Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money USA trip - best options?

Options
  • 09-05-2019 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭

Hi - I've done a bit of research and asked around, it seems the best way to avoid charges in the US is to front-load your credit card - no charges accrue once the card remains in credit - any other opinions?

I'm not sure however what rate my bank (UB) will charge, I'm thinking it should be ok though. If anyone has any experience of this please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

I got a revolut card for my trip to America in February and it's actually turned into my main card that I use such is the handiness of it. Great exchange rates and instant transfers to other users.

Only time you get charged is when you take over €200 out of an atm per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

kerry37 wrote: »
    I got a revolut card for my trip to America in February and it's actually turned into my main card that I use such is the handiness of it. Great exchange rates and instant transfers to other users.

Did you get charged from the US bank for withdrawing the €200 limit in USD? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

kerry37 wrote: »

Thanks. Yes that was recommended then someone else said it's not globally accepted in the US, how did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

+1 for Revolut all the way. Always pay in the currency of the country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Had read all the advice here re revolut but being 'old school' went with An Post currency card - rate not fantasctic but not bad - used it for 99% of purchases from cup of coffee to subway tickets to Broadway tickets. Only thing I couldn't use it for was our accommodation - it wouldn't accept frontloaded cards (they had informed me of that pre-travelling).

Brought small amount of cash for tipping etc but otherwise used the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Transferwise also issue cards and I used it widely in the US this year without any problems. You can transfer a balance into the account to use. I also used it for US flights, Lyft, Uber etc.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes that was recommended then someone else said it's not globally accepted in the US, how did you find it?

Had absolutely no problem anywhere with it. Used it for everything from buying into a poker tournament, restaurants, taxi, shops, bars, everything.

Most places asked for ID to see if the name matched the card, that was it.

Sono wrote: »
    Did you get charged from the US bank for withdrawing the €200 limit in USD? Thanks.

It's a revolut charge. Its in their Ts&Cs

Found any atm I used over there had a charge of it's own, usually $5-$7 ish

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I just used my Revolut card over there. I only took out a small amount of cash on the card for tips. I just paid with the card electronically everywhere else. In a lot of places like restaurants you can just add the tip on to the bill and just pay with card. I had no problems with the card being accepted anywhere.

Ok thanks all. I see Revolute use mastercard so I'd see no issues there.
    Also I see they use the interbank exchage rate, which today is about 3% better than the banks are offering - that's a big saving if I'm reading it correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ok thanks all. I see Revolute use mastercard so I'd see no issues there.

It's Visa for the standard card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's Visa for the standard card.

Mine is a mastercard.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My old one was Mastercard and my new one is Visa. Both are nearly universally accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mine is a mastercard.

They stopped issuing them a while back for the standard cards.

My old one was Mastercard and my new one is Visa. Both are nearly universally accepted.

Yes, same difference for my requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Probably of little use to most Irish-base bank customers, but Santander have a reasonable presence on the East Coast, and cash withdrawals are free for EU Santander customers. If you can't use a fee-free machine, make sure you take a decent amount out of the hole in the wall, or you'll get stung for a flat fee every time (not a percentage).

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Try N26 too. German based and they have their banking guarantee in place - Revolut not yet as fast as I know.
    They don’t charge extra at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi - I've done a bit of research and asked around, it seems the best way to avoid charges in the US is to front-load your credit card - no charges accrue once the card remains in credit - any other opinions?

I'm not sure however what rate my bank (UB) will charge, I'm thinking it should be ok though. If anyone has any experience of this please let me know.
    You’ll get crap exchange rates and currency fees. Get a Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Revolut.

Avoid ATMs in USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This is slightly off topic as it's not related to credit card, but someone mentioned the AnPost card, I'd avoid that completely if you're going to be doing lots of transactions, i.e coffees here and there. The GF got $2,000 CAD and the exchange rate they used meant she lost €150 whereas my bank fees amounted to around €100 or so and I used the card constantly. You'd want to check the exchange rate they're using but there's a reason why there's 'no fees'

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    This is slightly off topic as it's not related to credit card, but someone mentioned the AnPost card, I'd avoid that completely if you're going to be doing lots of transactions, i.e coffees here and there. The GF got $2,000 CAD and the exchange rate they used meant she lost €150 whereas my bank fees amounted to around €100 or so and I used the card constantly. You'd want to check the exchange rate they're using but there's a reason why there's 'no fees'

That's why I got Revolut. Inter-bank rate and no fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Try N26 too. German based and they have their banking guarantee in place - Revolut not yet as fast as I know.
    They don’t charge extra at weekends.

+1 for N26. Only have it few months idea was for hols mainly, load it park some in"spaces" and release as required so very secure. Only used in Spain/Canaries so far but worked perfectly. And I find the notification to phone within mins of the transaction handy. They are as said a full bank covered under the EU Deposit Guarantee Scheme Nil cost for basic card and up to 5 ATM w/d p.m. free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »

Just to touch on this again, my fees were actually €41.33 after spending €1,400. 1/3 the cost of using an AnPost card.

Advertisement