Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

I've been seeting a bit of this "flaky regen" on all the 36.xx releases.

Maybe they are testing something ... AP has also been a bit hit and miss with the 36s too, some things are great on one iteration and others poor and vice versa.

Maybe we'll see a 40 soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Strange thing I've noticed since going onto 36.xx;

When you 'half' press the indicator stalk (you know to just get 3 flashes)? Well when indicating left in this way, it isn't always coming on, and it seems like I have to press it slightly firmer to get the 3 flashes.... It's only happened a few times, but annoying when changing lane on a motorway and not indicating (when you think you are indicating).

seems more hardware than software related, but in a Tesla, you just never know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Strange thing I've noticed since going onto 36.xx;

When you 'half' press the indicator stalk (you know to just get 3 flashes)? Well when indicating left in this way, it isn't always coming on, and it seems like I have to press it slightly firmer to get the 3 flashes.... It's only happened a few times, but annoying when changing lane on a motorway and not indicating (when you think you are indicating).

seems more hardware than software related, but in a Tesla, you just never know!!

It also happened to me in the left side, so might be indeed software related

Bored in work so requested test drive in a model 3, so we'll see what happens.

We all know what will happen....

I'll PM you my referral code.......

• Advertisement

Thanks, got the PM, how long is it valid for ?

2 things have to happen first, PCP on the i3 has to expire and I have to pass probation in the new job which hopefully will be middle of November.

One advantage of the PCP is that I can simply dump the i3 with Tesla because I'm not expecting to get more than the GFMV, so that won't surprise me so there'll be no disappointments because I've heard of tesla's less than generous offers. I doubt anyone except maybe BMW would give me anything more than the GFMV.

We'll see what happens early 2021.

Have to say though It will be exciting driving a tesla for the first time. Yes I had the discussion about the model S and all that, performance would be good but I spend longer than I care to remember driving diesel vans with a 0-100 of around 20 seconds, more with roof rack and ladders, went to the 90 HP TDI and thought I was in a rocket 15 seconds 0-100, on the older van with no turbo, roof rack and ladders could hardly maintain 100 Km/hr. so 5.5 seconds will feel fast coming from the i3.

My head keeps saying keep the i3.

Referral codes are indefinite - unless Tesla cancels them for mis-use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just put the i3 up for sale this evening. No point wasting time :)

Gumbo wrote: »
    Just put the i3 up for sale this evening. No point wasting time :)

No one will buy it with outstanding finance lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Thanks, got the PM, how long is it valid for ?

2 things have to happen first, PCP on the i3 has to expire and I have to pass probation in the new job which hopefully will be middle of November.

One advantage of the PCP is that I can simply dump the i3 with Tesla because I'm not expecting to get more than the GFMV, so that won't surprise me so there'll be no disappointments because I've heard of tesla's less than generous offers. I doubt anyone except maybe BMW would give me anything more than the GFMV.

We'll see what happens early 2021.

Have to say though It will be exciting driving a tesla for the first time. Yes I had the discussion about the model S and all that, performance would be good but I spend longer than I care to remember driving diesel vans with a 0-100 of around 20 seconds, more with roof rack and ladders, went to the 90 HP TDI and thought I was in a rocket 15 seconds 0-100, on the older van with no turbo, roof rack and ladders could hardly maintain 100 Km/hr. so 5.5 seconds will feel fast coming from the i3.

My head keeps saying keep the i3.

Why not just hand the i3 back to BMW at end of PCP?

Saves you having to mess with trade in at all.

• Advertisement

Why not just hand the i3 back to BMW at end of PCP?

Saves you having to mess with trade in at all.

Because I would need a way to get to pick up my new Tesla lol. It would be interesting to see what Tesla would offer me, but I could drop it back into Frank Keane on the way to Tesla lol.

Would be interesting to see what BMW would offer me for it but they have nothing to offer me, as much as I still love the i3 I wouldn't drive another for 3 more years, I'd rather keep the one I have, though I'm sure the i3s is a blast, it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

but I could drop it back into Frank Keane on the way to Tesla lol.

Ah fair enough. But above is exactly what I'm planning to do when my M3 comes in :) - drop current car to dealer that morning and straight up to Tesla after.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Once you drive a model 3 you'll be hooked, spend the weekend doing the man maths & trying to justify a LR OR PERFORMANCE :D:D
    And anyone you goes on about VW build quality.....I have my model 3, 11 months now & 20k kms, not one problem, but I've had loads of vw's & bmws over the years that gave me loads of headaches

jordan191 wrote: »
    Once you drive a model 3 you'll be hooked, spend the weekend doing the man maths & trying to justify a LR OR PERFORMANCE :D:D
    And anyone you goes on about VW build quality.....I have my model 3, 11 months now & 20k kms, not one problem, but I've had loads of vw's & bmws over the years that gave me loads of headaches

No way I'll be getting a performance, unless I go for a 2nd hand MS P85D which I still haven't ruled out.

When is your test drive?

When is your test drive?

Haven't heard anything yet.

How long do they give you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Because I would need a way to get to pick up my new Tesla lol. It would be interesting to see what Tesla would offer me, but I could drop it back into Frank Keane on the way to Tesla lol.

Would be interesting to see what BMW would offer me for it but they have nothing to offer me, as much as I still love the i3 I wouldn't drive another for 3 more years, I'd rather keep the one I have, though I'm sure the i3s is a blast, it

As a data point they offered me € 9,400 for 2014 i3 rex with 90,000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looking forward to your report in "full length, full HD" etc :)

back in February, I had about 45 minutes. I drove down the M50 and back up the N11 and back to Tesla, and then we swapped and herself did the same drive again..

• Advertisement

back in February, I had about 45 minutes. I drove down the M50 and back up the N11 and back to Tesla, and then we swapped and herself did the same drive again..

I'll be heading straight for some back roads lol. But will be some N11 too.

And funny enough just got a call, booked for Saturday the 10th October.

I can't this Saturday unfortunately.

Already planning the test drive, will head over for Stepaside, Kilternan, into Enniskerry, and back onto the N11 and where from there I don't know, probably head back to Tesla or drive it home lol, but it will give me a chance to take it on some back roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Already planning the test drive, will head over for Stepaside, Kilternan, into Enniskerry, and back onto the N11 and where from there I don't know, probably head back to Tesla or drive it home lol, but it will give me a chance to take it on some back roads.

You love them back roads!
    They're all just roads to me but anyway.

I'm just thinking now will they give me the Performance ? that would be cruel! :D
    Do they allow you to bring someone with you ? I know one of me mates would love to go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I test drove with my wife, it was no issue. You'll just need to give driving licenses for both (they ask via email or you can do it in store).

I was offered any version, I chose long range because that's the one I'm getting. It depends what's available on the day and how busy it is.

Where are you based? I'm sure someone on here would give you a lift if it's not too far?

I'm just thinking now will they give me the Performance ? that would be cruel! :D
    Do they allow you to bring someone with you ? I know one of me mates would love to go.

Yep I test drove the Sr but ended up buying a performance stealth, great deal couldn't pass on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And funny enough just got a call, booked for Saturday the 10th October.

I can't this Saturday unfortunately.

Should they not be putting you off until after lockdown anyway?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

No lockdown in Dublin.
    Just loads of guidelines and to limit contacts if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No lockdown in Dublin.
    Just loads of guidelines and to limit contacts if possible.

Did they not say people shouldn't be leaving/travelling into Dublin unless it was essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did they not say people shouldn't be leaving/travelling into Dublin unless it was essential?

There is no lockdown inside Dublin. But you can't enter/leave from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Spin up to the sally gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

What's up with M3 lights in Auto?

I keep getting flashed at by other cars.

What's up with M3 lights in Auto?

I keep getting flashed at by other cars.

The dipped beams appear to be a little ‘high’ so people think you’ve your high beams on and flash you. I get it as well..

Or do you actually have the high beams on auto? Which doesn’t work that great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

indicator stalk is thrash..

or i havent learned it properly yet

copeyhagen wrote: »
    indicator stalk is thrash..

or i havent learned it properly yet
    definitely takes a bit of getting used to, especially at roundabouts.

you have to cancel the right indicator, wait a second and then indicate left, you can't do it all in 1 movement...

Pointless, I work in Dublin anyway.

jordan191 wrote: »
    Yep I test drove the Sr but ended up buying a performance stealth, great deal couldn't pass on it

Deal on the performance ? that's a hell of a price ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Spin up to the sally gap.

Could do but could easily end up at 40 Km/hr stuck behind some idiot + a lot of that road is just too bad. Na think I'll stick to the route I planned.

• Advertisement

So how's the quality of your M3 lads ? any issues with panel gaps, trim falling off, paint etc ?

So how's the quality of your M3 lads ? any issues with panel gaps, trim falling off, paint etc ?

No big issues really.

one of my rear lights had to be replaced because the condensation didn't get any better and it was filling with water. Ranger came and swapped it in my front garden. took 5 minutes.

Paint does seem quite thin on the plastic bits. I think I have 1 or 2 very small chips on it where I can see the black plastic behind it.

14,000 km in and not a single rattle out of it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

one gap on the rear lights, ones totally different to the other side, but not noticeable normally.

other than that its been spot on. have to spin over today to resign the AIB forms..lol.

havent even gotten a logbook yet.

I saw a few videos where Bjorn was showing crap speeds when fast charging a cold battery, looks like the car can use significant energy to heat the battery rather than charge the car too even on AC, would it not be better to give the driver the option ? if on AC that would divert a lot of power towards battery heating than charging as Bjorn also showed, not everyone wants to go to a fast charger.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    one gap on the rear lights, ones totally different to the other side, but not noticeable normally.

other than that its been spot on. have to spin over today to resign the AIB forms..lol.

havent even gotten a logbook yet.

What sort of finance did you do, over how many years ?

Another video shows Bjorn getting only 46 Kw, on a 50 Kw DC charger with a battery temp of 41 Deg C, the i3 can take 50 Kw at a battery temp of 22 Deg C, that's very weird. I'm not liking this at all + the fact he was charging the dual motor performance so a SR+ with single motor might take a lot longer as they use the motors to heat the battery.

Seems like there still is no proper solution to cold battery charging, while the battery might be warm when plugged into AC it might not be so much of an issue but at 10 degrees and less battery temp it charges like the i3 at around 22 Kw and I'd be battered on a long trip if charging took so long, this is where the rex saves the day again. Hmmmm.

Leaving home 100% charge like the i3 battery will most likely be warm enough when you go for a long drive and need to charge because driving alone will warm it up but when you stay away from home and may not have access to AC the next morning the battery could be cold enough that fast charging will be very slow, the solution ? charge when you get to your destination before the battery cools.

But why does the m3 need 41 Deg C to see 46 Kw when the i3 needs only 22 Deg C for 50 Kw ? the M3 internal resistance must be very high to beging with ?

i had ordered a performance, but was offered a performance stealth (but got a better deal) as i was waiting a few months due to a mix up in delivery, my car was registered in Ireland but still sitting in san francisco

Starting to see some second hand and private sales popping up now.

1. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26098768

2. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25973532

Starting to see some second hand and private sales popping up now.

Interesting. In Ireland?

I see a 2019 for €46k on Done Deal...

Sure another grand and you’d have a brand new one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

But why does the m3 need 41 Deg C to see 46 Kw when the i3 needs only 22 Deg C for 50 Kw ? the M3 internal resistance must be very high to beging with ?

It's nothing to do with temperature - the Model 3 has a nominal pack voltage of 350v so will be limited to 43/44kW on a 125a DC charger. At a lower SoC it'll take closer to 40kW, rising to 44kW as the pack voltage rises.

On a supercharger/Ionity, that's not an issue as both aren't restricted to 125a.

Basically, a Model 3 SR+ will take an hour to get from 0-80% on a 50kW DC charger, less than half that on Ionity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement