Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A recent trade deal done between the EU and Japan has 0% tariffs on Japanese built cars. So the Leaf being built in the UK or Japan going forward makes little difference.

US built cars are subject to 10% tariffs coming into the EU. It'd be well worth it for Tesla to open a European assembly plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

aren't ye forgetting the import duties paid when importing the japanese/british made leaf into the US?

all of these tariffs go both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

catharsis wrote: »
    aren't ye forgetting the import duties paid when importing the japanese/british made leaf into the US?

Leaf is also made in the US.

I have a leaf 40, it's a great runabout but nothing compared to model 3, might as well compare a micra to a merc, sure don't their names sound the same.

Now please can everyone stop with a this what about rubbish? Don't like the model 3? Think it's too expensive? You'd rather an ICE? What are you doing here? Yeah I know, this is the internet. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

catharsis wrote: »

They don't really. EU built cars are subject to a 2.5% tariff going into the US. One of Trump's bones of contention. I don't really blame him as the trade surplus in EU US trade is $140 billion in our favour, and cars are a large part of that, especially German built cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Personally I don’t think Tesla will survive as an autonomous manufacturer , if at all. They will be drowning in competitors in the next few years and the Ipace is a far better luxury car then the S

I also personally know 3 Tesla model 3 deposit holders that have just bought Konas instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

maclek wrote: »
    Now please can everyone stop with a this what about rubbish? Don't like the model 3? Think it's too expensive? You'd rather an ICE? What are you doing here? Yeah I know, this is the internet. Sigh.

The Model 3 was launched as an affordale car. The electric car for the masses. The car that would bring down the big manufacturers....people stuck up hard earned cash based on all these promises.

For years Tesla spending money on PR slagging off every other car manufacture. Mostly aimed at VW but also any other. Tesla and fanboys trying to say Tesla is the new Apple, poor Steve Jobs turning in his grave.

Finally after years the Model 3 arrives and the pricing is stupid. No car for the masses. They don't even bother giving options to some countries. You can't just brush it under the carpet when people want to compare to other cars. Every other electric car thread has comparisons to the competition.

Trying to slag off the Leaf is counterproductive as Nissan have done way more for the uptake in electric cars than it looks like Tesla ever will.

Comparing a Model 3 to a Merc? haha, not a chance

This is a Model 3 thread, doing a comparison to other cars in the bracket is standard for every thread on this forum and in the combustion engine forum. What exactly is the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

BoatMad wrote: »
    Personally I don’t think Tesla will survive as an autonomous manufacturer , if at all. They will be drowning in competitors in the next few years and the Ipace is a far better luxury car then the S

I also personally know 3 Tesla model 3 deposit holders that have just bought Konas instead

The I-PACE you buy today most likely won't evolve as much as a Tesla when it comes to new features. I spoke to a dealer recently, and he reckoned you even have to bring it in to get large updates. The Tesla UI experience is superior.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    The I-PACE you buy today most likely won't evolve as much as a Tesla when it comes to new features. I spoke to a dealer recently, and he reckoned you even have to bring it in to get large updates. The Tesla UI experience is superior.

The vast majority of luxury car buyers have no interest in “ over the air “ updates etc , and personally , and I’ve played woth it , the touch screen interface on the 3 is very poor, the Tesla is a car designed by computer geeks , the Ipace is a car designed by a luxury car maker with a huge history of producing upmarket cars.

Technology will not make up for a car badly designed for the target market,

The 3 will be caught between cheaper, but equally capable , variants and boxed out by German and other luxury makes competing “ above” it

Tesla has a window , it’s closed , and within 2-3 years you’ll see bmw , Merc, VW all filling the model 3 space with brands that have enormous customer loyalty behind them.

The Tesla will be the Stanley Steamer of EVs

Who is to say the I pace won’t evolve , you are just supposing to suit your arguments

Personally I would prefer going to main dealer to provide large updates. Less chance of issues. Car will need a yearly check up anyway so why not do all the software then and any minor updates during the year.

This would be standard for any software package, normally a big update each year and then small updates during the year.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    Who is to say the I pace won’t evolve , you are just supposing to suit your arguments

I said "most likely won't evolve as much as a Tesla". Maps cannot be updated OTA. You need to download the file to a USB drive and then install in the car. They are on a quarterly update cycle.

In what ways do you consider the Model 3 screen to be poor?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer going to main dealer to provide large updates. Less chance of issues. Car will need a yearly check up anyway so why not do all the software then and any minor updates during the year.

This would be standard for any software package, normally a big update each year and then small updates during the year.

Each to their own but I've never had any issues with OTA updates. It's just an update, like your phone. Do you also prefer having to go to eg. an Apple store each time you want to update your iPhone or to a computer store to get Windows updates? It's an outdated model and if there is an issue with an update it doesn't matter of you get it OTA or from a dealer. All a dealer does is insert a USB stick with the updates. The rest is automatic.

An EV shouldn't need a yearly checkup.

Each to their own but I've never had any issues with OTA updates. It's just an update, like your phone. Do you also prefer having to go to eg. an Apple store each time you want to update your iPhone or to a computer store to get Windows updates? It's an outdated model and if there is an issue with an update it doesn't matter of you get it OTA or from a dealer. All a dealer does is insert a USB stick with the updates. The rest is automatic.

An EV shouldn't need a yearly checkup.

It’s still fundamentally a mechanical device , so an inspection once a year is a very good thing , car servicing will change anyway , as dealers just become sales outlets and servicing will be concentrated , perhaps with a move to onsite servicing

OTA is simply not a reason to choose one car over another , and anyway every car company is moving to OTA sooner or later

Who gives a toss about onboard maps when everything will be CarPlay , soon cars entertainment system will simply be a placeholder for your smartphone, onboard maps is sooo 2000s :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The Model 3 was launched as an affordale car. The electric car for the masses. The car that would bring down the big manufacturers....people stuck up hard earned cash based on all these promises.

For years Tesla spending money on PR slagging off every other car manufacture. Mostly aimed at VW but also any other. Tesla and fanboys trying to say Tesla is the new Apple, poor Steve Jobs turning in his grave.

Finally after years the Model 3 arrives and the pricing is stupid. No car for the masses. They don't even bother giving options to some countries. You can't just brush it under the carpet when people want to compare to other cars. Every other electric car thread has comparisons to the competition.

Trying to slag off the Leaf is counterproductive as Nissan have done way more for the uptake in electric cars than it looks like Tesla ever will.

Comparing a Model 3 to a Merc? haha, not a chance

This is a Model 3 thread, doing a comparison to other cars in the bracket is standard for every thread on this forum and in the combustion engine forum. What exactly is the issue?

I would think that the likes of Model S and now the 3 (along with Tesla supercharging) are doing more for EV take up then Nissan.

Let us consider that the Leaf needs careful minding like an old car to stop the battery getting too hot because Nissan can't be arsed to cool it properly.

A far more serious issue then a Model 3 being 5 k or whatever too expensive.

Yes someone might now be buying a Kona because model 3 is too expensive.

But Tesla and Model 3 created the interest for that person driving an EV in the first place.

Can't speak for anyone else but for me it was seeing Model S people on youtube that got me following EVs more widely.

In any case Model 3 is far superior to what any other car maker was turning out 10 years or so into their history

To illustrate what Tesla actually achieved with Model S in an ICE car context.

Imagine if the first big product that Toyota ever made was the Lexus LS400....

Imagine if the THIRD car they ever made was the current Prius.

That would be god dam insane right....

Yet that's the sort of thing Tesla pulled off.

Back on topic - has anyone confirmed that European spec model 3s have different suspension settings to US cars.

UK reviewers testing European spec cars recently tend to have more positive reviews of the ride comfort then what you read re US Model 3s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

^those comparisons^ seem pretty worthless when the companies in question are starting from completely different start points and in completely changed markets.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Back on topic - has anyone confirmed that European spec model 3s have different suspension settings to US cars.

UK reviewers testing European spec cars recently tend to have more positive reviews of the ride comfort then what you read re US Model 3s

I doubt that Tesla would make a different suspension for non-US cars.

Tesla improves their cars all the time, so I think it's possible that the suspension on all cars has been improved. Since Model 3 is old news in the USA most reviews are probably old as well and don't reflect the newer cars being sent to Europe and China.

JohnC. wrote: »
    ^those comparisons^ seem pretty worthless when the companies in question are starting from completely different start points and in completely changed markets.

The comparisons are valid imo.

Tesla in year 4/5 were where it took most manufacturers 20 years plus to get to in terms of product.

Compare Hyundai 1989 to Hyundai 2019.

If Hyundai moved like Tesla - wed be driving Santa Fes in around 1993.

Instead the evolution was much slower - we had 5 years left of Pony and it's X2 facelift.

Then a crapbox Accent replacement and then a slightly less crappy Mk 2 and 3 Accent.

The Lantra in 1991 was actually quite promising but Hyundai just couldn't move the game enough.

It took until the 2001 Santa Fe for Hyundai to be a really proper brand. Even then that car just happened to fit nicely an emerging market for a car that looked a bit like a 4 x 4 but still drove like a normal car.

Even with Santa Fe Hyundai was just catching up.

Look I'm not slagging off Hyundai here - I'm saying Hyundai evolution is far more normal.

Bear in mind that Hyundai had actually been building cars for some years in 1989

Anyone want to message me a referral code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

The early 2000s called and wanted their release plan back. Don't you know its all DevOps and continuous delivery these days?

A lot of the 'discussion' in this thread appears to be beating on Tesla the company/business model or praising it without criticism. These are just cars, the Model 3 appears to be a good, mature EV with plenty of room for improvement. Yes it will disrupt the ICE business, but this isn't an attack on your current penis extension. Pricing arguments are completely moot, this is Ireland, with some of the highest car taxes in the world (and not ignoring the fact that a $35k Model 3 was produced for its US market). If you want to save money/the environment, buy an electric bicycle.

Back on track here - the car is ordered, I don't miss the white interior, it removes the temptation to order it even though my kids would destroy it.

Towbar - meh, I'll spend the money on decent roof rack and box/bike carriers.

Insurance - why are companies dragging their heels on this, the risk schedule should be same or less than a 60kWh, 2017 Model S?

Has anyone gotten an invoice number in 3 digits yet? 4075A0000000yyy

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Will wait and see outcome of Tesla. New x and s May help quality image.

Cars coming out very few years in Tesla m3 market next year/currently:

Expensive - ix3, gt, q4, jag, eqc.

Smaller - ionic, golf, the new vw models. The id is golf size. Measure it. There is a bigger size one coming years away mid 2025.

The only competitor will be polestar. Much better when it comes. Also the XC40. Surprised they are so reasonable actually. Think they said they will be making a loss. Polestar only online.
    As someone said there will also be a SH market here and Uk imports. Still with no competitors.

When Skoda Mazda ford whatever, bring out say current mondeo size for 30 k then Tesla would take hit here but that might be 6 or 10 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Hi all! I’m very sorry if this is a really stupid question but the monthly hire purchase price on the Tesla website is what I will pay to Tesla directly?

Or is this just an indication and I have to get my own loan from the bank?

Basically: are Tesla the bank and owner of my loan or do I have to arrange this myself from someone else?

It wasn’t clear on the website and this is my first time buying a brand new car.

Thanks all in advanced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I'll tell ya what I love about Tesla and the Model 3. Note I'm a reservation holder and could definitely be called a fanboy despite not owning a Tesla product.

Big old horrible incumbent oil and old Auto makers. For the last 40+ years governments the world around have been subsidizing the hell out of these industries, knowing full well there were viable and more eco friendly alternatives. Old men like Trump telling coal miners they have a bright future, while literally burning the place down around us.

It's very hard, almost impossible to come into a market and challenge companies that have existed for 100 years, and have been bailed out by their respective governments numerous times. But challenge and disrupt Tesla has. A car built by computer geeks from silicon valley, I completely agree. But this is the reason for their success and the sometimes crazy levels of hatred aimed at them. Big old horrible incumbent oil and monkey gassing VW....VS.....nerds who can play Atari games in their car. Tesla won't have the quality of jag for a very long time...but it's customers are the most loyal...maybe it's because they are getting a product that nobody else is selling yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also, they're starting to port computer games to be playable on the centre console :pac:

(Edit: I didn't actually know there was already atari games on there)

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Towbar - meh, I'll spend the money on decent roof rack and box/bike carriers.

Was considering the towbar for a rear mounted bike carrier.
    Not sure if it's much of concern, but it might eat into the range (again not a huge concern I guess on our tiny Island). You would get less drag from rear mounted carrier, but for all the times I would use i

Are you going for the Performance or the SR+?

• Advertisement

Yurple wrote: »
    Hi all! I’m very sorry if this is a really stupid question but the monthly hire purchase price on the Tesla website is what I will pay to Tesla directly?

This is just for representation purposes. Once you place the order you need to pony up 2k for the order to be placed, at this point you will sort out the finance with Tesla's HP providers (Probably our banks). You might get a better rate than the one shown, or worse.

jusmeig wrote: »
    This is just for representation purposes. Once you place the order you need to pony up 2k for the order to be placed, at this point you will sort out the finance with Tesla's HP providers (Probably our banks). You might get a better rate than the one shown, or worse.

Thanks! That makes sense.

So it is better to pay the 2k and see who the HP providers are and what rates are provided instead of arranging finance ahead of time through my bank.

I have a deposit of 25000 ready but the rest needs to be sourced from somewhere else.

Yurple wrote: »
    I have a deposit of 25000 ready but the rest needs to be sourced from somewhere else.

Nice1, know what spec you are going to configure?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Anyone want to message me a referral code?

Please let us know how high your invoice number is once you’ve ordered. Be interested to see how high it’s gotten. Thanks

Are you going for the Performance or the SR+?

My current car is 3 bikes so I think the SR+ will be more than adequate for my needs.

For the bike rack I was going to to get a 1-Up because they look great, but it needs a towbar and my bikes would still stick out into the slipstream and lane. A top rack is cheaper, can also hold a roofbox and most importantly, I don't have a garage to drive into and destroy the bike.

(The 1-UP https://youtu.be/2ZeYHrfX5iY )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

hatrack wrote: »
    Please let us know how high your invoice number is once you’ve ordered. Be interested to see how high it’s gotten. Thanks

I placed my order Saturday afternoon and it is number 95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

jarrieta wrote: »
    I placed my order Saturday afternoon and it is number 95

Congrats!
    It’s definitely unexpected that the model 3 is available for delivery pretty much immediately (July? Barely a few weeks away).

Looking at Tesla’s production numbers, it seems the surplus of orders versus production has now passed, coupled with deposit cancellations worldwide, and in effect they are now able to satisfy worldwide demand on a weekly production basis. Am I mad, or is that a negative signal for Tesla?

I have to wait an eternity for a e.g. Niro, but a model 3 is all but ready to drive away. (After a 3 year wait to order, granted!)

Nice1, know what spec you are going to configure?

This is the configuration I’m looking to get:

- Model 3 Standard Plus Rear-Wheel Drive
    - Red Multi-Coat Paint
    - 18’’ Aero Wheels
    - All Black Partial Premium Interior (sadly no white available!!!)
    - Autopilot
    - Full Self-Driving Capability

I wonder how difficult the red Multi-Coat is to keep clean ... is it worth going for one of those ceramic coatings I have been reading about. Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Tesla will be lucky to exist within a decade if not 5 years. The share price has been in serious decline and many top investors are shorting or staying clear. Could collapse at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

sk8board wrote: »
    Congrats!
    It’s definitely unexpected that the model 3 is available for delivery pretty much immediately (July? Barely a few weeks away).

Looking at Tesla’s production numbers, it seems the surplus of orders versus production has now passed, coupled with deposit cancellations worldwide, and in effect they are now able to satisfy worldwide demand on a weekly production basis. Am I mad, or is that a negative signal for Tesla?

I have to wait an eternity for a e.g. Niro, but a model 3 is all but ready to drive away. (After a 3 year wait to order, granted!)

I’m assuming it’s late July when we might see deliveries. There has only been about 1,300 RHD VINs registered so you’d assume they haven’t started RHD production in earnest. Based on the EU LHD timing, the first large batches of VINs was around January 5/6 with first deliveries to customers February 7 (but not in any kind of volume until February 14).

I’m guessing the focus will be on US and LHD deliveries for most of the rest of this quarter so we probably won’t see RHD production really kick off until towards the end of the month. Once we do it should be about 5-6 weeks later when we start seeing cars on the road.

My current car is 3 bikes so I think the SR+ will be more than adequate for my needs.

(The 1-UP https://youtu.be/2ZeYHrfX5iY )

The Tesla roof rack is 600 dollars, the tow is 1000, but then u would need to purchase a rear bike rack on top of that.

The early 2000s called and wanted their release plan back. Don't you know its all DevOps and continuous delivery these days?

Seems like you don't really understand the difference between critical software and an app on your phone. Personally the software in my car I would classify as critical.....

Out of the reservations in Ireland do they have any numbers to say who has taken up the order based on pricing release and who has dropped out?

Would be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

Decided to take the plunge, but on the fence about which model to go for.
    I am going to make a pro and con list. Feel free to correct me

Model 3 Standard range plus
    Weighs 200Kg less
    More efficient
    12k Euro cheaper

Model 3 Long range performance
    Fast
    Better sound system
    Longer range
    Might have better resale

My daily commute to work and back is 130km, and i go to Dublin and back (around 300Km) once a month. The new Enfield charger is on my route.
    Also my wife has her dinosaur juice fueled car which i can borrow if needed

What do people think in the Irish context- is the Long range P worth the 12k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Tesla will be lucky to exist within a decade if not 5 years. The share price has been in serious decline and many top investors are shorting or staying clear. Could collapse at any time

4.7 billion USD wiped

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

rg_lv wrote: »

Weighs 200Kg less
    More efficient
    12k Euro cheaper

Fast
    Better sound system
    Longer range
    Might have better resale

My daily commute to work and back is 130km, and i go to Dublin and back (around 300Km) once a month. The new Enfield charger is on my route.

The difference in sound systems is negligible. I did a side by side test in the Santa Clara showroom and couldn’t tell the difference. The SR+ is missing the subwoofer, but there’s phenomenal bass off the speakers anyway, so it’s not really a loss in my opinion.

Based on your needs, I’d recommend the SR+

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Weighs 200Kg less
    More efficient
    12k Euro cheaper

Fast
    Better sound system
    Longer range
    Might have better resale

I don't think anything you've listed there is worth 12k more. Sr+ looks much better value for money imo.

Weighs 200Kg less
    More efficient
    12k Euro cheaper

Fast
    Better sound system
    Longer range
    Might have better resale

There really is quite a difference. The performance is designed to compete with the BMW M3...which is a "car persons" car, or so I'm told. It's insanely fast and has track mode. All the vids on YouTube I see are people hammering around tracks having great fun. Overkill for the Irish commuter :) The extra range is the only practical thing really, and fancy wheels if that's your thing.

SR+ sounds like the ticket, has u covered for range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm taking the plunge next week - has anyone got a referral code ?

Seems like you don't really understand the difference between critical software and an app on your phone.

I'll get back to our Enterprise Architects and tell them to get back to the waterfall releases. Apparently, we made the mistake of running the company backoffice, website and product development in too agile a manner, our Business Owners are gonna be delighted to only have one major update a year. :D

Back to Model 3: Expensive roof rack is 600+, tow hitch and a 1-UP is guts of 2000 so it's an easy choice.

I'm glad the enhanced autopilot is standard, as it's a no-brainer for daily driving.
    FSD on the other hand, irrespective of its technical maturity, I don't see a point in buying an application that won't have legal cover for many years yet.

Insurance: has anyone got a quote for this car yet?

Max invoice reported at 95 in first two days, it's gonna be a strange sales curve once these get on the road and people start getting test drives.
    Tesla will be lucky to exist within a decade if not 5 years.

Can you just take this somewhere else, there's plenty of short sellers jerking each other off elsewhere on the internet. We're looking forward to first delivery next month which is way inside your doomsday schedule.

I would also love to hear some insurance quotes from people.

I am going to call around and see this week and will update here with the quotes I receive.

There really is quite a difference. The performance is designed to compete with the BMW M3...which is a "car persons" car, or so I'm told. It's insanely fast and has track mode. All the vids on YouTube I see are people hammering around tracks having great fun. Overkill for the Irish commuter :) The extra range is the only practical thing really, and fancy wheels if that's your thing.

SR+ sounds like the ticket, has u covered for range.

Thanks that's what i thought as well.
    The heart does want the performance but i previously owned a BMW 328i and now own a Scirocco TSI. Both get to 100km/h in around 7 sec. Don't feel i needed a faster car on the road.
    Now have to pick a colour

The difference in sound systems is negligible. I did a side by side test in the Santa Clara showroom and couldn’t tell the difference. The SR+ is missing the subwoofer, but there’s phenomenal bass off the speakers anyway, so it’s not really a loss in my opinion.

Based on your needs, I’d recommend the SR+

Thanks that made my decision all the more easier.

Thanks that's what i thought as well.
    The heart does want the performance but i previously owned a BMW 328i and now own a Scirocco TSI. Both get to 100km/h in around 7 sec. Don't feel i needed a faster car on the road.
    Now have to pick a colour

Yeah, what kind of a muppet would order a performance... shuffles feet.

Invoice is over 100 now. Not bad for a weekend haul.

Someone who will be grinning from ear to ear sometime in July, possibly power sliding around a secluded car park.

I'd get it if I could afford it, the repayments would cripple me...

• Advertisement

Ha ha, Congrats. We all will go of it if we could afford it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement