Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla are scum bags to do that in fairness, make you pay per car that you can't sell on, it's the future probably.

But are they actually doing that????

No idea still scum bags if they are lol.

Paying for extras only to have them vanish would annoy me after paying for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Paying for extras only to have them vanish would annoy me after paying for them.

Not like it’s being forced down anyone’s throat. The market will decide. If it doesn’t make sense financially, people won’t buy it and that will be that.

FSD is currently a waste of money, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

No , they are not.

The FSD stays with the car. The only time it might be removed is if Tesla own it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's not what happens. Tesla delete extras after they buy back the cars. The owner doesn't lose anything.

The controversial cases have been where Tesla forgets to delete an extra that wasn't paid for by the first owner until after a car has been sold to the second owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not what happens. Tesla delete extras after they buy back the cars. The owner doesn't lose anything.

Tesla took so much heat over this, they reversed their "deletion".

They said:
    Tesla has recent identified instances of customers being incorrectly configured for Autopilot versions that they did not pay for

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/23/tesla-removing-content-from-used-cars/

If I buy a used Tesla, which the previous owner upgraded to FSD, I won't have paid for that FSD. They claim it's a service.
    Their intention is to profit from the software, that's where the money is. They disable supercharging/DC charging if any insurance irregularities too, because they can.

That's their model. It might work out for them, it's a free market & they are in the game to make money. I wouldn't expect any less, especially if I was a shareholder, which I may well be, in which case my Tesla shares would be soaring in value & I wouldn't be complaining :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I read that story differently. Tesla believed that the features had not been paid for by the original owner, and so were removed in an audit.

They haven't clarified that because it makes them look stupid whichever way you look at it, so they're employing the "don't feed the story" tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

mobyduck wrote: »
    Interesting, wonder will many bite at that price. And if so, would upgrade from this to FSD be half price too.

In the US, EAP is now $4,000 and FSD is $8,000. It has been confirmed that if you buy EAP in the US, that upgrading to FSD is offered at $5,000 ... so about 25% more than the initial difference.

So, in Ireland, with EAP at €3,800 and FSD at €7,500, the initial difference is €3,700. So you would guess that if you bought EAP now, that the option to add FSD later would be around €4,500 to €4,700.

What's interesting is this report:
    526892.png

Tesla may be preparing for paying monthly for FSD, although Elon said it would be generally cheaper to buy FSD outright - hence the monthly charge is probably going to be high ... €200 to €300??

Also be aware of this, on the US Tesla (the Irish site doesn't even show EAP as an option, unlike the app):
    526893.png

It could be that they are enticing customers to upgrade to EAP before launching the FSD subscription service.

I’d certainly like to try before I buy, so at least the subscription service would allow that (albeit expensively).

But at the same time you’d also hope that with a subscription they would offer a 30 day trial period.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Sorry to jump in in the middle of this. I ordered a model 3 last weekend and my delivery appointment is Tuesday. I've been told this is "an extremely quick lead time". I have nothing set up yet, charging wise, so I just wanted to ask if I could get a referral code off anyone to add some miles for charging on the drive back to Galway?!

I don't know the etiquette - I'll give you mine if you give me yours?!

Edit: does this work after you've bought the car, this all happened so fast.

Edit 2: Should have gone in depth first. I guess you can't add points after purchase. Was hoping for some leniency with the speed of things!

• Advertisement

marymc wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in in the middle of this. I ordered a model 3 last weekend and my delivery appointment is Tuesday. I've been told this is "an extremely quick lead time". I have nothing set up yet, charging wise, so I just wanted to ask if I could get a referral code off anyone to add some miles for charging on the drive back to Galway?!

You need to use a referral code at time of order, so it’s too late for that.

Also there are no Superchargers on the Dublin - Galway route.

Sign up to ESB eCars and download their app. A pay as you go account should be fine, and just put €20-€30 into your account and it should do you for the next week or 2.

Start shopping chargers and installers now as they can be busy so the sooner you get in the queue the better.

Also apply ASAP for the SEAI home charger grant as you can’t install the charger until you have your grant approval (usually only takes a few days)

You need to use a referral code at time of order, so it’s too late for that.

Also there are no Superchargers on the Dublin - Galway route.

Sign up to ESB eCars and download their app. A pay as you go account should be fine, and just put €20-€30 into your account and it should do you for the next week or 2.

Start shopping chargers and installers now as they can be busy so the sooner you get in the queue the better.

Also apply ASAP for the SEAI home charger grant as you can’t install the charger until you have your grant approval (usually only takes a few days)

Thanks for letting me know!

There's a Tesla supercharger at a hotel near me, but sure I'll be grand.

The charger grant is my next top priority!

Thanks for letting me know!

There's a Tesla supercharger at a hotel near me, but sure I'll be grand.

It’s not a Supercharger, it’ll be a destination charger which is simply plug and play for any Tesla with no card or anything needed.

There are only 3 Supercharger sites in Ireland
    Castlebellingham (M1 north & southbound carriageway)
    Birdhill (M7)
    Ballacolla (M8)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lurf94

Hi Guys,
    Picked up my car yesterday and can only say I love it. Was sick however when last night, when the screen went black, I spotted a scratch In the bottom left corner of the touchscree. Sick. Have booked it in for a service appointment.

On another note, what's peoples recommendation on Cabin Overheat Protection ? What temperatures would it usually have to be inside the car before its worth starting to turn that on ? Is Ireland even hot enough to warrant it

lurf94 wrote: »
    On another note, what's peoples recommendation on Cabin Overheat Protection ? What temperatures would it usually have to be inside the car before its worth starting to turn that on ? Is Ireland even hot enough to warrant it

I don’t think you’d need to worry about in in Ireland....

Hottest I saw in the cabin was about 55 degrees one sunny day, and nothing melted...

The car is basically A green house....

It’s not a Supercharger, it’ll be a destination charger which is simply plug and play for any Tesla with no card or anything needed.

There are only 3 Supercharger sites in Ireland
    Castlebellingham (M1 north & southbound carriageway)
    Birdhill (M7)
    Ballacolla (M8)

Aw drat. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Guys,
    Picked up my car yesterday and can only say I love it. Was sick however when last night, when the screen went black, I spotted a scratch In the bottom left corner of the touchscree. Sick. Have booked it in for a service appointment.

I turned mine off in my MS recent;y following looking into it. It’s not required seemly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Edit 2: Should have gone in depth first. I guess you can't add points after purchase. Was hoping for some leniency with the speed of things!

They must have one in their inventory that matches your order spec.
    They will charge the car before arrival but no guarantee it will be full.

Assume 50% battery charge and plan your stops at eCars chargers around this. Look for CCS connections on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

has everyone seen this? worth it alone to hear the passenger groaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LI_jeytBI

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    has everyone seen this? worth it alone to hear the passenger groaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LI_jeytBI

That was funny alright, I bet his jocks needed changing after that lol and probably the seat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so the premium connectivity ran out today.

whats peoples preferred method? pay for the premium?
    or just wifi hotpsot from phone?

might try the wifi for week or two ,see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If I had to pay it I'd probably try the wifi option first
    Just have to adjust to selecting Drive first then putting auto hold on and connect to wifi manually.

(if you do it the other way round and let it connect before shifting to D, it will disconnect upon shift to D)

copeyhagen wrote: »

I tried the wifi hotspot thing for a while and it's a load of sh1te!!

Every time you get into the car, you've to manually connect the car to the hotspot again, even if you hop out for 20 seconds.....

Struggled on like this for a few days, and then just stopped bothering. Stopped using any form of streaming service.

Then back in July decided to subscribe as we had a few road trips coming up, and have kept it ever since.
    Radio sound quality is about 17 times better when streaming from TuneIn (I don't bother at all now with FM). And Satellite maps are so so much better looking than the not satellite version... And if were all out together, and one of us runs into a shop or we are charging, the others will sit in the car watching YouTube or Netflix..

for €0.32 per day, it's not exactly costing an arm and a leg..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Any idea when Tesla are likely to contact me to sort financing. I put the order in start of the month. I have my delivery date next month and the account just says "we will reach out to organise payment" but I feel like this is kind of the fundamental thing they should have done before the car was en route.

For anyone who did the finance with Tesla was is the week before? I'm now 8 days from collection.

Any idea when Tesla are likely to contact me to sort financing. I put the order in start of the month. I have my delivery date next month and the account just says "we will reach out to organise payment" but I feel like this is kind of the fundamental thing they should have done before the car was en route.

For anyone who did the finance with Tesla was is the week before? I'm now 8 days from collection.

I had no idea if I had been approved for Tesla Finance or not. A quick email to Evla in the SC, and I had a reply in 2 hours. She was great.
    Best to send the SC a quick email and see where it stands, as I had been approved but would not have known until I asked. They are sometimes a bit quiet when reaching out however I have found them brilliant whenever I had to email them for anything.

• Advertisement

Bit annoyed here because I was meant to collect today. Sorted day off work, lift up from Galway with (masked) parent... no info from Tesla. So I phoned after work and was told I'd get a call back. Drove home and an hour later still no call back, so managed to get through to Dublin (not England) and was told my delivery date was moved to Friday because HP was slow with AIB. I can't untake my day off work, and I can't take another on Friday, so they've organised delivery to my house, but again there's no time frame or contact. On top of that my insurance is due to run out on my (non-traded) current car in October, so I'm wedged in with all sorts of time limits and no definitive answers!!! The stress!!!

Edit: sorry, I didn't reply to you at all. Definitely reach out by phone to Dublin while you still have a week!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Bit annoyed here because I was meant to collect today. Sorted day off work, lift up from Galway with (masked) parent... no info from Tesla. So I phoned after work and was told I'd get a call back. Drove home and an hour later still no call back, so managed to get through to Dublin (not England) and was told my delivery date was moved to Friday because HP was slow with AIB. I can't untake my day off work, and I can't take another on Friday, so they've organised delivery to my house, but again there's no time frame or contact. On top of that my insurance is due to run out on my (non-traded) current car in October, so I'm wedged in with all sorts of time limits and no definitive answers!!! The stress!!!

Edit: sorry, I didn't reply to you at all. Definitely reach out by phone to Dublin while you still have a week!!!!

Woof that does not sound simple or transparent at all. I emailed the sales rep and he said deliveries still fine but he can organise delivery to my house for me free of charge. Given I'd likely be using public transport to get to the car if they deliver on the same day i'll accept that. Will update if I get any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Sorry to hear that. They do need watching in the run up to the collection date.

Think you have grounds to have a referral code retrospectively applied after that mess up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

copeyhagen wrote: »

For only a tenner a month, seems like a no brainer to buy premium connectivity, especially if we can justify a ~€50K+ car purchase in the first place!?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jimmyging

Quick question please .
    My windscreen cracked , do Tesla replace ( I’m 2 hrs from Sandyford )or will a local company be able to do it ?
    Many thanks in advance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

For only a tenner a month, seems like a no brainer to buy premium connectivity, especially if we can justify a ~€50K+ car purchase in the first place!?! ;)

Yep, unlimited data as well like :D

By any chance is your Tesla in Ireland using a Dutch Sim Card?

Here in Germany they are, you'll notice you get ads on Youtube in Dutch.

redcup342 wrote: »

By any chance is your Tesla in Ireland using a Dutch Sim Card?

Here in Germany they are, you'll notice you get ads on Youtube in Dutch.

Yep, Dutch Youtube as well as ads in Dutch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Could be advantageous. Is there a difference between Dutch netflix and here I wonder

When in Netflix, I still see all my regular stuff and also charts for Ireland, so it seems to be geo 'aware'

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Apologies for a silly question but could someone let me know what the final price of a tesla model 3 is here in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Apologies for a silly question but could someone let me know what the final price of a tesla model 3 is here in Ireland?

Prices without add-ons or extras.

Standard - 47,990

Long Range - 57,990

Performance - 64,490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Prices without add-ons or extras.

Standard - 47,990

Long Range - 57,990

Performance - 64,490

And after the VRT/Grant/Destination & doc fee

SR+ : € 46,782
    Long Range : € 58,410
    Performance : € 65,968

White is included, red €2200, other colours €1,100

Autopilot is included, fsd is €7,500

SR+/Long Range Only
    Tow Hitch €1,100
    19’’ Sport Wheels €1,600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

jhegarty wrote: »
    And after the VRT/Grant/Destination & doc fee

SR+ : € 46,782
    Long Range : € 58,410
    Performance : € 65,968

White is included, red €2200, other colours €1,100

Autopilot is included, fsd is €7,500

SR+/Long Range Only
    Tow Hitch €1,100
    19’’ Sport Wheels €1,600

The extras then work out more expensive again than the price listed due to VRT increase. When I spec’d my car different colour was working out to 1,300 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin2017

Model 3 import
    Hi all, just finished importing my model 3 from UK and thought I'd share the experience. Love the car it's my 2nd tesla sold my ms p90d in cork and bought a model 3 performance.

1. Bought the car online from a dealer in Strafford upon Avon.
    2. It was in August so couldn't travel to view the car but the uk dealer video called for a walk around.
    3. It's a model 3 performance black with chrome alloys, white seats and full self driving package 2019 April.
    4. Mileage at 6,000 Kim’s so avoided paying VAT
    5. Sold my own car and priced bank of Ireland to transfer funds to dealer, rate from them was horrendous, I used transfer mate, they were excellent, gbp rate on Google at the time was 1.10 and that's what I got, €250 charge to send the money. Car cost £55,000.
    6. I Paid NVD to collect the car on a car transporter they dealt with the car dealer on collection times etc, collected the car from their depot in Dublin.
    7. Insurance was only €40 difference from model s €540.
    8. Booked vrt with covid couldn't get a date for 3 weeks.
    9. Presented for vrt and couldn't find the chassis stamp, they wouldn't vrt, went to tesla and they located it behind the driver side pillar, you have to pull off the panel.vrt was done and they valued the car at 61k, revenue had to confirm the rate so had to wait 8 days, insurance company extended the 30 days on UK Reg.
    10. Paid the vrt it came back as €3065, I was happy enough with that.
    11. Put new plates on and that's it, no major hassle and would recommend, warrenty transfers with the car so you are covered from Tesla Ireland, car is excellent, range is so much better and being able to use ccs chargers makes all the difference.
    12. All up car cost €60,500 to buy, €500 shipping and money transfer, €3,065 vrt. €64,000 all up same car new is €78,000 from Tesla. (Albeit if you didn't want full self drive new car would be €69,000, but suited me so happy with decision)

Lucky Git, jealous as hell, well wear! :D

How does it drive compared to the MS ?

I'm in two minds whether to get the S or 3 or to change at all, but fear the s will be too much of a boat on the back roads. The i3 is great.

Of course I won't be spending that kind of money and doubt I'd find performance at a decent price for a few years yet. So would be older S most likely. But not sure I want to drop years but the performance of a P85 or P90D would be a lot more than what I have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ivorfa

Has anyone had any problems with the regenerative braking i keep getting a message regenerative braking temporarily reduced will improve as car is driven, i have driven it from 80% down to 20% and still no improvement its really poor compared to what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

Just posted this on the ID3 page, just personal review:

I test drove one this week with the GF who is/was interested in an ID3. It was a 1st with optional rear camera, folding mirrors, etc., think worth about €42K. I have been driving a Model 3 SR+ for six months, cost €49K.

Underwhelming really. We both liked the exterior, both disliked the interior, felt plasticity and outdated, more piano black, UI looks very dated, small GPS map like a 2005 TomTom, battery reading not on the primary screen(?). We rathered the interior of the Golf in the showroom. Rear view camera window needs to be closed manually each time? And camera quality not as good as Tesla.

Seats not as comfortable as M3. Acceleration good but no M3. Good turning circle and easy to drive, but was expecting more from a car that is roughly in the same price range as my car, and should be direct competition with.

Carsalesman very good in offering us a test drive when we just walked in on a whim, very surprised by our review!

Guys, quick one on Sentry Mode.
    Each morning I get into the car I have a notification of X amount of Sentry Events Reported. However when I go into the viewer there is nothing there. Does it not record everything or only record what it deems significant ?

Guys, quick one on Sentry Mode.
    Each morning I get into the car I have a notification of X amount of Sentry Events Reported. However when I go into the viewer there is nothing there. Does it not record everything or only record what it deems significant ?

Are you sure your card is installed/formatted properly? Are you able to save Dashcam footage?

Also, to save battery, and filling up your memory card you can disable Sentry Mode when at home. I’m happy to do this as I’ve an outdoor IP camera covering the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

ivorfa wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems with the regenerative braking i keep getting a message regenerative braking temporarily reduced will improve as car is driven, i have driven it from 80% down to 20% and still no improvement its really poor compared to what it was

I do get this message, but only with a high state of charge and it gradually gets stronger as the batter depletes.

What have you got the regen set to, make sure its on Standard and not Low.

Are you sure your card is installed/formatted properly? Are you able to save Dashcam footage?

Also, to save battery, and filling up your memory card you can disable Sentry Mode when at home. I’m happy to do this as I’ve an outdoor IP camera covering the car.

Yep, card works fine. Dashcam saves video no problem and if I get into the car with 2 or 3 events reported its fine I can see the footage. However in two occasions I had like over 100 events reported, but only 1 clip saved in sentry of 1 second in length. Not really sure what its doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Double check on a laptop if the files are being saved. Have found before that they weren't all being shown on the viewer but were actually saved on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellticwarrior

ivorfa wrote: »

Mine is a bit flaky as well, when I sat in the car today @ 54% charged, got the temporarily reduced message. It eventually started working again, but can't figure out why it would be reduce in the first place. Set to standard also.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Mine is a bit flaky as well, when I sat in the car today @ 54% charged, got the temporarily reduced message. It eventually started working again, but can't figure out why it would be reduce in the first place. Set to standard also.

I have seen similar message 2 or 3 times over last few days and not in the 3 weeks before since I bought car (192 bought secondhand). Only on starting to drive. Could it relate to the colder weather and/or latest update 2020.36.11 which downloaded a few days back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kellticwarrior

I have seen similar message 2 or 3 times over last few days and not in the 3 weeks before since I bought car (192 bought secondhand). Only on starting to drive. Could it relate to the colder weather and/or latest update 2020.36.11 which downloaded a few days back?

It has happened twice to me since the latest update - didn't happen before the latest update - Only had the car a week thought..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement