Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

You wont have paid your deposit unless you have configured your car?, I dont know what your point is.

Lots of people paid €1,000 to reserve also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You wont have paid your deposit unless you have configured your car?, I dont know what your point is.

Plenty of people paid a deposit without configuring a car, at least 180 in Ireland. My point is that you cannot cancel online, you are then at the mercy of the email response by Tesla to even initiate the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I sent them a email yesterday at 4pm....got a reply by 5pm. Maybe I am asking the right questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

hi all. long time lurker first time poster.
    just ordered a midnight silver m3p with black interior, no FSD yesterday.
    i was a reservation holder from early this year but was procrastinating.
    looking forward to joining in the debates :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

Well come and join the agonizing wait.
    Out of curiosity what was your invoice number? Would be nice to get a rough idea of the number of orders in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maulvand

Nice Choice- exact same spec as mine!

rg_lv wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what was your invoice number? Would be nice to get a rough idea of the number of orders in Ireland

looks like i'm the 350th

maulvand wrote: »
    Nice Choice- exact same spec as mine!

twins! i'll give you a headlight flash several months from now no doubt :)

rg_lv wrote: »

Mine ends 0194- ordered mid june

twins! i'll give you a headlight flash several months from now no doubt :)

I have a feeling it'll be at least 2020 anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

maulvand wrote: »
    Mine ends 0194- ordered mid june

Mid 267 ordered start of Jul -
    Useless stat : Average 2.4 orders every day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Hartunion wrote: »

Unfortunate stat: Average 0.0 deliveries every day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

All the ships that are being loaded, on course for zeebruge or due at pier 80 at the moment are Europe destined, so there is a drive to get cars to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How much is the annual insurance for one of these?

I am 599 order number so I got to get used to waiting. Still Tesla are clever there are 3 trim levels, 6 colours, two interiors and everything else is software...so only 36 variants, they can ship whatever and its likely they will have the cars your after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I am 599 order number so I got to get used to waiting. Still Tesla are clever there are 3 trim levels, 6 colours, two interiors and everything else is software...so only 36 variants, they can ship whatever and its likely they will have the cars your after...

What about AWD and RWD? Software also?

Standard is RWD both the others performance and long range are dual motor so AWD, actually only 5 colours, white, black, blue, grey and red, and two interiors black and white. The autodriving option is software. So actually only 30 variants and I suppose they know what colour are more popular so they can produce away without any notion what been ordered and just sort it out once they are landed. So it may be that somebody who orders a rare performance in white gets it first while somebody after a black on black long rage has to wait longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I suppose they know what colour are more popular so they can produce away without any notion what been ordered and just sort it out once they are landed. So it may be that somebody who orders a rare performance in white gets it first while somebody after a black on black long rage has to wait longer.

I’m just speculating but I’d imagine the batches they try to shift out the door ASAP are the ones with higher margin specs to make everyone feel comfortable with the next earnings call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

cnocbui wrote: »
    How much is the annual insurance for one of these?

I was quoted 600 fully comp with wife as named driver by axa

Edit - for a performance in white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Hartunion wrote: »
    Mid 267 ordered start of Jul -

Where do you find your invoice number? I ordered last week, only have the order agreement document with no invoice number.

Edit: realised I was in the UK site, changed to Ireland and an additional document is added about gray markets??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Reag

dec2000 wrote: »
    Where do you find your invoice number? I ordered last week, only have the order agreement document with no invoice number.

Edit: realised I was in the UK site, changed to Ireland and an additional document is added about gray markets??

The booking invoice will probably appear by tomorrow. It was next day for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    Nobody has put down any cash.

The staff in Sandyford haven't a clue when the cars will be delivered. Completely pointless to ring them unless you want to waste your own time and wind yourself up even further.

Totally agree - my point is that you guys are being lead down the garden path, putting a deposit on a €50-70k car in May with an August delivery estimate (or was it even ‘end July’?), and now it’s at a point that you literally cannot believe a word that Tesla say, the garage hasn’t a clue either, but you’ll still give them that cash, and there are even people tracking SHIPS leaving a San Franciscan port, which when you think about it is frankly ridiculous; scouring the internet for info on your €60k car delivery.
    If it was Mercedes or bmw there would be war.
    Tesla get the ‘early adopter free pass’.

People will eventually get their cars, no doubt love them, and all this will be forgotten until the next batch of people put their deposits down, probably me included :D

They could have just said in May ‘order now for January’. Problem solved.

Tesla are doing their best to supply the cars but the demand is just too high. Also due to the Brexit and the GB August new reg vs. Irish looming 201 situation they probably try to get as many cars as possible to UK in the next couple of months. The manufacturing situation won't ease until the GF3 starts production sometime late this year.

Tesla are not the only BEV supplier struggling. Try to order a Niro EV today and see what the delivery date is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 alexpowermetal

samih wrote: »
    Tesla are not the only BEV supplier struggling. Try to order a Niro EV today and see what the delivery date is.

That's the thing, if you order Kona you will be told, say, 11 months. But apart from Tesla, you will get it in 11 months, not 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's the thing, if you order Kona you will be told, say, 11 months. But apart from Tesla, you will get it in 11 months, not 18 months.
    You're told 11 months but it's not accurate either it's a guess

• Advertisement

Tesla totally relies on getting the maximum revenue to keep the shorts at bay and have the competitors eyes on them peddling FUD at the smallest opportunity so have to be a bit clever with the deliveries compared to the other manufacturers.

Waiting for the shiny sucks but at this stage for most owners getting a 201 instead of 192 reg financially makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

sk8board wrote: »
    Totally agree - my point is that you guys are being lead down the garden path, putting a deposit on a €50-70k car in May with an August delivery estimate (or was it even ‘end July’?), and now it’s at a point that you literally cannot believe a word that Tesla say, the garage hasn’t a clue either, but you’ll still give them that cash, and there are even people tracking SHIPS leaving a San Franciscan port, which when you think about it is frankly ridiculous; scouring the internet for info on your €60k car delivery.

People will eventually get their cars, no doubt love them, and all this will be forgotten until the next batch of people put their deposits down, probably me included :D

The people getting upset, have not been paying attention to the fact they have been consistently late for 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

BMW are getting the traditional ICE supplier free pass on many issues.

Could you imagine the meltdowns if the E46 bootfloor and subframe issues cropped up on a Tesla.

Swings and roundabouts really.

Tesla have messed up on things but I'm saying that ICE cars can also get a free pass on issues that shouldn't happen .

for what it's worth, my 5 series was recalled (likeevery other diesel bmw i believe), took me 5 months to get an appointment to have the work done, then on the day i had to bring it in I was told my BMW Ireland that they'd only give me a loaner car if "after inspection" the car "needed recall work". And even then it'd be a compact rental car provided by Europcar.
    So basically, I was asked to drive across the city to the nearest BMW garage, wait for them to assess if the car needs the work and then decide if I'm worthy of a loaner car while they fix their ****up. This happened on the same day I was due to test drive the Model 3 :P

So yeah. BMW don't have all the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Two points:
    1. Buying from a small manufacturer like this is akin to getting something on Kickstarter. It's almost always going to be delayed and there's going to be issues, especially if the thing being sold "goes viral."
    2. I own (and love) my Mazda. But in the last 18 months I've had both wing mirror motors replaced due to separate issues, there's a new recall on the windscreen wipers and I had to pay a stupid amount to get CarPlay installed on a 1 year old car. This stuff happens on items as complex as cars. But Mazda isn't as sexy a company compared to Tesla, so their issues fly under the radar.

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    Waiting for the shiny sucks .

Giggle.......

You guys referring above to trouble with other manufacturers like bmw and Mazda are referring to post delivery quality/warranty issues - not pre delivery issues.
    (I have a bmw from new with the usual warranty recalls too. On that front, google some of the repair bills for minor Model 3 crash damage in their home market and it’s simply bananas)

When was the last time a car manufacturer told you your €60k car (and hundreds of others) would be delivered in 2 months time and then decided it might be 6-8 months, and then simply shrugged their shoulders.

My experience of European new cars is that they can tell me the build number and build week.

Someone above said it best when they said giving tesla your money is like giving it to a kickstarter.

Tesla delivered 250k cars last year...they are bigger than Mitsbuishi motors.

Tesla delivered 250k cars last year...they are bigger than Mitsbuishi motors.

And yet they can’t get the build and delivery weeks correct.

No they just dont give a **** about ireland...get over it.

Tesla are in a growth phase with the most efficient ev in the market, it’s worth the wait to be one of the first to get a gadget disguised as a car with super safety features. Without Tesla there would not be a drive by other car manufacturers to enter the market, looking at their expansion drive it maybe another 2 to 3 years before they show a profit but by then it will be the old marks that are struggling as per in Norway where a 95% reduction in diesel sales has occurred due to Tesla and their government subsidies and Tesla will have put its name down as one of the top marks to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Teslablue wrote: »
    Tesla are in a growth phase with the most efficient ev in the market, it’s worth the wait to be one of the first to get a gadget disguised as a car with super safety features. Without Tesla there would not be a drive by other car manufacturers to enter the market, looking at their expansion drive it maybe another 2 to 3 years before they show a profit but by then it will be the old marks that are struggling as per in Norway where a 95% reduction in diesel sales has occurred due to Tesla and their government subsidies and Tesla will have put its name down as one of the top marks to buy.

Norway's a laugh as an example. They still sell and export all the oil they can manage to get out of the ground so it's utterly irrelevant whether their car fleet is primarily petrol driven or EV. Norway's contribution to global CO2 would easily be in the top 3 per head of population and what powers their cars would make not a jot of difference to that.

The expansion of ev’s is not primarily driven by people’s desire to reduce Carbon emissions but by the fact that you can get a car that feels like a supercar where acceleration etc is concerned. The eventual environmental reduction in emissions is a by product of this and as the prices come down over time (ev cars are only infants in the car market) the market percentage will increase as it has in Norway due to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

cnocbui wrote: »
    Norway's a laugh as an example. They still sell and export all the oil they can manage to get out of the ground so it's utterly irrelevant whether their car fleet is primarily petrol driven or EV. Norway's contribution to global CO2 would easily be in the top 3 per head of population and what powers their cars would make not a jot of difference to that.

U sound sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

You guys referring above to trouble with other manufacturers like bmw and Mazda are referring to post delivery quality/warranty issues - not pre delivery issues.
    (I have a bmw from new with the usual warranty recalls too. On that front, google some of the repair bills for minor Model 3 crash damage in their home market and it’s simply bananas)

When was the last time a car manufacturer told you your €60k car (and hundreds of others) would be delivered in 2 months time and then decided it might be 6-8 months, and then simply shrugged their shoulders.

My experience of European new cars is that they can tell me the build number and build week.

Someone above said it best when they said giving tesla your money is like giving it to a kickstarter.

Would you cancel your order and move on already. If you ain’t happy get another car, it is not a problem as there are not enough to go around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I will wait however long to get this car.
    I get that other people has leases or reasons to want a car sooner, but I can wait.
    Massive demand takes a hit on delivery speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You spoke of Tesla getting a free pass with early adopters.

I was merely saying that the legacy makers get a free pass on a lot of issues .

I'd be very confident that if the E46 issue I cited happened on a Tesla - people would literally question Teslas ability to build a car.

But as a legacy maker BMW gets a get out of jail card because cars just go wrong and that's life.

On the delivery issues - it does look like Tesla right now are targeting the larger markets as we speak.

Cars are getting into the UK for example .

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nope. I ordered my Hyundai Ioniq EV in January for February delivery, but I didn't get my car until April. And that was 2.5 years ago when demand for EVs was a fraction of what it is now

Like Tesla, Hyundai could only make a very limited number of EVs and half of them were kept for their own Korean people. And that was before Ioniqs were even sold in the US. And even now, all Ioniq EV and Kona EV in the USA are only sold in California and they command full recommended retail price plus 3,000 - 5,000 USD

It's shortages, nothing else. Do you not think Tesla wants your money or something?

There is a silver lining as well. A car that is in short supply will depreciate very little. My car cost me €25k and is still worth about €22k in a private sale 2.5 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its a bit long and some waffle in places but some interesting bits around Tesla engineering showing positives and negatives on the Model 3 when they tore it down.... terrible body design, fantastic electronics/electrics etc.

Anyway, if you've an hour to spare take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Delivery ratios in the third quarter, the Europe/China ratio is 2/1. Of the first 9 ships planned so far, 6 have been destined for Europe. The first shipload has reached the delivery centers, the second is on quay in Zeebrugge. The third is on the Atlantic, the fourth is nearing the Panama Canal, the fifth is at Pier 80 at San Francisco being loaded, and the sixth is due early next week in port.

In the previous quarter, it was 7 ships going to China, 1 ship going to Japan, and 5 going to Europe, with the last ships leaving later in the quarter going to China, a much shorter journey. There is still room for one other ship to Europe that could arrive and deliver its cargo in time for third quarter deliveries, followed by a final ship for fourth quarter order fulfillments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think this has been posted yet, although from last week.

tldw: think carefully about how you're going to spot and handle discovery of defects.

i'm actually going to san francisco on sunday. Maybe I should pop over to pier 80 and slip the lads at the dock a few quid to get that ship pointed at dublin? it's probably like The Wire over there.

Guys - forget the ships - supply is not the issue for Irish deliveries. It’s a Tesla software issue that’s holding up deliveries. A ship a day could arrive to Dublin port and they still couldn’t give us the cars.

hatrack wrote: »
    Guys - forget the ships - supply is not the issue for Irish deliveries. It’s a Tesla software issue that’s holding up deliveries. A ship a day could arrive to Dublin port and they still couldn’t give us the cars.

It’s a margin call on supply to a large market at greater profit or a small market, the software issue is an excuse

• Advertisement

Teslablue wrote: »
    It’s a margin call on supply to a large market at greater profit or a small market, the software issue is an excuse

If that was the case they wouldn’t be building and delivering the SR. They’d be delivering the performance version only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement