Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

eddhorse wrote: »
    ^^ Why cant people just charge at home so they don't have to do this?

Can't charge at home if you have no front garden to install a charger and park your car. You're not allowed to trail a cable across a public footpath. Also people in apartments wouldn't be able to install chargers unless a group of residents petitioned the buildings owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

jfk75 wrote: »
    Agreed, while it's relevant for people buying an EV in general, this forum thread was supposed to be specific to chatting about the Model 3. It's now strayed into Revenue/Tax and even into the best place to put a dog.

Yes strayed a bit. Now if people have permanent info like the bik cap all clawback such info should defo be shared.
    There maybe a large chunk of buyers running businessses etc. Without the bik exemption some may go for year old 320d or something.
    Few private individual can fork out 50 k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The insurance could be an issue, my own car insurance is due up for renewal, A7 similar value to the Tesla @ 50k, I got the insurance co. to throw in the reg for a 50k 15 plate S I took from Carzone. They’re looking for an extra €550.00 so €1250 in total. I’m 50, no points and a full no claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

AmberGold wrote: »
    The insurance could be an issue, my own car insurance is due up for renewal, A7 similar value to the Tesla @ 50k, I got the insurance co. to throw in the reg for a 50k 15 plate S I took from Carzone. They’re looking for an extra €550.00 so €1250 in total. I’m 50, no points and a full no claims.

Interested to see what quotes people are getting for the €60,000 Ferrari quick 263km/h Model 3 Performance?

Can't be cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SirPixie

Anyone here know about EV home chargers? I live in a mid-terrace house, private estate with parking right outside.
    There is a path that runs along the lot of houses but only a very short 4 ft distance from our dividing wall to the car.

Would anyone know if there would be an issue installing a home charger?
    If the cable was on the floor while charging would this be an issue? We can put a cable ramp / protector over it.

SirPixie wrote: »
    Anyone here know about EV home chargers? I live in a mid-terrace house, private estate with parking right outside.
    There is a path that runs along the lot of houses but only a very short 4 ft distance from our dividing wall to the car.

If the cable was on the floor while charging would this be an issue? We can put a cable ramp / protector over it.

As far as I know you just aren't allowed to trail a cable over the public footpath. Apart from being a trip hazard there would be an issue with electrocution risk if anything were to damage to cable. I'm not sure you would get an electrician to even install it. Call an electrician and ask their professional opinion, worse they can say is No.

Have a look here, seems there can be solutions.

http://www.nigelmdaly.com/faqs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Luckylow10

I have a footpath in front of my home between my car space and got home charger installed distance of About 3 ft. It’s a private estate if that makes any difference.

So must depend on the electrician. My own thoughts on it is at end of the day it’s your problem not theirs.. SEAI grant says private car space or drive which is what I have. Then goes on to say that the charger be installed on your own property which it is.

I don’t see how it’s any different to running extension cable /granny cable or garden hose or cable for pressure washer / vacuum cleaner..

The cable will only be out in middle of night so no one walks on the path as it’s end of terrace anyways.

Also in my particular estate the paths are full of bikes/ scooters and planters yet no one complains of them or thinks of them as “trip hazards”

So I guess it’s down to how much traffic is on the footpath and who you get as electrician.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    I have a footpath in front of my home between my car space and got home charger installed distance of About 3 ft. It’s a private estate if that makes any difference.

So must depend on the electrician. My own thoughts on it is at end of the day it’s your problem not theirs.. SEAI grant says private car space or drive which is what I have. Then goes on to say that the charger be installed on your own property which it is.

Ticking time bomb in your situation and in the macro sense. I think you are running the risk of someone filing an injury claim, it’s a matter of when. I think the council should be facilitating homeowners to embed cabling in the footpath at their own cost to avoid this and to circumvent the universal barrier for non-driveway:garage owners.

• Advertisement

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Ticking time bomb in your situation and in the macro sense. I think you are running the risk of someone filing an injury claim, it’s a matter of when. I think the council should be facilitating homeowners to embed cabling in the footpath at their own cost to avoid this and to circumvent the universal barrier for non-driveway:garage owners.

Germany and UK are trialling putting chargers on lampposts outside homes with no driveways, could solve a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SirPixie

Thanks for the replies. Im speaking with an electrician on options, he would need permission from the management agency. We are speaking to the residents association to contact the management agency (owners of the estate), I think if we get the ok from them we should be good. Installing a curbside charger / charger on a pole may be needed.

I imagine this is something countries will have to solve if they want adoption of EVs. We will have to cancel our tesla order if we cant figure this out which is very sad. (no charger at work either)

Lamppost chargers are interesting but we would not have one dedicated to our house so would not run from our supply.

Thanks for the replies. Im speaking with an electrician on options, he would need permission from the management agency. We are speaking to the residents association to contact the management agency (owners of the estate), I think if we get the ok from them we should be good. Installing a curbside charger / charger on a pole may be needed.

I imagine this is something countries will have to solve if they want adoption of EVs. We will have to cancel our tesla order if we cant figure this out which is very sad. (no charger at work either)

Lamppost chargers are interesting but we would not have one dedicated to our house so would not run from our supply.

That's a pity. Yeh the lamppost chargers would be a Service Provider Charger like the ESB charge points so they would run off the national grid and you would swipe a card to be charged for the power used.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/siemens-and-ubitricity-installing-electric-car-charging-points-in-lamp-posts-1.3684434?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's a pity. Yeh the lamppost chargers would be a Service Provider Charger like the ESB charge points so they would run off the national grid and you would swipe a card to be charged for the power used.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/siemens-and-ubitricity-installing-electric-car-charging-points-in-lamp-posts-1.3684434?mode=amp

I think the critical point in the future is that the charge point is there.

It's a neater job if you can rig up direct to own ESB - but because this still won't be possible for all - a system of separately paying your EV energy usage is needed even if the charger is dedicated to you*.

*ie your own parking spot in Apartment block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Try 123.ie. A number of current Tesla owners are insured with them from €525 to €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Luckylow10

BBMcQ wrote: »

I think time bomb might be a little bit over the top . it’s not a council footpath.

Anyways each to their own, I was just trying to provide info that installing a charger is possible and I had few installers out to price up and none were concerned with the location. Perhaps my situation is different tho.

• Advertisement

It's because the costs of repair are exorbitant

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/insane-cost-repair-teslas-achilles-heel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Conflicting opinions on that thread...

On another note I dont know whats going on with the Irish Insurance market. Axa are €1256 which is more or less on a par with the quote I received yesterday and 123.ie are coming in at an amazing €503 for fully comp with a low enough excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Conflicting opinions on that thread...

On another note I dont know whats going on with the Irish Insurance market. Axa are €1256 which is more or less on a par with the quote I received yesterday and 123.ie are coming in at an amazing €503 for fully comp with a low enough excess.

got a couple of quotes for a S85P

Axa wouldn't give me a quote(on the website)
    123.ie was €1600
    FirstIreland €1300

about what i was expecting, but lower is always better

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Well same value model s give quotes of 600-700.
    Interesting what current s owners actually pay. If any out there please let us know.
    The ins people here might make a killing since no regulation / transparency.
    Some ins companies might be 600 because discount for ev cars.
    I always found axa alliance fbd crazy expensive. Wouldn’t go with unknown people as might not know reputation.
    A lot would pull out if ins dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Germany and UK are trialling putting chargers on lampposts outside homes with no driveways, could solve a lot of problems.

Could also cause other problems.
    Generally public lighting is unmetered. So they’ll need to add a revenue meter. Also the cabling isn’t rated for the higher current required to charge at a decent speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone tried to get pcp from a company other than Tesla? I have heard there at companies that will offer pcp but don't know who they are.

digiman wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to get pcp from a company other than Tesla? I have heard there at companies that will offer pcp but don't know who they are.

Interested in this too

Crazy Tesla don't offer it

Some deals in the UK on it

40% gmfv on SR+

Payments alot more manageable with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Interested in this too

40% gmfv on SR+

EVManUK posted a picture of Tesla offering PCP in the UK this morning:

https://twitter.com/evmanuk/status/1146301224158998528

TLDR: Expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not on the irish site yet

Would turn 800pm for the performance into 500-600. Good idea, they will get more sales that way.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not on the irish site yet

Would turn 800pm for the performance into 500-600. Good idea, they will get more sales that way.

They'll get my sale for sure

Under 500pm for SR+

I spend about 200pm max on diesel, 60pm road tax, maintenace another 100pm over the year with yearly nct etc

So 140pm after all that for a 5sec car :)

I can't stomach paying 800pm that is now

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rduggy

They'll get my sale for sure

Under 500pm for SR+

I spend about 200pm max on diesel, 60pm road tax, maintenace another 100pm over the year with yearly nct etc

So 140pm after all that for a 5sec car :)

I can't stomach paying 800pm that is now

This would make payments sooooo much more affordable to most, its working out at 750 a month for me approx with 8k deposit. I reckon with PCP be between 550-575. Which is perfect, gonna reach out to tesla on this as id love confirmation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/tesla-model-3-aces-crash-test-europe/
    The European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) has released safety and crash test results for new vehicles, including the Tesla Model 3, which set a “new safety technology benchmark”, according to the organization....

The Tesla Model 3 achieved one of the highest Safety Assist scores we have seen to date. Its Collision Avoidance Assist system is first class, with its Autonomous Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning systems showing high levels of performance.

Would hope to see this reflected in insurance quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's the link to the results on the Euro NCAP site itself:

linky

96% Adult Occupant, that's a very high score. Only 2 2019 cars have scored higher than that. No car made before 2019 ever achieved a better rating.

rduggy wrote: »
    This would make payments sooooo much more affordable to most, its working out at 750 a month for me approx with 8k deposit. I reckon with PCP be between 550-575. Which is perfect, gonna reach out to tesla on this as id love confirmation

I contacted them as well, sent off message through tesla site

Crazy they don't do pcp

Neworder79 wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/tesla-model-3-aces-crash-test-europe/

Would hope to see this reflected in insurance quotes.

In before somebody else does (edit, as usual Unkel beat me by 2 minutes): "That's not good enough. For adult occupant safety it scored only 96 percent whereas the much cheaper Skoda Skala scored 97. So it's a deathtrap really. Avoid and buy a diesel instead."

• Advertisement

I contacted them as well, sent off message through tesla site

Crazy they don't do pcp

Let me know if they get back to you. Im not expecting them to reply to my email they seem to ignore mails since model 3 became available. Very responsive about Model S in the past :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Interested in this too

40% gmfv on SR+

It confuses me when people say PCP makes it more affordable. How is it more affordable?... you still pay the full price for the car plus interest?

I know your monthly is less but you have a big balloon payment at the end which you will have to pay (or hand back the car and obviously you need a car!).... its swings and roundabouts.

Im interested in how your minds process that to come to the conclusion its more affordable?

Telsa just emailed in relation to delivery and PCP option:

1.) We haven't matched any VINs in Ireland yet. Delivery will be communicated to you by Tesla Delivery team <DeliveryIE@tesla.com>, unfortunately we have no insight into this from the store level. We expect the first deliveries to commence in August 2019.

2.) There is no view to introduce a PCP option for Model 3 in Ireland. Instead we have a 6 year HP option.

KCross wrote: »
    It confuses me when people say PCP makes it more affordable. How is it more affordable?... you still pay the full price for the car plus interest?

I know your monthly is less but you have a big balloon payment at the end which you will have to pay (or hand back the car and obviously you need a car!).... its swings and roundabouts.

Im interested in how your minds process that to come to the conclusion its more affordable?

In my case I would never keep any EV outside warranty so I would just go PCP again, they take the risk with GMFV

I don't want to own any EV basically, especially a Tesla

Telsa just emailed in relation to delivery and PCP option:

1.) We haven't matched any VINs in Ireland yet. Delivery will be communicated to you by Tesla Delivery team <DeliveryIE@tesla.com>, unfortunately we have no insight into this from the store level. We expect the first deliveries to commence in August 2019.

2.) There is no view to introduce a PCP option for Model 3 in Ireland. Instead we have a 6 year HP option.

Disappointing

I got nothing back yet

Disappointing

I got nothing back yet

Ah its like middle ground for me. The PCP was working out about 550-575 a month. A six year HP will be 650 for me approx down from 750 over 5 years.

Ill go the 6 year myself keeps costs down until i know the real cost of having a tesla tbh.

Wish i knew when delviery was realistic though, fair frustrating - my guess is Sept

Ah its like middle ground for me. The PCP was working out about 550-575 a month. A six year HP will be 650 for me approx down from 750 over 5 years.

Ill go the 6 year myself keeps costs down until i know the real cost of having a tesla tbh.

Wish i knew when delviery was realistic though, fair frustrating - my guess is Sept

6 year is intersting for me too

Don't see it on the site

6 year is intersting for me too

Don't see it on the site

Yeah i did see on AIB site a 6 year option, but says on there that car loans are 8.95%. Might be stupid question but the rate of 4.95 on the tesla site will be the rate offered?

What do you think it will be worth after 6 year with approx 120,000 km on it?

Including interest your looking at about total cost of €53,000 after 6 years

Car worth €18,000 after those 6 years?

€35,000 total cost over 6 years/ €486pm

My old deprecaiton free ICE now is approx 200pm fuel, 60pm tax, 100pm maintenace

360pm to keep on the road

Tesla is virtually free to fuel/tax/maintenace

486-360 = 126pm cost for a new Tesla over 6 years compared to what I now

Think those figures look ok

What car you have now?

• Advertisement

Yeah i did see on AIB site a 6 year option, but says on there that car loans are 8.95%. Might be stupid question but the rate of 4.95 on the tesla site will be the rate offered?

Ask them, it would have to be surely

What do you think it will be worth after 6 year with approx 120,000 km on it?

€35,000 total cost over 6 years/ €486pm

My old deprecaiton free ICE now is approx 200pm fuel, 60pm tax, 100pm maintenace

360pm to keep on the road

Tesla is virtually free to fuel/tax/maintenace

486-360 = 126pm cost for a new Tesla over 6 years compared to what I now

Think those figures look ok

What car you have now?

Im in a similar situation -

Car payment atm - 300
    Fuel 120
    Tax 30
    Maintance 100

Total 550

For me the 750 a month just was a tad high but im willing to do it - i think in long run makes a ton of sense. I plan on keeping the car forever if possible - eventually if needed as a second car.

Current car will never have any value to me either so mad to get rid of it, can only see it having costly problems in next 1-2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

My understanding after speaking with AIB & Tesla is:

# Finance direct with Tesla (which is via AIB) is @ 4.95% but is a fixed loan, ie can't be paid off early.
    # Finance with AIB is @ 8.95% but is a variable loan, so you could pay it off with lump sums or increase the monthly payment.

Could be other differences too, but that's what I'm aware of anyway.

What model, options and what deposit and interest rate are you working with to get that total?

Hard to guess really but I'd say a SR+ would be worth about that after 6 years. No matter what options you have ticked (or not). Unless of course batteries are then much cheaper than they are now or supercapacitors are abundant, etc.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    My understanding after speaking with AIB & Tesla is:

# Finance direct with Tesla (which is via AIB) is @ 4.95% but is a fixed loan, ie can't be paid off early.
    # Finance with AIB is @ 8.95% but is a variable loan, so you could pay it off with lump sums or increase the monthly payment.

Could be other differences too, but that's what I'm aware of anyway.

That makes sense to me anyway. Thanks for that

unkel wrote: »
    What model, options and what deposit and interest rate are you working with to get that total?

Hard to guess really but I'd say a SR+ would be worth about that after 6 years. No matter what options you have ticked (or not). Unless of course batteries are then much cheaper than they are now or supercapacitors are abundant, etc.

Base Model €48,000, deposit €8,000, 6 years @ 4.9%

Yeah I think anywhere between 15-18k is realistic for used Model 3 after 6 years

I want to see what Peugeot 208e prices are like too, I know it's completly inferior to Model 3, but if it's €30,000 with 50kWh battery, 100kW charging and respectable sub 8secs to 60 it would do me, much prefer hatch backs to saloons too

I just want something with decent range, that is quickish and value for money

• Advertisement

Base Model €48,000, deposit €8,000, 6 years @ 4.9%

€8k deposit + €40k in repayments + 6 years times €1k interest (4.9% * the average outstanding balance of €20k) = €54k paid

End value €18k, so car cost (€36k / 6 years) = €500 per month in depreciation and financing

Really doesn't look that bad, particularly if you save yourself €200-€300 per month in fuel alone compared to ICE

unkel wrote: »
    €8k deposit + €40k in repayments + 6 years times €1k interest (4.9% * the average outstanding balance of €20k) = €54k paid

End value €18k, so car cost (€36k / 6 years) = €500 per month in depreciation and financing

Really doesn't look that bad, particularly if you save yourself €200-€300 per month in fuel alone compared to ICE

Thanks Unkel

It doesnt look bad at all, fuel is costing me at least 200 a month now, kids getting older and alot more days out/trips

Diesel has over 350km on clock now, served me well, but not long left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Havent seen option of 6yr finance anywhere?

fuel is costing me at least 200 a month now

Plus easily €150 a month less in maintenance, tax (€720 old system?), tolls. Electricity, and motor tax are negligible, so you are talking about TCO of not much more than €150 per month extra compared to your current car which presumably has no value and no longer depreciates. 150 quid, that's less than one night out on the town!!!

2.5 years ago I was looking at a similar comparison myself (for a new EV half the base Model 3 money paid without finance) and for me it was cheaper to buy a brand new EV than to keep my banger. And now it turns out that I was far too pessimistic about the depreciation of the EV, so the figures are even better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KCross wrote: »

In my case I would never keep any EV outside warranty so I would just go PCP again, they take the risk with GMFV

I don't want to own any EV basically, especially a Tesla

ok, but regardless of whether you hand it back or take out another 3yr PCP you still have to come up with extra cash at the end of your PCP. No free dinner, you pay for the car either way.

So, your monthly repayments need to factor in the fact that you need to also be saving extra money on top of that.

You could gamble that you will have decent equity in the car above the GMFV to cover your next deposit but thats a big gamble and one which many have lost.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement