Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah Leaf burn

Options
  • 10-05-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Morning all - ive done quiet a bit of planting on a new site in past 2 years but have noticed after the last storm that many of the tree leafs that had budded have been stunted or burnt looking.

Does anyone know for sure if new leaves will emerge in there place? I was looking at pics of the garden from last year and the difference is huge on the foliage in some cases. Would be really disappointed if this is just they way it will be for the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

staples7 wrote: »
    Morning all - ive done quiet a bit of planting on a new site in past 2 years but have noticed after the last storm that many of the tree leafs that had budded have been stunted or burnt looking.

Does anyone know for sure if new leaves will emerge in there place? I was looking at pics of the garden from last year and the difference is huge on the foliage in some cases. Would be really disappointed if this is just they way it will be for the summer.

They will recover in almost all cases, but unsure of the time frame for recovery, you'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had 2 lovely big trees in my back garden, one was sheltered from a storm once by hedgerows, the other not so much.

I now have 1.5 big trees in my back garden. Never recovered.

Think the storm was around 2013 or 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

watching the resident gunnera here as the huge leaves took a real scorching.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

I was talking to a guy in a tree nursery over weekend and he suggested it was actually the bad nights frost around the same time as the storm that did the damage. Could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

staples7 wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy in a tree nursery over weekend and he suggested it was actually the bad nights frost around the same time as the storm that did the damage. Could be?

Here horse chestnut trees here took a hammering from the wind that night with the leaves being bigger and still soft having only emerged. Lots of other trees lost leaves as well- with the ground covered in young leaves and branches the next morning. The frost ertainly wouldn't have helped afterwards as the leaves had already been damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

My Acers are practically leafless after it, just a few singed stragglers left.
    I suspect that's the end of them. A similar thing happened to another acer a few years ago and it never recovered.
    I've a pear tree that is starting to regrow its leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

dos30 wrote: »
    I suspect that's the end of them. A similar thing happened to another acer a few years ago and it never recovered.

I have a couple of acers that have practically lost all leaves, it was a combination of very cold northerly winds and a hard frost last week. Had a closer look at them yesterday, i can see tiny new buds breaking out already, so don't despair quite yet !.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

dos30 wrote: »

Ive an acer the exact same. only had it 2 years and it was still small. Its a goner

Advertisement