Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Certifying a percolation area

• 09-05-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Anyone else encounter this issue? The soil engineer who initially tested/passed the soil on our site and proposed the system to be used, has now advised that he cannot certify the final system as there would be a conflict of interest. He is suggesting that our builder or engineer do it. Builder or Engineer has never heard of this and doesn't certify these systems and so we may end up having to employ a 3rd party soil engineer to certify the system...!
    When I pushed the soil engineer on why this was an issue, he said "he could easily end up proposing an elaborate system that was complete overkill for the needs of the house and that he might be only be doing this for the benefit of the percolation manufacturers." It all sounds a bit odd to me!"
    Can't quite understand this and wondered if anyone could shed light on it when building a house?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

how is there a conflict of interest? did he explain that to you?

the builder or engineer cannot do this, as they wouldnt have the necessary training / certification / insurance to.

the assessor i always use is the one who certifies the install... as they are the ones who designed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    how is there a conflict of interest? did he explain that to you?

the builder or engineer cannot do this, as they wouldnt have the necessary training / certification / insurance to.

the assessor i always use is the one who certifies the install... as they are the ones who designed it.

Well I honestly wasn't expecting him to come out with this and I didn't really push him on it... but I did say suppose the builder/engineer can't do it, then what? And he advised that we would need to employ a third party EPA accessor to come onsite and witness the build of it, take photos and certify it!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hummmm

im wondering if theres an issue with his insurance, and he doesnt want to expose himself.

a 3rd party assessor could insist on doing their own perc test in order to determine if the systems thats proposed will actually work... why would they certify someone else design?? i certainly wouldnt.

it also depends on how the condition is worded... does it say something like "a suitably qualified person should certify, with a min insurance of €1 million" etc ???

Advertisement