Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

300 people prepared to drop c€50k each on a car they never tested? Are people really this rich or crazy?

This is not a new phenomenon, nor limited to Tesla. It's fairly normal for new low-volume, high-demand cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

What I thought, thanks.

300 people prepared to drop c€50k each on a car they never tested? Are people really this rich or crazy?

No competetion

No one is making a 500km,30 min charging, Ferrari quick EV for €60,000

Honestly anyone that buys a diesel 5 series/A6/E Class instead are the crazy one's.

Performance Model is now $50,000 in the States, best car ever imo at that price

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/tesla-model-3-performance-less-50000-features/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What I thought, thanks.

Cash Price€ 74,399

For tm3 performance spec the color etc that I want.
    Where else do you get 3.4 0-62 (0-100 for the EUcrats) car with no
    /minimal fuel costs?

For comparison the model X perfomance ludicrous (the one I really want) is about 130k, and I'd buy that without test driving it if I could afford it. (actually I'd probably buy it anyway on PCP. 35k down 1k a month, except her indoors would have a meltdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

What I thought, thanks.

I think you'd be nuts to drop €60-75k on a new ICE car in 2019.

If you can give me the link to another EV that does 320miles on a single charge and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds in or below the Model 3 price bracket, I'll book a test drive now!

Cheers!

bdogg wrote: »
    I think you'd be nuts to drop €60-75k on a new ICE car in 2019.

If you can give me the link to another EV that does 320miles on a single charge and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds in or below the Model 3 price bracket, I'll book a test drive now!

Cheers!

Can you even get an ICE car under €100,000 that does 0-60 3.2 secs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What I thought, thanks.

People buy houses off the plans which are worth multiple times more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mike9832 wrote: »

But, what's the point of that performance when the car will spend the majority of it's life sucking fumes from the 2.0 diesel in the traffic in front of it? Even if it gets clear road, it'll either be limited to 120kph, or left in the garage when the driver loses their licence.

It's a bit like all of the expensive 4X4s in the cities that will never see more grass and muck than the central reservation.

Each to their own and all that. I could afford it, but I wouldn't buy a Model 3 performance, or a FSD add on. I just don't see the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I am considering upgrading the dual motor all wheel drive but not for the longer range.

I like the increased acceleration and second motor + premium interior package.

Do people think it’s worth upgrading to this even if my commute is quite short and the range is not an issue on the standard range plus ?

But, what's the point of that performance when the car will spend the majority of it's life sucking fumes from the 2.0 diesel in the traffic in front of it? Even if it gets clear road, it'll either be limited to 120kph, or left in the garage when the driver loses their licence.

The appeal of Tesla performance is that it's most entertaining at legal speeds.

I have that level of performance (more or less) with a motorbike and it's endlessly entertaining at legal speeds. Never gets boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Reply back from DeliveryIE email address. End of August for Irish cars so we can’t forget Triumph Ace.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Cash Price€ 74,399

For tm3 performance spec the color etc that I want.
    Where else do you get 3.4 0-62 (0-100 for the EUcrats) car with no
    /minimal fuel costs?

For comparison the model X perfomance ludicrous (the one I really want) is about 130k, and I'd buy that without test driving it if I could afford it. (actually I'd probably buy it anyway on PCP. 35k down 1k a month, except her indoors would have a meltdown)

Another I don't understand. So what if you go fast to 100kmh? We live in ireland not on a track in Modena

hatrack wrote: »
    Reply back from DeliveryIE email address. End of August for Irish cars so we can’t forget Triumph Ace.

You reached out and emailed them direct did you? I haven't heard a peep from Tesla since ordering!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

I am really trying to understand how the new pricing will affect the Long range prices. I have attached the prices from the invoice. Is the VRT calculated from the base price or the final price including VAT?
    Descrip+on Price (EUR)
    Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive € 57,990.00
    Pearl White Paint Included
    18’’ Aero Wheels Included
    All Black Premium Interior Included
    Autopilot Included
    Delivery & registra+on fee € 980.00
    Price excluding VAT € 47,383.32 Price Including VAT € 58,410.23
    VAT (23%) € 11,026.91
    Price Including VAT € 58,410.23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

hatrack wrote: »

Out in Sandyford this morning & they have a black SR Model 3 there in RHD available for test drive.

As with all things Tesla, got a slightly different story on delivery - original reservation holders in September, anything else likely to be October on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I paid 127k for 4.4 seconds, Tesla is a bargain :cool:

• Advertisement

bf wrote: »
    Out in Sandyford this morning & they have a black SR Model 3 there in RHD available for test drive.

As with all things Tesla, got a slightly different story on delivery - original reservation holders in September, anything else likely to be October on

I honestly don't believe the reservation thing gives any priority. Sounds like spoof from them. Sept/Oct for us all I reckon.

krissovo wrote: »
    I paid 127k for 4.4 seconds, Tesla is a bargain :cool:
    It is somewhat reminiscent of when the Nissan GTR came out. Putting aside the emissions aspect, the Nissan was seen as a "giant slayer" that was a bit ugly to look at, had monstrous acceleration, would go round a track very fast but would prove expensive doing so as it was very heavy.

I'm not claiming that a M3P is like a GTR though, but there are parallels. I can't imagine many GTR owners being asked why they wanted something that fast. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I honestly don't believe the reservation thing gives any priority. Sounds like spoof from them. Sept/Oct for us all I reckon.

It did in the states at launch but now we're well past that "nightmare" it appears to make no difference

slave1 wrote: »
    It did in the states at launch but now we're well past that "nightmare" it appears to make no difference

Yeah, sure a new order was same delivery estimate as my original 1st April 2016 order here when the configurator opened.

We are now out of 'production hell' and in 'logistics nightmare' phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It's a bit like all of the expensive 4X4s in the cities that will never see more grass and muck than the central reservation.

Each to their own and all that. I could afford it, but I wouldn't buy a Model 3 performance, or a FSD add on. I just don't see the value.
    0-60 in 3.2s (and/or 30-60 acceleration) is perfectly legal where the speed limit is 60.

I'm enjoying 0-60 4.9s level here, a far cry from the sub-4s of the Tesla, and already I can't see it ever getting old, until I should be forced by law to ditch the supercharged 3.0 V6 (it's all about the music, for me).

• Advertisement

Another I don't understand. So what if you go fast to 100kmh? We live in ireland not on a track in Modena
    Because life is too short to drive boring cars.
    Like dacias, skodas (my current hack) or nissans/hyundais/kias etc

Eh my Fabia Rs is pretty fun, lightweight, 170bhp+

Done low 7's in it before, too old now to try

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

This thread is 105 pages long and people are coming in with bit*hy comments about no test drives / suggesting other EV cars, as if people buying a model 3 and contributing to this thread are buying the car on a whim.....:rolleyes:

Eh my Fabia Rs is pretty fun, lightweight, 170bhp+

Done low 7's in it before, too old now to try

Low 7s is not really performance territory - these days that's not even hot hatch time. If that's accurate for a 17 year old car it was probably pretty fast in its day. My skoda is a boring 170bhp superb dsg.
    Current car , taxing it by 3 months at a time till I can buy something better.

kev22185 wrote: »
    This thread is 105 pages long and people are coming in with bit*hy comments about no test drives / suggesting other EV cars, as if people buying a model 3 and contributing to this thread are buying the car on a whim.....:rolleyes:
    Most people had the decision made years ago at this stage! I don't understand why people think it's made on a whim

Most people had the decision made years ago at this stage! I don't understand why people think it's made on a whim

39 months ago!

I have my accessories bought already for my model 3 - frunk gas struts, screen protector, nomad wireless charger, console wrap ... and got a Tesla high powered wall connector installed at home.

Just gimmie the car!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Lumen wrote: »
    It is somewhat reminiscent of when the Nissan GTR came out. Putting aside the emissions aspect, the Nissan was seen as a "giant slayer" that was a bit ugly to look at, had monstrous acceleration, would go round a track very fast but would prove expensive doing so as it was very heavy.

I'm not claiming that a M3P is like a GTR though, but there are parallels. I can't imagine many GTR owners being asked why they wanted something that fast. :pac:

I drive a big merc with a big lump of an engine, for me its the torque and the effortless drive and not speed. EV's have a similar driving experience as large torque(y) engines. Its not the speed, it's the effortless driving always in the right torque band & gear for a smooth take off. Even a nissan leaf is a better drive than most so called premium cars with 2tlr diesels pulling them along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

39 months ago!

I have my accessories bought already for my model 3 - frunk gas struts, screen protector, nomad wireless charger, console wrap ... and got a Tesla high powered wall connector installed at home.

Just gimmie the car!!!

Cant you post links to where to buy those if you have them at hand? I definitely will need the console wrap and the wireless charger

Replacement Gas Struts for self opening frunk I got from Amazon.
    See the mod in action here.

Wireless Charger: I went with Nomad, but Jeda also have a version 2 which is meant to be very good. Tesla also have an official one just released but Nomad or Jeda were out first and have refined their product well at this stage.

For wraps and screen protectors etc you can go with pricey abstract ocean, or you can go with cheaper amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kicha

39 months ago!

Just gimmie the car!!!
    I have home charger installed..waiting for other accessories to be shipped...made the decision to buy Tesla last year..@elonmusk ship it will u?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Replacement Gas Struts for self opening frunk I got from Amazon.
    See the mod in action here.

Wireless Charger: I went with Nomad, but Jeda also have a version 2 which is meant to be very good. Tesla also have an official one just released but Nomad or Jeda were out first and have refined their product well at this stage.

For wraps and screen protectors etc you can go with pricey abstract ocean, or you can go with cheaper amazon.co.uk

That frunk mod is fantastic! I wonder why Tesla don't up-spec their struts to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Hyundai’s and Kia. Wake me up from this nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

rg_lv wrote: »
    I am really trying to understand how the new pricing will affect the Long range prices. I have attached the prices from the invoice. Is the VRT calculated from the base price or the final price including VAT?
    Descrip+on Price (EUR)
    Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive € 57,990.00
    Pearl White Paint Included
    18’’ Aero Wheels Included
    All Black Premium Interior Included
    Autopilot Included
    Delivery & registra+on fee € 980.00
    Price excluding VAT € 47,383.32 Price Including VAT € 58,410.23
    VAT (23%) € 11,026.91
    Price Including VAT € 58,410.23

HOW MUCH IS THE CAR?
    BELOW FROM THE WEBSITE.

Select Your Car

Estimated delivery: August
    409km
    Range (WLTP)
    225km/h
    Top Speed
    5.6s
    0-100 km/h
    Rear-Wheel Drive
    Partial Premium Interior
    Standard Range Plus
    €48,900
    Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
    Premium Interior
    Long Range
    €57,990
    Performance
    €61,990
    Select Wheels
    18’’ Aero WheelsIncluded
    € 47,840
    Purchase Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why did you install the charge point before buying the car? I think that means you cant claim the charge point grant.... I suppose €600 is irrelevant when you are buying a €50k+ car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

KCross wrote: »
    Why did you install the charge point before buying the car? I think that means you cant claim the charge point grant.... maybe €600 is irrelevant when you are buying a €50k+ car! :)

The Grant Offer Letter lasts for six months. I had mine installed a week ago so unless the car doesn't arrive until Jan/Feb 2020 I'll still get the grant.

Why did you install the charge point before buying the car? I think that means you cant claim the charge point grant.... I suppose €600 is irrelevant when you are buying a €50k+ car! :)

If you think €600 is a lot, then I wouldn't recommend spending €150k+ gutting and renovating a house!

I got my spark to put in the charger during renovating. I wasn't bothered waiting - as you have to give them the reg of your car after purchasing it to avail of the grant... and I'm sure the SEAI person would be dearer too and the Tesla charger not covered - and I'd have no charger for about 6-8 weeks after delivery of my car in that case and be charging off the 3 pin plug at 3miles an hour.

I got the spark doing my work to wire for it first fix and then fit it within the tender.

jfk75 wrote: »
    The Grant Offer Letter lasts for six months. I had mine installed a week ago so unless the car doesn't arrive until Jan/Feb 2020 I'll still get the grant.

This is Tesla we are talking about. Could easily be Jan/Feb before you get your car! ;)

Did you get your Letter of Offer before you bought/installed the charge point? I think all works have to be dated after the Letter of Offer otherwise they dont qualify.

I just dont think there is a need to risk the 6 month thing. Get the car first(or at least confirmation of delivery date), then install the charge point. Spending a few weeks/months charging from an extension lead will be fine if it came to that.

I got my spark to put in the charger during renovating. I wasn't bothered waiting - as you have to give them the reg of your car after purchasing it to avail of the grant... and I'm sure the SEAI person would be dearer too and the Tesla charger not covered - and I'd have no charger for about 6-8 weeks after delivery of my car in that case and be charging off the 3 pin plug at 3miles an hour.

I got the spark doing my work to wire for it first fix and then fit it within the tender.

Its not an SEAI person does it. Its any certified electrician does it, so your own spark could have got the grant for you and any charge point would qualify.

All you would have had to do was pre-wire it. Once you had a confirmed delivery date for the car, get the grant letter of offer and then get the spark to connect it up which would have been simple at that point.

I can understand getting it all done as part of a renovation though.... €600 isnt much in the grand scheme of a renovation and more hassle dealing with SEAI paperwork etc.

Best of luck with the car when it arrives.

This is Tesla we are talking about. Could easily be Jan/Feb before you get your car! ;)

Did you get your Letter of Offer before you bought/installed the charge point? I think all works have to be dated after the Letter of Offer otherwise they dont qualify.

I just dont think there is a need to risk the 6 month thing. Get the car first(or at least confirmation of delivery date), then install the charge point. Spending a few weeks/months charging from an extension lead will be fine if it came to

You can buy the charger no problem before you get your SEAI offer letter but you cannot employ an electrician or install the charger without the letter. A decent electrician will ask you first if you have your letter as the electricians have to fill in part of the letter you received on the day they install the charger. Only takes a couple of days to get it.

• Advertisement

Its not an SEAI person does it. Its any certified electrician does it, so your own spark could have got the grant for you and any charge point would qualify.

All you would have had to do was pre-wire it. Once you had a confirmed delivery date for the car, get the grant letter of offer and then get the spark to connect it up which would have been simple at that point.

I can understand getting it all done as part of a renovation though.... €600 isnt much in the grand scheme of a renovation and more hassle dealing with SEAI paperwork etc.

Best of luck with the car when it arrives.

Just an FYI, if you have an Instant Electric Shower in your home, you must have a "Priority Device" installed onto your fuse board. The device prevents both the charger and the shower using power at the same time. This would cause an overload and a fire risk. This adds to the cost of the installation. My own was €900 for 15m of 6² cabling, new rcd, Priority device....vat....labour...etc etc.

Just an FYI, if you have an Instant Electric Shower in your home, you must have a "Priority Device" installed onto your fuse board. The device prevents both the charger and the shower using power at the same time. This would cause an overload and a fire risk. This adds to the cost of the installation. My own was €900 for 15m of 6² cabling, new rcd, Priority device....vat....labour...etc etc.

Some charge points have load sensing and dont require the priority switch.... e.g. Zappi and Garo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

How fast will the Model 3 charge at home?

Do you need a specific square of cable and breaker to achieve the maximum charging?

Is there any future proofing that we can do that will support more powerful chargers in the future?

digiman wrote: »

Do you need a specific square of cable and breaker to achieve the maximum charging?

Is there any future proofing that we can do that will support more powerful chargers in the future?

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/charging-connectors

6mm² twin plus earth is the cabling used on domestic chargers as far as I know. There is a hell of a lot of draw from the charger so make sure a RECI electrician does the work. There are higher chargers available already but they need three phase supply I think. Anyone can request a 3 phase connection from the ESB, they'll survey your current line.

Unless you have 3 phase nearby you are stuck with single phase which will limit you to 32A charge points for now.

Put in 10sqmm cable to support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/charging-connectors

6mm² twin plus earth is the cabling used on domestic chargers as far as I know. There is a hell of a lot of draw from the charger so make sure a RECI electrician does the work. There are higher chargers available already but they need three phase supply I think. Anyone can request a 3 phase connection from the ESB, they'll survey your current line.

Regarding the 3 phase connection, do you have to pay any extra to get that done and is there any recurring charges later in your monthly bill for 3 phase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

With my Tesla Wall Connector my Model S charges at a rate of 33-35 km/h. I presume a Model 3 would charge at a similar rate.

Regarding the 3 phase connection, do you have to pay any extra to get that done and is there any recurring charges later in your monthly bill for 3 phase?

Generally, 3ph costs a fortune to get in a house in this country unless it happens to already be near your house.

If they have to put up poles to get it to you you would be looking at many thousands to get it.

ESB would have to come to your house and assess your location and give you a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

So the edit is gone again for me- third time lucky?
    Expecting a call from Elon anytime!
    He may need to rush seems the government is gearing up to reduce the tax incentives for any car over €45k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just FYI, if you read through a few posts, I don’t think you have to explain any of this to KCross. He is one of the most experience electrical guru’s on here ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

M3 review by Quentin Willson makes for a good watch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement