehicles) and another 50 AC chargers are to have DC fast chargers added (so 100 locations, maybe 200-250 chargers?) and provide the electricity free-of-charge at quite a few slow charge locations which all seem to be pretty busy these days. So not exactly apples and apples.

200 charger for 20m. 100,000 per charger. Looks very much like Irish investment. :)
    Recently I read about SpaceX Starlink. Estimated total cost is 10 bln$ to cover all the planet with fast, low ping broadband, where Ireland is planning to invest 3 bln€ to cover our state.

• Advertisement

I understand your point.

smokybacon wrote: »
    I understand your point.

Isn’t 50 for €20 a cost of 500000 each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Irelands €20m isnt for 50 chargers. Its much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

First post although followed this thread for awhile. Looking for advice from previous Tesla S owners. I have ordered my Model 3 and decided to check out insurance to avoid surprises when eventually get it. My plan was to keep my current car, a 7 seater (6 person family) as well as the Model 3. But cannot find an irish insurance company who will quote for a car without at least a 1 years NCB. Many brokers won't take the business either. There is a full NCB on the 7 seater but cannot be used on the Model 3 unless I get rid of it. Basically, to insure a second car, you need a NCB earned on a second car. I know this is to avoid "fronting" but anyone who thinks you would buy a tesla to give to a young driver is crazy.

I assume there must be tesla s drivers that would have bought their car as a second car. Can anyone advise of any Irish company that can quote if no NCB brought to the table? If it is largely impossible to do so, I will need the long lead time until I get my model 3 to convince my wife she needs to replace her little runaround with a 7 seater.

BTW for those interested, invoices up to 174 as of last Saturday.

Welcome to boards!
    Reag wrote: »
    I will need the long lead time until I get my model 3 to convince my wife she needs to replace her little runaround with a 7 seater.

So you currently have two cars, a 7 seater and a little runaround?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

First post although followed this thread for awhile. Looking for advice from previous Tesla S owners. I have ordered my Model 3 and decided to check out insurance to avoid surprises when eventually get it. My plan was to keep my current car, a 7 seater (6 person family) as well as the Model 3. But cannot find an irish insurance company who will quote for a car without at least a 1 years NCB. Many brokers won't take the business either. There is a full NCB on the 7 seater but cannot be used on the Model 3 unless I get rid of it. Basically, to insure a second car, you need a NCB earned on a second car. I know this is to avoid "fronting" but anyone who thinks you would buy a tesla to give to a young driver is crazy.

I assume there must be tesla s drivers that would have bought their car as a second car. Can anyone advise of any Irish company that can quote if no NCB brought to the table? If it is largely impossible to do so, I will need the long lead time until I get my model 3 to convince my wife she needs to replace her little runaround with a 7 seater.

Try insure anything without a NCB.
    Its not just because its a Tesla, a Nissan Leaf or Punto would pose the same problem.

Has your wife or partner got any NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

Ordered mine on Saturday, invoice no. 177.

Currently 2 cars with full ncb on both- 1 my ncb 1 wife's ncb. You are correct re any car and fronting- not just tesla issue. One thought was to transfer my insurance to the tesla and insure the 7 year old 7 seater as the car without ncb.

if I can find an insurer, it will be expensive the first year but year two will have more options as will have the all important one year ncb.

Do you need 3 cars as there are only 2 people driving them? If you really want the Tesla and you must keep a 7 seaters for your needs, then I suggest getting rid of the runaround. Insurance problem solved. Hope your wife likes her new 7 seater runaround :pac:

The reason for keeping all three is that within 18 months, my oldest child will be able to start to learn to drive. ideally it should be a manual transmission (the runaround). The 7 seater is automatic.

Getting rid of the runaround would be a short term solution only. The other solution would be the change the runaround for a different 7 seater with manual gearbox. But that is a lot of changes just because can't find insurer. my other option is no tesla (my wife's solution)

• Advertisement

Your wife's solution makes the most sense ;)

Are you sure you want your children to learn to drive in a manual? It's harder, it will take longer and it will cost you a lot more. And manuals are disappearing very quickly. What's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

The reason for keeping all three is that within 18 months, my oldest child will be able to start to learn to drive. ideally it should be a manual transmission (the runaround). The 7 seater is automatic.

Getting rid of the runaround would be a short term solution only. The other solution would be the change the runaround for a different 7 seater with manual gearbox. But that is a lot of changes just because can't find insurer. my other option is no tesla (my wife's solution)

I am in a very similar situation, difference is at the moment I will trade or sell privately my 520d (good riddance, awful car) and keep 2 cars until my son obtains the driving license (in a couple of months). But I have both NCB in my name and the Bimmer is with Zurich that does not insure teslas afaik, so not sure what I can do, maybe change the Leaf with Zurich and get the new policy for the BMW with Axa and then change it when the M3 is delivered?

Any help appreciated on my options, can I cancel the insurance with Zurich mid year (I got it until Jan 2020) and insure it with someone that insures the Model 3? Would I get any refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep each post as closely related to Tesla Model 3 as possible.
    Feel free to start threads in other forums for other issues.

You are less likely to alienate other posters and moderators by creating new threads than dragging good threads off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Any one know if the SuperCharger stations have been retrofitted with the CCS plug for the Model 3 yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

backlashs wrote: »
    Any one know if the SuperCharger stations have been retrofitted with the CCS plug for the Model 3 yet?

Yes
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109973871&postcount=3799

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

I presume it would right?

Wasn't there some sort of difference between the AC charging capabilities of the SR+ and the Performance

Can anyone refresh my memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

catharsis wrote: »
    Wasn't there some sort of difference between the AC charging capabilities of the SR+ and the Performance

Can anyone refresh my memory?

Yep MR and SR onboard chargers are 32A / 7.7kW.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Irish page claims it is 11 kW https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/home-charging-installation - I wonder what is real story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Irish page claims it is 11 kW https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/home-charging-installation - I wonder what is real story.

My guess is that Model 3 can take up to 7.2kW (32A) using a single-phase supply, or 11kW 48A (3 x 3.6kW 16A) using 3-phase.

Interestingly, there must be a limitation to stop it drawing the 22kW 96A (3 x 7.2kW 32A) that most on-street chargers provide in Ireland. I wonder if this is limited by cabling in the car, a limit of the in-car charger, or a software limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

dbloke wrote: »

I am number 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

dbloke wrote: »

It’s great volume for tesla, they’ve registered 170 new cars in total here since 2014, according to beepbeep.ie data.
    I wonder how it affects sales of bmw, merc and Audi, who account for 75% of Irish volume in that €50-70k price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sk8board wrote: »
    It’s great volume for tesla, they’ve registered 170 new cars in total here since 2014, according to beepbeep.ie data.
    I wonder how it affects sales of bmw, merc and Audi, who account for 75% of Irish volume in that €50-70k price range

Around 9-10 million in sales of the M3. If hazard a guess and say only half would have splashed out on a Merc , Audi and BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

ted1 wrote: »
    Around 9-10 million in sales of the M3. If hazard a guess and say only half would have splashed out on a Merc , Audi and BMW.

Wasn't it the german ambassador during "Troika-times" who pointed out that Ireland had the highest per-capita Mercedes ownership?

catharsis wrote: »
    Wasn't it the german ambassador during "Troika-times" who pointed out that Ireland had the highest per-capita Mercedes ownership?

I think it was on this thread last week I said that if you check carzone for 191 cars in the Tesla €50-100k bracket, merc/bmw/Audi account for 75% of them (followed miles behind by Land Rover in 4th).

The chances of a tesla buyer cannibalising sales for that troika are pretty high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think it was on this thread last week I said that if you check carzone for 191 cars in the Tesla €50-100k bracket, merc/bmw/Audi account for 75% of them (followed miles behind by Land Rover in 4th).

The chances of a tesla buyer cannibalising sales for that troika are pretty high

In the states they were surprised at how many people were trading up from pieces of ****. Lots if fan boys buying Tesla who don’t normally buy good cars

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    In the states they were surprised at how many people were trading up from pieces of ****. Lots if fan boys buying Tesla who don’t normally buy good cars

Not sure we have as many fanboys here, prepared to spend €100-170k on a model S or X over the past 4-5 years anyway - 170 sales, and I have one colleague who owns both, so the real number of people is lower still). it’s just wealthy early adopters.
    Let’s see when the model 3 deliveries start if it tempts joe public into buying. People tend to like what they SEE - majority of the car buying public wouldn’t be aware that the model 3 exists yet.

For comparison, the new 3 series tipped over 400 sales since it arrived March.
    The model 3 should beat that comfortably, but let’s see how many 3 series buyers are getting July deliveries

Wouldn't necessarily call people trading up from a banger to a new EV Tesla fanboys. Most of these people have clearly done their sums and know that the total cost of ownership of this USD38k car is lower than that of a 4 year old second hand USD20k car

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dagryl

Hi guys,

Did any of you confirm Model 3 OMV with the Revenue?

unkel wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily call people trading up from a banger to a new EV Tesla fanboys. Most of these people have clearly done their sums and know that the total cost of ownership of this USD38k car is lower than that of a 4 year old second hand USD20k car

Was thinking the same - cars are generally cheaper to buy in the US, and % residual values on 2nd cars tend to be far higher too, so cost of ownership is much lower and fuel is a higher % of total. those supposed old bangers can still be worth far more than youd think.

The msrp of an m4 in yas marina is $69,700 (€62k versus €110k here). And that’s the sticker price, which no-one pays anyway.
    Can you imagine a world where you can have an m4 for less than €62k with discounting and still get €40k for it after 3 years ...
    that’s the difference

Can you imagine a world where you can have an m4 for less than €62k with discounting and still get €40k for it after 3 years ...
    that’s the difference

We could have this if the drivers here were more interested in the actual car, condition of it, handling, performance, running costs instead of make and the first three digits on the numberplate.

"192 range (0.9 60 PS with windy windows) now available to order."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement