Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity check before pressing the button

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (£506.39 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 TR (Black/White) CPU Cooler (£33.04 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard (£285.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£365.03 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£117.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£254.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (£319.97)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (£13.99)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (£13.99)
    Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard (£47.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech - G603 Wireless Optical Mouse
    Custom: Noctua NA-SAV2 chromax, Silicone Anti-Vibration Fan Mount Set (20-pack) (£6.80)
    Total: £2170.25
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-09 21:13 BST+0100

Change notes:

RAM: Should be a matched kit (4x16Gb) for best compatibility.
    SSD: WD Blue is SATA, do not buy. SSD for this use case should be PCIe, so something like Crucial P1 is great.
    GPU: Enough budget freed up to go for RTX 2060 over GTX 1660 Ti.
    PSU: Chosen model is SFX and overpriced. Lots of money saved with a similar ATX-sized model.
    Fans: 2x 140mm > 3x 120mm for intake. And Noctua > all.
    other: Silicone fan mounts aren't for noise; they just make installing/removing fans MUCH easier! I'll never go without again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Many thanks K.O.Kiki, revisions made and all ordered up. Will post a couple of pics and review once it is up and running.

So built it this morning no major issues apart one idiot mistake on my part during purchase. The original case I'd gone for wasn't in stock, so I went the the NZXT 500, which seemed to get decent reviews. All was going well until I went to add a DVD drive I had spare only to find there was no space for one. Doh! Not a biggy, but do still have some DVD based installs so will pick up an external USB DVD drive. The NZXT 500 is really a tidy case for cable runs but the drive bays are very inaccessible as well as no front air intake or DVD slot.

480605.JPG

Thanks for the advice re-parts, everything worked first time and powered up without issue. The silicon fan mounts are indeed a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

smacl wrote: »
    So built it this morning no major issues apart one idiot mistake on my part during purchase. The original case I'd gone for wasn't in stock, so I went the the NZXT 500, which seemed to get decent reviews. All was going well until I went to add a DVD drive I had spare only to find there was no space for one. Doh! Not a biggy, but do still have some DVD based installs so will pick up an external USB DVD drive. The NZXT 500 is really a tidy case for cable runs but the drive bays are very inaccessible as well as no front air intake or DVD slot.

480605.JPG

Thanks for the advice re-parts, everything worked first time and powered up without issue. The silicon fan mounts are indeed a joy.

Oh god, that's so clean looking. My computer is a mass of cluttered wires everywhere.

Oh god, that's so clean looking. My computer is a mass of cluttered wires everywhere.

Thanks. To be fair to the NXZT case it is a dream for cable management. Probably the tidiest of the last three builds I've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

smacl wrote: »
    Thanks. To be fair to the NXZT case it is a dream for cable management. Probably the tidiest of the last three builds I've done.

I think I'll be adding it to my wishlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What do you mean there is no front air intake? What are those two fans at the front?

If they are set to exhaust turn them around to be both intakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What do you mean there is no front air intake? What are those two fans at the front?

If they are set to exhaust turn them around to be both intakes.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340
    Airflow is something we haven’t mentioned so far. The H500 is the blankest, cube-iest of all minimalist blank cube designs, surpassed only by the S340 Elite. The H500 at least has a strip of filtered ventilation along the front edge of the steel side panel, as well as the top fan mount and the usual hole underneath the front panel. NZXT assured us that, despite appearances, thermal performance wouldn’t suck and that we should keep an open mind.

The stock fan configuration is two 120mm exhaust fans, one behind and above our CPU cooler and one directly behind it. The 100% negative pressure setup and the lack of any fans pointing towards the GPU was intriguingly strange. We did three standalone tests not in the stock configuration: no top filter (unnecessary for exhaust), additional 140mm intake fan, and both 120mm fans moved to the front intake slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Oh right I was going by just looking at the two fans. Weird design for a case tbh.

Oh right I was going by just looking at the two fans. Weird design for a case tbh.

Wouldn't be my choice again, pretty as it is. Compartmentalizing the PSU with cables running behind the mobo is really nice but the SATA accessibility is crap and I'd prefer the option of a drive bay up front.

Other side showing air intake

480739.JPG

Open showing cabling and SATA bay. You have to unscrew the bay to add a drive.

480740.JPG

Upside down text on the PSU had me wondering which way was up for a while, but is the other way up on the other side, the correct way up at the back and the non-symmetrical screws positions only work one way.

Air flow is in from side and bottom, out through back and top. I saw a video suggesting that the internal front fans didn't make much difference.

• Advertisement

Yea. Science Studio on YT suggested not using any intake fans on that case as it makes no difference to temps. Just get two solid fans for outakes as those NZXT fans are a bit rubbish.

Advertisement