Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dagryl wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Did any of you confirm Model 3 OMV with the Revenue?

Just add the grants back to the Tesla pricing and that's your OMV

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Can anyone tell me about below. If anyone knows answers pls.
    Just wondering about the 3k stg price drop. Wasn’t it the same time as Ireland went online 31 May. So the new rhd (incl irl ) price reflected new reduced price? Was the 3 k stg reduction only on the performance? Is that why performance looks reasonable price in rhd Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I’m quite sad ...

I have been following Tesla for so long and watching so many videos online. I have been saving every month in order to be able to buy the 55000 euro Tesla model 3 without having to take a loan.

Now I have called every broker and insurance company but nobody wants to insure me... not even for a big premium.

Very sad.

I will start looking into a different car now but nothing will come close to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Yurple wrote: »
    I’m quite sad ...

I have been following Tesla for so long and watching so many videos online. I have been saving every month in order to be able to buy the 55000 euro Tesla model 3 without having to take a loan.

Now I have called every broker and insurance company but nobody wants to insure me... not even for a big premium.

Very sad.

I will start looking into a different car now but nothing will come close to this one.

I would contact tesla directly and tell them you're having issues. Let them know this is going to cost them a sale. It's pretty clear that someone is going to insure these things or that's ~190 sales down the toilet for tesla. You'll have better luck as the delivery date gets closer.

This of course assumes you've got 50 years of NCB and negative points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Machi

I’m quite sad ...

Very sad.

I spoke with the Sandyford showroom today enquiring about insurance for the model 3, and they told me not to expect insurance companies to be ready to offer quotes until the first batch arrives to Ireland in July. (Also told me they won’t likely be ready to register any before August)

On another note, being a first time driver in Ireland (with full EU license), and unable to provide a NCB, is there any company that will insure me on a Model 3/performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Machi wrote: »

On another note, being a first time driver in Ireland (with full EU license), and unable to provide a NCB, is there any company that will insure me on a Model 3/performance?

Yes, but you will pay more.
    Don't know why people are flapping bout insurance, the cars need to be insurable prior to this happening. They are not in the country, or possibly not built.

jusmeig wrote: »
    Don't know why people are flapping bout insurance, the cars need to be insurable prior to this happening. They are not in the country, or possibly not built.

I am ready to buy but I can’t buy this without insurance. No insurance means I can’t drive it so that’s why we are flapping about insurance. It’s important.

I was ready to even triple my insurance payment but didn’t expect to get 0 quotes.

I spoke with the Sandyford showroom today enquiring about insurance for the model 3, and they told me not to expect insurance companies to be ready to offer quotes until the first batch arrives to Ireland in July. (Also told me they won’t likely be ready to register any before August)

Have you had an EU/ETA insurance policy within the last two years? The Irish companies should give you some discount using that. You'll just need the no claims bonus in English from your previous insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'd expect an insurance company to actually give that explanation rather then just a straight out refusal to quote.....

As in.....

"Hi sorry Mr Old diesel but because the Model 3 hasn't actually arrived into Ireland yet - we can't actually quote you on it yet.

But we will be able to do so once the car enters into our system in the next few weeks".

The above is NOT a real conversation but what id expect as an explanation were it really a case of not being able to quote due to Model 3 not being in Ireland yet.

Yes that’s exactly what they are saying. They say I need the cars registration plate and without it they will not do anything.

I pushed for a rough estimate but nothing.

• Advertisement

Here's a thought......

If your buying options are a Model 3 or an ICE car - you could actually raise it with your TD (bear with me).

The reason for this is that official policy is supposed to (in the long run) encourage us all to take up lower emissions things.

So if we can't insure the latest cutting edge Tesla in Ireland then Govt could look into why the barriers.

Granted an insurer might argue that Tesla are high risk - but people elsewhere in Europe can insure the cars so as part of promoting low emissions motoring - Govt could look into why it's an issue here.

Edit - Yurples replie came in as I was typing.

Still though - this should be resolvable in the long term.

Yes that’s exactly what they are saying. They say I need the cars registration plate and without it they will not do anything.

This is my thinking too, what will they base their quote on if there are no Model 3's in Ireland? Did you call AXA, they offer insurance on the Tesla site:

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/insuremytesla

This AXA page has 2 model 3 pictures on it, and a get a quote button.

https://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/tesla/

This is my thinking too, what will they base their quote on if there are no Model 3's in Ireland? Did you call AXA, they offer insurance on the Tesla site:

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/insuremytesla

New models of car are coming to the market all the time.....

Some potential things an insurer could base Model 3 quotes on......

1) other cars of equivalent 0 to 60 times....

2) Model S cars already in the system....

3) Electric cars in general.

I think between those 3 factors there should be a basis to base initial Model 3 quotes on.

They can then readjust things based on actual Model 3 experience over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Machi

samih wrote: »
    Have you had an EU/ETA insurance policy within the last two years? The Irish companies should give you some discount using that. You'll just need the no claims bonus in English from your previous insurer.

Thanks for the tip, though unfortunately been in Ireland for more than 2 years without owning/driving a vehicle.
    Ironically, the Model 3 is gonna turn me from a pedestrian to a car owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Has anyone tried to get a quote using a Model S reg with similar value to the Model 3;)
    Just a suggestion, but I'd imagine this would put you in the ball park.
    Insurance companies are not going to quote for a Model 3 that will not be on the roads for probably 2 months or so, after all their quotes are usually only valid for 14 to 28 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

This is the same experience I got from an online comparison site - until there is an actual model for sale, or registration plate for one, they can't quote me anything.

We're just talking to the agents who fill in the appropriate fields on the computer system not the actuaries who set rates. I got a general idea of price by putting in a Tesla Model S 60kW and it wasn't obscene, but this chiken-and-egg runaround on a new model is very frustrating.

While I'm here, it's interesting to compare the UK order rate to ours:

qSeZlPU.png

At the end of their 9th day, 3386 cars were ordered to our 177 so factoring that they are 13¾ as many, our orders are about 70% theirs pro-rata.

UK graph from here - if you want to improve the Irish graph, PM me your Invoice number and time/date it arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Actually, you can get insured in Ireland using the Declined Cases Agreement (DCA) procedure, as long as you are prepared to pay a bigger premium. First of all, you need to get 3 refusals, which you need to have in writing—insurers should always ask you if you would like a written “letter of refusal”, make sure you get one. At that point you contact the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland, who have the legal power to force an insurer to offer you a policy, unless offering the insurance to you would be “contrary to public interest”, the only reason why you could get refused insurance.

The rules also stipulate that while the premium may be high, it cannot be “excessive” as that would be tantamount to a refusal.

You need to keep a record of who you have asked for insurance and in what order, as the first insurer you asked is the one that would normally be requested to insure you. Detailed procedure is here.

By the way, these rules apply to any type of insurance in Ireland, not just motor insurance.

Oh, there is no point doing any of that until the cars have arrived in Ireland and are on the insurance company books. No one will offer you a quote until the first ones have been homologated and the first VINs registered and approved here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am ready to buy but I can’t buy this without insurance. No insurance means I can’t drive it so that’s why we are flapping about insurance. It’s important.

I was ready to even triple my insurance payment but didn’t expect to get 0 quotes.

Irrelevant as they are not available yet in this country. First orders are due in July, realistically early August.

You can’t insure until you buy or at least the car is actually available and you have at least a reg number and value to insure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You will get quotes , just not this early before delivery

Thank you everyone for all the responses and information regarding insurance! I feel a lot better now.

I never bought a brand new car before. It is still scary to order the tesla without having any idea how much insurance will be... but I will go ahead with it! Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Thank you everyone for all the responses and information regarding insurance! I feel a lot better now.

I never bought a brand new car before. It is still scary to order the tesla without having any idea how much insurance will be... but I will go ahead with it! Thanks everyone!

Unless you're going for the performance version, I would expect it to be comparable to my Model S 75, which is around $700, but as always it will pay to shop around.

How much does it cost to insure a new BMW M3 or another car with similar performance and price to the Model 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Rafal wrote: »
    Just received an email from Tesla titled “Model 3: Now Available to Order” (despite having already placed the order this morning) which states “All Model 3 orders placed before 10th of June will save €1,100 on Full Self‑Driving Capability.” Looking at the site, FSD is pricing at €5400 without any mention of a discount, or that it would be increasing 1100 on 10th June.

Price of FSD went up to €6500 as of today. Watch out, anyone, in case you wanted to edit your design online. It may be better to call the helpline if you took the 5400 option, so as not to have it priced up.

I decided not to take FSD at this stage, but to add on later, when a likely promotion makes it cheaper than the saving on VRT (880), effectively wagering €220 against availability of a future discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I couldn't imagine anyone in Europe is forking out for FSD. It's basically buying some air. It doesn't exist. Tesla need as many people as possible to use FSD when it becomes available for the neural network / machine learning to improve to such levels that regulators will allow the drunk driver to go to sleep on the back seat and the car to drive him home :pac:

I'm sure there will be discounts come that time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I certainly woudln't be paying for it anyway
    I've been costing my M3/P3 as 'excluding' the FSD

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've been costing my M3/ P3

Go on, Ireland has the cheapest performance Model 3 in Europe. Go for it! :)

Would love to. Waiting to move house and we will be assessing then. I'm between a p85d/p90d , the standard range+ M3 because of the tow hitch, or the performance.

Want to keep the repayments at or below 900/month so if I can get enough residuals from changing up house to put a larger deposit on a P3 then that's what my first choice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I just got an email back about a trade-in valuation from Tesla. They offered €10,500 for my BMW 1 Series while I was offered €13,900 from a Seat dealer in March. Like others have said, I doubt I'd be going for that option.

Tesla offer bottom level trade in value. Like, whatever the lowest possible book value is. They don't retail non EV so they don't want your trade in and are likely sending it to trade auction.

In the US people say that even "cash for cars" outlets offer better than Tesla.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla offer bottom level trade in value. Like, whatever the lowest possible book value is. They don't retail non EV so they don't want your trade in and are likely sending it to trade auction.

Your point about the bottom level value is right. But the process is a bit different. Tesla will ring a few traders and get back to the prospective Tesla buyer with the highest offer from these traders

These offers are indeed extremely low. Traders take the risk there is something wrong with the car, they will have to fix any issues, put a warranty on the car and then make a decent profit. So your €14k value you thought your car had based on DoneDeal ads of similar cars, is suddenly turned into a €10k Tesla "trade-in" offer

In other words, if you are time poor but have plenty of cash and don't care about a few grand here or there, then trade your car in to Tesla. All other people: sell your car privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I just got an email back about a trade-in valuation from Tesla. They offered €10,500 for my BMW 1 Series while I was offered €13,900 from a Seat dealer in March. Like others have said, I doubt I'd be going for that option.

Trade in value is pretty useless on its own, cash is king.

A dealer giving a higher trade in value just means they are over charging on the car you are trading in for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ted1 wrote: »
    Trade in value is pretty useless on its own, cash is king.

A dealer giving a higher trade in value just means they are over charging on the car you are trading in for.

While this is the norm, look at the cost to change.
    But with Tesla, they don't give any discount on the sticker price.
    The price you pay is the same a Johnny down the road and Jennifer in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

SaintsYB wrote: »

You've got to factor in that if you walked into Seat with € notes you'll probably get up to €2k "cash" discount off the sticker price.

Also factor in that values will have moved by 5-10% since march - hence there's your c.€3k differential.

Tesla list pricing is similar to what Fiat / Alfa Romeo adopted in the late 1990s / early 2000s what they called "open book" i.e. the price is the price and what the dealer has to realise in cash for the car whether that be as a straight purchase or as PX plus cash / finance

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Rafal wrote: »
    Price of FSD went up to €6500 as of today. Watch out, anyone, in case you wanted to edit your design online. It may be better to call the helpline if you took the 5400 option, so as not to have it priced up.

I decided not to take FSD at this stage, but to add on later, when a likely promotion makes it cheaper than the saving on VRT (880), effectively wagering €220 against availability of a future discount.

This is what scares me about Tesla's fluctuating pricing structure - who's to say a sudden discount / increase is never imminent based on reduced demand / restricted supply?

I still have a reservation (i.e. Tesla still have my deposit) but I haven't ordered anything. Only reason I know the configurator is open is I heard it on here. Zero correspondence from Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

This is what scares me about Tesla's fluctuating pricing structure - who's to say a sudden discount / increase is never imminent based on reduced demand / restricted supply?

I still have a reservation (i.e. Tesla still have my deposit) but I haven't ordered anything. Only reason I know the configurator is open is I heard it on here. Zero correspondence from Tesla.

I'm in the same boat as you but I did get an email from Tesla saying the Model 3 was available to order in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 madhatscar

Just a quick question to the knowledgeable folk on this great thread. I'm debating over whether to purchase sr+ or performance m3. Doing my maths the advertised range of sr+ is 415km. I understand that the battery should only be charged to approx 80% on a regular basis.. thus range is 415 x 0.8 = 332km. Now my question, if I assume the battery is degraded to 90% capacity over several years, is the range calculated as 415 x 0.8 x 0.9= 298km or does the range remain as 332km because you charge to 80% of the original battery capacity and 80% is less than the degraded capacity of 90%. I appreciate there are better range tables online than the 415k, but I would appreciate any answers to the above as it will guide my decision as to which model to buy. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Anyone else notice their price on the inital invoice is less than that shown in the website in the account- for me the difference is greater than 1k. I assume it is down to the fact that the cost of autopilot has increased. Anyone else notice this, assume Tesla will sort that out at some stage without raising it with the feckers

madhatscar wrote: »
    Just a quick question to the knowledgeable folk on this great thread. I'm debating over whether to purchase sr+ or performance m3. Doing my maths the advertised range of sr+ is 415km. I understand that the battery should only be charged to approx 80% on a regular basis.. thus range is 415 x 0.8 = 332km. Now my question, if I assume the battery is degraded to 90% capacity over several years, is the range calculated as 415 x 0.8 x 0.9= 298km or does the range remain as 332km because you charge to 80% of the original battery capacity and 80% is less than the degraded capacity of 90%. I appreciate there are better range tables online than the 415k, but I would appreciate any answers to the above as it will guide my decision as to which model to buy. Thanks!

Welcome to boards, madhatscar :)

If you want the battery in your EV to last 50 years, you should always have it somewhere between 25% and 75% state of charge. In real life, don't worry about it. You can charge your car up to 100% every time you charge. Charging it to 100% is not really charging it to 100%. Every lithium battery has a management system that only lets it charge to about 90% (but it will show to you as 100%)

And after 10 years (you probably won't even own the car that long) it will still have 85-90% capacity

Hope that answers your questions. And if you can afford it, go for the performance. Compared to other countries, in Ireland the SR+ is overpriced and the performance is underpriced, so much better value for money

mouthful wrote: »
    Anyone else notice their price on the inital invoice is less than that shown in the website in the account- for me the difference is greater than 1k. I assume it is down to the fact that the cost of autopilot has increased. Anyone else notice this, assume Tesla will sort that out at some stage without raising it with the feckers

On ordered sr+.....
    On mobile bottom of screen where option cash or finance it says 47840.
    Above picture of car on center it says 48900.
    Manage “your car” says 49880!

smokybacon wrote: »
    On ordered sr+.....
    On mobile bottom of screen where option cash or finance it says 47840.
    Above picture of car on center it says 48900.
    Manage “your car” says 49880!

In the uk cash (bottom of screen) is £38050.
    Center of screen is £38900
    Says includes delivery charges are £850.

In irl figures wrong way round I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Interesting paragraph in the order agreement. I think we can expect to pay the highest of those 3 prices.

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuration. This purchase price includes local VAT (if and when applicable), but may not include some local and regionally required taxes and fees. Because taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the ,me of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these taxes and fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Folks can someone knowledgeable sanity check some calculations I have done? I am going to order a model 3 so we will be a 2 EV household (40kw leaf daily runner) and I thought the additional range of the performance model would be the best option however when checking some routes (a better route planner) I need to do for work, the additional range (for €12k more) does not appear to make sense.

Normal daily commute 95km's daily
    Business trip- Fermoy > Airside business park > Fermoy (2 times a month) - Performance 5hr 16, Standard Plus 5hrs 37
    Business trip- Fermoy > Titanic Quater, Belfast > Belfast (1 per month) - Performance 8hrs 57, Standard Plus 9hrs 18

So for all that additional range I only save 1 hour per month for €12k more outlay? It would appear in Ireland the additional range from the performance is fairly redundant, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

krissovo wrote: »
    Folks can someone knowledgeable sanity check some calculations I have done? I am going to order a model 3 so we will be a 2 EV household (40kw leaf daily runner) and I thought the additional range of the performance model would be the best option however when checking some routes (a better route planner) I need to do for work, the additional range (for €12k more) does not appear to make sense.

Normal daily commute 95km's daily
    Business trip- Fermoy > Airside business park > Fermoy (2 times a month) - Performance 5hr 16, Standard Plus 5hrs 37
    Business trip- Fermoy > Titanic Quater, Belfast > Belfast (1 per month) - Performance 8hrs 57, Standard Plus 9hrs 18

So for all that additional range I only save 1 hour per month for €12k more outlay? It would appear in Ireland the additional range from the performance is fairly redundant, am I right?

Same boat as you - 2 ev's! I do the Cork run once or twice a month in my 75D MS - range is equivalent to the M3 SR+. Supercharger en route, 10/15 mins and you are on your way. Granted if you were doing it every day, the LR would make sense, but if you arent, then the SR would do the job. Then again, if you want all that extra welly.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

So for all that additional range I only save 1 hour per month for €12k more outlay?

Well, the €12k gets you all wheel drive and faster acceleration too... money is a funny thing when it comes to cars, most people could not justify what they spend if they thought about it purely in numbers (why pay for an Audi when a Skoda can do the same job and is almost exactly the same car underneath?)

ABetterRoutePlanner gives Fermoy<->Titanic as 8h18m (SR+) or 8h00m (LR Perf)
    It would appear in Ireland the additional range from the performance is fairly redundant, am I right?

We're a small island so using top of the range cars that can utilise the SuperCharger networks means there's no real reason based on range to choose between them. I'm going SR+ and will spend the other range cash on touring holidays of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Anyone know if the Model 3 is still on show in Sandyford? Can you just walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Model 3 is still on show in Sandyford? Can you just walk in?

Yes & yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Yes & yes.

Cheers, might nip in when I'm up in Dublin soon. Thanks

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    . Then again, if you want all that extra welly.....!

My current car is a CLS 63 and its that extra welly that I know I do not need ( CLS 400 much more manageable) and now range in Ireland is a moot topic so standard it is.

Thank you

Mec-a-nic wrote: »

ABetterRoutePlanner gives Fermoy<->Titanic as 8h18m (SR+) or 8h00m (LR Perf)

I am based in in village outside Fermoy about 10kms away

• Advertisement

Model 3 charging at almost 200kW at an Ionity 350kW charger. 400V * 500A :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement