Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey crows

• 09-05-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

I’m posting this here as I think sheep farmers have more issues with grey crows than other farmers in general. I have a dairy cow with a wound on her tail head that is open now with about 10 months because the f’n grey crows keep pecking at it. She doesn’t seem to have any feeling in the area as she doesn’t react when peck. Last autumn I put a horse coat on her and this stopped the grey crows but then she got maggots there and when I removed the coat the pecking started again. I have coated the area with Stockholm tar but take take no notice. Is there any product I can apply to the area to keep the fcukers away from her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I’m posting this here as I think sheep farmers have more issues with grey crows than other farmers in general. I have a dairy cow with a wound on her tail head that is open now with about 10 months because the f’n grey crows keep pecking at it. She doesn’t seem to have any feeling in the area as she doesn’t react when peck. Last autumn I put a horse coat on her and this stopped the grey crows but then she got maggots there and when I removed the coat the pecking started again. I have coated the area with Stockholm tar but take take no notice. Is there any product I can apply to the area to keep the fcukers away from her.

If the tar's not working then probably your only option is to shoot the offenders. I'm suprised though as I find the tar pretty effective on lambs/ewes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

The tar could be keeping the air away from it so takes longer till heal? Try a bit off grease on her back we're they land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Tried the grease all around the area and even packed the wound with it to no avail, taking no notice of it, the wound is pecked raw morning and evening. I must step up the effort to try and shoot them, wont be easy with the long day and hundreds of them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tried the grease all around the area and even packed the wound with it to no avail, taking no notice of it, the wound is pecked raw morning and evening. I must step up the effort to try and shoot them, wont be easy with the long day and hundreds of them around.

Try a ladder or a Larsen trap. You can get big numbers that way. The Curlew project I help out with has had much success with former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Try a ladder or a Larsen trap. You can get big numbers that way. The Curlew project I help out with has had much success with former.

I rang the local gun club and I will have a trap tomorrow, Larsen I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement