Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

catharsis wrote: »
    qq based upon many of the comments in this thread - how many of those who have test driven the Model3 or how many of those on the thread who have ordered are previous/current EV Drivers?

I ordered before I test drove, but have test driven since.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I test drove a kona 64kw bit disappointed with interior, very small in rear and I thought didn't feel like a 50k car ( before grants), next was a 2 day test in a 40kw leaf, nicer interior leather etc but range was only 200-220 kms real world, up next was a short trip in a Kia e niro , more space inside and price ok but dealer couldn't get a 64kw one, final drive in a M3 SR last week, very impressed with space inside, performance and handling I know it's the most expensive but for the range, performance and tech, charging speed etc I think it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I have a leaf 40 and merc c350e. I've sat in the model 3 but I've a multi decade history of not test driving my cars before purchase so why break that streak?

The leaf is a launch edition which isn't as nice as the sve. The interior isn't great, the sound system is terrible but the car is so much fun to drive. I am wondering if I'm going to miss the one pedal driving and android auto.

Interestingly the first new car I ever owned was made in the same factory as the model 3. Didn't test drive that one either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maclek wrote: »
    I am wondering if I'm going to miss the one pedal driving and android auto.

I'd say you will miss one pedal driving. The car coming to a stop by itself is nice.

Does Model 3 not offer Android Auto? I guess it would interfere too much with the controls of the car itself - you are not allowed to use the screen for anything but Tesla stuff. I have Android Auto myself but I never use it as I refuse to plug in my phone into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

unkel wrote: »
    Does Model 3 not offer Android Auto?

Nope.

• Advertisement

I refuse to plug in my phone into anything.

Eh, what now??

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I'd say you will miss one pedal driving. The car coming to a stop by itself is nice.

The way I've seen it explained is since the leaf epedal uses regen and braking it conflates the two actions and making regen somewhat less effective, ie you're going to apply braking when you might have better off slowing down sooner. On the tesla the accelerator fully up only ever does regen, so you'll get less of it depending on the charge level and battery temperature but you're better off with this feedback.

On the tesla you can tap the brake pedal to hold the car, I also read that a recent software update lets you auto activate the brake hold after being stopped for a second, need to find out more about that.

Were those who recently test drove using high or low regen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Nope.
    How much this lack of Android auto/Apple Carplay affects the driving experience w.r.t music and maps is tricky to figure out.

In the US there is no Spotify in the Teslas (there is in Europe), and since most of the forums are dominated by US owners their experiences tend to cloud the issue.

From what I can tell by desk-based research (as opposed to actually driving the thing), Tesla's traffic-based navigation is not as good as Google's, and is not likely to be any time soon, because Google is using (amongst other sources) the phones of every Android user on the road to figure out what the traffic is doing.

So do you rely on the worse Tesla nav or use your phone? Navigating on the phone is an absurd experience when you're sitting in front of a massive touchscreen. The music or radio won't mute on the Tesla sound system so you might miss audio prompts, and the phone screen won't be in line of sight unless you bodge a dashboard or screen mount.

You can use your phone for multimedia and maps and route the audio to the car via Bluetooth, but you still can't see the map properly.

It's frustrating.

edit: some useful suggestions here, which I'll try out when I get my Model 3 rental in mid-Sept.
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/i-finally-got-android-assistant-to-work-in-the-m3.126153/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

maclek wrote: »
    On the tesla the accelerator fully up only ever does regen, so you'll get less of it depending on the charge level and battery temperature but you're better off with this feedback.

On the tesla you can tap the brake pedal to hold the car, I also read that a recent software update lets you auto activate the brake hold after being stopped for a second, need to find out more about that.

Were those who recently test drove using high or low regen?

The two options in this software build for regen on model 3 are “Standard” and “Low”. The standard option is the one we’ve had on for the past week and it’s aggressive enough. We haven’t tried the Low setting. There is a energy display bar underneath the speed display that grows from a central point in either of two directions. Seemed confusing at first, but when you accelerate it grows to the right in black to illustrate energy consumption. When you let your foot off the accelerator it grows to the left in green to indicate amount of regen to the battery.

Noticed that regen in the mountains was considerable - think we got 20-30 miles back. Mind you we did go from 6000ft elevations to -200ft or so - so not exactly everyday driving.

The regen display will have dots to the end of it when “regen is limited”. This occurs when your battery is full, as it obviously can’t take any more charge capacity.

Re: brake pedal. You hold the break pedal down for 2 seconds or so to place the car in “hold”, this is handbrake on pretty much and you can just hit accelerator pedal then to drive.

I have noticed the car automatically entering hold mode when we’ve been stopped for a bit or stopped on an incline. That must be software update you speak of.

Park mode is another thing and you must be in hold and then press in the right hand stalk. Car makes a different noise then - sounds like a more permanent brake coming on.

Have got to trying auto park in a couple of situations. It handled a parallel park quickly and well - this is good for avoiding kerbing your rims. The reverse into space park is a little more unrefined. The car takes ages and kept realigning itself and driving back out to take another go.

Re: CarPlay and Android Auto. The maps and nav are brilliant. They appear to use Google’s info and map tiles, so the navigation is top notch. The inbuilt media player is great too. You can Bluetooth anything from your iPhone or Android via Bluetooth audio and control it from the model 3 screen. Pairing and management is a breeze and the UI is buttery smooth. Such a change compared to fighting with Audi, BMW or most other cars stuttering confusing media units. I don’t think you’ll miss CarPlay or Android Auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Well here's the update after the test drive and all I can say is I want one!
    For perspective my daily drive is Skoda Superb estate and i'm around a 50k kms per year merchant. I also have a 2003 Boxster S for summer weekend thrills and track and I have a 2002 W220 S Class Merc which has full air suspension and floats over everything.

I booked a model 3 for a test drive Friday in Florida and they let me loose in a performance dual motor version. I am now eating humble pie as I went in wanting to find fault and knock it back a bit but to be honest there is very little to find fault with on the car.

I thought the lack of an instrument cluster would be very difficult to get used to but - nope. The central iPod thingy just works. Speed is right there along with range and whatever indicators lights etc. Within a few mins it was totally normal. Its all in there but I didn't spend much time messing with it as i assume it will do everything you need and just takes a bit of time get it set up like you need it. Same as switch from Apple to Android or another OS.

Regen was set to low and I found I was backing off to early on the accelerator for the first 5/6 times as it is very different than and ICE. On standard I would think that brake use would be minimal when you had it dialed in.

Seats and driving position were all spot on and no issues for me at 6'4". I have the seat down and back and perfect as I like to be low and back. After the test drive I hopped in the back behind my ideal drivers seat position and I could fit with some room. Not huge but think more Aer-Lingus than Ryanair.

It was shod with Michelin Pilot Sports 255?? 35 R20 rubber and the ride was really good. Granted it's Florida smooth asphalt but over car parks, rain gutters, junctions it was very very good. It's not S Class but it's definitely 5/E-Class level or better. On 18's it would be really superb but its no 17 year old S Class for ride quality and road noise. However that's not a fair comparison, its outstanding for its class.

So out on the road - no Tesla sales guy only my buddy so we were able to have a play. Rolling along at around 25 to let a gap open up I dropped the hammer. I think we got whip lash. Both heads slapped back into the head rest. I was expecting fast but not that. It's not natural!! If Captain Kirk were in the passenger seat and asked Scotty for more power he wouldn't be disappointed, he'd probably have stained his starship jocks. This thing is warp drive 8 on steroids!

When the teen-ager laughing stops there's nothing else to do but repeat - it's like a drug. Next we head for the interstate, round the slip and up the ramp. Few flicks left and right for feel and it's stuck to the road like it's a mono rail. No roll or vagueness. This it a proper point and shoot machine. The turn in is nice and sharp, it's had some proper engineering. So we merge into heavy traffic now and there's a gap in the 3rd lane over. Hit the warp button again and bang we arrive in that lane at 90+ going WTF??? This thing could get you locked very quickly so time to back off and cruise. Head up a few exits and slip off to double back hoping for an opportunity of trying the traffic light drag race party trick.

Traffic was heavy so swing off on another road with corners ( a rare thing in Florida ) and try the auto driving thing. Flick it on and hold the steering loosely. Now I'm a nervous passenger so was very skeptical but the thing works. Full stop go traffic. Corners and junctions and it just works with no drama or brown trouser moments. It did wander slightly through the big junctions as it seems to be tracking the lines, in these case with camber changes the lines can disappear or cross so it seemed to be searching but it was OK. This thing is running really good algorithms, it displays all the vehicles its seeing in surrounding lanes and two or three vehicles in front in actual models on the iPad thing. Need a name for it?? If it's a truck it shows a truck. A car is shown as a car. Wild.

As luck would have it we get a red light and have pole position so it would be rude not too. We get a car beside us and the light goes green. Flat to the floor and instantly I'm braking for the next light. Watching the mirror I reckon the other car is still at the light??? This thing is so quick and has so much grip it's astounding.

So party tricks tested it's back to driving and this is a really good car. It's not perfect. I did notice wind noise on the interstate at 75 that seemed excessive but not sure if that's because the car is so quiet overall but needs a bit of research, maybe just the one I had but if you were a motorway warrior it could become tiresome if its normal. It could do with a grab handle over the passenger door cos the unwitting victim beside you is left looking for something to hold onto in panic. This one had a white interior and it has a white horizontal trim piece that is a bit glary - needs to go or get wrapped. Apparently there are 3rd party companies offering aftermarket panels as they just clip in. The visor clip was broken and the leather isn't leather but fake. Seats are comfortable though and well made. Room in back is good so it's capable of four adults in comfort. Boot is nice and deep and rear seats fold down so relatively practical and when down they are almost flat but not quite. Door handles are a bit naff, you have to push in on one side and that seems to open the door but then you have to get the other side to pull the door out. I'd say you'd figure out a system but just a bit weird initially.

To wrap up this thing is 57k USD here and the only thing that might compete performance wise is the new vette at around 60k? Could it compete in terms of comfort, practicality, and sheer A to B pace I really doubt it. I'm making that statement based on my Boxster S ownership and track ability. Personally there is no way I could make the Boxster match the pace of this over any road or track. I know it's all pc wizardry and voodoo magic but hey I'll take all the help I can get. Would I try and take one on - No way!! Anyone that thinks they can give one of these a run for their money better be in a modern super car and named Hamilton, if you are a mere mortal you better bring a hyper car to this gun fight.

Based on today's experience the current daily will be kept a few years longer and replaced with one of these or an equivalent alternative. The ownership models and valuations, second hand markets need to bed in and stabalize a little more for me to make the change. For me it makes more sense for me to put another 100-150k kms on the Skoda as its closing in on 300k kms at the moment its worthless and I maintain it so running costs are low.

All I can say is that the future is far from boring but could be potentially very exciting. I'll still keep some ICE as playthings and hobby but I'm now looking forward to these warp drive iPhones on wheels daily appliances.

48498420942_063cb9d624_b.jpg

48498246241_e7c8d90cdc_b.jpg

48498247056_ce3a15ed9b_b.jpg

48498248221_120c059f8a_b.jpg

• Advertisement

traco wrote: »
    We get a car beside us and the light goes green. Flat to the floor and instantly I'm braking for the next light. Watching the mirror I reckon the other car is still at the light???

Love this piece :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Winning a drag race where only one car was racing - pure win.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Was in Germany. They had white one in Stuttgart showroom and red one in Cologne.

Anyway anyone know how to contact them or do you need to use the contact box!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Sick of the wait. I have ulcers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

This image comes to mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I could do that in a Nissan Leaf :p The torque of EVs is very nice but you miss the roar of an engine :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Villain wrote: »
    I could do that in a Nissan Leaf :p The torque of EVs is very nice but you miss the roar of an engine :(

I thought I'd miss that but I didn't, still love the flat six sound in the Porsche and the induction growl but the acceleration with the silence seems to make it more dramatic as there's nothing else taking from the sensation and that's from a petrol head. Maybe I'd miss it after a while but in the context of a daily driver work horse the quieter the better for me. That's why the wind noise at motorway speeds is the one thing I'd be inclined to really check out.

The fastest acceleration I've ever experienced was a full launch in a Lamborghini Gallardo. Very quick and similar time specs but the 3 better and more impressive.

I'll be following them closely to see how new owners find them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

Glovis Cosmos just docking at Pier 80 SF, hopefully it will get the Irish rhd models loaded for mid September delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Teslablue wrote: »
    Glovis Cosmos just docking at Pier 80 SF, hopefully it will get the Irish rhd models loaded for mid September delivery

Come on Glovis Cosmos!!!

I am completely undecided on the colour of my Tesla ... so difficult to choose.

I used to have the black colour selected but then read that it is extremely difficult to keep clean and damage shows up easily.

I then decided on the red because it looks beautiful but now that the multi coat pearl is free it looks really nice to me... but I wonder how a white car like that is to keep clean.

I would think that white would be extremely difficult to keep clean etc but I never had a new white car before. Does anybody have any experience they can share on the colour?

Many thanks!

White isn't hard to keep clean.

My wife wants red but I think 2k for a paint job is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Partridge9

Lumen wrote: »
    White isn't hard to keep clean.

My wife wants red but I think 2k for a paint job is nuts.

Think the black is nice if you arent getting the fancy wheels..

The plastic wheels are a bit naff.. :(

Sorry - some really basic questions.. but still nice to know ..

For the BASE MODEL 3 - no extras..
    Does it have a standard radio ... i.e FM Radio (not internet)
    How about rear cameras and front cameras - on the base model
    Does it have IR proximity sensors ?? yea - still handy when you have cameras
    Does it have 'lane assist' nudge you back to the centre of the lane
    Does it have 'distronic' - i.e - cruise control that slows when you approach a car and then pulls away when car pulls in.
    Does it have 'Blind Spot Assist' - will it beep if you attempt to pull into a lane when a car is over your right shoulder.
    I am presuming it has cruise control...

If anyone knows that ..

I appreciate you will probably get all of this with the auto driving upgrade but who if going to fork out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Partridge9 wrote: »

Does it have 'distronic' - i.e - cruise control that slows when you approach a car and then pulls away when car pulls in.
    Does it have 'Blind Spot Assist' - will it beep if you attempt to pull into a lane when a car is over your right shoulder.

If anyone knows that ..

I appreciate you will probably get all of this with the auto driving upgrade but who if going to fork out for that.

Not trying to be smart but have you seen the Tesla website, all will be revealed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If anyone knows that ..

The entry level Model 3 is the SR+ - there is no stripped out version available.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but have you seen the Tesla website, all will be revealed...

Sounds smart.. Actually smart would include the answer - so just annoying then.

Only takes a mo if you know the answers..

If you don't - that's ok

FYI - I'd imagine a test drive would answer a lot of this - but I havent had one - maybe someone who has had one can answer

Think the black is nice if you arent getting the fancy wheels..

The plastic wheels are a bit naff.. :(
    The aero covers only take a minute to take off or put on. Leave them off except for the odd long journey where you need 100% range (although the covers and the wheels need to be clean to avoid abrasion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I may get the home charger sorted for Model 3.

Seeing as work is paying for it, what's the best option?

Would like to get solar panels/battery storage down the line, would that work with a Tesla charger or should I get a Zappi or other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Sounds smart.. Actually smart would include the answer - so just annoying then.

Only takes a mo if you know the answers..

If you don't - that's ok

Only took a mo to google :)

Yes to all of the above but I don’t know what IR proximity sensors are. I’m assuming something built in for garage doors or garden gates? Nothing came up when I searched so you may need to go aftermarket or use a sim-connected solution.

• Advertisement

Top Gear just reviewed the SRP and had some reservations about the steering compared to the dual motor 4WD setup:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/tesla/standard-plus-4dr-auto/first-drive

Here’s the initial review for reference:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/tesla/model-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Was in a Model 3 Uber in Portugal tonight. Was a nice place to sit although I thought the wood Trina. Little tacky. If anything the dash screen is too large.

That being said, I am surprised that it was an affordable alternative in Portugal at 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

The "next steps" has opened for finalising the payment and delivery details in Australia (per twitter) this morning and the first shipment of Model 3s has delivered in New Zealand and is moving onto Australia at the minute. It does feel like Tesla have totally overlooked their Irish customers.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Markjsca1 wrote: »
    The "next steps" has opened for finalising the payment and delivery details in Australia (per twitter) this morning and the first shipment of Model 3s has delivered in New Zealand and is moving onto Australia at the minute. It does feel like Tesla have totally overlooked their Irish customers.

According to the email I received our accounts will open for final payment around the end of August. If that’s to be believed Glovis Cosmos should be the ship carrying Irish cars. It’s just arrived at San Francisco port so would expect it to be departing in the next four or five days. We should start to see movement on our accounts a few days after that as they will begin to assign VINs once it’s on the move.

They also told me Irish deliveries are taking longer as there’s a different registration process. Presume they are referring to SEAI grant application?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Markjsca1 wrote: »

Agreed, I think we're such a small market that we really don't matter to them. Website still says "August" but everyone who's been asking Tesla has been told September/October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

hatrack wrote: »
    According to the email I received our accounts will open for final payment around the end of August. If that’s to be believed Glovis Cosmos should be the ship carrying Irish cars. It’s just arrived at San Francisco port so would expect it to be departing in the next four or five days. We should start to see movement on our accounts a few days after that as they will begin to assign VINs once it’s on the move.

They also told me Irish deliveries are taking longer as there’s a different registration process. Presume they are referring to SEAI grant application?

Link to Glovis Cosmos tracking
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:3448915/zoom:14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

jfk75 wrote: »
    Website still says "August" but everyone who's been asking Tesla has been told September/October.

My order page no longer has a delivery date:confused:

I have been told my changes to the order in favor of a AWD LR more than likely has impacted the date.

krissovo wrote: »
    My order page no longer has a delivery date:confused:

I have been told my changes to the order in favor of a AWD LR more than likely has impacted the date.

I seriously doubt it. My date's gone too and I didn't change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I've never had a delivery date on my order page :confused:

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Another Tesla crashed and burned with a violent fire,few days ago,in a country that we are not speaking about in Western massmedia...
    Any one heard about it !?

giphy.gif

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_izPjnfYV/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sabre Man wrote: »

Airbag looks alright...tough some batteries decided for a seasonal tree fireworks... nasty things ... loved fireman reaction:none " ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Russian-Tesla-M-3-fireball.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

cnocbui wrote: »
    Russian-Tesla-M-3-fireball.jpg

Ain't no fire like a lithium fire...

Follow up from test drive...

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Follow up from test drive...

Yep just received the same mail but it states Nov / Dec, I was sort of hoping it was a generic email to those that took the test drive, seeing yours is Jan / Feb blows that out of the water.

Don’t think many here would take a new motor in Nov without a cash discount and in the New Year we will have changes in the budget which may increase the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Yep just received the same mail but it states Nov / Dec, I was sort of hoping it was a generic email to those that took the test drive, seeing yours is Jan / Feb blows that out of the water.

Don’t think many here would take a new motor in Nov without a cash discount and in the New Year we will have changes in the budget which may increase the price.

Got one too,
    "Est. Delivery Timeline: November/December 2019"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So it looks like my very old prediction that we won't see the Model 3 on Irish plates until 2020 is rather likely now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

jusmeig wrote: »
    Got one too,
    "Est. Delivery Timeline: November/December 2019"
    I'd take a discounted Tesla in November no problem. A new cars a new car. Not bothered about people seeing me in a 19 plate for more than a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

I'd take a discounted Tesla in November no problem. A new cars a new car. Not bothered about people seeing me in a 19 plate for more than a month.

Interestingly they're quoting a 2 week delivery in the US, they've really started delivering in the UK now in volume.

Not a reservation holder myself but would would be rightly pissed off over the way they're delivering to UK purchasers who only ordered in the last few months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement