Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

maclek wrote: »
    That's for new orders, existing orders are still considered July, so they'll be here on Monday.

(/s in case you missed it, no one, and that includes Tesla themselves, has any idea when they will arrive)

No, you mean no one in Tesla Ireland knows the delivery dates! Tesla HQ would have a fairly good guestimate of when those cars are due in country. I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Partridge9 wrote: »
    I looked at the figures provided by @Partrigde9 and I'm confused. Why is the company TCO halved?

Because - if your company buys is - its before tax - so cost to you in 'real' terms is 50% (give or take)

My main reason to buy privately and I'm still doubting myself is the fact that I would end up losing my own NCB insurance wise

I contacted my insurance - and good news - I dont lose anything- my policy is the same - as long as I own 100% of the company i.e Im the only employee / im a contractor.
    They did state - that if it was 80/20 ( if I only owned 80%), then they wouldnt honour the above.

On the 'what happens in the end' - I get the imperssion - people keep company cars rolling the whole time - as in - there is no transfer at the end.

Which insurance company is this? Have to get company car insurance in September so interested to see the best way to do this. Own 100%of company too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Looking every day to the Tesla Carriers spreadsheet, still no boat heading Europe... very little hope seeing a Model 3 in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

jarrieta wrote: »
    Looking every day to the Tesla Carriers spreadsheet, still no boat heading Europe... very little hope seeing a Model 3 in July

Is this the one you're using;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Uh_GSkShwPPlrE5mOJcrkZ-T3NmLkLnTo6xqbdtaOI/edit#gid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Which insurance company is this? Have to get company car insurance in September so interested to see the best way to do this. Own 100%of company too.

Please advise which insurance that is. Thanks.

• Advertisement

smokybacon wrote: »
    Please advise which insurance that is. Thanks.

I had heard elsewhere as long as your insurance in your name doesn’t stop for more than one year then you don’t loose it. So personal ins then co ins then personal again etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

jarrieta wrote: »

We need a sizeable batch of RHD VINs registered first. Once that happens they should be on a ship within 7-10 days.

July looks very, very unlikely at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lad in tesla Sandyford reckoned late August for pre orders and September for orders now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is it mad to be considering one of these if I live in an apartment? I only do about 5000km a year and don't drive to work most days

Is it mad to be considering one of these if I live in an apartment? I only do about 5000km a year and don't drive to work most days

There’s few with justifications for buying anything other than the cheapest car on the market if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Kicha

The car price is not 50% even if you buy by company.

You buy car for 50000
    ACA - max is 24000 ( pre tax) no mater how much the car cost. ( So technically you can make a profit if you buy a car will value less than that)

So the remaining 26000 will come post tax. In other words you cannot show it as a tax deductible expense.

If you are claiming ACA in the first year then I don't think you can claim 12.5 every year after.

I am not an accountant..so please correct me if I am wrong..ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Kicha wrote: »
    The car price is not 50% even if you buy by company.

You buy car for 50000
    ACA - max is 24000 ( pre tax) no mater how much the car cost. ( So technically you can make a profit if you buy a car will value less than that)

So the remaining 26000 will come post tax. In other words you cannot show it as a tax deductible expense.

If you are claiming ACA in the first year then I don't think you can claim 12.5 every year after.

I am not an accountant..so please correct me if I am wrong..ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

I am not an accountant ... but you are wrong.

Pay no attention at all to ACA, that is a 'benefit' (of questionable value really except for cash flow purposes) to the company not you.

The benefit is that the company pays the depreciation, the income tax paid for the BIK amount paid is the cost to the individual for the company to do that.

what value you sell the car for, and to whom, must be genuine/at market rates, but the accounts will (must) accurately reflect that, so it doesn't matter squat how much you write off each year, all that matters is what the company bought it for and what it eventually sells it for, and any delta there is a loss, period (how long you need to take to write that loss off is only a cashflow issue)

to be clear, a company buying an asset is buying an asset, not an expense regardless of any ability to write it off quickly, it can still be written off slowly and must be written off accurately if disposed of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not really. I know people that walk to work and have a 507bhp M5 sitting in their garden. It’s a nice to have for when you need it. It’s your money, your hard earned so you can spend it on what you want.

Charging it is my worry. Will you have to get to a public charger once a week or so to charge it or can you fit a charge point to your designated parking spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JPA wrote: »
    But did you like it? Are you getting one?!
    Good review , so you liked it then ?

You thinking about getting one ?

I liked it, but we have a dog so a saloon car doesn't suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

unkel wrote: »

Why wont a saloon car suit the dog?

You can't lock a dog in the boot of a car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eddhorse wrote: »
    Why wont a saloon car suit the dog?

With the back full of kids, the dog would have to go in the boot.
    I’m not sure that’s legal is it, or at the very least recommended.

I have t got any pets so can’t confirm on that.

I always put my two dogs in the boot.
    I may look into that for its legality so.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

I see the configuration tool hasn’t been updated yet...I was expecting solid black to be replaced by white as the base option from 01/07?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

kceire wrote: »

Not really. I know people that walk to work and have a 507bhp M5 sitting in their garden. It’s a nice to have for when you need it. It’s your money, your hard earned so you can spend it on what you want.

Charging it is my worry. Will you have to get to a public charger once a week or so to charge it or can you fit a charge point to your designated parking spot.
    Thanks - I meant it more in terms of charging than justifying my limited use. I already have a Toyota GT86 so not the cheapest of cars and certainly not a necessity for me to have a car at all, but if I do have one I want it to be fun to drive and a bit different. But I park on street so no possibility of charging at home & my work doesn't have a car park.

• Advertisement

Thanks - I meant it more in terms of charging than justifying my limited use. I already have a Toyota GT86 so not the cheapest of cars and certainly not a necessity for me to have a car at all, but if I do have one I want it to be fun to drive and a bit different. But I park on street so no possibility of charging at home & my work doesn't have a car park.

There are quite a lot of ESB Charge Points around for charging now. You might find that there's one near by so you can park up and charge during work or near your apartment or fair few shopping centres even have them now.

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

eddhorse wrote: »
    I always put my two dogs in the boot.
    I may look into that for its legality so.
    Thanks

If part of the back seat folds you can make up a grille to cover the gap so the dog is in the boot but can see out and get air.
    In the past I have used a chrome document tray from an old office desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Simple question.

Why wouldn't I put 50/60k into a model s 75/85d 2-3 years old with a 4 year warranty from Tesla.

Apologies if answered but the thread is a long one

elperello wrote: »
    If part of the back seat folds you can make up a grille to cover the gap so the dog is in the boot but can see out and get air.
    In the past I have used a chrome document tray from an old office desk.

The back seats fold down alright, but unfortunately there is no ski hatch or something like that. So with 3 people in the back of the car, the dog would be in darkness, not being able to see the people. I don't know if this is illegal or not, but I certainly wouldn't do that to my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Simple question.

Why wouldn't I put 50/60k into a model s 75/85d 2-3 years old with a 4 year warranty from Tesla.

If it's a CPO warranty from Tesla then fine, the only reason is antiquated AP1/AP2 tech which will not get the latest updates. AP1 is standalone from mobileye which will not be updated, AP2 is still supported but not FSD capable.

If you are not buying from Tesla then there is only battery and drivetrain warranty. Meaning if the screen breaks on your new 4.5 year old model S you will be out of pocket.

It's a risk, but the S and X are a nicer car than the 3. It's a matter of budget and personal preference. I know if the model X were the same price as a model S I wouldn't even be considering a 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Simple question.

A lot of people prefer the M3 in terms of tech and size. S is a much bigger car, lot more hungry etc. What do u want to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Simple question.

The same question comes up every couple of days on the Tesla Motors subreddit. All the pros and cons have been set out, worth a read if you’re trying to decide. In the end it’s personal preference.

For me I could have gone for a new Model S or a new Model 3 but I just prefer the Model 3. It’s a better size for Irish roads and I prefer the minimalist interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

"So with 3 people in the back of the car, the dog would be in darkness, not being able to see the people. I don't know if this is illegal or not, but I certainly wouldn't do that to my dog. "
    I can see a Tesla upgrade option where you get a little screen and camera in the boot, which displays Fido on the big centre console and lets you chat to the poor bemused mutt. Only $2000! Free rabbit games too to amuse him.

Will have big dog in ours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

In the booth?
    You would not out a big dog in a booth....would you!?
    (Or a small one for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Hi - I see delivery data has moved onto Aug now...

Just wondering how your spec came to €51519 ? I'm trying the standard model, same colour grey, no self drive or tow hitch , black interior - coming in at €49120. So wondering what made up the difference. I know white interior is a bit more but that doesn't equal.
    Maybe there is some payment on completion.

Have you heard any update on your delivery date.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Hi Kicha - can you explain why you cancelled not purchasing through the company? If the price of the car is less than 50k is it not BIK clear?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hartunion wrote: »
    Hi Kicha - can you explain why you cancelled not purchasing through the company? If the price of the car is less than 50k is it not BIK clear?
    Thanks

BIK is based on full price BEFORE grant afaik.

So a 49 k Model 3 is caught for BIK because the before grant price is actually above the 50 k.

Cars bought for a business get a smaller grant from SEAI and some leasing companies cant even pass on the SEAI grant apparently due to some rule.

But your BIK is only on the money over the 50k.

So if its 55k you only pay BIK on 5k.

As a non reservation holder who placed an order at the end of last week for a M3 SR+ can anyone give me an idea of the timeframe as to when I will hear from Tesla and the next steps (VIN number etc)?

When I placed my order their Website was citing a July delivery, now August. Not expecting anyhing before the end of Sept though from what I'm hearing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The back seats fold down alright, but unfortunately there is no ski hatch or something like that. So with 3 people in the back of the car, the dog would be in darkness, not being able to see the people. I don't know if this is illegal or not, but I certainly wouldn't do that to my dog.

It really only works if you have a 2/3 - 1/3 split rear seat back. Of course you lose a seat in the back. Dog happy out in the boot getting plenty of air and looking forward to his run at the end of the journey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

any chance all the discussion on BIK etc could go to the accountancy forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No, as it's relevant to people purchasing an EV for business

In the back seat not boot.

There is a grill under back window. Anyone spot it?

Two kids in middle and left. Seat forward on right for dog. Can lay on seat back. He sheds like mad seriously.

Old diesel wrote: »
    BIK is based on full price BEFORE grant afaik.

So a 49 k Model 3 is caught for BIK because the before grant price is actually above the 50 k.

Cars bought for a business get a smaller grant from SEAI and some leasing companies cant even pass on the SEAI grant apparently due to some rule.

Company saving is only 24k x 12.5% essentially.

Sole trader is at least 52% x 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

AmberGold wrote: »
    As a non reservation holder who placed an order at the end of last week for a M3 SR+ can anyone give me an idea of the timeframe as to when I will hear from Tesla and the next steps (VIN number etc)?

When I placed my order their Website was citing a July delivery, now August. Not expecting anything before the end of Sept though from what I'm hearing...

It wouldn't matter if you had a reservation as it wouldn't come any sooner anyway. I don't think any of the people here who placed their order as soon as it opened here have heard anything and that is a month ago so probably the beginning of August before you hear anything.

shanec1928 wrote: »

Agreed, while it's relevant for people buying an EV in general, this forum thread was supposed to be specific to chatting about the Model 3. It's now strayed into Revenue/Tax and even into the best place to put a dog.

AmberGold wrote: »

When I placed my order their Website was citing a July delivery, now August. Not expecting anyhing before the end of Sept though from what I'm hearing...

To be honest AmberGold, your guess is going to be as good as anyone when it comes to a delivery date and that includes Tesla Ireland staff. I have a feeling though it won't be soon. Your guess of at least September is probably about right if not October. Because September is the end of a financial quarter for Tesla, they might put a push on to deliver by then but it's no guarantee. The only people with any foreknowledge is going to be Tesla Logistics in California and they ain't sharing... ;-) :-P

Hartunion wrote: »
    Hi - I see delivery data has moved onto Aug now...

Just wondering how your spec came to €51519 ? I'm trying the standard model, same colour grey, no self drive or tow hitch , black interior - coming in at €49120. So wondering what made up the difference. I know white interior is a bit more but that doesn't equal.
    Maybe there is some payment on completion.

Have you heard any update on your delivery date.

Thanks

I POSTED THE FOLLOWING BEFORE. I GUESS COST ABOUT 50k. EMAILED TESLA WEEKS AGO NO RESPONSE! MAYBE COST IS $35000!

Quote: smokybacon
    On ordered sr+.....
    On mobile bottom of screen where option cash or finance it says 47840.
    Above picture of car on center it says 48900.
    Manage “your car” says 49880!

In the uk cash (bottom of screen) is £38050.
    Center of screen is £38900
    Says includes delivery charges are £850.

In irl figures wrong way round I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

jfk75 wrote: »
    There are quite a lot of ESB Charge Points around for charging now. You might find that there's one near by so you can park up and charge during work or near your apartment or fair few shopping centres even have them now.

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

Ohhhhhh..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967942

I POSTED THE FOLLOWING BEFORE. I GUESS COST ABOUT 50k. EMAILED TESLA WEEKS AGO NO RESPONSE! MAYBE COST IS $35000!

Quote: smokybacon
    On ordered sr+.....
    On mobile bottom of screen where option cash or finance it says 47840.
    Above picture of car on center it says 48900.
    Manage “your car” says 49880!

In the uk cash (bottom of screen) is £38050.
    Center of screen is £38900
    Says includes delivery charges are £850.

In irl figures wrong way round I think.

"EMAILED TESLA WEEKS AGO NO RESPONSE!" So it's not only me then! They seem to be the absolute pits when it comes to customer queries.

knipex wrote: »

Yep, have to admit I'd be p@ssed too if someone abandoned their car at a charger for the day BUT you could drive to the nearest charger on your lunch break and plug in for 30 mins while you are in a local coffee shop or even in the car (playing Beach Buggy!). Our local Tesco Extra has charge points so charging up for the 30-60 mins you were in the shop is an option. Have a good look around your area and on the route between work and home or home and shops and see what chargers are around. If you're passing a charger a few times you'll get to know if its constantly used or if some bell end is hogging it most days. I've heard there are plans being considered to change to pricing scheme of chargers so that the longer you stay connected the higher the prices will go. Surely it wouldn't be rocket science to have a charge point with a timer option on it. So lets say the charger has a parking place on both sides. You take Side A and pay for 30 mins charge time. When your 30 mins is up, the cable automatically unlocks so that the car in Side B can detach it from your car and use it for theirs??

jfk75 wrote: »
    Y local coffee shop or even in the car (playing Beach Buggy!).

Seriously , are you an 8 year old ? :P :D

^^ Why cant people just charge at home so they don't have to do this?

Seriously , are you an 8 year old ? :P :D

How dare you........I'm 6! :-D :-) ;-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement