Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

unkel wrote: »
    Now wake up to the coffee and if you don't like a late 2019 car, don't get it plated until 2020.

I’ll hop on the car as soon as they offer it to me (km’s dictate value, not the year — in my idealistic world) but my only worry is getting an email in November/December at the same time news of more EV grants coming in 2020 to potentially lower the cost of the car.

(Also, this is the first time in years I’ve logged into boards... just for this thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

No discussion of Irish RND here- but interesting nevertheless including number of British orders.
    https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/model3-transport-mode/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jusmeig wrote: »
    The adjustment options are great and although I could not set it, it will be awesome to create a profile so this is all saved and automatically adjusts.

You can setup multiple profiles. It's like logging into a computer as a user all with your own settings.
    The acceleration is epic

And that was the SR+. I drove the LR AWD which obviously accelerates significantly faster. On a par with the BMW M6 V10 5l I drove a few years ago and also on a par with a Model S 90D I drove in Sandyford.

Now imagine how fast the Performance is :D And then imagine how fast a Model S ludicrous accelerates :D:D Must try that some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 alexpowermetal

I took a plunge today. Invoice number 32X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

You can setup multiple profiles. It's like logging into a computer as a user all with your own settings.

And that was the SR+. I drove the LR AWD which obviously accelerates significantly faster. On a par with the BMW M6 V10 5l I drove a few years ago and also on a par with a Model S 90D I drove in Sandyford.

Now imagine how fast the Performance is :D And then imagine how fast a Model S ludicrous accelerates :D:D Must try that some time!

I think if I ever test drive the P, I'd like it to be on a track...where it's most at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think if I ever test drive the P, I'd like it to be on a track...where it's most at home.

Heavy road cars on motor racing circuits tend to be heartbreaking or at least wallet-busting. Even if you could find one with a fast charger, the brakes and tyres would be shot in a few laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I see the Triumph Ace has made it to Zebrugge

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:408974/zoom:14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

eddhorse wrote: »
    I see the Triumph Ace has made it to Zebrugge

Possibly more relevant, the SFL Conductor is loading up RHD as we speak

https://twitter.com/TeslaOwnersUK/status/1158027713904619520 )

A lot more white model 3s than a month ago for some reason....

Anyways heres the tracking link for this ship.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:462161/zoom:14

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

I changed from black to red ... there are almost no red ones there!!! Aaaarghhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I switched from a red SR+ to a white LR, hopefully there will be few in the lineup :D

eddhorse wrote: »
    A lot more white model 3s than a month ago for some reason....

The reason is that white is now free :p

The reason is that white is now free :p

Sorry I should have put the sarcasm tag in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

I’ve had a response back from Tesla on my query about delivery dates. I had received an email two weeks ago saying Irish deliveries would start at the end of August. I emailed again after seeing some people had been told September / October.

It doesn’t achieve anything but I guess it allows me to vent anyway. Today they’ve said:
    - deliveries starting end of September;
    - hope to have Tesla account ready for input by end of August;
    - acknowledged that due to how cars are manufactured in batches some non-reservation holders will receive before reservation holders (I had noted that this seemed to be happening in the UK); and
    - stated that due different marketing and registration process, Ireland and UK will have different delivery timings.

I presume the registration process they are referring to is the SEAI process? So we may get a car assigned to us a few weeks before delivery to start the SEAI process with delivery once that’s been approved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Test drive booked in a 3 for Friday in the US. Any model differences I should look for apart from AP which I'm looking forward to trying out. Based on their location I will hope to get it out on the interstate. Not sue what version they will have available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

traco wrote: »
    Test drive booked in a 3 for Friday in the US. Any model differences I should look for apart from AP which I'm looking forward to trying out. Based on their location I will hope to get it out on the interstate. Not sue what version they will have available though.

I’m in SF at the moment. Have seen about 20 model 3’s in past couple of days. Have a LR model 3 booked on Turo for 2+ weeks. Planning on putting 1800 miles on her travelling round California. Will share insights if anyone is curious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

hatrack wrote: »
    I’ve had a response back from Tesla on my query about delivery dates. I had received an email two weeks ago saying Irish deliveries would start at the end of August. I emailed again after seeing some people had been told September / October.

It doesn’t achieve anything but I guess it allows me to vent anyway. Today they’ve said:
    - deliveries starting end of September;
    - hope to have Tesla account ready for input by end of August;
    - acknowledged that due to how cars are manufactured in batches some non-reservation holders will receive before reservation holders (I had noted that this seemed to be happening in the UK); and
    - stated that due different marketing and registration process, Ireland and UK will have different delivery timings.

I presume the registration process they are referring to is the SEAI process? So we may get a car assigned to us a few weeks before delivery to start the SEAI process with delivery once that’s been approved?

There is a good chance then that there will be no Irish cars on the SFL Conductor then & it will be the next European ship, although may depend on how they intend to get cars from Zebrugge to Dublin.

I can see last few days of September being interesting given how important delivery numbers per quarter are for Tesla!

Anything past September & I’ll be thinking long and hard about waiting for a 201 plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you haven't yet ordered, I'd be waiting for October's budget before pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 alexpowermetal

If you haven't yet ordered, I'd be waiting for October's budget before pulling the trigger.
    Please explained more, what's in October budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Ah ffs

Tesla registered around ~13,440 Right-Hand-Drive Model 3s in July alone, the latest batch of 16,442 total Model 3s registered has 3,950 RHDs included. Britain has ordered 10k-

mouthful wrote: »
    Tesla registered around ~13,440 Right-Hand-Drive Model 3s in July alone, the latest batch of 16,442 total Model 3s registered has 3,950 RHDs included. Britain has ordered 10k-

UK hasn’t ordered 10k. It’s probably closer to 6k. Invoice numbers have only recently crossed 8k and there has been a lot of new invoices issued for order updates so some people will be responsible for two or three invoices.

hatrack wrote: »
    UK hasn’t ordered 10k. It’s probably closer to 6k. Invoice numbers have only recently crossed 8k and there has been a lot of new invoices issued for order updates so some people will be responsible for two or three invoices.

Where is your source? This is mine https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/model3-transport-mode/

mouthful wrote: »

Their logic is flawed. Invoice numbers have been sequential so unreported invoices/orders don’t matter. All that’s needed is a recent invoice.

Final invoices have been hitting UK accounts and they’ve just crossed the 8k mark in the last few days. Given the number of people who have changed their orders after the prices changes 6k might even be on the high side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

They may be trying to offload rhd cars to uk due to the drop in sterling and if so we may be in for a wait in Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Please explained more, what's in October budget.
    Introduction of a potential scrappage scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beanian wrote: »
    Introduction of a potential scrappage scheme

Can't see that it makes much sense. They should focus on incentives/interventions to fix the charging infrastructure so that people don't feel they need to be driving around 60kWh battery packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maulvand

Bit of advise needed please.
    I have an order placed since June 12th for a performnce with performance pack.(Performance, grey paint, performance pack and black interior)
    Now with the new prices on the website to order the exact spec I have originally picked is 4k cheaper.
    If I edit the deign and select the exact options as before do I get the lower price- or would I get it anyway?

So I risk falling down the list in terms of delivery by doing this?
    Thanks for any help given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

maulvand wrote: »
    I have an order placed since June 12th for a performnce with performance pack.(Performance, grey paint, performance pack and black interior)
    Now with the new prices on the website to order the exact spec I have originally picked is 4k cheaper.
    If I edit the deign and select the exact options as before do I get the lower price- or would I get it anyway?

Is your price the same as before in your acount? When I was about to take delivery of my Model S two years ago, Tesla also reduced prices (to avoid any cancellations I guess) and I got the reduced price. I'd contact Tesla to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maulvand

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Is your price the same as before in your acount? When I was about to take delivery of my Model S two years ago, Tesla also reduced prices (to avoid any cancellations I guess) and I got the reduced price. I'd contact Tesla to be sure though.

Thanks.

Price has not changed since I ordered it- hopefully it'll be like your experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

maulvand wrote: »

I think a lot of people have this fear that Tesla are only shipping to Europe what was ordered. if you look at the LHD EU cars, people who hadn't ordered were still able to buy one with a delivery time comparable to people who had ordered. I believe the same situation will apply to the RHD market.

Ask Tesla if you will be getting the reduced price, and if they don't reply, or their reply is a negative, just cancel and buy one off the shelf when they finally arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have this fear that Tesla are only shipping to Europe what was ordered. if you look at the LHD EU cars, people who hadn't ordered were still able to buy one with a delivery time comparable to people who had ordered. I believe the same situation will apply to the RHD market.

Ask Tesla if you will be getting the reduced price, and if they don't reply, or their reply is a negative, just cancel and buy one off the shelf when they finally arrive.

What I did is editing my order and not changing anything, it came down over 4k. Just in case, now I have my booking order with the correct amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Just back from the test drive. Super impressed. The drive is really very nice and the regenerative braking is strange at first but then becomes seem less. Really great steering dynamics under real world conditions and I smoked everyone at every lights without even realising I was going fast. You’d want to keep an eye on the speed limit though. I was surprised by the amount of storage space and how usable it is. The stereo was very good (coming from a Mazda Bose system). The car really feels airy. Some ppl have mentioned the fit and finish etc, it’s certainly not VAG or BMW level of refinement but it’s definitely above average. The tyre noise on the motorway makes the car feel like a diesel (in that there is no engine noise from the diesel either) but then you go to overtake and it’s like a laser. You seriously go from 100 to 130 in no time.

Salesman said any new orders now will be early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Glovis Cosmos is the next ship booked to go to Europe, due to go through Panama Canal on 21st August. Ties in potentially with deliveries here in September.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Just back from the test drive. Super impressed. The drive is really very nice and the regenerative braking is strange at first but then becomes seem less. Really great steering dynamics under real world conditions and I smoked everyone at every lights without even realising I was going fast. You’d want to keep an eye on the speed limit though. I was surprised by the amount of storage space and how usable it is. The stereo was very good (coming from a Mazda Bose system). The car really feels airy. Some ppl have mentioned the fit and finish etc, it’s certainly not VAG or BMW level of refinement but it’s definitely above average. The tyre noise on the motorway makes the car feel like a diesel (in that there is no engine noise from the diesel either) but then you go to overtake and it’s like a laser. You seriously go from 100 to 130 in no time.

Salesman said any new orders now will be early next year.

quick one, were you allowed pick the test drive route? I had to cancel my test drive today due to a leg injury. I'd love to be able to take it down the N11 (to experience take off at the lights) then do the back roads from Enniskerry back to the dealership (to see how it feels on twisty roads) but fear it'd be too long of a trek.

bf wrote: »
    Glovis Cosmos is the next ship booked to go to Europe, due to go through Panama Canal on 21st August. Ties in potentially with deliveries here in September.....

Triumph Ace has just left Bremerhaven bound for Southampton arriving tomorrow. I had assumed that it would have offloaded the RHDs in Zeebrugge, but perhaps they'll be arriving tomorrow in Southampton..?

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Triumph Ace has just left Bremerhaven bound for Southampton arriving tomorrow. I had assumed that it would have offloaded the RHDs in Zeebrugge, but perhaps they'll be arriving tomorrow in Southampton..?

It has definitely offloaded some as there has been a number of deliveries in the UK today. Would be strange to offload some in Zeebrugge and then some more in Southampton.

Either way it doesn’t matter. Glovis Cosmos looks like the one that will most likely carry our cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Then they would be subject to import duties, since there would no longer be any pretence of being made in the EU.

• Advertisement

Then they would be subject to import duties, since there would no longer be any pretence of being made in the EU.

But I don't believe there ever was a pretence with the Model 3 ? With the Model S, yes - where it is disassembled in Fremont into three pieces and reassembled in Tilburg - but with the Model 3 ? I haven't heard that..

quick one, were you allowed pick the test drive route?

Nope - but the route they have gives you a good all round idea of the driving dynamics. From the garage you head left at the Beacon and southbound on the M50 all the way to Cherrywood. Then you head north on the N11 until Leopardstown road (several sets of lights here for quick take off). You go through the Leopardstown junction up to Burton Hall Road and another left brings you back up Blackthorn Road towards the Tesla Garage again. The 30 mins test drive is about 20 mins on the road and 10 mins showing you the screen, settings, boot size, the smartphone app and how to charge etc.

Forgot to add, there was a tow truck parked in the entrance of the Tesla Garage and it made me jam on the brakes. My god. The belt nearly cut the poor sales guy in half. They are strong brakes! In normal driving you rarely use the brake pedal because of the regenerative braking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

M3P in black just drove by me here in Albuferia, Portugal.
    Looked well.

They are subject to import duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Forgot to add, there was a tow truck parked in the entrance of the Tesla Garage and it made me jam on the brakes. My god. The belt nearly cut the poor sales guy in half. They are strong brakes! In normal driving you rarely use the brake pedal because of the regenerative braking.

Have put in about 200 miles on a white LR Model 3 here in California so far on a road trip. Had to find it in a parking lot in Oakland and grab the keycard from under a wheel and YOLO it onto the nearest freeway. Got the hang of it after 1.5hrs or so and got a baptism of fire with LHD and 7 lane freeways and the mountain drive from San Fran to Yosemite.

There is like zero need to use the break pedal I’ve found. The M3 LR rear wheel drive that I’m in had plenty of poke. We stopped at two super chargers on the way. So quick you’d barely have your food arrive before you’re done. Like 15-20 mins max. We only stopped to be sure we had battery hitting the National Park. There was no need really as I changed for free at the charger here in Evergren lodge.

Other thoughts on the car - it’s amazing. The phone key works brilliant - haven’t needed to use the keycard at all. Autopilot was a bit nerve wracking, but it’s actually pretty useful for the freeway as the “navigate on autopilot” feature will ask you to change lanes to move faster into a quicker lane and also will take your exit for you - which removes a lot of stress about missing an exit. It then will switch off. Autopilot is also great for rubbernecking on a road trip as you can take your eyes off the road for 5-10 seconds to take in that view or landmark. And the glass roof is brilliant. It was 40 degrees Celsius outside and the AC kept us comfortable. The glass is well tinted and a non-issue. So don’t worry about it being too hot.

I took my nomad phone charger for model 3 with me and it’s been working great - arrive with phones fully charged and can stream our Bluetooth podcasts or music without worrying. Also have the Tesla cam set up via a flash drive for piece of mind / taking in some memories.

Car will be well worth the wait. It’s great to drive and the charging and supercharging via the inbuilt maps is practically idiot proof.

Have seen 50+ model 3’s since getting from San Fran to here and every colour way is great. It’s a fab looking car!

bdogg wrote: »
    There is like zero need to use the break pedal I’ve found.

Yeah big time second this. It’s like you have to retrain your brain on how to drive. When I jammed on, my left foot came up to hit the clutch! On holidays in a rental automatic you are conditioned to drive different to a manual because you’re on foreign roads! It felt like I was playing a video game. It’s like I was in a OG Segway and everyone else was walking.

Another question, does anyone know what mileage the Tesla “after savings” price is based on? 5 year hire purchase with about 10-11k deposit works out at 674 before and 526 per month after. Also the Tesla salesman mentioned a 6 year option, anyone know about this?

Just arriving in Southampton !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Nope - but the route they have gives you a good all round idea of the driving dynamics.

I had my test drive this week too, same route, it went very quickly. I was surprised by, how not-surprised I was to be able to drive it, having never driven an EV before. I was slightly concerned about the one pedal accelerate/re-gen brake but I think it can be learned very quickly and destroy any joy one ever had at driving an ICE, ever again. The acceleration in a SR+ is something else, it confirmed to me that the Performance performance would be wayyy too much for me. Slightly miffed I didn't get to give it the real test on some back roads (Rocky Valley anyone?) but I guess there's that to look forward to.

Thanks to alexpowermetal I've updated the TM3 Invoice curve, the 3 month prediction has jumped to 338 ( from 308 last time)

pKgwCXL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

qq based upon many of the comments in this thread - how many of those who have test driven the Model3 or how many of those on the thread who have ordered are previous/current EV Drivers?

• Advertisement

I am not a previous EV owner.
    I am test driving next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement