Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    Hold on a second lads.

I too am disappointed with the €48k price on the road for the cheapest one in the configurator. I expected it to be less. But we don't yet know how much the short range (only available off-menu) is. Probably about €45.5k. And then there's the fact that Autopilot is now included as standard. So level 2 autonomous driving. I don't think that's standard on the new BMW 3-series though, is it? How much is that as an optional extra? How much would you be willing to pay for it? I have it in my car, it came as standard and at the time I would not have paid much extra for it. But I would not want to go without it now either. Take another €2k off the price and you're looking at €43.5k for a basic version. That compares with a BMW 318d manual (:rolleyes:) base SE version that lists at €44k

So basically it's cheaper than the cheapest manual 3 series. And then you'll save thousands a year on fuel alone. And depreciation is going to be less. And you will save on all other costs too. And as a company car you will save a fortune on BIK

All that taken into account it is not such a bad proposition, is it? If you ask me though, all versions above the SR+ are poor value for money (=high margin for Tesla) and all options are way overpriced (=high margin for Tesla)

Two small issues I see, I thought first the 35k filler off menu is gone, even the US recently said it was pulled? Plus they confirmed did they not that Europe would never see? Has anyone at Tesla Ireland confirmed a cheaper model?

Also your comparing a bmw with a Tesla, no harm but quality control on the 2 brands seem to be a bit different

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

This thread is in danger of going the same way the first thread went. We get it, some people prefer BMWs. Let’s not go down that rabbit hole again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Also your comparing a bmw with a Tesla, no harm but quality control on the 2 brands seem to be a bit different

I know you're talking about quality control not reliability, but for years BMWs were the cars that spent the most time in for repairs weren't they? I've owned two and while they very rarely just stopped dead and left you hanging, they both spent a LOT of time in for random issues with fuel pumps, coolant leaks, A/C issues etc etc. Looking at Consumer Reports this seems to have improved somewhat, but just saying that many of the luxury brands that the Model 3 is comparable too are not the most reliable cars either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I too am disappointed with the €48k price on the road for the cheapest one in the configurator. I expected it to be less.

It seems though that net price is even a bit lower that US price after you remove VAT, VRT and duty so not sure they could do much there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That will be interesting going forward considering BMW’s recent down grade in workmanship. EGR, timing chains, stability modules etc

I’ve 2 BMW’s in the drive currently and have a various amount of recalls. Same for the E60 and E90 that was there beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I will be deciding between the Model 3 Performance and the M340i, will wait until I can test drive both. I've a feeling that the M340i will be at least 10k more for similar options and will be considerably higher to run so my choice could be forced upon me unless I'm able to pick up a used demo M340i with a good bit knocked off the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

This thread is in danger of going the same way the first thread went. We get it, some people prefer BMWs. Let’s not go down that rabbit hole again.

To be fair, it’s not so much the bmw’s, so much as the fact that the €50-75k new car range is pretty much owned by bmw, Audi and merc here in Ireland. Bmw is the obvious lightning rod to represent them all.

I drive a 420d gran coupe msport. Paid just under €57k in July 15. I love it. Is a similarly priced model 3 a better value replacement? I think definitely yes. Tesla knows that too.

That said, I’m not jumping on the EV train until the model iterations and improvements settle down, Tesla spec offerings et al. my bmw warranty extension arrived in the post yesterday. €415 bumper to bumper until July 2020, which is great value and that’s what I’m doing again this year.

I think I’m not the only one adopting a wait and see attitude, rather than buy another ICE car in that €50-75k range.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

sk8board wrote: »
    To be fair, it’s not so much the bmw’s, so much as the fact that the €50-75k new car range is pretty much owned by bmw, Audi and merc here in Ireland. Bmw is the obvious lightning rod to represent them all.

I drive a 420d gran coupe msport. Paid just under €57k in July 15. I love it. Is a similarly priced model 3 a better value replacement? I think definitely yes. Tesla knows that too.

That said, I’m not jumping on the EV train until the model iterations and improvements settle down, Tesla spec offerings et al. my bmw warranty extension arrived in the post yesterday. €415 bumper to bumper until July 2020, which is great value considering bmws recent issues.

I think I’m not the only one adopting a wait and see attitude, rather than buy another ICE car in that €50-75k range.

I agree.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Performance model prices. very competitive in view of the spec and the performance, never mind the running costs, savings on servicing etc.

I think mid next year will be a great time to buy - and the Model S and X refresh will be bedded in then also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

digiman wrote: »
    I will be deciding between the Model 3 Performance and the M340i, will wait until I can test drive both. I've a feeling that the M340i will be at least 10k more for similar options and will be considerably higher to run so my choice could be forced upon me unless I'm able to pick up a used demo M340i with a good bit knocked off the price.

I quiet like the shadow edition of 330e

Not quiet the same performance of M340, but its still quick and so cheap in the UK

€35,000 or so all in after vrt etc for a 1 year old model

BMW lose so much in depreciation, great used buys

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905087727603?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2018&postcode=m52ty&body-type=Saloon&model=3 SERIES&page=1&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid – Petrol/Electric Plug-in&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hold on a second lads.

I too am disappointed with the €48k price on the road for the cheapest one in the configurator. I expected it to be less. But we don't yet know how much the short range (only available off-menu) is. Probably about €45.5k. And then there's the fact that Autopilot is now included as standard. So level 2 autonomous driving. I don't think that's standard on the new BMW 3-series though, is it? How much is that as an optional extra? How much would you be willing to pay for it? I have it in my car, it came as standard and at the time I would not have paid much extra for it. But I would not want to go without it now either. Take another €2k off the price and you're looking at €43.5k for a basic version. That compares with a BMW 318d manual (:rolleyes:) base SE version that lists at €44k

So basically it's cheaper than the cheapest manual 3 series. And then you'll save thousands a year on fuel alone. And depreciation is going to be less. And you will save on all other costs too. And as a company car you will save a fortune on BIK

All that taken into account it is not such a bad proposition, is it? If you ask me though, all versions above the SR+ are poor value for money (=high margin for Tesla) and all options are way overpriced (=high margin for Tesla)

I think of it in terms of what else can you have for 50 k on a 192 plate......

BMW 20d = boring diesel - loads of them about.

Golf GTi = Golf is what your sister/aunt/friends drive. GTi is an icon but thats down to tradition now. Great machine but due for replacement and is it really worth 45 to 50 k.

Volvo something or other = you get lovely interiors and the new Volvo styling is great. Suspension not always amazing though.

Mercedes = very nice but diesel blandness.

Honda Type R/Focus ST/Megane RS = bit compromised for daily use????.

Have I missed anything as I think I'd have Model 3 over ALL of the above.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I think of it in terms of what else can you have for 50 k on a 192 plate......

BMW 20d = boring diesel - loads of them about.

Golf GTi = Golf is what your sister/aunt/friends drive. GTi is an icon but thats down to tradition now. Great machine but due for replacement and is it really worth 45 to 50 k.

Volvo something or other = you get lovely interiors and the new Volvo styling is great. Suspension not always amazing though.

Mercedes = very nice but diesel blandness.

Honda Type R/Focus ST/Megane RS = bit compromised for daily use????.

Have I missed anything as I think I'd have Model 3 over ALL of the above.

Well naturally on an EV forum most of us would agree with you - but remember the tesla can only be bought since yesterday, so a top quality €50k ev car didn’t exist before today really and the 320d is a long-proven great all rounder, whatever our personal opinions.

The disgruntlement comes from the fact that people thought they might get a mid range model 3 for their €50k and not the base model, making the choice between their next new Audi/merc/bmw versus the completely unproven tesla (in Ireland), a little tougher.

Not everyone spends their time researching their next car like the rest of us!

Incidentally, i checked Carzone for 191 cars in 50-75k range and Audi/merc/bmw control a massive 70% of the volume (650 cars from 900 total). VW and Land Rover a far distant 4th and 5th.

Model 3 buyers will be predominantly trading from one of those 3 marques

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed, but Tesla is learning and improving quickly.

BMW is my favourite car make of all time. I have had more BMWs than all other makes put together. I miss owning one. All of them were a pleasure to drive. All of mine were old, but I have had very little trouble with them. All of mine were petrol. Many of them straight six and V8. I've always been a fan of high torque at idle, something you just don't get from a 4 cylinder engine, no matter how many turbos you attach to it. My newest was a 2004 E60 straight six. When it came to time to replacing it in about 2016, I couldn't find a petrol F10 anywhere. A few 550i / M5 in the UK but outside of my budget and VRT unknown for bringing one in.

Looked at other premium make petrol cars and there just wasn't anything. And I refused to go diesel. I had formed the opinion around late 2014 / early 2015 that things would go EV eventually and considered my options. And then I decided to buy a brand new Ioniq EV

If BMW released a 3 series EV with a hatchback tomorrow, I would buy it instantly. But unfortunately despite a good early start, BMW are years behind now when it comes to EVs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Rafal wrote: »
    Just received an email from Tesla titled “Model 3: Now Available to Order” (despite having already placed the order this morning) which states “All Model 3 orders placed before 10th of June will save €1,100 on Full Self‑Driving Capability.” Looking at the site, FSD is pricing at €5400 without any mention of a discount, or that it would be increasing 1100 on 10th June. Has anyone clarified this with Tesla yet?

My plan was to add it on at a later stage in order not to increase VRT by €880 at this point.

I called the Sandyford office a few minutes ago to clarify this. I was told that the email is not so much about a discount, but that the price of FSD will increase by €1100 on 10 June.

I have to decide if it is worth saving €880, because of not needing to pay that in VRT now, and to risk paying €220 more in the future if the price increase goes through. Taking the €220 risk to save €880 would make sense to me if the odds of the price increase not going through, or of no post-price increase FSD discounts, were better than 1-4 (p=0.2). Any Tesla-versed bookmakers around? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I called the Sandyford office a few minutes ago to clarify this. I was told that the email is not so much about a discount, but that the price of FSD will increase by €1100 on 10 June.

I have to decide if it is worth saving €880, because of not needing to pay that in VRT now, and to risk paying €220 more in the future if the price increase goes through. Taking the €220 risk to save €880 would make sense to me if the odds of the price increase not going through, or of no post-price increase FSD discounts, were better than 1-4 (p=0.2). Any Tesla-versed bookmakers around? :)

It might be on a sale in the future, so that's a factor. Black Friday, year end, quarter end, lots of chances of a software upgrade sale in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

AidenL wrote: »
    It might be on a sale in the future, so that's a factor. Black Friday, year end, quarter end, lots of chances of a software upgrade sale in the future.

+1

Tesla pricing is all over the place. I wouldnt pay for any extras. Bide your time and wait for the offers.

And, in any case, FSD is a long way off being usable in this country. You might not even have the car by the time its usable/legal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd agree, all inventory Model S and Model X are currently back to free supercharging for life, nice offer

considering the strong reaction for confirmed orders VW got a few weeks ago for the iD, a car no-one has seen in public, nor has confirmation on Irish pricing, I get the impression the model 3 orders are far more subdued?
    This thread is the top trending EV discussion in Ireland and I count less than a handful of orders, versus the number of confirmed deposits for the iD on the other smaller thread (notwithstanding the obvious difference between a deposit and an order).

You can have all the publicity, reviews and cool tech, but ultimately price trumps all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What length of warranty do Irish buyers get with the model 3?

Having looked at the configurator and considering the equipment list, I think it stacks up well to compact premium competitors.
    The question of quality would concern me though as would the viability of the company itself.
    Although I just watched car wow review where Mat Watson said it has better build than the model s.
    Cost to change to one may be a factor too if they can not offer competitive trade in values which seems to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sk8board wrote: »
    considering the strong reaction for confirmed orders VW got a few weeks ago for the iD, a car no-one has seen in public, nor has confirmation on Irish pricing, I get the impression the model 3 orders are far more subdued?
    This thread is the top trending EV discussion in Ireland and I count less than a handful of orders, versus the number of confirmed deposits for the iD on the other smaller thread (notwithstanding the obvious difference between a deposit and an order).

You can have all the publicity, reviews and cool tech, but ultimately price trumps all.

The ID is only deposits. It’s where the Model 3 was some years back. You can’t compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

ted1 wrote: »
    Anybody call into sandy ford to ask about the Sr?

SR, LR RWD and any other 'off menu' options do not exist in sandyford or in any RHD market according to sandyford.

• Advertisement

Hold on a second lads.

L3 (not L2) automatic driving on the 3-series costs 1700 (less on a 330e due to lower VRT), which also comes with LED Matrix headlights (which are massively superior to non-active beams as on all the Teslas

Recalling that there is 7.5K off the price of the 330e due to PHEV grants, you are looking at a much more luxurious, better built, sub-6 second to 100KM car for almost the same money.

The 330e (new model) pricing is not annouced, but before it was actually the cheapest automatic 3 you could buy (thanks SEAI!) and if that continues, it will be cheaper than an Model3 SR+

I thought the tesla would be a no-brainer whenever it finally arrived, and the BIK difference is the game-changer, but on a straight cash basis for a non-company car I think the Model 3 is nowhere near .

catharsis wrote: »
    L3 (not L2) automatic driving on the 3-series costs 1700 (less on a 330e due to lower VRT), which also comes with LED Matrix headlights (which are massively superior to non-active beams as on all the Teslas

Recalling that there is 7.5K off the price of the 330e due to PHEV grants, you are looking at a much more luxurious, better built, sub-6 second to 100KM car for almost the same money.

The 330e (new model) pricing is not annouced, but before it was actually the cheapest automatic 3 you could buy (thans SEAI!) and if that continues, it will be cheaper than an Model3 SR+

I thought the tesla would be a no-brainer whenever it finally arrived, and the BIK difference is the game-changer, but on a straight cash basis for a non-company car I think the Model 3 is nowhere near .

That’s not an full ev is it?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    I quiet like the shadow edition of 330e

Not quiet the same performance of M340, but its still quick and so cheap in the UK

€35,000 or so all in after vrt etc for a 1 year old model

BMW lose so much in depreciation, great used buys

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905087727603?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2018&postcode=m52ty&body-type=Saloon&model=3%20SERIES&page=1&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

add a tuning pack (the name ventur is in my head from an old memory) and it bvecomes quicker that the 340i also :-)

That’s not an full ev is it?

nope, plug-in hybrid. old one has about 20K EV range, newer supposedly a bit higher but it's a dinosaur-juice drinker fundamentally.

L3 (not L2) automatic driving on the 3-series costs 1700

Any link? Couldn't find it as an option in the configurator.

Any link? Couldn't find it as an option in the configurator.

I'm basing the L3 rather than L2 statement on the presentation by the german BMW rep at the G20 launch in Dublin, but the configurator option is "Driving Assistant Professional" which seems to be about 1744 on a 330i and would be less for a 330e due to lower VRT rates

I did google that for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecE6_A7uJZo seems interesting - 15mins plus without touching the wheel at lower speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

nope, plug-in hybrid. old one has about 20K EV range, newer supposedly a bit higher but it's a dinosaur-juice drinker fundamentally.

Wife's work colleague has one. Charges twice a day as the electric range is laughable. He was shocked when she told him the Ampera has over 3 times the electric range (which is still less than half a Leaf 24). They really are compliance cars.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Wife's work colleague has one. Charges twice a day as the electric range is laughable. He was shocked when she told him the Ampera has over 3 times the electric range (which is still less than half a Leaf 24). They really are compliance cars.

I have one (and an EV) and it's the best BMW I've owned (of 4) albeit I did have the gearbox and other bits rebuilt under warranty, so not sure about ownership outside of warranty...

calling it a compliance car laughably misses the point.... it's a Hybrid!

It also happens to have a plug, so if you have a 20KM commute every day (as many do) it's all electric, and it uses electricity for commuting which saves money and the planet.

While all the rest of the time it's an ICE....

anyone who charges this car twice a day has probably bought the wrong car.... unless they are charging from work because their commute suits that/they are a cheapskate.

we may be getting into something better suited to a 330e thread though? - my initial point was related to the value proposition of the Tesla not being as simple as many on this thread may think.

I have one (and an EV) and it's the best BMW I've owned (of 4) albeit I did have the gearbox and other bits rebuilt under warranty, so not sure about ownership outside of warranty...

It also happens to have a plug, so if you have a 20KM commute every day (as many do) it's all electric, and it uses electricity for commuting which saves money and the planet.

anyone who charges this car twice a day has probably bought the wrong car.... unless they are charging from work because their commute suits that/they are a cheapskate.

we may be getting into something better suited to a 330e thread though? - my initial point was related to the value proposition of the Tesla not being as simple as many on this thread may think.
    It’s a ICE and doesn’t belong in this thread.

I'm basing the L3 rather than L2 statement on the presentation by the german BMW rep at the G20 launch in Dublin, but the configurator option is "Driving Assistant Professional" which seems to be about 1744 on a 330i and would be less for a 330e due to lower VRT rates

I did google that for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecE6_A7uJZo seems interesting - 15mins plus without touching the wheel at lower speeds?

Cheers. I guess it's performance at low speeds grants it the L3 status. Very handy that the car starts driving again by itself after having stopped for a while. Ioniq doesn't do that and I believe Tesla Model 3 doesn't either. Performance on the motorway wasn't good though. No hands warning coming on all the time.

Cheap option though. I wonder how that works out for Euro NCAP for the G20. Must have LKAS / AEB / active cruise for 5 star safety. Don't know if it must have it as standard or if it is ok if it's an optional extra (on all models)

• Advertisement

It’s a ICE and doesn’t belong in this thread.

Can't say I agree with that. A lot of Tesla Model 3 buyers will have contemplated buying a G20 BMW 3-series. In any form. Petrol / diesel or PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Just a stupid question about the cheaper version on the Tesla website, its down as 415km range rear wheel drive version is this the SR+ model as these seem to be 240 mile(384km) range in US, does this have the 50kw battery pack? Just a bit confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Can't say I agree with that. A lot of Tesla Model 3 buyers will have contemplated buying a G20 BMW 3-series. In any form. Petrol / diesel or PHEV.

No disrespect intended, but I would prefer if this thread focused on Tesla Model 3 and preferably no other cars. May I suggest starting a separate thread titled something like “Tesla Model 3 vs Horsy Burpa” or whatever the specific comparison marque someone wants to discuss in detail?

Further, as a Tesla Model 3 buyer, I have not contemplated that car you have mentioned, I have no clue what it, or most of the other cars mentioned in this thread look like. Out of interest, how many/what percentage of buyers do you mean when you write “a lot of Model 3 buyers”—do you have a reference to support that?

FYI, I have zero interest in petrol, PHEV, hybrid, or especially diesel cars. :) I look for news related to Model 3 in Ireland on this thread, and I have found it, and many of your comments, very helpful. Thank you, everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I don't want to get into a pissing competition, but I've never had anything bigger than a spark plug replaced, so I'd consider gearbox replacements or rebuilds to be something confined to lemons. I've been driving for 25 years and my current car is 15 years old with 155k miles on the clock. It does need a new driver side wiper blade though.

Yes, my wife's colleague charges at home and again at work. Every day. His 330e is one of the reasons my wife rarely charges at work. Ironically there are several Leafs, and a Zoe too, but it's the 330e and an Outlander that spend most of the time on the single (dual headed) charger.

I get your point that it's a hybrid that happens to have a plug. But that's what compliance cars are. They weren't introduced for any reason other than to meet government rules on electrification.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I don't want to get into a pissing competition, but I've never had anything bigger than a spark plug replaced, so I'd consider gearbox replacements or rebuilds to be something confined to lemons. I've been driving for 25 years and my current car is 15 years old with 155k miles on the clock. It does need a new driver side wiper blade though.

Yes, my wife's colleague charges at home and again at work. Every day. His 330e is one of the reasons my wife rarely charges at work. Ironically there are several Leafs, and a Zoe too, but it's the 330e and an Outlander that spend most of the time on the single (dual headed) charger.

I get your point that it's a hybrid that happens to have a plug. But that's what compliance cars are. They weren't introduced for any reason other than to meet government rules on electrification.
    Only 155km after 15 years? Very little use. My bicycle has 80k km after 4 years. Back when u had the company car I’d do 50,000km a year. I found 220,000km was when VW’s start acting up.

My bicycle has 80k km after 4 years.

Does it have enhanced autopilot?

Does it have enhanced autopilot?

Even better, you can take your hands off the handlebars for as long as you want.

According to Lord Elon just now, they’re only offering white interiors in high volume markets, to “simplify product complexity”. looks like Japan (also RHD) is only getting black interiors too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/vincent13031925/status/1134968709796118528

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

jordan191 wrote: »
    Just a stupid question about the cheaper version on the Tesla website, its down as 415km range rear wheel drive version is this the SR+ model as these seem to be 240 mile(384km) range in US, does this have the 50kw battery pack? Just a bit confusing

Battery is the same. The numbers are different as US and EU use different tests to determine range. WLTP vs NEDC (I think).

Also, be careful if you are buying assuming you will actually get that range. It’s best case, perfect conditions, constant speed etc. Real world range will be less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

hatrack wrote: »
    Battery is the same. The numbers are different as US and EU use different tests to determine range. WLTP vs NEDC (I think).

Also, be careful if you are buying assuming you will actually get that range. It’s best case, perfect conditions, constant speed etc. Real world range will be less.

How much less would you say if you were driving it in urban high traffic areas all week. E.g. 10km into Dublin city Centre which normally takes me an hour and then for example on a 500km return trip from Dublin to cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

digiman wrote: »
    How much less would you say if you were driving it in urban high traffic areas all week. E.g. 10km into Dublin city Centre which normally takes me an hour and then for example on a 500km return trip from Dublin to cork

This site is really handy for this - https://teslike.com/range/

Yeah I know know 415km isn't real world Range but seen some YouTube videos saying standard range plus real world range was only 190miles/305kms, which isn't hectic for a 50k car, I have a deposit on the VW i.d but seriously thinking about the model 3 as I could have it in July but a 300km range might put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

jordan191 wrote: »
    Yeah I know know 415km isn't real world Range but seen some YouTube videos saying standard range plus real world range was only 190miles/305kms, which isn't hectic for a 50k car, I have a deposit on the VW i.d but seriously thinking about the model 3 as I could have it in July but a 300km range might put me off

It’s the same for all electric cars, rated range is always going to be more than real world.

If range per € is your main concern you’re probably better off going for something other than a Tesla. Despite what people were hoping for*, the Model 3 isn’t a mass market car.

*I’m fed up of people complaining about this also. Everyone took $35,000 and converted it to Euro, that was never going to be the price. When you add the 10% import duty, 23% VAT and €5-6,000 for VRT you end up awfully close to the prices we’re seeing for Standard Range Plus.

Price is always important but what I'm saying is you'd be hoping​ to get better range than a leaf if I was buying a model 3, I understand it's a totally different car and way more power etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

It’s a compliance car, plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Further, as a Tesla Model 3 buyer, I have not contemplated that car you have mentioned, I have no clue what it, or most of the other cars mentioned in this thread look like. Out of interest, how many/what percentage of buyers do you mean when you write “a lot of Model 3 buyers”—do you have a reference to support that?

Congrats on the Model 3 purchase. I saw a few last week in the flesh and the looks great up close. But you really don't know about the new 3 Series?

I don't see issue with comparing and contrasting the Model 3 to a car that is in the same bracket in almost all categories, except the battery of course.

For many who aren't fully convinced on an EV just yet, the G20 330e is a clear alternative, as it allows them to dip their toe into the EV experience on their work commute go through the process of getting a charger installed, etc, but never have to actually worry about range.

Just a counterpoint to the " of course it should be 50K" point of view.

a Leaf+ 62KW and a Tesla Model 3 SR+ are nearly identically priced in the US.

a Leaf 62KWh is Ireland will be 32-37K or thereabouts......

Is the Leaf manufactured in the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is the Leaf manufactured in the EU?

Well the 40 kwh is made in UK - I assume that the 62 kwh is too.

But wouldnt Nissan factor the UK leaving the EU with no deal into their pricing of the 62 kwh - with 10 percent WTO tarriff priced in????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

THe Leaf 62kWh will be around 6 grand more than the 40kWh and Nissan are incresaing the price of the Leaf by 1200 in July, so I wouldn't expect much change from 40K for a 62kWh SVE on the road price with metallic paint.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement