Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The acceleration in the SR+ is fantastic, and unlike anything I'd ever driven before (fastest car I'd probably ever driven before was an E350 AMG sport coupe) ). So I've probably not had much to compare the SR+ to, particularly in the petrol variety.

But now after 3 months of SR+, I'm thinking I should take a Performance for a test drive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The SR+ is duller than my S in terms of acceleration.
    The performance 3 is faster but neither compare to the sheer breakneck power of the S/X P100DL models.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MarkN wrote: »
    Here's my thoughts, I'll put my crash helmet on :D

@ 2.04. :cool:
    Stopped him in his tracks.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The SR+ is duller than my S in terms of acceleration.
    The performance 3 is faster but neither compare to the sheer breakneck power of the S/X P100DL models.

What's the Ms like on back roads though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I love that he did that. It was pre 7am, I'm not sure if it was because I was doing a few runs up and down the road or the silence of the car got him but he made sure to have a good look. Also had an idiot in a 1 series try and overtake me on a blind corner in a built up area, they do attract a lot of the have a go types.

What's the Ms like on back roads though ?
    Not as bargey as you'd expect.
    Similar to my old e60 5 series. So not as good as my old z32 300ZX for isntance, but nowhere near as bad as my 82 rolls royce or any of the US pickups in the barge stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Model 3 with a 100kWh battery? Sounds amazing (and expensive):

https://electrek.co/2020/06/15/tesla-leak-model-3-100-kwh-battery-pack-400-mile-range/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

iniall wrote: »
    Model 3 with a 100kWh battery? Sounds amazing (and expensive):

https://electrek.co/2020/06/15/tesla-leak-model-3-100-kwh-battery-pack-400-mile-range/
    Could be looking at close to 700km range on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A bit pointless paying a lot extra for the battery, and then having to drag the extra weight with you everywhere in a car that charges superfast at any Supercharger or Ionity charger. Maybe for an EV n00b who reckons they deffo need a car with 700km range before comfortable to jump in and let go of their diesel :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

unkel wrote: »
    A bit pointless paying a lot extra for the battery, and then having to drag the extra weight with you everywhere in a car that charges superfast at any Supercharger or Ionity charger. Maybe for an EV n00b who reckons they deffo need a car with 700km range before comfortable to jump in and let go of their diesel :p

Yep range is overdone, most urban dwellers (that can charge at home) would be fine with a 35KW egolf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AmberGold wrote: »
    Yep range is overdone, most urban dwellers (that can charge at home) would be fine with a 35KW egolf.

+1

I’m Dublin based.
    With overnight charging a 24 kWh leaf is technically enough for me. And that includes commuting to work (also Dublin) and then on the road for work (which I only covered Dublin).

100 Kwh isn't too much, can't beat being independent from the public charging network, I know from the Rex, better to have the range than want it or possibly have to queue at a charger, or wait 30-50 mins.

Obviously it's good to give People the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

150kg for a third extra range is a decent trade-off. I'd imagine it'll cost less than FSD, which is fairly useless.

Or rather, it could cost less than FSD.

Maybe they'll add some more performance to create a M3++. A 450kW €75-80k Model 3 would still leave a bit of headroom to the Model S.

People will not change until they have a product that is close to fossil fuel convenience.
    700-800km range is the same as most petrol cars. Now, if they can recharge en route in 10-15 mins as opposed to 30+ then it's getting to the tipping point.

If elon and Tesla are really about pushing EVs to replace fossil fuels on merit then I see why they are going this direction

People will not change until they have a product that is close to fossil fuel convenience.
    700-800km range is the same as most petrol cars. Now, if they can recharge en route in 10-15 mins as opposed to 30+ then it's getting to the tipping point.

If elon and Tesla are really about pushing EVs to replace fossil fuels on merit then I see why they are going this direction

and that coupled with the apparent 'million mile' battery, will be what would eventually swing it for most people, as the majority would probably only jump on board once the 2nd hand market in EV's is proven beyond doubt. People would probably be afraid to buy a 2nd hand EV with 100,000+ km's/miles on it for fear the battery wouldn't last much longer.... hopefully those days will soon be over..

• Advertisement

After watching some videos of AP I'm just thinking to myself that it would be extra draining having to supervise the car, kinda wondering whether a m3 would be better than MS with basic AP or none at all. I don't think I could relax at all with AP on ?

I wouldnt be using FSD, I have EAP with AP1 on my MS and I use on motorways and dual carriageways etc only. Perfect for that, but until we reach full level 5 I have no desire to watch the car attempt (and probably fail) to take roundabouts, lights etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I’ve found the car phantom break several times while on autopilot and luckily I’ve never had someone right behind me as that is quite a scary thought.

It has always happened as I approach a bridge on the motorway, seems like the shadows of the bridge on the ground cause it to think there is an obstacle and it breaks hard suddenly.

It probably cost me 3 points as I got caught for speeding due to not having cruise control on like I would in previous cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

What if it's a new battery that weighs the same, or less?

Just getting rid of the separate modules would save a lot of weight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Used to think that, but its not.

Its price now, even for Tesla ( Model 3 )

If Ford had a Focus out with 45kWh battery and 250km range for €23,000 like its petrol car, it would be its best selling model

Its not far away either

The Chinese are making crazy progress with lfp ctp batteries

CATL are talking about €60per kWh for lfp batteries and they are being used in Model 3 SR in China

No fancy liquid cooling, 3c charge rate like Ioniq, €3000 for 50kWh, cell to pack design with good energy density

Tesla just need a Focus type hatchback to capture Europe now, stock price will go up to $2000 when they announce that

• Advertisement

Rumour has it that Tesla will be using CATL for their 1 million battery.

Speaking of batteries, I've read where the 90 Kwh Model S battery is loosing capacity faster than the 85 Kwh so something to think about for potential 2nd hand buyers.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    If Ford had a Focus out with 45kWh battery and 250km range for €23,000 like its petrol car, it would be its best selling model
    But if you add up savings from cheaper smaller battery, metal roof and EU production, you're still nowhere near halving the cost.

I can't see a sub-30k Tesla any time soon.

Lumen wrote: »
    But if you add up savings from cheaper smaller battery, metal roof and EU production, you're still nowhere near halving the cost.

Not with a 23% VAT rate and few grands worth of VRT.

Used to think that, but its not.

Its price now, even for Tesla ( Model 3 )

Its not far away either

The Chinese are making crazy progress with lfp ctp batteries

CATL are talking about €60per kWh for lfp batteries and they are being used in Model 3 SR in China

No fancy liquid cooling, 3c charge rate like Ioniq, €3000 for 50kWh, cell to pack design with good energy density

Tesla just need a Focus type hatchback to capture Europe now, stock price will go up to $2000 when they announce that
    It's price aswell.
    Totally.

A 250km range focus wouldnt sell. Too short range.
    Needs 500-700km range, 15 min recharge time, and price parity with fossil fuel equivalent (without any grants). Until then EVs will remain a niche product for the middle class and above. Less than 10% uptake for some years to come IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rumour has it that Tesla will be using CATL for their 1 million battery.

Speaking of batteries, I've read where the 90 Kwh Model S battery is loosing capacity faster than the 85 Kwh so something to think about for potential 2nd hand buyers.

Been that way very shortly after being released, lots on internet chat about it

It's price aswell.
    Totally.

A 250km range focus wouldnt sell. Too short range.
    Needs 500-700km range, 15 min recharge time, and price parity with fossil fuel equivalent (without any grants). Until then EVs will remain a niche product for the middle class and above. Less than 10% uptake for some years to come IMO

I don't really know what middle class means, but poor people don't buy new cars, and the market of available used cars is determined by the choices of the people buying new.

If cars are generally appealing people with buy them. The latest generation, things like the e208, Mini electric, Honda e and Citroen DS 3 ethingy, are appealing despite limited range.

Many households have two cars. I (optimistically) expect that limited range EVs are going to be bought as the new daily driver, and the old diesel relegated to the odd long trip.

We could easily get to 40% in a few years on that basis.

40% is not possible in the next 5 years.
    Not a hope. Whatever about 40% of new sales, 40% of the fleet will not be EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't really know what middle class means, but poor people don't buy new cars, and the market of available used cars is determined by the choices of the people buying new.

If cars are generally appealing people with buy them. The latest generation, things like the e208, Mini electric, Honda e and Citroen DS 3 ethingy, are appealing despite limited range.

Many households have two cars. I (optimistically) expect that limited range EVs are going to be bought as the new daily driver, and the old diesel relegated to the odd long trip.

We could easily get to 40% in a few years on that basis.

40% would require a lot to be done to upgrade the national grid. Where's the extra power generation going to come from in such a short time frame?
    Wind energy farms are losing out on tens of millions of revenue because of constraints in Ireland’s transmission system and the problem is getting worse, a new study shows...
    "There is a limit to the amount of wind the system can cope with at any time and EirGrid has done great work in recent years to increase this limit up to 65pc, making us a world leader," said Noel Cunniffe, head of policy at IWEA.

"But the transmission grid itself also has constraints which mean that there may be a lot of wind farms producing power in, say Mayo, but the transmission system is too congested to get it from there to Dublin or wherever it is needed." https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/wind-energy-farms-are-losing-out-on-tens-of-millions-of-revenue-because-of-constraints-in-irelands-transmission-system-and-the-problem-is-getting-worse-a-new-study-shows-39119854.html

Elon just shot down the 100kWh battery pack for the 3 & Y anyway. Says they’re not in development for those cars. Looks like the bigger battery packs will be reserved for Plaid powertrain models (S, X, Roadster, Cybertruck). Makes sense really, otherwise the 3 & Y would totally dominate all their sales.

After watching some videos of AP I'm just thinking to myself that it would be extra draining having to supervise the car, kinda wondering whether a m3 would be better than MS with basic AP or none at all. I don't think I could relax at all with AP on ?
    I use AP for at least 90% of my driving at this point. But that’s just with basic AP features which come with the car for free. The only feature of FSD that gets used is Navigate on Autopilot for me. Autopark works well but I rarely use it and Summon/Smart Summon are just gimmicks for now.

• Advertisement

Elon just shot down the 100kWh battery pack for the 3 & Y anyway. Says they’re not in development for those cars. Looks like the bigger battery packs will be reserved for Plaid powertrain models (S, X, Roadster, Cybertruck). Makes sense really, otherwise the 3 & Y would totally dominate all their sales.

3 and in particular Y will dominate all their sales anyway. Y is likely to sell more than all of the other models put together. It would really help if here in Europe we would also get the cheaper "Chinese" version of the car with the heavier but much cheaper batteries. But alas, that is not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Anyone got the Taptes/Jeda/Tesla wirless phone charger, verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

Nedved85 wrote: »

Have Taptes, took forever to arrive, works good

Nedved85 wrote: »

Did any Model 3 owner not get one? :p

Herself has a wireless charger on her phone - My next one will have it too. Time to invest :)

I didn't get any wireless charger.

Given my phone is the primary key, I just always try and leave the house with it being over 80% charged. Its fairly new too so by the end of the day it still has about 30-40% left in it, so no need to ever charge in the car.

If doing a long distance drive, and somehow need to charge (or be fully charged on arrival), I've a cable under the arm rest i can use to charge our phones.

In 3 months it's been used twice on her phone as it's old and depletes quickly.

*both my work & personal, as well as her work phone all have wireless charging.

I didn't get any wireless charger.

Given my phone is the primary key, I just always try and leave the house with it being over 80% charged. Its fairly new too so by the end of the day it still has about 30-40% left in it, so no need to ever charge in the car.

If doing a long distance drive, and somehow need to charge (or be fully charged on arrival), I've a cable under the arm rest i can use to charge our phones.

In 3 months it's been used twice on her phone as it's old and depletes quickly.

*both my work & personal, as well as her work phone all have wireless charging.

Phone batteries going flat is a reasonably common enough occurance in our house... not for me though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Arr now the greens are in power we will get a free Tesla.

On the serious side I except several thousand euros of the price of a new one, when Berlin opens and if they do RHD then another 10% import duty will fall off, and I think Tesla has already reduced the price of some of the cars in the US.

Our replacement cars will be much much cheaper, but Tesla trade in values will be much reduced.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Quick question this may have happened ages ago but was on the M3 configurator website and it seems Tesla in Ireland is now offering personal leasing.
    How long has this been the case and anyone used it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

40% is not possible in the next 5 years.
    Not a hope. Whatever about 40% of new sales, 40% of the fleet will not be EV.

This is a huge point - EV share of new cars is up from 2.5% last year to 3.6% YTD.
    even getting that to 10% (roughly 10k new vehicles), is only 0.4% of the national fleet of 2.5m non-commercial vehicles.

If EVs were 50%+ of New sales for a decade, its still only 10-15% of the national fleet.

The 2030 date is just kite flying. It’s not actually possible in Ireland, for economic reasons, given the % of annual transactions that are 2nd hand.

A car is bought new once, but traded 2nd hand probably 5-7 times throughout its lifetime

EV sales won't take off in large numbers until, say, the Kona can be got for the price similar to the Petrol version and we're a decade away from this at the rate electrics are progressing.

Once car manufacturers offer an ev version of all their models this will help, also a decade away at least.

Range, Recharge times, Public charging, Charging for Apartment owners etc etc, the real issues are not been addressed fast enough domestically, we can't change the cost of cars but we can reduce the extortion tax and eliminate VRT 100%.

I wouldnt be using FSD, I have EAP with AP1 on my MS and I use on motorways and dual carriageways etc only. Perfect for that, but until we reach full level 5 I have no desire to watch the car attempt (and probably fail) to take roundabouts, lights etc

Do you not find it more fatiguing to have to supervise the car all the time though when AP is active ?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Quick question this may have happened ages ago but was on the M3 configurator website and it seems Tesla in Ireland is now offering personal leasing.
    How long has this been the case and anyone used it?

I think the leasing only showed up about a month or so ago, but it could be limited to company car purchases only*

*someone more in the know could verify this.

I think the leasing only showed up about a month or so ago, but it could be limited to company car purchases only*

*someone more in the know could verify this.

I looked and the terms and conditions said company or personnel lease if so game changer for Tesla I think. Take your model on a 48 month lease and hand it back when done with no down payment only monthly payment and go for the newest model again once term is up.

I looked and the terms and conditions said company or personnel lease if so game changer for Tesla I think. Take your model on a 48 month lease and hand it back when done with no down payment only monthly payment and go for the newest model again once term is up.

€38,000 for the pleasure and no car at the end

Only 15k km as well

Horrible deal imo

Better pony up another €10,000 and buy outright

• Advertisement

€38,000 for the pleasure and no car at the end

Only 15k km as well

Horrible deal imo

Better pony up another €10,000 and buy outright

Suppose it depends on your circumstances company I work for would cover the monthly’s anyway but don’t want to lease it themselves and have it on their books so no issue for me and the car I would want would be working out nearly 70k not 38k. Also you can increase to 20/25km a year with little difference in cost.

Suppose it depends on your circumstances company I work for would cover the monthly’s anyway but don’t want to lease it themselves and have it on their books so no issue for me.

Oh yeah for a company it might be competitive

Was talking personal lease

Oh yeah for a company it might be competitive

Was talking personal lease

Personal leasing in the UK is really common and seems to be starting to come in over here your right depends on your circumstances but it’s good to have options.

Oh yeah it wont be Tesla offering that car

No reason autogiants can't do it though

CATL are talking about €3500 at the pack level for 50kWh pack with lfp batteries with Tesla, crazy stuff.

They were saying €100 at pack level was years away only 2 years ago

Personal leasing in the UK is really common and seems to be starting to come in over here your rigbht depends on your circumstances but it’s good to have options.

True

If it was 60% of car value at €30,000 would be tempting, think nearly 80% of car value at €38,000 is far too much

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement