Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kramer wrote: »
    You could argue that by buying a UK car, you contributed 20% VAT to HMRC, depriving the Irish exchequer of their 23% slice :P.

Would your Model S have been subsidised, when new, by the UK taxpayer? I assume you only really benefitted here by the reduced VRT amount because it was electric?

Tapering subvention for cars over €40k wouldn't have affected your Model S.

Anyway, in 90 days time the door could be closed for the reasonable value Model S/BMW 530e etc. imports.

But i don't think Performance Model 3s should receive the same taxpayer subvention the SR+ receives, purely from a value for money viewpoint.
    It's my tax we're talking about here & I demand value :D.
    Not only did I not have to pay much VRT (5k grant), the price is set by the value of newer used cars and brand new cars. New cars go up by 10k then the used values also go up pro rata

Trickle down economics.

(The taper over 40k would have affected my car as the VRT valuation was mid 50's, total VRT bill before grant was just under 8k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Slaanesh wrote: »
    The higher the state of charge, the lower the charge rate. Tapers off a good bit.

tis stupid, should just charge at 110 the whole lot and elt me be on my way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

copeyhagen wrote: »

Thats why theres a cut off point for a lot of people when they're at say 75-80% or so, they'll stop and head off to the next charger.

Bjorn's 1,000km challenge in an SR+ is a good watch as it gives a good idea of at what point it's not worth charging anymore as it's just too slow... but then again he has a multitude of fast chargers to move onto for his next charge... we have the ecars 44/50kW chargers to move onto, so it's just handier staying on teh Supercharger and going up as high as you need to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Thats why theres a cut off point for a lot of people when they're at say 75-80% or so, they'll stop and head off to the next charger.

Bjorn's 1,000km challenge in an SR+ is a good watch as it gives a good idea of at what point it's not worth charging anymore as it's just too slow... but then again he has a multitude of fast chargers to move onto for his next charge... we have the ecars 44/50kW chargers to move onto, so it's just handier staying on teh Supercharger and going up as high as you need to...

wanted to use up some of the free kms! legged it when the car was about 80% alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Supercharger castle Bellingham , started at 110kw, dropped to 60 and now 50, only car here, is there a reason for throttling?
    Slaanesh wrote: »
    The higher the state of charge, the lower the charge rate. Tapers off a good bit.

You'll find Tesla has very aggressive battery management at Superchargers, all to encourage you to rock up with low SOC and piss off at 80%, I've found I need to arrive in the teens or lower to get high charge rate, if I arrive at say 50% SOC it will take me longer to get to 80% than if I arrived at say 18%....hence if on a roadtrip you are well advised to reach your next Supercharger at low SOC, get enough to reach the next one at low SOC and so on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Hi,
    Some help needed.
    When you are doing a test drive you are not covered by Tesla for insurance purposes. I know I don't have an open policy so any suggestions? What did others do? Turn up early? Call them for the reg number? Will Elon cover the tab if I crash?

Hi,
    Some help needed.
    When you are doing a test drive you are not covered by Tesla for insurance purposes. I know I don't have an open policy so any suggestions? What did others do? Turn up early? Call them for the reg number? Will Elon cover the tab if I crash?

I didn't have open drive at the time, and took a Model 3 for a test drive.. we just showed them our licences, which they photo'd, and off we went in the car.

I assumed they have some sort of garage policy that covers fully licensed drivers for test drives...

I didn't have open drive at the time, and took a Model 3 for a test drive.. we just showed them our licences, which they photo'd, and off we went in the car.

I assumed they have some sort of garage policy that covers fully licensed drivers for test drives...
    Thanks for the reply - I reckon I'll do the same - tried before with the insurance company and you had to tell them an hour before which I don't think I can do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

When you are doing a test drive you are not covered by Tesla for insurance purposes. I know I don't have an open policy so any suggestions?

You would almost certainly have 3rd party cover for driving another car, through your own policy. That's pretty ubiquitous - it is down as "driving of other cars, 3rd party extension".
    That's not open insurance. That doesn't really exist anymore.

I would assume Tesla have the car insured then for themselves, or they don't, it doesn't really matter to you as long as you're legally covered to drive.

Check your own policy for driving of other cars & check if not sure.
    It's likely you'll be covered entirely under Tesla anyway.

You would almost certainly have 3rd party cover for driving another car, through your own policy. That's pretty ubiquitous - it is down as "driving of other cars, 3rd party extension".
    That's not open insurance. That doesn't really exist anymore.

I would assume Tesla have the car insured then for themselves, or they don't, it doesn't really matter to you as long as you're legally covered to drive.

Check your own policy for driving of other cars & check if not sure.
    It's likely you'll be covered entirely under Tesla anyway.

Thank you sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My brother was NOT asked about insurance when taking a Model 3 test drive last year.

The fact Tesla dont ask surely means they have some form of policy in place for themselves based on every driver having full license.

Checking licenses alone therefore is sufficient.

I mean these are 50 k plus cars they are letting random strangers drive.

Mind you my brother's test drive was an accompanied test drive with a Tesla rep in passenger seat.

Whether that makes a difference I don't know - it's unlikely as legacy car dealers have been letting people test drive unaccompanied for years.

Some dealers claim the car is only insured when they're in the car with you which I was told when I test drove the id.3

For all other extended test drives I had to change over my insurance there and then which I was happy with because I knew I was fully insured. In fact the dealer called my insurance there and then which guaranteed that the car was insured.

Ask first don't leave yourself open because if you only have 3rd party insurance driving other cars and you damage the car you are screwed.

Ask the dealer, never take the chance, it's a lot of money to have to pay when all you got to do is make a phone call, costs a lot less than getting taken to court and having to pay car + Legal fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Looks like the Model 3, thread 3 has to happen soon. Near the 10k post mark. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Another two 'ships on the way' reports should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Any recommendations on where to get a wheel cap kit? Nothing on Amazon that will ship to Ireland from what I can see. I'd have no problem just buying the official one off Tesla as it's not big money but I can only find a US store from them and the dealer in Sandyford doesn't sell accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Any recommendations on where to get a wheel cap kit? Nothing on Amazon that will ship to Ireland from what I can see. I'd have no problem just buying the official one off Tesla as it's not big money but I can only find a US store from them and the dealer in Sandyford doesn't sell accessories.

Is Parcel Motel an option for you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

https://www.adverts.ie/21565519

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Old_Sport

Hi, I'm about to put an order for a model 3. Can someone PM me a referral code? Thanks

Already received one. Thanks.

Old_Sport wrote: »
    Hi, I'm about to put an order for a model 3. Can someone PM me a referral code? Thanks

PM sent

Not considering the updated model coming out soon ?

• Advertisement

https://electrek.co/2020/10/08/tesla-model-3-2021-refresh/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Absolutely, wait. Nothing to loose, I doubt anything is going to change in the Budget for electric cars, at the most VRT rates might change a few hundred euros for ICE cars in higher Co2 brackets.

+ the M3 is 4K USD cheaper in China, this is the reason for going with LiFeP04 but how much cheaper it will be here I have no idea.

Of course anything could change But if they have RHD ones in production it might not be long, perhaps Japan will get them first then the U.K, we'll probably be the last how long is anyone's guess.

You could put in an order for the updated model but probably not on their system yet.

Wouldnt be so excited

Those cheap Chinese cells are heavy

If range is similar, weight is going to go up

Weight goes up, performance goes down

Tesla will do some software magic to keep 0-100km/h similar but after that if its a decent weight increase it will be noticeable

Be like buying a 530D and getting a 525D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Gumbo wrote: »

Ambient lighting would be nice feature to be added too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Anyone care to hazard a guess at the sale value of a 192 Performance Model 3? White, 6000kms

bf wrote: »
    Anyone care to hazard a guess at the sale value of a 192 Performance Model 3? White, 6000kms

50’s maybe?

Yeah, I have been following the leaks and I really want the updated model.
    I contacted them yesterday and they said the next vessel is arriving in the middle of January and that if there are any changes between today and the first week of January, the vehicle will include it.

Anyway, I'll be contacted at the beginning of January and they can hold the order if it's not the updated model.

I wanted to order today to guarantee the price before the budged is announced.

I contacted them yesterday and they said the next vessel is arriving in the middle of January and that if there are any changes between today and the first week of January, the vehicle will include it.

Anyway, I'll be contacted at the beginning of January and they can hold the order if it's not the updated model.

The update us supposed to be cheaper, will they refund you if it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

I'm in the exact same " boat " as you Old_Sport.
    Ordering Monday to leave it till the last moment before buget. Would be great if the configurator up-dated to the refresh model but can wait forever.

I don't know. If there's a big difference and they don't want to update the price I could cancel the order and lose the €100 reservation fee.
    The update us supposed to be cheaper, will they refund you if it is ?

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be so excited

Those cheap Chinese cells are heavy

If range is similar, weight is going to go up

Weight goes up, performance goes down

Tesla will do some software magic to keep 0-100km/h similar but after that if its a decent weight increase it will be noticeable

Be like buying a 530D and getting a 525D

They''ll be heavier and unfortunately they can't use the highest energy dense ones because they're optimised for power density but should have really great battery life but they can't use the higher energy dense cells which is a shame.

Only the sr+ is getting the LiFeP04 battery because there wouldn't be space to replace the long range with LiFeP04 but there will be space to fit it for the sr+.

How the weight will matter I don't know but if I were to get it I wouldn't know any better lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Ok so order now is looking like mid January? So another month to think about it (man maths it) for mid Feb delivery :D

lafors wrote: »
    Ok so order now is looking like mid January? So another month to think about it (man maths it) for mid Feb delivery :D

Don't forget to use a referral code.
    If you haven't got one already then PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

50’s maybe?

Just looking on autotrader, cheapest U.K. ones are about £50k - so say high €50s landed here.

Wouldn’t fancy trying to sell privately though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bobjs

Looking at going for a sr+. Either as company car or private purchase. Is there likely to be a change in the current grants in Tuesday’s budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Somebody refused delivery of the new Model 3 because they were very upset about changes in the new design.

Nothing could console them.

• Advertisement

Bobjs wrote: »
    Looking at going for a sr+. Either as company car or private purchase. Is there likely to be a change in the current grants in Tuesday’s budget?

Direct quote from the Tax Strategy Group that advises the government pre budget.

"As presented in last year’s Tax Strategy Paper on Climate Action and Tax, one means of addressing this is to maintain the €5,000 relief in full for all BEVs with an OMSP of up to €40,000, but to then taper the relief by 50% for every €1 of OMSP above €40,000 (i.e. the relief is no longer available where the OMSP is €50,000 or more). The below table illustrates how this would take effect at various levels of OMSP."

Whether it happens or not who knows.
    I'm ordering Monday.PM if you need a referral code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm happy to share my referral code for anyone ordering. drop me a PM (its a gold referral code)

J-W wrote: »
    Direct quote from the Tax Strategy Group that advises the government pre budget.

"As presented in last year’s Tax Strategy Paper on Climate Action and Tax, one means of addressing this is to maintain the €5,000 relief in full for all BEVs with an OMSP of up to €40,000, but to then taper the relief by 50% for every €1 of OMSP above €40,000 (i.e. the relief is no longer available where the OMSP is €50,000 or more). The below table illustrates how this would take effect at various levels of OMSP."

I definitely won't be buying any new EV if the cost goes up, not a hope.

mouthful wrote: »
    Somebody refused delivery of the new Model 3 because they were very upset about changes in the new design.

Nothing could console them.

Sorry but do you mean they were unhappy as their Model 3 didn't have the recently leaked changes like chrome delete etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

nc6000 wrote: »
    Sorry but do you mean they were unhappy as their Model 3 didn't have the recently leaked changes like chrome delete etc?

It was a joke!

• Advertisement

mouthful wrote: »
    It was a joke!

Oh, I see the console bit now.

Fantastic

s8n wrote: »
    I'm happy to share my referral code for anyone ordering. drop me a PM (its a gold referral code)

What’s the difference between your gold referral code and my referral code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

What’s the difference between your gold referral code and my referral code?

I thought you had free supercharging Gumbo?

In that case, wouldn't someone without free supercharging, benefit more :confused:.

I thought you had free supercharging Gumbo?

In that case, wouldn't someone without free supercharging, benefit more :confused:.

Yes. I’ve posted that many times that I don’t pass on my referral code because I already have free SC. Although it’s been pointed out that I can get entered into the monthly draw for a Model Y.

I was curious what the Gold Referral was? I’ve never heard a reference to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Oh yeah the gold referral where Elon hand delivers the car...face palm!

Just a reminder to everyone about to the pull the trigger and order a Model 3...

If you’re going to get Full Self Drive from the outset, wait til you actually have the car before buying the FSD option, as if you select it when you order the car, you’ll pay higher VAT for the car as opposed to if you buy FSD after collecting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

A tesla model 3 sr+ costs 32,000 Euros in the USA before any incentives if any depending on state to state, the same care in Ireland costs 48K Euro's, so where do you think the real issue is with the cost of electric cars or cars in General ? yes, our Government, even with VRT reduction and Grant the Model S is still woefully expensive due to VRT and VAT.

Without the VRT and grant reduction the model 3 in Ireland would start at around nearly 60K that's the difference between affordable and not to many People.

Are you including the US sales tax in that? It varies from state to state but is usually around 7% (AKA VAT) and needs to be added to the price you see quoted by sellers.
    Just a reminder to everyone about to the pull the trigger and order a Model 3...

If you’re going to get Full Self Drive from the outset, wait til you actually have the car before buying the FSD option, as if you select it when you order the car, you’ll pay higher VAT for the car as opposed to if you buy FSD after collecting the car.

That said, if it's long wait until delivery, the FSD price may increase in the meantime and off-set/out-weight any VRT saving.

In my case, by paying with the order, we probably lost about 300 on VRT saving, but by the time the car arrived, the cost of FSD had fone up €1000 and if it had been another couple of months it would have been €2000. So be careful out there.
    If the "4D" re-write is rolled out in EU-land in January and is "amazing" there could be a large FSD cost bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

J-W wrote: »

Can't see anything changing (for the worse) in EV tax reductions/Grants with the Greens now part of the Government. I'm no fan of the Greens but if anything I'd hope they push for more savings to try move more of the population into EV rather than Petrol/Diesel.

Sorry OT I know, this is the Tesla M3 thread :)

Order placed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement