Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play football with the Gardai? Sure do what you like

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Thats the world im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Isn't justice meant to be blind?? So no matter the circumstances everyone gets treated the same?? This country is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Should have suspended the sentence for 10 years to make sure he toes the line for a good while.

There's probably a lot more behind this story than in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its ridiculous but it goes on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It was his first conviction, there's a lot worse walking the streets I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

And he's from a good decent family

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's probably more relevant that the Garda offered that opinion as a victim, than as a Garda per se?

It any victim came to court and said similar, I imagine any Court would have to have serious consideration of it.

It was very decent of the Garda to take this approach. He clearly doesn't want retribution, I'm not sure why we should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's probably more relevant that the Garda offered that opinion as a victim, than as a Garda per se?

It any victim came to court and said similar, I imagine any Court would have to have serious consideration of it.

It was very decent of the Garda to take this approach. He clearly doesn't want retribution, I'm not sure why we should.

The law was broken at cost to the tax payer and it's his job?

The law was broken at cost to the tax payer and it's his job?
    But it seems Gda Gallagher was speaking in his capacity as victim, also.

It's only one of the factors the court considered but seems to have been an important one, and rightly so surely?

Doesn't say anything about him playing football with gardai in that article?
    The victim, a guard in this case, said he knew him socially from playing football.
    Doesn't mean he plays with the Gardai.
    Also, that guard was extremely fair to the offender, which happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

1st offence, no previous convictions, and he gave himself up voluntarily, this isn't the same as some joyriding thug who's been before a judge multiple times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

go on the chickaloonies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And the road deaths in Donegal go on and on.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Donegal, enough said

El_Bee wrote: »
    1st offence, no previous convictions, and he gave himself up voluntarily, this isn't the same as some joyriding thug who's been before a judge multiple times.

There is no mention of why he turned and sped off. Drunk driving? Stoned?? An innocent person doesn't do what this lad did randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

There is no mention of why he turned and sped off. Drunk driving? Stoned?? An innocent person doesn't do what this lad did randomly.

Well seeing as he wasn't being prosecuted for drink or drug driving . . .
    actually read the article - He's not been given a suspended sentence because he played with the gardai.

OP your as bad as the sensationalist bull**** red tops with that type of heading.

the suspect in this case
    1. showed remorse and contrition from an early stage
    2. Has no previous convictions

The judge has taken the view that hes not a danger to society and given him a suspended sentence. In other words if he does something similar or commits another crime he will serve the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

No previous convictions
    None since the offence which was 3 years ago
    Plead guilty at earliest opportunity
    Showed remorse
    Got 240 hours of community service

I don't see the issue at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It does seem to be a first offence in fairness.
    But why do the young lads from Donegal seem to be more prone to be driving mad than the rest of the country?

That is the question I would be asking because the amount of dangerous driving, and deaths by dangerous driving you hear from up there is very disproportionate to other counties it seems. County Donegal only has a population of about 160k.

That is the real question that should be asked rather than whinging about a young fella who was kindly given a chance by a guard who had the where with all to look at it at a human level.

I would say far play to the guard on this occasion, although I assume it will not be a popular boardsie opinion?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Well seeing as he wasn't being prosecuted for drink or drug driving . . .
    actually read the article - He's not been given a suspended sentence because he played with the gardai.

OP your as bad as the sensationalist bull**** red tops with that type of heading.

the suspect in this case
    1. showed remorse and contrition from an early stage
    2. Has no previous convictions

The judge has taken the view that hes not a danger to society and given him a suspended sentence. In other words if he does something similar or commits another crime he will serve the sentence.

That is my point ffs. He said sorry, but did he ever own up to why he was avoiding the Gardai??

the suspect in this case
    1. RAMMED A GARDA CAR AT 120KM/H

He should have been done for attempted murder. Not given a slap on the wrist.

On a human level anyone who will ram a Garda car at speed while running from them for some reason (I wonder why) and speeding on the wrong side of the road is a piece of ****.

• Advertisement

It does seem to be a first offence in fairness.
    But why do the young lads from Donegal seem to be more prone to be driving mad than the rest of the country?
    Great roads for driving? Lots of twists and turns and precious little traffic, in parts?

That and a pervading sense of hopeless nihilism.

Is Fruit of the Loom still shut? I think that was the moment the whole county just went "Ah, fcuk it"

Advertisement