Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of funds for estate agent

Options
  • 09-05-2019 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

We have been bidding on a house and are currently the highest bidder. The other bidders don't want to go any higher, so the estate agent called and told us the vendor is happy for us to go sale agreed, but he needs to see proof of funds for the total amount of the property. We have a letter from our lender for roughly 55% of the property, we are covering the rest in cash.

I told him I'm not happy to do this as we have so much in cash, I don't want him seeing my bank account statements or how much cash I have. It's also across 3 different bank accounts and I don't want to send him all this information.

We are also getting a gift from my Dad for 20k.
    I told him I'd prefer to get my solicitor to write a letter confirming we have access to the total amount even if it takes longer which is what I will start to organize with them tomorrow. Does anyone know how it will work with the solicitor regarding the gift of the 20k from my Dad though. He has stock he's going to sell. Will I have to show these statements to the solicitor too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is understandable that they want proof of funds before taking the property off the market, just get a letter from the bank to say you have the mortgage and cash to cover your bid. If you don’t, or there is a delay, the vendor is well within their rights to go back to the underbidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Thanks. Yeah its understandable but the other bidder is also a bit below the min he would accept and we were the only ones willing to go that high. Il still try to get my solicitor to do it ASAP tomorrow.
    Im happy enough to show the proof but Id just rather have my solicitor do it.
    The bank did give us a letter but its only for 55% and the EA said he needs to see proof of the other funds to make up the total.

I don’t see what the problem is, you need to have the money to buy the house, they want you to prove it before they agree to sell to you, why are you hung up about this?

Just transfer the necessary cash into one account and show them a statement with exactly that amount plus your mortgage approval for the balance.

This is also literally not answering my question either its not really your business why I dont want to show my bank statements to someone who isnt my solicitor. If you arent going to answer it you dont need to post. Do you go around showing your statememts to random strangers? Ive never even met this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Your individual financial situation is unique in comparison to the run of the mill proof of funds from one source.

I think what you need to do is being covered already. You either comply with this request for this business transaction to proceed or you run the risk of losing out. Simple as

• Advertisement

Your individual financial situation is unique in comparison to the run of the mill proof of funds from one source.

I think what you need to do is being covered already. You either comply with this request for this business transaction to proceed or you run the risk of losing out. Simple as

I've already said we are willing to show it and asked the EA could we give him a letter from our solicitor which he said was no problem. The only question I asked was if anyone knows if we will have to show a statement for the gift to the solicitor too. We haven't got that in our account yet so it involves showing someone else's information. That's all. Everyone is trying to answer a question I didn't ask. The EA has already said a letter from my solicitor is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Move some money to another bank account and give them the account balance only

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

The onus is on you to provide proof you have funds to complete the purchase.

The estate agent would be more than willing to accept a solicitors letter I'm sure, this is common practice.

Your hesitance to provide proof is because you don't actually have the total funds.

You are waiting on the sale of stocks which once converted to cash will need to be transferred to you.

You will also have to sign paperwork relating to the gift at the request of the bank.

You don't have to provide anything to the estate agent, you are free to walk away and never have contact with the agent again if you wish.

I've already said we are willing to show it and asked the EA could we give him a letter from our solicitor which he said was no problem. The only question I asked was if anyone knows if we will have to show a statement for the gift to the solicitor too. We haven't got that in our account yet so it involves showing someone else's information. That's all. Everyone is trying to answer a question I didn't ask. The EA has already said a letter from my solicitor is fine.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you are being asked to prove you have the funds before your bid is accepted and you go sale agreed. Unless you show those funds, it is highly probable your bid will not be accepted. If the gift is necessary to buy the house, then you need to show them this. They don’t know or care how you get the money, but you need to show you have it now. Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi Marco Acidic Refrigeration,
    Im the same, have a cash sum to buy a house but I will not be showing E/A my account details. I will have a letter from my solicitor stating that I have the agreed amount ready should my offer be accepted..simplest way after all your paying for the solicitor to look after the purchase from start to finish...im not sure why others have made a big deal of it...best of luck with your purchase.

We have been bidding on a house and are currently the highest bidder. The other bidders don't want to go any higher, so the estate agent called and told us the vendor is happy for us to go sale agreed, but he needs to see proof of funds for the total amount of the property. We have a letter from our lender for roughly 55% of the property, we are covering the rest in cash.

I told him I'm not happy to do this as we have so much in cash, I don't want him seeing my bank account statements or how much cash I have. It's also across 3 different bank accounts and I don't want to send him all this information.

I told him I'd prefer to get my solicitor to write a letter confirming we have access to the total amount even if it takes longer which is what I will start to organize with them tomorrow. Does anyone know how it will work with the solicitor regarding the gift of the 20k from my Dad though. He has stock he's going to sell. Will I have to show these statements to the solicitor too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Asking for proof of funds is all very common and actually shows the sellers EA is being diligent.

Asking for proof of funds is all very common and actually shows the sellers EA is being diligent.

Id imagine it would be a requirement of E/A to make sure funds are there from bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'll be in a similar situation soon, as savings is in a few different places, including shares.
    I plan on asking the bank for a letter to say we have sufficient funds. Surely this is enough?
    I do understand that the vendor needs to see proof of funds, and I'd hope a letter like this would suffice.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I'm surprised they even let you bid without proof of funds. I wouldn't use that estate agent to sell property.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Hi Lorenna,
    Im the same, have a cash sum to buy a house but I will not be showing E/A my account details. I will have a letter from my solicitor stating that I have the agreed amount ready should my offer be accepted..simplest way after all your paying for the solicitor to look after the purchase from start to finish...im not sure why others have made a big deal of it...best of luck with your purchase.

The estate agent couldn't give a bollocks about your account details as long as you have enough to buy the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

We bought house at 415k. Had mortgage approval for 300k, for this specific house from our bank. I showed the estate agent this approval and explained bank would not have approved the mortgage had I not got the difference in my bank account. And I was not showing him my balance as this was private.

laotg wrote: »
    Tell the EA you will need to see his frims written policy on GDPR before you can provide him with copies of your bank statements.

And when they show the op, he/she will still have to show the money. Sometimes you have to get out of your own way, acceptance of the bid requires proof of funds. It’s simple, and good practice. If the bidder can’t show the money, property stays on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Get a letter from your lending institute and get a letter from your solicitor stating that the majority of the purchase is covered by cash and you have sufficient funds in your account to close the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

First of all.... Let's be honest..... The reason this is a problem is because you do not have the money right now. There is some faffing that has to be done RE your father selling something. The reason the EA has looked for this is because they do not want to accept your offer and take the house off the market and then find out that you do not have the money straight away.

A few people including yourself were suggesting that you get your solicitor to do a letter instead and of course your EA would be happy with that. But in order for your solicitor to do this, you will need to show them proof of having the funds first. They will not just write that letter on your word because if you turn out to not have the money, the solicitor will be in trouble if themselves.

And if you have the proof why not just give it to the EA directly instead of paying your solicitor (and you will pay for it) to do it for you.

It really goes without saying a solicitor will not provide a letter unless you have funds ready and available..
    personally, I will not show anyone except my solicitor whats in my account...my business and not relevant to anyone else, gladly pay an additional fee for letter...

BnB wrote: »
    First of all.... Let's be honest..... The reason this is a problem is because you do not have the money right now. There is some faffing that has to be done RE your father selling something. The reason the EA has looked for this is because they do not want to accept your offer and take the house off the market and then find out that you do not have the money straight away.

A few people including yourself were suggesting that you get your solicitor to do a letter instead and of course your EA would be happy with that. But in order for your solicitor to do this, you will need to show them proof of having the funds first. They will not just write that letter on your word because if you turn out to not have the money, the solicitor will be in trouble if themselves.

And if you have the proof why not just give it to the EA directly instead of paying your solicitor (and you will pay for it) to do it for you.

• Advertisement

Exactly, so why show whats in your account/savings to E/A, its private and none of their business...hence the reason for solicitors letter as long as funds are available..
    Balanadan wrote: »
    The estate agent couldn't give a bollocks about your account details as long as you have enough to buy the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I dont understand the reluctance from buyers to show proof of funding (especially when they have been told their offer will be accepted subject to it).

We dont give a FIDDLERS how much you have once it covers your offer. We are simply protecting our client from dreamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

EAs handling bank statements are walking the edge. GDPR and stuff. Asking for huge fines.

voluntary wrote: »
    EAs handling bank statements are walking the edge. GDPR and stuff. Asking for huge fines.

If they comply with GDPR regulations, they don’t have to worry about edges and stuff.

What a strange thread this is. The op wants to buy a house, and he seller wants to make sure he/she has the funds to buy it before taking it off the market, and the advice is? Don’t show it, it’s none of his business. The mind boggles.

Incidentally, the most pertinent fact in all this, is that the op doesn’t have the money, he she is relying on a gift, after shares are sold by father. Presumably this is why he/she can’t just get a letter from the bank confirming cash & finance is available. To those advocating a letter from the solicitor, how does that work ? “We confirm John/Jane has the funds to buy the house, except for the €20k she has been promised by Dad when he sells shares that hopefully will be worth €20k after tax on profits”

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Dav010 wrote: »
    If they comply with GDPR regulations, they don’t have to worry about edges and stuff.

Exactly
    Dav010 wrote: »
    Incidentally, the most pertinent fact in all this, is that the op doesn’t have the money, he she is relying on a gift, after shares are sold by father. Presumably this is why he/she can’t just get a letter from the bank confirming cash & finance is available. To those advocating a letter from the solicitor, how does that work ? “We confirm John/Jane has the funds to buy the house, except for the €20k she has been promised by Dad when he sells shares that hopefully will be worth €20k after tax on profits”

And again, exactly. This is why we ask for proof of funding. OP is not currently in a position to buy the house. That doesn't mean that the vendor wont sell to them but they are entitled to have all the info before making a decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Exactly, so why show whats in your account/savings to E/A, its private and none of their business...hence the reason for solicitors letter as long as funds are available..

Yes it clearly is their business because they can't sell the house to someone who cannot actually afford it. Like the OP at the moment.

A proof of 'ability to pay' is one thing, a bank statement is another. Bank statement is an overkill, EAs don't need to view your transactions or even your balance.
    It's in everyone's best interest to keep his personal sensitive information safe and private. You never know how such data can or will be used or will it be handled in a secure way or will it leak one day or be used for malicious purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Just email the statement with all transactions blanked out and just leave your name and balance in so they can see that. Plain and simple.

Our estate agent accepted that,
    If you want the house that bad don't rock the boat

Just email the statement with all transactions blanked out and just leave your name and balance in so they can see that. Plain and simple.

Our estate agent accepted that,
    If you want the house that bad don't rock the boat

What if your balance is multiple of what you need to secure a property? Would you still show it to a vendor?
    If you only have what you need to process this particular transaction then you're probably OK sending on the statement with all info except for the balance blanked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Jesus H, why are ye trying to make something very simple into something complicated.

If you have the money in the bank and you are paranoid about giving a statement to an EA (for some strange reason) , the bank will give you a letter stating that you have the funds available without stating exactly how much you have and where you got it. If you have it across a number of banks, they will each give you a letter.

As regards GDPR.... that's the EA's problem, not yours

Advertisement